1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Tabs, chords and sheet music

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by mow, Jan 18, 2005.

1. mow

Okay sry if i took forever to make this thread, but ive been searching all over the net for the best and most accurate tabs to post the links for you all here (trust me theres a load of junk wesbitses out there).

This thread will host the guitar tabs, if some of you cant find the tabs for a certain song, just post a request here (mention the name of the song in the topic of your post please) and ill dig in and post it here :amuse

This thread will also contain the anime music sheets.

Tags:
  2. mow

Music TABS

Bass Tabs

Drum Tabs

Piano Sheets

3. mow

Anime & Game Music Tabs

Naruto Music Sheets

Tabs One

Tabs two

Tabs Three

Tabs Five

Tabs Six

4. Violence Fight

Best Guitar Tab Page i use is Tabs One.

Go there, Download the powertab program. You then have a program that shows the tab, and plays the tab in midi form. they have tons of songs and a helpful rating system.

and then the best video game tab site I found is: Tabs Three

5. mow

to HEAR (and you can d/l, but you got show da cash :p) songs go to

to HEAR classical piano compostions go to

Tabs Three

6. Lunar

great thread moe, music is the shit - But playing music is even better ^^

7. mow

Hence the title :p

but do check the other new threads ive made, In The Spotlight and We Are In Love With Words . I really wish everyone becomes more active in the Music departement :amuse

8. aslan

I gonna add my fav tab site

this is a good stie for quick tabs but its user submitted so make sure you have the song your trying to learn handy so you can get the proper feel (I say tabs are a last resort try to get the cheat sheet or the actualy sheets first)

9. mow

:nana already posted that link mate :amuse *points to first post*

10. aslan

oh sorry man

didn't see it just bump it off or somthing

11. aslan

Music 101

Now me and Moe where talking this over last night

this thread is dedicatied to the playng/learing to play music

simply put I'm gonna give tips/lessons on music theory

I'm not formaly trained mind you (I'm slef taught) but I do have close to 10yrs experance in Bass and gutiar, fiddled with panio and mess on the drums.
    I have played rock, jazz, swing, blues, fusion jazz, and classical.

I specialize in Bass mianly but have a good knowledge of all around music theory.

I will be able to supply a geat # of cool scales/modes that could improve the free style musician out there. And if any one has a Bass qustion I will go into detail about it.

also I know that I'm not the only muscian out there so if any one wants to impart their knowlege here too go ahead. I encourage it.

oh and also we can talk theory as well (for those music nerds out there)

this is not a place to ask "how can I play this song" or "how does (such and sucn a band) play (such and such a song)" I think there is a thead that does that already.

12. Malice (inactive)

I can give some tips for drums.....well...lots. If I'm aloud, i'll post some stuff..

13. aslan

this is great a drumer.

now I can have a talk about the bassist/drumer relationship in a band and why it is so important that both knows what the others doing (this is so over looked in 4 peice bands that are starting out)

14. mow

Malice, you are more than welcome to add yuor knowlegde to this mate, Id appreciate it greatly :amuse.

15. Malice (inactive)

Thanks Moe.

Well thing one...

As Aslan said, the relationship between the drummer and bassist is important, in my oppinion, the most important. They are the rythm section and keep everything together.

On drums...

Most important things of drumming are being relaxed, keeping a steady tempo, knowing what's going on, and having variety without straying from the original beat. When you're practicing, if your having trouble with something, slow it down and repeat 20 or 30 times. Experiment. And also very important is practicing the boring easy stuff.

16. mow

True, you need not to look further than U2 to see how important the relationship between the drumer and bassist must be.

Oh and guys as you post, do you mind if i edit your post? Im not going to delte anything or mess withit, im just gonna make it all bolted, fancy looking as stuff (yeah i know i got lots of spare time on my hands :sweatdrop)

17. aslan

yes I agree
    now I'm gonna add some things from a bass players point of view.

now as a bass player you are part of the main rythem section but also you are a medium between rythem and the high end or medley(sp?) section.

this is very important to remember

as a starting bass player try to keep to the root notes of the chords being played by the gutiar/panio/etc that is holding up the high end so this way you can listen harder to what the dumer is doing (what accents is he hitting what breaks/rolls is he working with) and try to match up with that. As you get better or start playing in bigger bands (like 6-12 members) you should attend seperate pratices with just the dumer so the two of you can break down what is being played by each other and look/hear the less forward things each other is doing; that way you two will be tight and be able to play off each other in a live format.

also bass players should also talk to teh gutiarist or panio player to see what excat chords they are playing and more important the over all key of the song being played (this helps alot with playing walking bass lines in that it helps make the transition smoother between chords seeing as most times you will want to hit the root of the chord when the chord change happens but still have a flow to the walk).

but above all else as a bass player MAKE SURE YOU HIT THE SAME ACCENTS/BREAKS AS THE DRUMER. (unless your doing some cool off beat interchange between the two of you than its cool)

oh and moe go ahead and fiddle with this if you like

and if any one wants me to explain deeper i will, I;m just giving the basics on how the bass and drums work together

18. AlphaKeny1

Cool. Can you post some scales for the guitar? I know the pentatonic scale (and some others) but are there different variations to the minor pentatonic? Also, teach me as much theory as you know that'd be awesome :D For specific questions... uhm... how would you know which scale would fit with a song? What are some cool soloing or strumming techniques? Or, what are the formulas for chords and how do you get them? Like, how would I get D9 on both the E and A strings, etc? Thanks alot.

19. Violence Fight

guitar scales. You mean modes? I guess I could try to do that really quick.

First Octave |Second Octave.
    e|-X-XR-X-XX-X-X-XR-X-XX-X-
    b|-XX-X-X-XR-X-XX-X-X-XR-X-
    g|XR-X-XX-X-X-XR-X-XX-X-X-X
    d|-X-X-XR-X-XX-X-X-XR-X-XX-
    a|-X-XX-X-X-XR-X-XX-X-X-XR-
    E|-X-XR-X-XX-X-X-XR-X-XX-X-

its hard to represent this well on here, and its easier for me to just tab it out then go find one. So I'll explain. A Major Scales formula is a Whole Step, Whole Step, Half Step. whole step, whole step, whole step, half step. If we were to use C, that would give use the notes C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C. The thing up top breaks this down on the fretboard of the guitar.

The R represents the Root Note of the scale. So using C again, that means it'd be C. the X's are all the other notes in the scale. the dashes are the frets you skip.

I put both octaves of the scales. Once you hit a certain point the scales repeat again, Its kind of hard to explain if you don't understand. Basically using this whatever note the Root Note is, is the scale your playing. All the modes just connect down the neck, I would've broken it down into individual scales, but this gives you a feel of how they all interconnect and repeat as you go down the neck.

Guitar Tips.

work on using your pinky(4 finger) early. Its helpful later on and it takes awhile to build up. It may seem easier to play with just 3 fingers, but its helpful in the long run.

Figure out paterns in playing. And learn theory. I thought I understood guitar at first..then I took a theory class and learned why I was playing what i was playing. Using theory you can figure things out faster.

Figure out songs by Ear. It'll definately improve your ear for tuning and playing all around. It can also add diversity to your playing and teach you new patterns and licks.

work with fingerpicking earlier. Fingerpicking is a hard thing to master, but the riffs and sounds you can create with it are amazing.

Work with different strumming rhythms and patterns. Rhythm is a key in playing well.

20. aslan

ok I'm gonna post some pics of scales and modes and such also I'm gonna add a fun thing called a Chord Formula Chart (this will be your best friend) and also I will explain how to read it

ok here's the (it's big but I suggest you right click and save as)

it works like this :

it take the most common scales or keys that are played and then gives you the notes needed to make a chord (for example in the C major section -the C major scale is layed out in the post above me- they show that the major chord for that scale is made up of the 1-3-5 notes of the scale -C-E-G- but skip ahead a bit to the DOM 7 there is a flated 7th added to the chord -B flat- so as long as you know the scale you can work from it). I hope this helps I suggect expermeting with the number of chord types you can get out of this and remeber that you don't have to stickl to just the keys on the chart try working in other keys

OK here are some scales/modes

They are all in the key of C and are from a Bass book I had so it has bass Tab and notation in bass Clef (tho the Bass tabs can be used on gutiar and Panio players can read bass clef).

also how to read them: you will see notes circled these are the root notes (in this case always C natural) so you can start from the root and work top the next octive thu site reading.

now on to the links (again large so you can read easy)

I play the blues scale with out the major 3rd btw I just don't like how it fits

ok this is like 2 hrs of work to scan this in upload it and post it so I hope I get at least some rep for this
    and if you got and questions just ask

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  21. AlphaKeny1

Wow. You guys rock so hard. Seriously, thanks so much :D

22. aslan

your welcome alpha

if you have any quesions remember I check here at least once a day

also learn them scales in side and out the basics will help your playing so much you won't even know

test kiddies

guess the note in my avatar and I'll give you rep

(only clue It's not a 16th note)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  23. mary no jutsu

can i help. i've been playing piano since i was 4 or 5 something like that don't remember. well anyways i would like to help. i'm pretty much decent in everything except composing. i never got around to memorizing chords me being lazy as i am. and my piano teacher getting to senile to notice i hadn't. God i miss her.

well anyways i'd like to help.

24. mow

sure thing Mary, any input is more than welcomed :amuse

25. Violence Fight

see. you did what I should've done. But I didn't feel like digging around the net.

Yes, those scales(particularly the different modes of them) will be your best friends. Master those patterns, and it won't matter what major/Minor scale you play in, as you will have the tools necessary to understand it.

And Asian. The note in your sig looks like an 8th note, but has 2 tails, which throws me off. I'm not going to guess seeing as A. I'm not comepletely positive. And B. I don't need the rep.(But off the record mostly becuase im stuck between it being an 8th and a 32nd note).

26. aslan

man I did not dig around on the net I pulled it out of books I had laying around for referance sake (scanned them my self and up loaded them my self) but yeah it was still a lot of work

you got the right idea it is some where between a 8th and a 32ed think about how dots after a note work to extend the length of the note (example when you dot a half note it runs for 3 counts instead of 2)

yes mary it would be great to have some one with panio on board here (if any one does brass or woodwind I'll need someone to help me in that aera too)

man I love doing this it forces me to remeber and relearn so much of the stuff I've ingored.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  27. Violence Fight

I know this. I have no scanner, thus for me to do that I would've needed to dig around the net.

28. aslan

cool chord

now every gutiar player here might know this already but it's cool any way

first start off with the basic open C chord

e-0
    B-1
    G-0
    D-2
    A-3
    E-X

ok good so now you know the baisc open C chord but thats not what I'm getting that
    now take that chord and move your fingers up 2 frets so it looks like this.

EDIT

e-0
    B-3
    G-0
    D-4
    A-5
    E-X

now this IMO sounds real cool and if you slide between this chord and the C even better.

Give it a try and tell me what you's think

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  29. Violence Fight

im trying to think of what chord name that would be..since the notes(CEC) were changed to (C# F# and D) so the entire thing would be (From highest to lowest string) E C# G F# D. ugh I suck at chord names. I'll have to try it when I get home, but i already have an idea what this sounds like.

as for cool chords. Heres a chord in drop D I use alot.

e|-x
    b|-10
    g|-9
    d|-7
    a|-8
    d|-0

(In note terms its(Highest to lowest) A E A F D. its almost an alarm clock chord[nickname given to the type of chord used in alot of metal break downs, sounds like an alarm clock when played in bursts])

really chords in drop D I use that I haven't seen much of in music are.

e|-x
    b|-x
    g|-x
    d|-2
    a|-3
    d|-0

e|-x
    b|-x
    g|-x
    d|-7
    a|-8
    d|-0

the first is a modified C chord, I use it when I want something to sound slightly lower than a C powerchord, but still retain that C feel. the second is another C chord variation, only it uses F and A(more than likely making it an F chord variation). Its a nice chord to add in when you need something different instead of using an F octave or Powerchord(Since I play in F major, I use F a fair amount of times).

it also sounds really good if you do a bunch of hammer ons and pulls offs to the open d chord in drop D. then slide it down to the modified variation at F. great for rockin' breakdown effects.

e|-X
    b|-x
    g|-x
    d|-0
    a|-0
    D|-0(Most basic drop D power chord ever, seeing as its an open strum)

30. aslan

The chord is really a varation on the Emajor (I'll have to look it up me and a friend found it by mistake and took us a day or 2 to break it down and figure it out) but it is a E

also it develop a good sound with out doing much while playing power 5 chords

ex

e-x
    B-x
    G-9
    D-9
    A-7
    E-x

try taking the root and sliding down one fret so it looks like this

e-x
    B-x
    G-9
    D-9