1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Stephen Kings The Dark Tower Series

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by NeophyteNihilist, Aug 29, 2005.

1. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

Is there anyone else here who is reading or has read this series? I was thinking about making a fanclub, but I doubt they're are enough fans of it on this forum.

If you haven't read it, I highly suggest you do. The series is excellently written, brimming with origionality, and rather addicting.

Tags:
  2. Spectrum Active Member

I've read the first six books and the first half of the seventh, but after getting to a certain point in the seventh book I suddenly found myself hard-pressed to drudge up any will to continue. XD

Spoiler: Sorta-kinda Dt7 Spoiler
    Having not one, but both of your favorite characters suddenly killed in a seemingly pointless manner tends to do that to you. :noworry

I ended up returning it to the library; I figure I'll buy it when it comes out in paperback (I have the other six in paperback format) and finish it then. At any rate, disappointing end or not, it is a fantastic series. Definitely a worthwhile read. Glad to see at least one other person on this forum is a fan (long days and pleasant nights!). :p

3. Lacus Clyne So Long and Goodnight

I am new to the DT series, but I am already a huge fan. I'm one the third book right now. Very addictive series.

4. Yak on a Forums Break

Well, I'm in the mid of book 2 but I'm already addicted to Roland and his adventures. I'm curious how it all will turn out. King is awesome anyway but this is indeed his masterpiece, imo.

5. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Well met, NeohpyteNihilist, Spectrum, Cock fangirl, Yakkun.

This is the first time I've ever met Tower Junkies outside of a Stephen King forum. I finished reading DT 7 not long after it came out.

I suspect I know what part you're talking about, Spectrum. Nothing in this series ends the way you expect it to. But that's half with fun with Stephen King.

My fav was probably The Wastelands. Then again, I read it during my full-time insomniac days, and can kinda relate to a certain character's experiences.

How many other of SK's books have you guys read that relate to the Tower?

6. Rockreaper Death

I've read up to seven and am still trying to get the seventh. But i have to say, that is the best damn series of books i have ever read. If you started a club, i would join.

7. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

^I think I will start a club.

The only other SK book I've read is the Shining.

8. Spunkey Crackhead

If you make one I'll join it for sure. It's weird I'm new to these forums, and when I saw the bookstore section I was thinking to myself I gotta make a thread about the DT series, and it's the first post when I come in, must be ka.
    Spoiler: only read if you finished the 7th book
    Was kinda disappointed reading the ending, wish I had just stuck to reading the book and not the ending he added so hardcore fans wouldnt assasinate him, it was too cliché, he couldnt have come up with something better

9. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Some suggestions:

Gunslinger FC
    Tower Junkies FC
    Breakers FC
    maybe an "All Things Serve the Beam" FC?

Just a thought. I've got some archives of DT art that might be handy for a banner.

10. Einlanzer New Member

I'm about 1/5 through the last book but haven't had the will to finish it. I think it is because I dont want the series to end. I have loved the Dark Tower Series since I read the first book and it still remains one of, if not the best series I have read.

11. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Spoiler: only read if you finished the 7th book
    Was kinda disappointed reading the ending, wish I had just stuck to reading the book and not the ending he added so hardcore fans wouldnt assasinate him, it was too clich?, he couldnt have come up with something better
    [/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never read Black House. :)

Spoiler: DT Trivia
    Black House has THREE different endings.

12. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

Well this made my day:
    I'll be starting the fanclub as soon as I finish making the banner, which should be tonight or tommarrow.

13. DyersEve The Great Southern Trendkill

Words cannot express how much I love this series.

Walter o' Dim =

BAD

ASS

!!!!!!

14. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Yeah, I just wish King had gone with Vertigo.

Has anyone else read any of SK's other book that relate to the Tower?

15. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

The FC is up and running. Its called the "Dark Tower Fan Ka-tet."

16. General Shino Member

I just finished Black House...

17. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

I'll have to take a look.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  18. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else here read The Little Sisters of Eluria?

It's a DT short story King wrote for the "Legends" series of sci-fi/fantasy novellas, a tale about Roland's time in the desert.

19. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

^Nope, never read that one, although I've heard of it. Have you?

20. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Yeah, it's also got a Wheel of Time short I haven't read yet. (I wanted to read as much of that series as had been published by that point first.)

Stephen King's written a lot of books that related to the Dark Tower (technically, all of them do), a number of which either make references to things from DT or vice-versa:

DIRECT REFERENCES:
    The Stand
    The Talisman
    Black House
    Insomnia
    'Salem's Lot
    Hearts In Atlantis
    IT
    Rose Madder
    (short stories)
    The Little Sisters of Eluria
    Everything's Eventual

INDIRECT/POSSIBLE:
    Desperation/Regulators
    From a Buick 8
    The Shining
    (short stories)
    Mrs Todd's Shortcut

There are some others. I'll update the list when I remember them.

21. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Done and done. Check this out, tiGer.

22. Randir Wordslinger

My God, the last posting before the bump was in 2005- talk about thread necromancy. However, I shall be more than willing to accept it, for the Dark Tower series is easily the most fascinating book cycle I've ever had the pleasure to read. Not to mention the series' outstanding suitability for 'quote material', the thrilling plot and the vivid characters- I love them all. With the consequence that (here be spoilers for book seven)
    Spoiler:
    hardly anything ever stirred me so profoundly as the character deaths in the series' finale, particularly Jake's.

If I remember correctly, I got "The Drawing of the Three" as a Christmas present a few years ago. Of course, starting with the second book of a heptalogy is somewhat unusual, but you know the thing with presents. Either way, I started reading it, and upon finishing, it was set in stone that I wanted to read the entire series, come hell or high water.

Luckily, the series was already finished at that time, and I could merrily proceed to buy and read- no, devour- "The Gunslinger" through "The Dark Tower".

King himself supposedly said about the series, "Roland's story is my Jupiter."
    Boy, is he ever right.

P.S.: If there are still doubts about my DT-affinity, you might want to have a look at my avatar.

23. Tyrael I prefer the term Dream Weaver

I just recently purchased the drawing of three, I'm keeping an open mind to the series although I found the gunslinger was not all that great. I have heard it's far from the high point of the series, and since it is such an epic idea I thought I keep on going.

24. Randir Wordslinger

Well, while "The Gunslinger" is a fairly entertaining book, it's not exactly packed with strong scenes, except for
    Spoiler:
    the annihilation of Tull and the palaver at the end.

In my humble opinion, there's a significant rise of quality starting with "The Drawing of the Three" (which by the way happens to be my favourite book of the series.)
    "The Waste Land" is pretty strong as well, and "Wizard and Glass" is considered the absolute high point by the majority of fans. "Wolves of the Calla" is a double-edged sword: Some deem it to be the low point of the heptalogy, some (although fewer than the first group) say it's the best book of the series. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to agree with either one of those extreme positions, but I certainly enjoyed "Wolves..." a lot.
    "Song of Susannah" and "The Dark Tower", which are so closely connected that they're practically just one book anyway, constitute a very worthy finale for the series from my point of view.

Oh, and on a random side note, I'd like to mention that "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" is the single most awesome first sentence of a (series of) book(s) ever.

25. seventyGTO Emerald Archer

You forgot to mention that both Cujo and Pet Semetary are set in the same universe as 'Salems Lot and therefore in the same universe as the Tower. Also I beleive the Regulators is a relatively established direct link.

Don't forget The Mist.

Spoiler:
    Mist + Critters = stuff that lives in todash. It also bears a striking resemblance to the thinny described by Roland during his main flashback.

26. seventyGTO Emerald Archer

27. seventyGTO Emerald Archer

Oh, and some people think The Long Walk is related.

Spoiler:
    The shadow at the end is suppossed to be Walter

So it could go in indirect/possible

And I look like an idiot for responding three times to a poster who abandoned his thread over two years ago. Great first impression.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  28. tgre wait what?

My library doesn't have "The Gunslinger" but has every other book in the series :argh

FUCKING LIBRARY :argh

29. Tobirama GLORIOUS LEADER

Strange, I found the fourth (Wizard and Glass) by far the worst. The Drawing was what really sunk its hooks into me. It is fantastic how King has interweaved so much of his other work into this one.

30. Randir Wordslinger

Same here. I've never been particularly wild about "Wizard and Glass", except for
    Spoiler:
    the opening part with the showdown Eddie vs. Blaine. Also- shame on me- I've never been able to bring myself to like Susan's character. However, "Wizard and Glass" earns some definite bonus points for the noteworthy presence of Cuthbert Allgood. You just have to love this guy.

As for "The Drawing of the Three"... I'll admit that I might be biased towards the positive side there, seeing how it was the first book I've read of the series, but I think the introduction of the characters has been done exceptionally well even by King's generally high standards.
    Spoiler:
    Heck, even Jack Mort, whatever you want to think about his rather strange ideas of enjoying himself, is a thoroughly interesting character.
    And of course, you just have to love Detta Walker's charming personality.