1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Saiyan Blue (Movie Convo)

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by Dr. White, Dec 5, 2018.

What type of SSJB is are they using in the movie?

This poll will close on Jan 5, 2019 at 4:07 PM.
  1. PSSJBE (Manga)

25.0%
  2. Regular SSBJ (Anime/Movie) w/ aesthetics

75.0%
  1. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    So obviously a huge question in the film is why we seemingly only see Goku and Vegeta use their blue forms, despite both showing other forms in the anime (ala SSJBKKx20 and SSJBE) that are seemingly > their anime blue counter parts. The most common thoughts are that A.) This is a separate continuity where only Blue exist. B.) They are using PSSJB from the manga which Vegeta unlocked in the ToP, or C.) They chose not to use those forms for reason X.

I personally believe option B. In the manga we see Vegeta's a light aura, and small embers .

Goku displays a similar aura multiple times in the movie from what we can tell of the trailer

vs previous showings of it in the movies and anime

Even Gogeta has the same form in the movie

Other stuff includes Vegeta in the manga, . And Toyo and Toriyama's post movie relationship also getting stronger, along with Toyo choosing not to recap the events in a chapter, instead only drawing one image (of them fighting him in mastered) to accompany the movie promo.

So what do you guys think? Did both Goku and Vegeta train over the time since ToP and gain access to Perfected SSBE from the manga? Is this weird aura simply an aesthetic choice?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Tags:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. XImpossibruX I'm working.

I honestly think that's just the movie budget talking. They got the money, time and animators to make SSB look better.

The whole "light aura, surrounded by darker aura and small embers forming around the aura," is just a way better aura effect than in the DBS anime or RoF. It makes SSB Goku much more striking and noticeable.

Similar to how SSG was portrayed as a really cool flame like aura in the BoG movie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Blade DAN DAN

MSSB's main feature is the lack of aura due to its leaking being prevented by keeping it inside the body.

There were only SSB auras and forms present in the movie for Vegeta, Kakarot and Gogeta as well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Kishido Well-Known Member

Well not really Vegeta ij the manga had aura again after going beyond

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  5. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    I'm not talking about Mastered SSB?

6. Blade DAN DAN

for aesthetic reasons mostly

yeah

7. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    I don't really think the two instances are comparable. The SSG aura is nice CG effects, but there is only one SSG mode. So the aura having different textures is understanable. We're seeing a completely different design for a super saiyan mode, which hasn't been seen before. The on all fronts. I don't think it's a coincidence, especially when they really only mess with colors and design like this regarding SSJ stuff unless indicating a different form.

Also lines up with Vegeta's lines about training since the ToP, and Goku and Vegeta having a better grip on the mode (goku tried to use it vs Jiren too but wasn't as good) given they need to be equal for the fusion dance.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  8. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

Option D - by the time SSB becomes completely ineffective, Broly has evolved well beyond the point where SSBE or KKx20SSJ would affect him.

9. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    > That was covered as option C.
    > Doesn't explain the change in SSB design that deviates from past movies/anime showings, and aligns with the manga design for PSSJBE.
    > They still tried to fight off Broly in Blue befre resorting to fleeing and fusion, which mitigates the effectiveness of that as an answer.

10. Broly The Almighty Saiyan

The SSB used by Goku, Vegeta, and Gogeta is the Strongest/final form each one of them has in the movie continuity. Having a stronger/Mastered version while using the incomplete one and suddenly feeling the need to "fuse" does NOT make any sense at all.

11. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    ?

12. Prince Vegeta I cast aside nothing

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:

:carlton

14. Former OBD Lurker. Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell but it looks different.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Lewd Lewd x 1
    • List
  15. Former OBD Lurker. Well-Known Member

16. Namikaze Minato Flash Well-Known Member

He/she’s talking about the state Vegeta unlocked in ToP and if Goku unlocked it post-ToP off-panel like Vegeta did MSSB pre-ToP(in his spar with Beerus)...

17. BlueDemon On A Mission From God

Are they...are they...fighting Base Broly in SSJB?

:catpathy:catpathy:catpathy

18. WorldsStrongest Padoru

Canada

The entire movie features a different art style than the manga or anime or prior films...

Nitpicking minuscule differences in SSBs design with that in mind like this will get you nowhere

And is proof of nothing

Any deviation from SSB as we knew it can simply be attributed to the change in art style until its confirmed that it wasnt SSB they were using.
    Spoiler:
    Its a unique form of his called "Ikari" which is speculated in the movie to be Broly harnessing the Oozaru form in a humanoid body or some shit. Its not Base Broly.

19. Millón Vasto Toyble has forsaken us!

Guess i gotta summon one of Mega Zarama's divine three heads

Egdelwonk fo Deah!

Htrof emoc @swodahSM

Chomonga!!!

20. Hazard Black♠️Vegeta

the same reason why ssg aura is diffrent than before seen.
    animators and budget.

21. MShadows Deathbat

I hold the answer that will solve this conundrum!

And it is...

Spoiler:

The movie features a brand new art and animation style and they put a ton of money into making sure this movie is the best thing we've ever seen. Even SSG has a different aura so I don't see what's so hard about understanding that SSB's aura has been updated as well.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  22. Roman Emperor

We'll probably see them use SSBE and SSBKK20 when they rerun this arc in the anime :torilol

23. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

There’s no reason to believe they used mssjb it just ssjb with new aesthetics and animation

24. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

Yes who want to see inferior animation and god awful flanderization:mahnigga

25. Jizznificent Your unborn bro

it's simply ssb from what i've gathered. the only difference obviously being the amount of experience the two saiyans have gained with ssb since it's first showing in RoF. other than that they are still using the same form, nothing new about it.

toriyama has his own vision of dbs, which neither manga nor anime follow to a T (they are allowed to take some liberties of their own, hence extra powerups like mssb, ssbkk and ssbe respectively). the movie is the closest adaptation of toriyama's vision of post-ToP dbs since it is more or less completely scripted by him.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  26. PFM18 Active Member

Obviously it isn't PSSB/CSSB. It has an aura at all, Vegeta is the only exception of having an aura in the manga and it was a fairly brief sequence where he seemingly evolved SSB, to which we don't even know if this is an evolved form of SSB with different aesthetic mechanics, or just a temporary power boost or something. Not only do we not know that CSSB suddenly having an aura again is the standard moving forward, but we would have to arbitrarily assume Goku achieved the same on his own. (AKA head canon would be a requirement to make this work)

27. Jizznificent Your unborn bro

Director Nagamine told V-Jump his thoughts on the film Dragon Ball Super: Broly!

It seems Toriyama-sensei’s script came first.
    he battles in the TV anime Dragon Ball Super turned out pretty amazing too…?!

Nagamine: I guess you could say the TV series broke through its limits. So in the wake of that, I had to think of what I could evolve to make the battles even more intense. It sounds pretty crap to say “here’s another limit break” right after the last one, so I figured I’d just go crazy with it. What made things easy was that Toriyama-sensei’s script constantly escalates, so with each escalation I could throw in a transformation to pump up the battle. Beyond that, I personally wanted to make Super Saiyan Blue look crazy strong, and to clearly show the gap between it and Super Saiyan God. The two of them have rather different fighting styles: God relies on predicting and dodging the opponent’s movements, plus godly techniques rather than power. Then Blue puts all the emphasis on bulldozing the opponent with brute force...

This interview, appearing on pages 82-83 of the January 2019 issue of V-Jump (pictured), was translated by .
    "

:dotell

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  28. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    This is purely false

Ok?
    PSSJB is still a super saiyan blue mode, just like perfect super saiyan is still super saiyan lmao.

Not only that, but you realize this means that movie is line with the manga vision right?

. If toriyama's script encapsulated this as far back as january then that should tell you something, now that Goku is mysteriously showing this aura that looks exactly like PSSJB. Going hand in hand with Vegeta only showing red here and in the manga? Toyo realeases a SSB chart explaining the different grades right before the movie where we are shown an aura looking like mastered blue?

Ok buddy.

29. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    This is more than just a different art style genius. The form has the exact markings of aura as the manga version. you literally skipped over all of the evidence to say "hurr durr different designs" without actually addressing the arguments. But then again, it's my fault for expecting more from you.

30. PFM18 Active Member