1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Contest Central Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Polls close Thursday, September the 19th at 10:05pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

T.V and Video Games

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by DarkRaven7789, Jun 3, 2007.

1. DarkRaven7789

Are they really deteriorating the minds of the youth?I'm a straight A student and I play more video games than anyone I know.So,are they turning the kid's minds to mush or is it some fat guy's way of revenge 'cuz he couldnt get the latest playstation game?

Tags:
  2. Giovanni Rild

TV and video game are taking the fall for bad parenting.

3. DJ-Kage

Well, everything that you come in contact with affects you, so it is useless to argue that computer games are an exception.

I'm a bit conservative on the issue. I love computer games in order to relax and get my mind off some things for a couple of hours. However, newer games, especially MMOs really force you to dedicate as much time as possible in order to have fun, which is about as bad as it can get. Dedicating a majority of your time to something virtual and nonexistant is... Well, stupid is too weak of a word.

And don't get me started about the "social" aspects of computer games...

4. DarkRaven7789

I think what he's trying to say is that the 'new' games are screwing life in the ass.Does anyone else agree?

5. AbnormallyNormal

i think tv turns minds to mush but video games makes you smarter

6. GrimaH

Well you are dedicating your time to something that won't help you IRL except to release stress (I don't think that many people use it for profit :sag).
    Even that is questionable, with the physical and mental effort some people put in for games :sag
    So it reduces the time we have, and potentially our energy, for RL stuff.
    But hey, it's our lives.

7. explicitkarma

Ultimately, the blame does lie with bad parenting. But that doesn't mean that our media contains an abundance of enriching content.

Kids now days tend to be materialistic and desensitized, and our media is capitalist in that we watch exactly what we want to watch. Therefore, television programming tends to be materialistic and desensitized since that's what brings in the ad revenues.

8. Trollzilla

But Too Under is not Good too.

For Example , I'm a Polish Boy but because my Father get a Job In Germany,
    I must go to school in Germany .

I've learned the Germany Language through TV and a Few Polish Friends in the Neighborhood.

Btw. I dont say that the TV is there to replace the Parents

9. DJ-Kage

That's like... Totally missing the point and overgeneralizing what I said.

10. Undercovermc

Television and videos games, along with music are largely used as a scapegoat for bad parenting as aforementioned. An example of these mediums being the scapegoat for institutional problems and subsequently having the blame pinned on them was seen after the Columbine massacre. The blame was diverted from the flawed US gun laws and placed on Marilyn Manson's music as the two students were listening to it the night prior to the massacre. I'm doing something similar to this for my media studies project. I'm analysing the effect music videos have on children and if they are negatively affected by them or not.

However, in regard to young children it partly depends on the modality of the television programme and/or the video game being viewed/played. If it has a strong modality the child is more susceptible to the negative message that may be conveyed. A lot of force-fed television (i.e. reality shows) is mindless and if watched on a regular bases it will have some effect. In the end, different people will react differently to watching television and playing video games.

11. Fuujin

TV and video games don't make people stupid, people are already stupid if they can't take things in moderation, then they get into the downward spiral and it starts affecting their grades.

12. Yakushi Kabuto

A bit of both, after all, my mother learned a great deal of her english from television as well. And really, without some form of entertainment or a way to communicate through the masses like that people would simply have less to talk about, less reason to interact with each other. Besides, I think some games can even improve your motor skills and reasoning ability considering how many puzzle elements are present.

13. bebopbountyhead

If you're dumb you weren't raised well enough. Period. Just because tv and video games exist doesn't mean that you have to play/watch them.

14. Hyuuga_X

I don't think video games or tv make you a brutal killer or an extremely aggressive person or something. It's just the way an individual looks at it, that makes him what he is.

I do not think tv or games should be blaimed, especially not videogames.

15. HyugaHinata

Video games are good for your brain. They increase your level of alertness and mental agility.

16. hazashi

Kids are not stupid, when parents are over-protecting about video games or tv that contains violence or sexuality is because they dont think much of their children

17. Goodfellow

The videogames are evil and destroying society:shakefist

Just like heavy metal in the eighties:yell

:sag

18. banovotn

Well, that's one thing we have in common...

Seriously, though. Most people think of Halo or Doom or Call of Duty when they hear the words video games. The truth is, there's more to it. I personally don't play those kind of games that much, I prefer a Final Fanatsy game or Zelda, that has a great story and an underlying messege. If the media would look at games like that, people's perspective of games would change.

First Person Shooters are ruining the image of video games.

19. Kuroyoru_Kanji

When I was still in HS. I was a straight A student as well, and I play games all the time. Some game genres may be destroying the minds of the youth. Like 1st-person shooters. They have no morals or lessons other then killing eveything else to survive, and making it all about the person playing.

I personally love games. RPGs and Adventure the most. I know people think the FF games get too much credit, but Final Fantasy has great messages. All RPG games I've played have life messages, morals and other information that can change you views on things for the better. I was young when all the FF games came out, and they helped me become smarter and more mature. I really like how they impact your life and teach you things.:amuse

So it is really up to what games the youth play.:wink

20. Dark Spirit

TV and video games make one smart (over time). ^^

so i'll have to disagree.

there's something called the "flynn effect" - increase in average IQ over time. there are several of factors that can be attributed to this, among them are video games, tv.

see more here:

but like someone stated before, too much of something is bad.

21. AbnormallyNormal

very very true. but very unlike tv. it is a mistake to lump tv and video games together, one is positive and one is not

22. Pilaf

In this world, there are people who are lazy.

Those people, who are lazy, never want to take any sort of personal responsibility for their failings. They create strawmen and cast the blame at these nonexistent monsters. When radio came along, music was blamed. When tv came along, it was blamed. Dungeons and Dragons was next, then Video Games. Then the internet.

And if you really wanna know who failed, just look at the scapegoats and draw a straight line from those scapegoats to their accusers. The accuser failed, and can't own up, and casts blame.

23. Tsukiyomi

I've never understood the argument that television rots your brain.

How is watching TV any different then sitting in a classroom listening to someone talk? In both scenarios you're passively taking in information. If I'm watching The Simpsons I'm following along with their story, how is that any different than going to a play and watching a story for real? Do plays rot your brain?

Hell, I watch the history channel almost daily, does that rot my brain?

I've also never understood the argument that videogames rot your brain. You're actively engaging your mind in something. When I play Legacy of Kain or say Final Fantasy XII, i'm constantly thinking about how to solve the next puzzle or of my next strategy.

I've been playing videogames since I was 2, if they rotted your brain then why aren't I a drooling idiot?

People never want to admit their own faults and failings, so instead they place the blame on videogames, tv and movies since they're all easy targets.

24. DethStryque

Umm......I'd say to some degree it effects the childs education.....but i think the parents are to blame mostly if you cannot control your children and make sure there not getting the education or the help they need with there studies you shouldnt just blame it on the tv's and the computers.... anywayz i just graduated high school so meh.....

25. AbnormallyNormal

great points, i think it depends what you watch on tv of course. hardly anyone watches like straight up news and science though. and yeah when youre in a class listening to a boring and meandering lecture that you already know its extremely dull and not stimulating but people consider that the epitome of "exercising your brain", and yeah a game like "alleyway" for the original game boy probably boosts your IQ and hand-eye coordination dramatically

26. DJ-Kage

1) That TV is a passive media, where viewer only receives information and isn't actively engaged, like he is while, for example, reading.

2) Commercialization of TV led to broadcasting companies creating content which aims for lowest common denominator and focusing on cheap entertainment and program which is not intellectually stimulating.

3) Man, new movies suck too often.

27. Mintaka

I CALL BULLSHIT!

28. Haze is Dreamin'

Do violent games make kids violent? They havent made me violent but i suppose everyone is different. Discuss:

29. Yakushi Kabuto

Well, there are topics that already relate pretty well to this topic. So perhaps take a look at the Violence in Video Games or T.V. and Video Games threads?

30. Pilaf

Does playing super mario give kids the ability to grow to twice their normal sizes by eating mushrooms?