1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Switching to Manga, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Konoha TV' started by Rabbid, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Rabbid New Member

First of all, this is a serious question, and not one of those "when will the fillers end" ones.

I for one, really enjoyed the animated series, the animation, voices and music were just great, but all this talk about part 2 has made me curious.

Now, the question is, has anyone here, who started with Naruto Anime, switched to manga? If it's not as good as the anime, it would spoil alot of interesting episodes once canon comes back on track.

Any comments?

Tags:
  2. Gondar: King of Primates Conspiracy Nut

I like reading the manga and watching the anime in order to compare the two. You'd be surprised just how much is changed between them. Some stuff is better in the manga, some is better in the anime. I will agree that the fights are usually a lot better animated, except for the Sasuke Naruto fight at the valley of the end, they screwed that one up big time in my opinion.

Short answer, yes it is worth it.

3. neo-dragon Active Member

I'll just say what I usually do whenever this comes up:

Is it worth it to read Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings if you've seen the movies? For most people the answer is yes. Or on the flip side, does reading the books first ruin the movies? Nearly everyone will tell you no, it doesn't. Reading the manga is really the same thing. The anime certainly has its advantages, just as movies do, but nothing is quite the same as the original source material.

4. DJ-Kage Hidden Village of Sound Kage

No man, manga is so much worse than two seasons of anime fillers. It just can't compare with painfree frontal lobotomy on volunteary basis that fillers provide.

But then again, I was never the person that gets its satisfaction ruined by spoilers.

5. Idun Salt Liquorice

yep exactly like that! And I must say that the Nasruto manga rocked and I just couldn't wait for the fillers to end so I read it and it was awsome ;d

But i must sa? that the harrypotter books was much better then the movies and even though Lord of the rings is one of the best movies I've ever seen the book was better. It is the greatest book I've ever read ;D

6. RadishMan Commisioner of Food & Beverage

It shouldn't ruin anything. I find the action-fighting scenes to be a lot better in the anime (and easier to follow...) but unless you want crap each week.

Course 1 manga chapter a week kinda sucks :(

7. Senior_Superboy The Pirate King

It could be worse, the Hellsing manga only comes out once a month.

Anyway, if you're not afraid of spoilers go for it. The manga is awesome.

8. Nezo Member

The manga ruined it for me, so I stopped reading after about 260+ chapters.

9. R_Lee86 Asshole

I read the manga every week and preferr it over all. I really only pay attention to the anime when its key fights, like Gaara vs Rock Lee or Naruto vs Sasuke, ect.

10. FrostXian Messiah With An Attitude

Retardness of the young generation makes me want to kill kids. :(

11. R_Lee86 Asshole

Not to mention the Berserk manga, that comes out whenenver the author feels like it.

12. DJ-Kage Hidden Village of Sound Kage

What an interesting response. What makes you say so, hm?

13. gokuden553 Banned

I wouldn't take the risk but now it seems like theirs no other choice.

14. Alekzu White and nerdy

The manga spoils the anime? That thought has never crossed my mind. I refused to even watch the anime at first, since not once have I encountered a series/anime/movie that has been better than the book/s. But as I started to watch it I came to realize that it completed the Naruto series. It gave me voices (I still shiver when I think of Orochimarus voice), moves/animation and music. It's simply a good complement. BUT it's the anime that's the complement, not the other way around. The manga is always first after all. Then again, I've always prefered to read the book rather than watch the movie. Also: I totally agree with neo-dragon.

A short answer to your question: yes, it is indeed worth it.

15. Rhaella nothing but the rain

Umm, I'm really not sure. My brother hooked me on the series by showing me the first 30 or 40 episodes... when I got back to school, though, I switched to the manga and never went back except for a very few scenes I simply had to see animated.

I don't think that it's going to make the anime less interesting than the manga, if you actually do have the time to do both, though. The experiences of reading and watching really are quite different, and it's always interesting to wonder just how the animators would deal with particular scenes.

I'd definitely suggest switching over, though, if you're that curious about what's going on now.

LOL @ R_Lee86. Ahh, Berserk.

16. OniTasku [Weeabro for life]

I originally started out watching the anime (quite a few years back now) and then switched to the manga (soon after that). Trust me, you won't be spoiling the anime. The manga, in itself, is a whole different experience and a great way to visually see the story unfold.

Yes, it's absolutely worth it.

17. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

Absolutely.

What's better than the original, you know? You'll get more out of the story and even if you don't like to read, you'll finish one chapter on average(for me anyway) about 3-4 minutes.

18. MajesticBeast MajesticBeast

Kids without brains shouldnt even post here.

19. Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki アルかわいい

You should read his post one more time...

20. DJ-Kage Hidden Village of Sound Kage

I apologize. I just realized I used sarcasm on the internet without marking it and instead relying on the intelligence of the reader to figure it out. I promise I will not make the same mistake twice.

21. Karin Maaka Active Member

Like what was previously said, read it again (the second sentence)... :p

BTW, yes, read the manga. It's totally worth it. The anime may be a good adaptation, but the manga is worth reading instead of sticking around for shit every week.

22. Nihonjin Skeptic

I'd say its up to you.
    But I wouldn't recommend it as I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the anime (and because I read it, I won't enjoy the anime as much as I could).

23. Delta Shell The Pose of Love, people..

Yes! Read the manga, you're missing out by filling your head with the filler nonsense.

There's some cool stuff in the manga, new characters etc etc.

24. MajesticBeast MajesticBeast

Why do you need 2 use sarcasm just give your opinion.Thats enough anyways.Well manga does ruin whats going 2 come next and stuff cant w8 till they show who akatsuki leader is i bet its someone we least expect 2 be.Its
    Spoiler:
    Iruka

25. DJ-Kage Hidden Village of Sound Kage

Some say that humor is sign of intelligence.

26. MajesticBeast MajesticBeast

Well it needs 2 be funny thats 1 thing.

27. DJ-Kage Hidden Village of Sound Kage

One day you'll learn. And then the world of intellectual humor will be open to you.

28. Trippy Member

I did indeed start with the anime. But i got tired of waiting for the fillers to come out, and part 2 to start, so i started to read the manga. I started at chapter 239 (kakashi gaiden) and now im already up to 280. Manga isn't bad at all, goes by really fast but still fun to read. Not as good as the anime series IMO.

I wouldn't worry about it spoiling the tv series. Because im sure they're going to add more stuff, and take some things out. Can't wait until part 2, that is really going to kick ass if we ever get their:nuts

soo in the end is it worth it? YES:p

ps. i get my manga at narutochaos.com you have the register to download but its fast and easy. They got most of the chapters there.

29. Kidd SD Project & Taka Translator

Maybe it will be worth it, maybe it won't. To be 100% honest with you, if we got a confirmation soon that the fillers were ending, I'd somewhat wish I hadn't ever started reading the manga in the first place (even though I began reading before the fillers began - damn my curiosity and cliffhangers, evil combination! xD). Of course, I know that it was for the best that I didn't live through all these fillers... but still. Seeing a new episode every week with music and voices really blow looking at small scanned panels on my computer screen away for me.

I btw find it a very bad comparison to compare this manga and anime to the books/movies of Harry Potter and LotR. Both HP and LotR have loooong scenes completely written out of the plot in the movie, due to movies not being very long while a book can easily reach many hundreds of pages. The Naruto anime doesn't do complete rewriting like this - rewriting, sure - but nothing to that extent. Unless you're a really hardcore fan, I bet you wouldn't even really notice that much of a difference if you stay away from the fillers.

Here's the pros and cons of both the anime and manga, and this list should be completely unbiased:

Manga
    +Kishimoto's actual words and pictures without anyone else dabbling into it, meaning no errors made by external forces; this includes censoring
    +No fillers (obviously)
    +Faster to read (could be both a pro or a con depending on what you like)
    +You can't get spoiled if you read the manga
    -Less new content every week; 2-3 manga chapters (that's 2-3 weeks of waiting) comes in the package of a single week's episode in the anime
    -No music set by directors
    -No voices
    -No colour or animation
    -Faster to read (could be both a pro or a con depending on what you like)

Anime
    +Music
    +Voices
    +Colour
    +Animation
    +More new content per week (a week in the anime = 2-3 weeks in the manga)
    +Takes longer to watch (could be both a pro or a con depending on what you like)
    -Takes longer to watch (could be both a pro or a con depending on what you like)
    -Occasional fillers*
    -Is not Kishimoto's own work, meaning that some things are changed probably without the new artists' knowledge, or things are changed knowingly; there's censoring as well as general screwing with the canon plot**
    -Prepare to face occasional manga spoilers when only watching the anime

*Not counting the current year+ of filler, cause I find it unfair to use in a comparison list such as this due to the reason they exist. They will be over soon enough anyway, or the series gets cancelled. Don't take this up here though

**Why did Hinata's dad approach Neji with a -letter- after the NaruNeji fight? If he had this letter all along, couldn't he have given it to Neji previously? Things like this. And if we go into changes in the fights, the list would get ridiculously long

30. Kurosaki Eyeshield 21 Ya-Ha!

I started off with the anime, didn't even realize that it was filler until it hit episode 173 and found out on here. Then I moved to the manga and it's been great to see the story unfold up to this point. So yes it is well worth it.