1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Surpassing All for one as a villain?

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by nfcnorth, Oct 26, 2018.

1. nfcnorth Well-Known Member

All for one is kind of an interesting spot from a story perspective. He has already lost to All Might twice that we know of so far. So how is Midorya's defeat of him going to be more conclusive than the most recent one? One way I thought of around this problem is to have another villainous character take over his spot as the biggest bad. While it does have its own flaws and draw backs it can lead to a more accomplished feeling when Midoraya beats the character who takes over for All for one than him just beating All for one would.

The fair and away best candidate is already kind of serving that role already. Shigaraki is probably the single most fit character that we know of for the job but he needs to evolve more so he can surpass his master kind of like Deku needs to evolve more to surpass his master. He needs to have surpassed All for one for his final defeat to be a conclusive end.

But if we absolute have to look at other candidates for people who can take on the mantle of biggest bad from characters we know of the one I think makes most sense for it who ever the traitor ends up being (assuming they are someone we know already). It would have issues and need to be handled extremely well but the traitor probably be the character setup most suited from a story perspective to be in a prominent role among the villains.

They will have a better connection to heroes (especially the main characters the U.A students) than any other league villain other than Shigsraki or All for one. They would gain a ton of infamy for being a former member of U.A. so all they are really missing is the power to be the number one villain and a reason for the Leauge to follow their lead. Not as easy as it sounds but its possible. If they do go this route however I do think they might want to hold off the reveal a bit closer to the end but not so close that it doesn't give them to time to build up the traitor as a believable biggest bad.

As for the other current known villains they would have to step up in a huge way to even come close to Shigaraki as far as being seen as the next top dog. Sigaraki is not perfect but with how things are right now you kind of have to surpass him first before you can think about passing All for one as a villain because he is kind of portrayed as the number 2 ranking villain right now with All for one being the top ranked villain. Not that the other villains are bad villains they just haven't shown leadership potential yet and don't really have connections of All for one/Shigaraki (being the big bads from the start) or the traitor will have to the hero side of the cast. That and alot of them just work better in an underling setting compared to the main focal point on the villain side.

Tags:
  2. Kellogem Well-Known Member

I dont really see anyone other than Shigaraki unless the mangaka pulls new big bads out of his ass Kaguya/Yhwach style, everything points toward him right now.

A hero - traitor - becoming a villain would be an interesting concept, but I dont think its going to happen at the expense of Shigaraki with all the work and development put into him. I wouldnt mind it though cause I still dont like Shigaraki, growing villain and less of a manchild or not, I still dont see his appeal.

Id say a main villain should have some good core belief or theme behind his actions.. with Shigaraki I dont see that right now, he is still at the "fuck heroes, I hate them, fuck this society, its wrong" stage. but I dunno what would be the right motivation.. maybe some sort of survival of the fittest, quirks are the next step of evolution, the ones with weak shouldnt get saved by others with strong type?

3. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

tbh what I "think" can happen is a World Villain
    What I mean by this is that Shigaraki is the Frieza to the "Final Villain" Majin Buu
    He is bad but I don't really think he's done anything too terrible where he can't be redeemed unlike AFO. From the My Hero Movie we saw that America has problems and so do other countries. Their crime rate is almost 4 times as high as Japan. This leads me to believe that the organized crime there is even worse and maybe because they have people who are stronger than even All Might.
    What they can introduce is a global threat villain where Shigaraki will be Neutral/Good and side with the Heroes to take down this FV. This would bring closure to AM because he always felt like shit for letting this pupil go down the wrong path. It could lead to a redemption arc sort of how like Sasuke or Orochimaru are now the good guys.
    It would also make Deku surpass AM because
    1) He fights a villain stronger than AFO
    2) He "saves" everyone both good and bad like Jesus Naruto
    3) AM is a Japanese savior. Deku will be the world champion

I just really don't like the idea of My Hero pulling a Digimon where AFO is pulling the strings all the way until the story ends. AFO is very Aizen-like but even so there were people who were more evil and more powerful than even Aizen. I want this to be true with AFO/Shigaraki

So like
    AFO/Shigaraki = Frieza
    FV= Majin Buu
    AFO/Shigraki = Orochimaru
    FV=Madaara

If that is simpler. The FV will have a stronger presence and also be exponentially stronger.

4. Kellogem Well-Known Member

so a japanese superhero is going to save the world?

ehhh..

also I think most people preferred Frieza and Orochimaru over Buu and Madara

I dont think AFO needs to be upped by much, having his best quirks in a young and fitt body should be enough.. it would be like a prime AFO. I think his age should have took a toll on the one defeated by All Might.

I also hope Deku wont surpass All Might by all that much.. like compared to prime All Might he'd be like 110-120% of that. pls no crazy Jesus Deku.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

I feel like we don't need anyone being at AFOs strength.

Some of the best villains are guys like Luthor and Joker. They're just human, but still dangerous.

I feel like that will be Shigaraki.

6. xenos5 Objectionable Objection

I want someone much smarter than Shigaraki. Shigaraki is no master planner. His development as a leader has been alright I guess, but I can't see him fooling everyone.

7. Aros001 Member

I think there's also more than power to consider here. Not just in manga but in American superhero comics, the best villains are generally the ones that serve as some contrast or reflection of the hero (the best being both), as well as giving the hero and villain some reason to care about the other beyond just "I'm a good guy and he's a bad guy I have to stop". So it's not just "Who is the biggest threat that the Midoriya could face in the final battle?" but rather "Who makes a great villain for Deku?"

With Shigaraki, we have that, at least thematically. Both he and Midoriya are very symmetrical. Both can be considered grandsons of Nana Shimura; Shigaraki directly through blood and Midoriya through the legacy of One For All. Both are the chosen successors of a person who means everything to them and that they want to be just like. and most importantly, both are growing throughout the course of the story. They are on parallel paths with each other.

But also importantly is that, while parallel, they still zig in key areas where the other zags. Midoriya idolizes All Might and the hero society he helped create while Shigaraki despises All Might and wants to destroy everything he built, because while Midoriya found heroes a source of comfort as a child, Shigaraki seems like he was abandoned and left to rot away in squalor because no one deemed him important enough to help (or at least that's All For One has manipulated him into believing). Like Batman and the Joker, Midoriya and Shigaraki are the yin and yang of each other; opposites yet equals.

We could have Frieza come into the world of MHA straight as he is out of DBZ and he'd be a great villain and a powerful threat to all the heroes, but as a villain for Midoriya he wouldn't be as good as Shigaraki. To Deku, Frieza would just be the bad guy that he has to defeat, while Shigaraki and Deku are both inheritors of two directly warring legacies with values that mirror yet oppose each other. Midoriya and Shigaraki have reasons to care about each other beyond just "bad guy the good guy has to stop".

Joker would be a great villain for Superman to face. Luthor would be a great villain for Batman to face. But as the hero's arch-enemy/final boss, those match-ups don't work nearly as well as Superman/Luthor and Batman/Joker. Unless the author can come up with a character who is even more of Midoriya's equal yet opposite (besides Bakugo), Shigaraki is the best choice for the final villain, even if he never gets to be as powerful as All For One.

8. Aros001 Member

Another big reason I'm interested in Shigaraki is that, of all the manga I've read, I've seen very few long-running Shonen series that set up the potential final big boss so early in the story. We meet Shigaraki pretty close to the beginning, within the first season of the anime. Between Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, and Dragon Ball Z, most of their early villains are forgotten about or long dead and have no part in the story's final arc. Obviously I haven't read every manga and I'm certain there are exceptions but it's interesting that we get to see the potential final villain of My Hero Academia so early on.

9. Soljah Super Ghost

I got a hunch shiragaki will be converted to be neutral or die. He kinda like kylo Ren imo in the sense it a chore to be evil and to get better. Afo and other true Villians have a vision. While shiragaki just mad all might didn't save him too. Overhaul seems more villanous than him I can see someone else taking it.