1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Street Fighter Or Mortal Kombat which series was better back in the days

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Cthulhu-versailles, Aug 22, 2005.

Which Series was betterin the day

1. Strret fighter

72 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. mortal combat

21 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. ...OTHER

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

I grew up playing both and watched in horror as both became mockeries of what they where repetitvie venile boring games.. but in the days
    I usta enjoy mortal combat so much more

...sniffle... me and friedns gasping Omg that cyrax fatality is *ucking brutal.. haha get over here

Tags:
  2. SUSHI KILLER 4000 RULER OF ALL SUSHI'S

STREET FIGHTER 1 !! beats any mortal kombat game to come out.

Street fighter 2 and on ...its just a beat down like no other. Street fighter is the reason fighting games are what they are today.

No street fighter = no mortal kombat.

3. Powerman Well-Known Member

Street Fighter hands down. Street Fighter 2 was amazing and it's pretty much gotten better over the years. 3rd strike is THE best 2d fighter out there PERIOD.

4. G. Hawke The one who left

Hands down.
    It is the very reason we play Beat-em Up's these days.

5. Final Ultima Branding Breach

Street Fighter.
    Why is this even up for debate?
    Street Fighter.

6. narutorulez Active Member

love both of these two classic games but i like Mortal Kombat alittlebit more than Street Fighter

offtopic:do anyone know from what movie or tv-serie that SF 2 parody with jackie chan come from?

7. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

Without Street Fighter there would be no fighting game genre. SF started it all; SF2:WW is the mother of all fighting games, except DoA that was an adopted freakshow. Nothing beats SF back in the days, Super Turbo is still being played competively with tournaments today. MK went from good to horrible, the fighting system is horrible and 99% of the hardcore fighting game community detest it. SF just got better and better as time went on, for example the latest chapter of the SF story, SF3:3rd Strike came out in '99 and still the most popular fighting game today.

8. Jedi Mind Tricks <font face='Palatino Linotype, Arial'><font size='

Street Fighter, simply because I liked it more and the good memories.

9. Uchiha_Tsukuyomi Copy Wheel Eye (X_X)

Street Fighter is the best fighting game back in the days and it mortal combat suck

10. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I'm sorry, I have to go against the grain here, and agree with the original poster.

I enjoyed Mortal Kombat much more when it first came out, than I did SF2. Not taking anything away from SF2, but MK was much more entertaining for me and my brother.

11. megawhatever New Member

Street fighter aways had the better reputation

12. 13B_Zero Custom titles are troublesome.

Mortal Kombat's un-necessarily excessive blood and gore, choppy motion-captured graphics, and bad framework seemed way too immature compared to Street Fighter II in my opinion. But then again, it was that same excessive blood and gore that made it popular in the first place. I say if you wanted more of a good, technical fight, you probably will side with Street Fighter. However, if you liked to beat the computer by simply repeating the same back + low kick sweep move repeatedly, then do bloody fatalities to show off to your friends, Mortal Kombat is the mother of all old-school fighters for you.

13. monk3 Ryokan Pride

14. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

Mortal Kombat defenitly. SF had to many Ryu clones not to mention the fight used to get boring quickly. MK however had alont of things to do, like fatalities and stuff.

15. RabienRose Mutual Love

street fighter wins. it has got to be better than mortal combat back in the days :)

16. Wing-Zero Whoa!!!

street fighters cause it was the first fighter i played

17. Kami-Sama The one with the Lesbian Avy.

i voted other since i preffer Samurai Spirits 2......
    *runs and hides*

18. nigggs Guess who's bizack!

therefore, street fighter>>>>>Mortal

19. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Sean
    You can put in Sakura, but she's nothing like the others.

Number of Ninja clones:
    Sub-Zero, Sub-Zero (no mask), Scorpion, Noob Saibot, Smoke, Reptile (before freakshow), Ermac, and Rain.
    Am I missing anything?

Well just to make sure someone is gonna give me the "you n00b those ninjas have changed throughout the ages", so have the Shotos.

MK was very stale and relied on it's graphics and "cool" looking fatalities to prosper. There was no depth or much of a strategy to it, which is why MK is not even being played competetively, I have never heard of a huge major tournament having MK in it's list of games, ever. Both SF game ST and 3s in the other hand still has flourishing competetive play with a bagillion tournaments, especially 3s.

20. XxGreat Hokage NarutoxX Rasengan Wielder

street fighter all the way, ryu is the man!!!!!!!!..........but i have to admit this although it isnt part of the subject one of the best fighting games is marvel vs capcom 2

21. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

Yes but you forget one thing, those ninja's had different moves then each other, their only similarity was their dresses and even that changed with time (sub and scorpy wear diffrent style cloths now). Where the sho's all used hadokens and shoryukens. I am not saying it was bad just that compared to MK the fight became dull after you faced 3 shotoka-s in your tourny...

22. aLkeMiSt Curious

Definitely Mortal Kombat, fatalities, babalities, etc.. all make the MK games more appealing. And another great part of the series is the story.

23. NecroManc3r Guest

Pretty sure theres more than that O.o What about dan just off the top off my head.

Mk > All I love the powers and Fatalities.

24. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

Forgot about Dan, but I think that should be it.

Well...about the other post, saying things about all of the ninjas being different. Sure, Ken, Ryu, and Akuma shares 3 distinct moves the Hadouken, Shoryuken, and Tatsumaki. Back then it was hard to have a distinct difference between them, but now things have changed, now in 3rd Strike.

Ryu:
    Hadouken: Safe and heavily relies on using the EX version of it for knockdown.
    Shoryuken: 1 hit, comes out slower than the other 2 Shotos and has less range.
    Tatsumaki: Travels far, fast, good stun, and has knockdown. Always good to land.

Ken:
    Hadouken: Crappiest out of the 3, slow startup and horrible recovery time, another Ken player can super you even if they get hit at point blank.
    Shoryuken: Best out of the 3, starts up fast, and has a lot of invincibility on startup. Multiple hits depending on strength of punch, and can combo into itself if within range or if you have sexy Kara-Shoryuken skills.
    Tatsumaki: Horrible even when it hits. Ken is at a disadvantage right when he lands, once again another Ken can super even if he gets hit.

Akuma:
    Hadouken: Safe, can be used in the air in which the other 3 can't, and has a 3 hit Red Fireball.
    Shoryuken: Multiple hits, juggles, and has good priority and invincibility
    Tatsumaki: Flies low so it sets up juggles and does hefty damage with knockdown

Things have changed, they have all became different characters. Ryu and Akuma still shares some normals but Ken dropped most of that and has different kicks. Sean, Dan, and Sakura plays nothing like a Shoto...well maybe Sean but the only thing he shares is standard Shoto mixups. Too bad though, you think that it's dull that there would be a lot of Shotos, cause people nowadays cheer when you pick Akuma or Ryu in a tournament...too many Ken players. I find it funny that you call SF tournaments dull when MK has no tournaments at all...better than nothing...

25. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Retired Staff

I would say streetfighter is the better of the two. If it weren't for that franchise we wouldn't have Mortal Kombat or any of the other cool fighting series. Take away the origin, and we wouldn't even be able to have this argument and that's how important SF is to the gaming industry in terms of fighting-genre games. Mortal Kombat did push the envelope in terms of graphical content, and the controversy did lead to more games that tried pushing the boundary even further. But if I were to look back and see which game held my captivation in the arcade and home consoles for a loger period of time, I would have to say Streetfighter.

26. Sinful Perfect Taste

Street Fighter has some of the best characters to date. It sparked an Anime and a few Movies. It has the most well rounded fighters in any fighting game, atleast SF: 3rd Strike does.

27. Luffy2692 Come Play Warcraft With Me!

motal kombat for me. i always thought street fighter was a little to slow paced for me. plus, you cant be the fatalities! "FINISH HIM!"

28. Ah B Member

I enjoyed Street Fighter more. Never really got into Mortal Kombat.
    Haven't played either of them in a while though...should go to an arcade or something sometime. -_-

29. Insipidipity Ignostic Buddhist

Thats about as different as the different civs in Age of Empires while MK ninjas are like the different races of Starcraft.

The only character I thought was out of the ordinary was Zangeif for his grapples and those were hard to pull off.

Not only did MK have fatalities, they had knocking the opponent into the background, not to mention I believe Shang Tsung was the first person to be able to become anyone, spawning clones in games like Tekken and Soul Calibur. Plus, the moves had strategic value.

Streetfighter, you had fireball, ball of fire, close ranged multiple hit(chunli/Ehonda), and maybe a throw. Everything was solely about doing damage. Mortal Kombat, the moves involved Teleporting(raiden and Scorpion), groan causing nut cracking(johnny cage), freezing, spearing, invisibility, and moves that had tactical purposes other than causing direct damage.

Plus, people in SF were basically from around the world, MK had people from different dimensions and even nonhumans and gods.

30. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

^Lol, I'm not gonna argue, cause I got like a lot of stuff to say about the whole SF thing about not having strategy.

I guess MK appealled to those who were more into the whole graphics things, and the whole fatality stuff. While SF was more for the hardcore players who wants a real fighter with deep gameplay. I've been playing 3s competively for a year now, and I'm no where close to being a "good" player. When I say competively I mean, learning about my matchups, advanced tactics, combos, have keen reaction, execution, and mixups. Please don't give me the crap about MK being more deep than SF, because someone can sit down and play MK for a couple of months or maybe even a year and he's pretty much set to compete against "top" players. Put a guy down and make him play SF for a month or a year and he will be no where near top or average.

Things have changed since SF2 now, fireballs are nothing in 3s. So you don't have to scream about O.Sagat, Ryu, and Guile throwing fireballs all day to lock you down, now you can scream about Yun when he activates Genei-Jin, or when Makoto use Karakusa picks you up chokes you and proceed to bs stun combos. Oh yea, and also when someone picks Chun-Li...:S .

If those who are interested PM me, and I'll show you the magic of high level 3rd Strike play.