1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Teach me to draw please

Discussion in 'Art 101' started by Jimnast, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Jimnast Shinobi

Please teach me how to draw.

Tags:
  2. Core Member

You can't instanly learn how to draw just like that...... practice.

3. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

My advice:

Try mimicing drawings than unti you get good at mimicing draw drawrings that aren't mimiced.

4. Jimnast Shinobi

Yes I know about practicing, but I don't the rules of drawing, especially for anime, like dividing the head into so many parts and drawing from different angles and things like that. What kinds of pens and pencils and things you need to use.

5. genjo sanzo FLCLtard

lol hmmm this is hard for me to explain really. Uh well hmmmm....damn theres really no boundaries cuz it all depends on what you're gonna draw.
    what do u mean dividing the head into diff parts and angles?

and just use a normal pencil, nothing special.

6. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

There is no special rules the only rule is not to trace nor plagarise. Thats all. Art is expression of oneself.

7. Core Member

So you are looking for basic drawing tutorials?

8. Dimezanime88 Tha Blak Demen

if you ask nicely over at I'm sure alot of the artist there will help out.:)

9. Core Member

Has some good tuts.

10. Jimnast Shinobi

Question, when drawing construction lines, do you draw the construction lines and then draw your character over them, or use them as a reference and draw more defined to the side of the construction lined drawing. Because if I draw over my construction lines, when I'm finished, if I want to rub them out, I'll be rubbing out my final character. And secondly drawing over construction lines if messed up, cause I can't see what I'm doing.

11. cherlye shika-kun`

has really good tutorials.

12. Jimnast Shinobi

Thanks very much

13. ArioNeko I Hate Dubtards

Is good stuff aswell. Has a list of multiple guides and difficulty levels.

14. Jef88 88

Jhrono if you have msn i can maybe help you via msn :)

15. Jimnast Shinobi

I pmed it to you.

16. InEviTabLe.SiN I like..food?

I don't do that. I just take a pencil and some paper and I draw.

17. shurikenninja I MUST GRADUTE

Crush HIM

Yes same here dont trace it takes time to draw but if your trying to impress a grilfriend then trace or a kid or some one is out drawing you trace and then tell him you drew it your self then crush him CRUSH HIS LITTLE SOUL:laugh :laugh

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  18. shurikenninja I MUST GRADUTE

Ehhhhhhhhh

this site isnt that good; it just shows you what it looks like or things like that... My theroy don't go there but you can see for your self:S

19. Jimnast Shinobi

I'm just learning to draw for myself, I don't have a girlfriend, to impress.

20. Therahedwig Parodie Nin

okey...

Well, ofcourse, it depends on what you wish to draw.
    Because that will be your focuss from now on...

First thing to learn is how to use a pencil right:
    You have to learn how to put the right amount of presure on a regular pen, and what kind of lines it produces. because some lines are dark and un-eraseble, and some lines are light and very well eraseble.

Sketching(draw relativly light and easily eraseble lines), will be your most important skill when drawing.
    Why? Because they're eraseble, and thus they can help you set up a drawing, if you're happy with the sketch, then you can trace the most important lines thickly, and then you can erase the sketch lines without erasing the final picture!
    (needless to say, sketching is used for construction lines.)
    Sketching can be learned by just experimenting how much pressure you need to put on a pencil, and trying to make little light drawings...

Second skill you need to learn, is to be able to observe.
    yes, this may sound either really stupid, or really deep, but the skill to observe, allows you to see what shape your hand has, or what shape an eye has.
    Also the abilty to observe allows you to notice, there's something wrong with your drawing and might even allow you to see what you're exactly doing wrong!
    Observing isn't that hard to train, just look at stuff and try examine it by just looking; notice what kind of structure this site uses, notice how the the floor looks like, notice that your monitor isn't exactly white and smooth...(I'm just pulling some examples out of my hat here...)
    Observing also means mimicking.

Third skill is to do research:
    You have anatomy books that can tell you, that the human body is as long as around 7 or 8 heads. You also have other books that tell you the fine principles of drawing eyes, or drawing in perspective.

Fourth skill is abit like the third; know you material:
    You should be able to know what the difference is between pencils:
    H for hard, HB for regular, B for soft.
    You should be able know that most people who draw use HB and 2B.
    You should be able know, that it's advised to get a good plastic eraser, because these don't destroy your drawing, you should also know that most people who work with heavy shadowing in pencildrawing, often use a kneedable eraser instead of a regular one...
    You should be able know that Paper comes in different forms:
    You have hotpressed paper, which is smooth, and on the opposite you have coldpressed paper, which is very grainy.(and often used for artistic purposes)

And ofcourse, most overlooked of all, you need to practice...

A lot...

And I ain't talking about 10 drawings a day, I'm talking about drawing nearly every time you can...

At least, if you wish to improve with leaps.
    Because how fast you improve, depends on how much you you practice drawing...

Any questions?

21. Jimnast Shinobi

Thanks , that's the type of help I was looking for in the beginning when I made this post, not pointless posts like this one "You can't instanly learn how to draw just like that...... practice." No questions.

22. Therahedwig Parodie Nin

23. Mizura Meh

My advice when searching for howtos on just about anything?

Google it. "How to draw [insert whatever it is you want to learn: anatomy, anime, eyes, animals, pots]"

Take some time to find the method that best suits you, and try to stick to it instead of hopping from method to method too much, because no method leads to instant results. No matter what way you chose, it'll still take you a few hundred hours of work to be decent.

And remember: when you start off, you're basically stupid. So swallow your pride and go find some anatomy references instead of expecting it to come out of just your head when it's never been in there in the first place. Instead of just drawing the same wrong figures over and over, go find a reference, preferably from an anatomy book or the likes, try to replicate it, then try to replicate it without looking at it, then see what's off and look at the reference again and repeat until you understand what you're doing.

Oh and, for some drawing series, you might find that there are several levels to it. Start at level 1, not at level 6 where you do battle poses immediately: you'd just fail to get anywhere. Start with the basics. Master them. Work up.

24. zing384 New Member

why?

:narutokyu :kksharing

So many questions but not enough answers.............

why..........

why..........

why..........

25. zing384 New Member

why?

why..........

why..........

why..........

26. zing384 New Member

why?

why..........

why..........

why..........

27. zing384 New Member

why?

why..........

why..........

why..........

28. zing384 New Member

why?

why..........

why..........

why..........

29. Mizura Meh

Why? Simple: because there isn't one simple answer to how to draw. You have to be a Lot more specific.

Draw what? Anatomy? Background? Eyes? Intestines? There is no miracle answer to all of those "just like that". If you expect an answer without being specific, you're bound to not get anything at all because each tiny aspect of drawing (hair, eyes, legs, nose, movement, everything) can only be covered by several pages each. How the hell are we supposed to tell anyone how to do that?

If the question is "how to get started", then there are sites for beginners yes. But you still have to make the effort of learning yourself. And it took me several hundred hours before I can get to the level of my latest picture (could have done better, but I did this more for the concept than the art). It's just not easy.

And you're even More bound to fail if you don't even have the patience to seek out answers for yourself. That's why everybody said "practice". If you are of the mentality to seek answers for yourself and do what it takes: "I want to LEARN how to draw", then sooner or later, you'll be able to draw. If you're more of the mentality to expect people to spoon-feed you, then give up. Drawing is not for lazy people.

By the way, posting the same thing over and over again is not allowed, please use the edit button to remove the excessive posts...

30. Ultimate Animie Artist Hokage