1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Styx

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by The Joker, Apr 12, 2005.

1. The Joker

I don't suppose there are another other Styx fans besides me here, are there?

Tags:
  2. Catatonik

I'm not really a Styx fan, but they have some interesting music...and they have Lawrence Gowan singing for them now...that makes them cool.

Gowan owns.

3. The Joker

I don't really enjoy Lawrence Gowan, but then again I can't say I dislike him. I have alot of his Solo songs, and he is a good singer. I feel Dennis DeYoung has that Styx sound. But, I have the best of it with the Dennis DeYoung Music of Styx album [Brilliant album]

4. Catatonik

Criminal Mind blows Come Sail Away out of the water.

I was never a huge fan of deYoungs voice...but he wrote some cool lyrics.

5. The Joker

Na, Come Sail Away is more interesting :) But then again, Babe and Best of Times are both much better songs than both of them. The only Gowan song I can say I really like most is Stephanie. Now if he did that with Styx, then great! Unfortunetly, when he did Come Sail Away and Lady, I couldn't listen. Nobody does them better than Dennis DeYoung. I find Dennis DeYoung singing voice to be one of the greatest, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

6. Catatonik

Admittedly, I actually only genuinely like a few Gowan songs, and a few Styx songs, but I have listened to most of both discographies.

I have yet to see Styx live, but I have seen Gowan live yearsssss ago.

7. The Joker

Styx are supposed to be preforming live 40 miles away from me in Manchester this year, but unfortunetly I can't go. Have you heard the song I mentioned, of Stephanie? My teacher ruins that song alot by trying to sing to it, so I have to listen to it alone now [Laugh].

I can still think of alot of songs that are better than Criminal Mind, but they are my personal favorite songs, so to me they are better :)

8. Vertlain

I've heard name Styx maybe once before, and I was curious, so I've downloaded random Styx songs, and I must say I like it! :smile-big Somewhat popish old-school art-prog-rock that reminds me of Kansas. Definetly my kind of music. Thx for the tip :)

9. The Joker

Ah, Kansas are a great band, my Father has alot of Kansas albums. I'm a huge Styx fan. If you've seen Adam Sandler movies, such as Big Daddy and Billy Madison, there are some songs of Styx in those, and people have said the line "Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto" many times, which is from the Styx song Mr. Roboto off the Album Kilroy Was Here.

Many of their best albums were out around 77-80, such was The Grand Illusion and Paradise Theatre. Believe it or not, I didn't want to listen to Styx at first, I was a huge fan of REO Speedwagon and still am, and figured Styx can't be as good, but I listened to a few songs and now I have a few albums, and a few live albums and DVDs. Definetly my favourite band.

Anyway, it's always nice to see someone else listen to a Styx song or two, and start liking their music. It's definetly some of the better music of the 70s-80s, and even 90s. I can't stand modern music, so I listen to this stuff all day. I highly reccomend getting the live DVD of Return to Paradise, very good album and DVD. Tell me if you listen to anymore songs and which your favourite songs are :) It'll be nice to hear your views on which songs are their better ones and which aren't bad, but not as good as these better ones.

10. IkariBattousai

I saw them live in concert with Bad Company and Billy Squier a few years back.

11. Voynich

Ah Styx? Hmmm..it's been a while since I listen to them. *dives into her dads cd collection* I like their sound...but nothing superb actually. Just random stuff I like listening to once in a while.

12. Vertlain

I'm glad you're glad. But come on! No 90s music? Maybe you're trying wrong bands? :confused If you like this kind of music, I could recommend you many younger bands inspired by 70's prog-rock, for example Transatlantic, Spocks Beard, Under The Sun, Glass Hammer, Cairo, Arena, Ayreon, Mouse... and many more to listen to...

13. IkariBattousai

Right, there's a lot of modern music that's just great. You just need to look a little deeper. Most of the stuff you'll hear on the radio is just sub-par. There's a music reccommendation thread around here somewhere but I'm a little too lazy right now to go dig for it, sorry.

14. Catatonik

I are teh tired of reccomending the threads...someone else can do it this time :)

15. The Joker

I've tried listen to most modern bands and such, but none of the music sounds good to me. The list of what I listen to from the 80s is huge. Journey, Pat Benatar, Toto, REO Speedwagon etc. as well as Styx and many others. The problem with me is I listen for a certain sound, and these bands have it. Styx the most, them being my favourite band of course. I used to listen to modern music and mid-90s music, but now I can't, I don't like the sound and such. :) There's no changing my mind, either. I know that sounds a little arrogant or ignorant, but I have tried listening to them, and I don't like the music.

16. IkariBattousai

I went through a phase like that a few years ago, but I got over it when I had listened all of the good songs to death. I like and respect old music but the fact of the matter is that there isn't anymore coming out and I can only listen to it for so long before I get tired of the same songs over and over and over again. Trust me, you'll need something new before long.

17. Catatonik

Okay, no comment :)

I'll play nice :p

18. The Joker

[Laugh] To be honest, I take after my Father. He gets all these old albums and such, and considering I haven't heard all REO Speedwagon song and all Toto and Styx, I have alot to go through. I'm happy enough listening to 80s music, and I find new 80s bands to listen to all the time. If anything, I'm going backwards with music, I like alot of 60s and 50s music too. I lost an REO Speedwagon CD I had, and now I'm looking forward to finding it again, since it's my favourite Live REO Speedwagon CD, and I haven't listened to it in ages. What I do do is I keep listening to them at a minimum, and then move to another 80s band and go back to Styx or REO Speedwagon again, and it feels more fresh and I can listen to it again.

I've been listening to this music for about 3 years now, and it still doesn't bore me. If anything, I should have been born in the earlier 80s, instead of 88. Besides, Styx are still coming out with new Albums, and doing more tours, and there's still a few Dennis DeYoung albums to listen to. So, I have alot to go at in just the Styx area of 80s music, as well as REO Speedwagon and others :)

19. Ongakukage

I love Styx, they are my favorite band. I saw them live along with Kansas last summer. They were phenomenal. They were everything I was hoping they would be.

20. BladeofTheChad

You must be crazy. Domo Arigatou Mr. Roboto.(sp?)

Come Sail Away is one of the best songs ever.

21. The Joker

Wow, I posted this ages ago! Nice to see two more replies who like Styx. I haven't listened to Styx in a while. I'm not that keen on the newer line up, but I still listen to their old albums. It's funny, reading through this I just remembered how a few people were telling me I'd get over it and move onto modern music. Well, I've actually moved backwards. I listen to the same 80's music, but now I also listen to Dean Martin and other old bands. I haven't listened to any modern music that I've enjoyed.

I should have asked about more bands in this, like Chicago and REO Speedwagon, even Cutting Crew. Although I'm not sure if I was listening to Chicago then. :oh

22. LadyStyx

yatta ^^ i have thing that noone here likes this band beside me!
    hehe
    they were my obsesion... just look at my deviantart gallery.
    now i'm drawing akatsukis but time ago... only styx! JYsaaan xD

lol... which member is your fav ^^
    (hehe... i have my room full of posters... hope they will be soon replaced by akatsuki XD)

23. The Joker

;_; Sorry for such a late response to this.

It was Dennis DeYoung. Since then Styx haven't really been the same to me. I got the Dennis DeYoung live album that was release either last year or a year or two ago and that sounded more like Styx than Styx does.