1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

T3h Thrice!

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by DyersEve, Sep 17, 2005.

1. DyersEve

Anyways, I have some Thrice goodness on my computer from the ever-drawing-nearer new album, if anyone's interested I'd be happy to hook them up. :wink

Unfortunatley, I have no link to give. PM me with your AIM address (if you gots one.) and I shall deliver.

Peace from the wu-tang.:cool

Tags:
  2. Dimezanime88

Um, I just started listening to Thrice. Two songs: "Stare at the sun" and "Image of the invinsible". Are their CDs really good?

3. RyanfromtheShire

4. Sid

Anyway, you should check out their latest album Vheissu.

5. ssj2yugi

eh i wouldnt say emo, there songs aren't all about relationships and what not, a lot of them are spiritual/inspirational songs. And their first 2 albums sound nothing like their newest 2. But i have to admit i like them all, even though they vary in sound

6. jkingler

I'm a big Thrice fan, personally. The Artist in the Ambulance was a great album, as was The Illusion of Safety. Even Identity Crisis, the album I find to be least palatable, has some stand out tracks on it.

I love their lyrics, their vocalist, their riffs, and their drummer is amazing, too. I can understand if their sound isn't your thing, but I just wonder, and I don't ask this rhetorically--what's not to like?

The only thing I dislike about them is the fact that I saw them on TRL a month or so ago. :S

7. Efraim Longstocking

I've only heard Vheissu and I listened to alot of it just when it came out.

8. jkingler

I've heard nothing from that album. Is it any good? I know you can't compare it to their previous work, as you haven't heard it, but I am curious. I hope they didn't fuck up like Coldplay. :oh

9. Efraim Longstocking

No, it's a good album. There's some interesting songs on there and pretty cool production. The Earth Will Shake is an awsome track.

10. ssj2yugi

new album takes a while to grow on you. When i first listened to it i was kinda disappointed, but now i enjoy listening to it as i did with the other ones

11. Sid

You should definitely check it out! Their sound has progressed and changed quite a bit, yet they still sound like Thrice. I really like it.

They could've gone and made a second The Artist In The Ambulance, but luckily they did something new that can compete with their older stuff.

^ Live at AOL Sessions with a string section.

12. RyanfromtheShire

People classify everything as emo these days. They're not emo, Fall out Boy isn't emo..MCR isn't emo and The used aren't emo.

Fugazi, Rites of Springs, Sunny Day Real Estate...they're emo...they invented the genre..

All the bands that are around today are just bad imitations of emo and punk....basically making them pop-punk or pop-emo if you will.

13. Sid

So, because these bands invented the "genre", no newer bands can be labelled emo?

14. YamazakiSusumu

Thrice isn't good anymore. Illusion of Safety and Identity Crisis are two amazing albums. They went downhill with Artist in the Ambulance and this new one Vheissu (or whatever it is) is just bad.

I stick with the old stuff.

15. Dimezanime88

And guys, I'm still clueless on whether to download their CDs or not. I got from you guys so far that they have 3 CD's? The one with the songs I mentioned, is that CD packed with good amount of songs, like the ones I mentioned?

16. YamazakiSusumu

There are 4 CDs, dimez. If you like what you've heard, then get the 2 newer ones. If you're smart, however, get the 2 old ones, too.

17. DyersEve

18. RyanfromtheShire

If they sounded emo they could. They sound nothing like real emo..they took the "idea" of emo and went with it...didn't keep the style or sound...which is the most important part.

19. NaRa

I think they are a good band.I own their newest album and downloaded alot of their older ones.Probably my favorites are Music Box,Deadbolt,Opaque(acoustic),And their cover of Eleanor Rigby(Beatles)

and yeah the Earth Will Shake is pretty great.

And as for genre..well i really don't care what genre their in.I like em thats all that matters to me.

20. Dimezanime88

Like c'mon, can't you make the choices more easier for me?:cry I just want to know which of their CDs are really good and worth listening to. I just want to hear some good ol' headbanging music that I can atleast jump and go crazy to. And I don't mean heavy metal music. But punk rock like this.:p

21. YamazakiSusumu

The 2 old CDs are more punkish while the 2 newer ones are more metalish. My personal opinion is that the first 2 are amazing and worth a listen, while the newer ones are very forgettable (the newest one even moreso). I do give them credit for well-crafted musicianship and Dustin's vocals, but the new CD is boring.

Identity Crisis = Very Good
    The Illusion of Safety = Masterpiece
    The Artist in the Ambulance = Meh, It's OK...
    Vheissu = I'll Pass

If that wasn't enough for you to make a decision, then I don't know what else to tell you.

22. sasuke_limays

23. DyersEve

I agree with Yamazaki that Illusion of Safety was a masterpiece(it still stands as my favorite, now that the euphoria of the arrival of Vhiessu has passed on) but I can't dissagree more that the new stuff isn't worth a listen. But to each his own, as always..

24. Dimezanime88

Ah, so first two as a first try. Ok, I'll listen to them, atleast a 3-4 listen and come back with my review.:p Thanks guys.:)

25. IBU

I really enjoy thrice. They have alot of feeling and emotion in their music without coming off whiny. Personally I think the albums to buy by them are Vheissu or The Illusion of Safety, both are excellent and well rounded albums. But they are very different nonetheless, if you enjoy something more upbeat dont get illusion of safety if you are looking for something more atmospheric get vheissu.