1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Still think Asuma's going to die?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by lo0p, Oct 11, 2006.

Will Asuma pull through?

1. Yes, Asuma will survive

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. No, he'll be pushing up daisies soon

43 vote(s)
    56.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lo0p Bounce with me

I think he's gonna be fine now. Besides, it was sad seeing the 4th go and it would be even more tragic to see a relative of the 4th dying too.

Tags:
  2. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

Yeah, I still think he's going to die, just not as immediately as suggested. That was the worst injury that any good character without some super-healing factor or immortality has taken. It's very plausible that Asuma is beyond even Tsunade's help.

3. Spy_Smasher Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd mention that Asuma's related to the 3rd, who died.

Just sayin'.

4. Art ?

Yeah, I think he's probably still going to die, but at the hospital, or some other setting to make it a little bit more dramatic. Kurenai maybe beside him, talking to her, maybe making some speeches to a handful of people...typical good guy dying.

5. RasenganUltimate Member

It's sad, but I seriously don't see how Asuma can survive with all his major injuries and Hidan's final blow. There's no way Asuma's team could've won.

6. Freed One World

Yeah, pheraps he'll die at the Konoha hospital and then a teary-eyed Kurenai will reveal to everyone (and to Asuma, if he didn't know it already) that she is pregnant from him so that the 3rd's legacy will actually continue. That's if he dies though. If he survives, well that is another story.

7. Epizeuxis Success is overrated

I think he may end up dying, due to how bad his wounds are (although I can see the PNJ Fairy visiting him and healing him :notrust ).

Yet I just can't help but wonder how Izumo & Kotetsu managed to escape Kakuzu when he had his hands around thier necks (considering that he can block Nibii attacks, tear down steel gates, and all...). Figured he would have broken them like 3 year old would an expensive porcelain vase.

8. tictactoc can your soul handle it ?

I'm pretty sure Asuma will die in the next chapters. He will certainly reveal what he had tried to say to Kakashi, maybe his relationship with Kurenai or something like that.
    Anyway I don't see the point to keep Asuma alive, he did his time, it's time to let him go :)

9. Odlam Team 7 4 Life

He'd have put up a better fight if he was going to die. All there is to it really, the last hurrah simply wasn't there.

10. geG Very Rude

I actually think he's going to survive now. Unless he dies in the hospital or something. With a wound like that, I don't see him fighting against Hidan and Kakuzu again any time soon. Hell, I don't see him fighting again period.

11. blazingshadow True Wind Rune

what asuma wanted to say to kakashi was simple. if i die at the hands of an inmortal akatsuki please bang kurenai in my absence

12. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

Which is exactly why Asuma should die. There's more drama and story possibilities from his death than from his survival. If Asuma survives, then he'll just marry Kurenai and live happily ever after, but if he dies, things will change. Shikamaru will have another crisis of confidence, Ino and Chouji will have to deal with real loss, and Naruto will feel responsible and perhaps receive Asuma's chakra blades.

13. Sasaki Kojirō Active Member

Asuma should definately die now.

Why? Because at the sight of the AL's chin no one gives a shit about him anymore. It'll be the best thing for his impact on the story.

14. B Some bitch.

If Asuma will be in the hospital, and they say they will return..
    Kakuzu can just sneak in at night, pull the plug( if hes on life support ) and put a pillow over his face untill his breathing completley stops.. :nuts

15. Odlam Team 7 4 Life

lol, this right here is
    the only part you care about and you know it!

Like a pack of damn vultures, the guys not even dead and the corpse is already being pecked at

16. caius Member

Asuma's is horribly injured. He has the puncture wound in the leg, the burns, stomach wounds, and now a pretty serious chest wound. Hidan at least pierced a lung there, if not actually damagin the heart directly. We've seen that medical techniques cannot heal all wounds, as evidence by Tsunade's inability to save Dan. His wounds were to sever and they hit the vital organs. Asuma's in similar shape. Can he survive? It's a possibility, but his chances seem lower than Lee's when he neede his spine repaired. Asuma's are much more dire.

17. SGLP Karate Kick

So Konohamaru is just a house ornament?

My thoughts exactly. If he dies after that showing...He will reaffirm his level of suck.

18. geG Very Rude

Heh, I can see it now...

*Naruto walks into Asuma's room*
    Naruto: Hey, Asuma-sensei. How ya doin'?
    Asuma: Oh, I'm fine... I just can't really move right now.
    Naruto: I see. Well, I figure since you won't be using them anymore, I'll just go ahead and take your chakra blades.
    Asuma: What!?
    Naruto: Yeah... I want your chakra blades.
    Asuma: But I'm going to be fine. Really, I'll be able to get out of bed in a few days.
    Naruto: Hmmm... mmyeah, I'm just gonna take them now.

19. caius Member

I wouldn't say that Asuma sucked from this fight. Sad thing is, they were pretty much outmatched from the start. The odds were stacked against them and it showed. Not every fight ends with a bang, especially with someone stronger than you. Asuma's pretty lucky to still have a pulse.

You forgot this part.

Asuma: Look, I'm fine. You're not taking my chakra blades.
    *Naruto goes and locks the door before piking one of the chakra blades up and stabs Asuma repeatedly in the heart*
    Naruto: Oh my god, looks like that bastards ritual is still working. We'll get revenge for you Asuma-sensei. I will put your gift to good use.

20. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

Not true! That's just a bonus. I seriously want Asuma to die because dammit, somebody needs to die to puncture the shonen manga immortality envelope. The Akatsuki should be a threat to the characters we care about.

21. Odlam Team 7 4 Life

So what's Asuma got to do with that?

22. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

Well, "characters we care about" was meant figuratively, not literally. If Asuma dies now, then it will show that being a secondary character isn't enough to protect one from death. So we may actually, truly worry for Yamato, for Sai, for Shino, Neji and Tenten. (Okay, maybe not Tenten.)

Plus, he should just die, dammit. I'm sick of otherwise ordinary characters taking unbelievable injuries and surviving. It's bad enough in Bleach and One Piece; we don't need it in Naruto. Hidan struck the blow that he said would kill Asuma; what's the point of that if Asuma recovers from it? Why should we ever believe that any remotely important character is in danger again if Asuma survives being stabbed right through the chest in a vital location?

23. Odlam Team 7 4 Life

Actually, the secondary characters aren't really protected at all unless they are part of the chuunin exam crew imo.

Any other secondary character could easily be killed. Just slap on a touching flashback, add in some dramatic lines, and toss in a last minute super jutsu, and there really isn't a character that I wouldn't buy going off to a better place.

Now killing one of the chuunin exam crew, that would be something special. Killing Asuma? Doesn't really add anything to the story or break any barriers. I'm already aware somebody like him is perfectly killable in story terms, the only reason I voted against it is because Kishi had not fulfilled his prerequisites for killing a character, so I knew it wasn't his time to go. Kishi sends up a number of flags when he's going to kill a character, or at least make it look like he's going to kill a character, and we had zip here.

24. Mizura Meh

I was just about certain that he would NOT die after the first time he got cought but didn't die.

In a shounen manga, you die in a bang. Not as an after-thought. =_=

25. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

Tell that to Genma and Raidou. No good character with a name who is under 50 has died since Hayate.
    And that's annoying. Why does every death have to be super dramatic and/or follow a formula?
    But Asuma can still have touching flashbacks, dramatic lines, etc. and die very soon. He won't have had some spectacular sacrifice, but so what? Does every character who dies have to sacrifice themselves dramatically?

By killing Asuma, Kishimoto would show that his prerequisites for killing a character are not as strict as imagined.

26. Odlam Team 7 4 Life

They aren't really Kishimoto's, their shonen manga's in general to be honest. Just Kishi doesn't break from this particular part of the mold very often.

The fact that he set Neji and Choji's fake deaths up the way he did pretty much shows that he is perfectly aware and self conscious of these "rules", and he basically used them to fake the reader out back then.

So it's iffy if Kishi will kill a character even when he gives them the full treatment. But giving them none? Not a chance, even if it is a secondary character.

27. Rokudaime Active Member

So No One dying in OP/Bleach is brilliant while no one dying in Naruto is stupid and over-used trend??

Oh well...

Well, it seem that Naruto indeed a soft target that attract everyone in the world to bash it over and over.

28. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

But if Kishimoto used the rules to fake out us readers, couldn't Kishimoto also fake us out the other way, by withholding the full treatment and still killing the character? Right now, the most unpredictable but still dramatically sound thing to do would be to have Asuma die from his mortal wounds, which would shock the readers expecting Asuma to survive and gratify the readers who feel that having Asuma survive a supposedly fatal attack for no good reason.
    Of course no one dying in OP/Bleach isn't brilliant. In fact, it's one of the most criticized aspects of both manga. That's why it would be great for Asuma to die; it would be a clear point for Naruto over its brother manga.

29. Raptor Vagabond

Yes I think so. Het got stabbed in the heart and they still have at least half an hour to reach Konoha if not more. Soon he'll reach the point of no return.

30. notme 団長

Well, I think there is a huge difference between the stories, especially between One Piece and Naruto.

In Naruto, a huge deal is made whenever a death is forshadowed. "If you eat the third pill you will die." "If you use the 8th gate you will die." "I am only a pawn, so I can die." Kishi goes on and on about it really, but the only thing he is really doing by saying things like this, and then not actually following through with it, is to cheapen his story by trivializing the danger his characters are in.

Oda, on the other hand, makes no pretenses about his story. In his story characters just don't die, and that is part of the reason why OP is so great IMO. Killing well liked characters is by far the easiest way to invoke emotions from the reader, yet Oda has been able to do an amazing job of getting his readers enthralled in his work without resorting to it (or even threatening to do it), and I think he should be praised for this.

Bleach is also different, but only because KT does not go out of his way to say someone is certainly going to die and then not follow through (except with Himawari I guess).

*EDIT* I would just like to say that the only real exception to Oda not threatening to kill people is Pell, and that is the single most complained about survival in OP simply because Oda did claim Pell's death was certain and he did not follow through. In this instance Oda followed something of Kishimoto's mould and was, IMO, burned for it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.