1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial Syarul's guide to Coloring

Discussion in 'Art 101' started by syarul, Nov 23, 2005.

1. syarul hidden love village

I decided to make this tutorial after a few ppl ask me how I do my shading. Though I'm not that good enough, sharing the same interest would benefit us each other. I try to make it simple and plain since it's a pain to read a long technical stuffs and we are not that bright to understand such thing. So straight to the point.

Note: this tutorial is not about drawing, if you want to draw find the tutorials somewhere else, NF boards have plenty of them.

Requirements:
    Tablet
    Photoshop (CS2 recomended)

First, terminology. You should know this when I define them.

Gradient - color falloff, from light value to dark value
    Hue - Variations in color. Everything has hue a bit on them, we only need to know where to put it
    Saturation - Saturated or less saturated, neon color is simple way to define a very saturated color.
    Specular - highlight, a spot where a surface totally bounce the light source directly into our eyes.
    Ambient - part of surface backing the light source, always in darker value but may differ from type of surface it is. (i.e Skin)
    Reflect - surface may reflect light like water or mirror, Normal surface also reflect light though the value is little and it's called Radiosity.

Since we always doing this 3 types of shading when doing characters, i decided to devide them

1. Metal (especially for head protector and metal stuffs like kunai and shuriken)
    2. Cloth (Flack Jacket, normal clothing)
    3. Skin shading(including eyeballs)

Base Coloring and Setting Up Palette
    I used the manga scanline as the base since this guide is about shading after all.^^ This image was nice since it has most aspect in the pic metals, eyes, skin, cloth and rocks. First do this in photoshop set the layer like this. Copy/cut the original image into a new layer and set as multiply. Then create an under layer and rename it "base color" layer.

Next we need to know what brushes to use. So this are 4 type of brushes I always used. The first three is default ps brushes of the hard round variant. The fourth type is a custom made by removing all dynamic feats on the brush. There is icon to the top right called "Toggle The Brushes Palette". Uncheack all value there and click on "create new brushes".

Next make a layer on top multiply and rename it to palette. This one is optional. So collect what color you prefer before shading the character. Then start base coloring. Leave head protector for now and black areas like cloak, nails and stones over Itachi. White lines on Itachi cloak also will be remove later so leave it.

nuff said, base coloring. Use type 4 brush.

This time make another layer on top base color and name it "shade". Now pick the skin base color and get a bit darker value of it and paint on shade layer area which you think is the ambient part of Itachi skin. Define your source of light since it would guide your shading/coloring better. I decided for me from top left of the image. Use brush type 1~3.Then, leave it as it is for now and we shall come back refining the skin layer again later.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
    Tags:
  2. syarul hidden love village

Next, make also another layer name it "shade head protector". Tone it with dark grey and blue on it.Start shading the head protector like this. Use type 1~3 brushes.

1. Shove your pen with the direction show in the diagram. Notice how the gradient value falloff that I did on the head protector panel.

2. This time use blue value and shove it in the same way only part where the arrows are shown in the diagram.

3. Next highlight the top edge and darken the bottom edge part. This define how the head protector(hp) surface was like.

4. Every surface would bounce light. Since skin would recieve and bounce light, The hp would also recieve the light and bounce back to the camera.

5. To define the surface of the emblem, we need to hightlight it with white on some part of the emblem.

3. syarul hidden love village

6. This is created last and I make another layer for this part "highlight hp". define the shadow and put points of specular on the edges which will recieve light. If we need to fix or touch up this later better to leave it with another layer. Be sure to clean the last layer for any out boundaries shading.

Some more this also might prove usefull if you really don't understand what I'm trying to pull with the hp thing. If you still don't get it! i don't know what to say..^^ figure out yourself. The final part of the image use light blue color on a color dodge layer.

This one is a sample metal cube how it recieve lights. See how the green floor effected the bottom part of the cube which sometime not always in dark value. It's Radiosity

Cloak Shading
    Next we do the cloak. First clean every white line first on a layer. I name it cloak. I use 3 red values for the inner part and notice how shading is done on spots where u think the cloak fold.I also left a bit red hue on skin tone to define radiosity. I finish the leather thing on his cloak also.

Next make another layer cloak shade but put it above the multiply layer. Grey value define outer part and shade area facing the source of light. I also put a bit hue on the hp. Yup, it's a so-called reflection, and don't miss it! Something small can make a trully big difference I say.

Hair Shading
    Next, this time we do the hair. Make a new layer on top cloak shade name it to hair shade. Notice how i do the stroke and all the lit and red hue value on it. Leave it as it is now and move to the next step.

4. syarul hidden love village

Now we finalizing the skin tone. Make a new layer on top shade name it to overlay and set the layer property as overlay. First I refine the shade layer skintone first. By giving more depth and value. I also add a shadow effect under the hair. I use different color variant this time which is more orangish(circle in red). The left hand value also. If you think the color is messed up you always can use filter>blur>surface blur to simplify it. If the color doesn't look quite ok try adjusting with any of these feats:-
    1.Hue and Saturation
    2.Contrast
    3.Color adjustment

Moving to the overlay layer. This time use these two value of colors to define the surface of the skin.

We are almost there. Next the eyeballs, ring and nails. For eyeballs follow this one. You need a layer on top multiply and name it as touch up to color certain part like specular of the eyes and nails.

Finalizing and Touch Up
    Next create another layer on top multiply a color dodge layer and name it highlight. Use a white color this time and highlight Itachi hair. u may also highlight anywhere you think need more specular like the head protector. Finally color the background and clean up all palettes. Vuallah! now I've finished so start yours right away^^.

I'm including PSD files as refrences. Though these links only last for certain of periods if no one is downloading it, so ask/PM me again if you want it if these links are broken.

mirror 1 (rapidshare.de)
    mirror 2 (yousendedit)

If YOU can shade although not reaching to this tutorial expectation and want to give us hand at Zarosaki please tell us. Sharing toughts, opinions and works is a best way to advance ^^. Don't hesitate much just drop us a msg and a sample work of yours. Visit the Shannaro forum page or post it here at NF.

5. StoneWalker RoCK TeH LoTuS

beautiful T____T <3 I think this is one of the most well-constructed tutorials for NF.

thankyou for making it + posting :wtf

I have to move this to the Tutorials section tho :leepose

6. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Nice job, now when I get CS, I can try oout coloring using your tutorial! Danke!

7. Rinali your retarded little brother

8. Leen Peacemaker

Thanks Syarul. U save my life. But is it possible for u to zip it in Winzip since I dont have winrar so I cant view the file.

9. syarul hidden love village

I already save your live once eileenting88, do I need to save you twice:p? Actually you can get a free trial Winrar archiever from the net. Just figure out yourself, if lucky u might get it in different ways. Rar is new genre for compression files just like everyone use Firefox over Iexplorer. We all used "original" software after all, right guys?:wink

Anyway I notice that I forgot to color Itachi headband in the tutorial which was blue in color. I may comeback fixing it later.

10. Tsuuga Haunghted.

This is extremely helpful, and I love how you put the palette/colors on the side.

11. Sakura4Ever Sakura Lover

awesome and really helpful tutorial syarul =) great work with it

12. Zhongda Active Member

iam gonna try this tut when iam hoplessly bored.

13. Lingz Simplicity

Wonderful tutorial - well structured and covers like everything! :thumbs

15. BlaZeR Oh yeah?

16. DarkFire immune to modfuck

A GREAT Tutorial, really perfect :D However, the download-links wont work :( Evhull rapidshare and yousendit, I'm just getting errors.. :(

I would really like to be able to download the tut, and see the .psd files and such :)
    Could you please repost it or send it to me so I can post it or something? :)

18. Itachi Lord OF the Moon new name FingerMove

damn is nowhere a tutorial in german? im tired of searching....i understand this but i have photoshop cs3 extended....and i'm stupid with colouring....

19. Tefax not here

20. Chevaux damnit

21. Tehmk &#803

That is what I call a tutorial, fricking excellent.

22. Narukashi89 New Member

Hi, i have a very important question. Do i really need a Tablet with a Pen to color Manga Pages like that? Or is it possible to work with a pc mouse.

23. Heero Summer

yes its possible, just can take some effort depending how you do it

24. kami_amaterasu Sun and Heaven Goddess

25. ravijha85 The Devil

So.... Can U please re-upload them
    Thanks for this excellent tutorial BTW.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  26. JSLSampaio New Member

oh... a bit to complicated to me... perhaps if you say the colours you used it will be easier to understand...