1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Teacher says school's transgender name policy goes against his religious beliefs

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Onomatopoeia, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Onomatopoeia In a word: Brilliant

Thoughts? :hmm

Tags:
  2. stream Do something, Naruto!

On one hand, I don't see why he's making such a deal out of it. On the other hand, he proposed to call students by their last name, and I think that's acceptable.

3. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

Oh boy here we go, first the cakes now this

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Eros 同性愛者

France
    Catdank Faction:
    It's time for people to be able to legally change their gender on their birth certificates. For minors, this would require parental consent, but it's none of the teacher's God damn business. Lord's name in vain is intentional here, so bite me.

5. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    I think it also about mr or ms something.

6. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

Nor do I. The name a person chooses to go by is something that affects them alone. There's no rationale other than prejudice that would explain why he's making a big deal out of this. No rationale other than forcing his religious beliefs onto others for his "sensibilities" to be offended.

That's the problem with the Republican hardline on the "First Amendment" solely for Christian groups: they claim "freedom of speech" but it is almost always used as a vehicle to use your beliefs to justify discrimination against others.

7. Eros 同性愛者

France
    Catdank Faction:
    There are protections against , and they have been upheld on Constitutional grounds by SCOTUS. It could easily be interpreted, by extension, that the 14th Amendment applies this principle to transgender children in schools. This child's parents should contact the ACLU. I venture to say it will definitely go to a Circuit Court and might even go before SCOTUS. If SCOTUS takes the case, a 5-4 decision in favor of the child is very likely.

8. Shidoshi Cross Marian: Ninjai's Father

If I were the student, I'd just ask to be transferred...

...no need for everybody to get all up in a panty-twist.

...but that's also just me. I can't speak for anyone else.

9. Matto Chosen One

Yeah, no. He doesn't have the right to disrespect the student by refusing to honor the name and gender change. The school was right to get rid of him.

10. Eros 同性愛者

France
    Catdank Faction:
    See, the kid could face discrimination in the new school. It is the responsibility of teachers and school administration to keep kids safe from discrimination. If a teacher can't do that, then he or she is in the wrong profession. This isn't 1950.

11. Harmonie Crazy Woodwind Lady

Why should the transgender student have to transfer? It is the duty of a publicly-funded school to have an atmosphere - at the very least among the staff - that is welcoming and positive. If a teacher can't get past their "sincerely-held religious beliefs" enough to even do something this basic, then they're in the wrong profession.

12. Shidoshi Cross Marian: Ninjai's Father

Let's take a step back. No where did I say the student should have to transfer. No where did I say I think the student should transfer. I only said what I'd do in that situation, mostly because I'd find it easier to just take the same class with another teacher, if that's an option. Back in high school, I had enough shit to deal with in life without having to add that to my plate.

*Edit: I see my wording could have made my intent ambiguous -- that wasn't my intention. I should have said "If I were in that situation", rather than "if I were that student".

As I said originally, I can't speak for anyone else.

That's it.

13. Amol Chief of Wisdom

Who the fuck this teacher think he is too decide by which name he should call someone?
    For example only I can decide what my name should be. It is about showing basic respect to individual by calling him/her by their name.
    Fuck this guy. I hope he never gets another job. His self righteous attitude is harmful for kids.

14. Eros 同性愛者

France
    Catdank Faction:
    I didn't even like teachers coming up with pet names for me or calling me by my full name.

15. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

I actually agree here, he shouldn't have been asked to resign over this. He should have been corrected by the administration and then fired with prejudice.

I can only imagine how quickly I'd be fired if I insisted on calling one of my customers by any name other than the one that they requested I use.

16. Lord Valgaav My fries

What religious belief is that exactly? It's just a name they're choosing, its not like the kid's asking him to give them gender reassignment surgery.

I'd say the teacher is wrong on this one. More like transgender phobia than anything else.

17. DeK3iDE Well-Known Member

schools are the epicenter of far leftist values, so i'm hardly surprised this happened.

18. Killmonger Hatred

So they forced him to partake in another person's delusion, and people in this thread are for it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  19. Xhominid The Avaricious

This. Hell, if he stated that he would be okay by calling them by their LAST NAME, how in the hell is that not okay and he should call them by the name they want him to call them? How in the blue fuck is that suddenly so fucking wrong? I mean, I would understand if he only called them by just their first name but he even conceded to calling them by their last name like any other sane human being when they are in a situation like Teacher-Student, Boss-Worker.

I mean come on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  20. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

Changing your name and asking to be referred to that name is "delusion"?

:heckk

21. Xhominid The Avaricious

If they won't allow him to even say their last name and only that name? Honestly...yes, that is pretty delusional. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get fired for trying to force people to say the name you want them to say at your job, so why are they allowing it at schools?

22. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say. If "call people by the name they want to be called" is too hard for some people, maybe they shouldn't be in a job where they have to interact with people on a regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  23. Cardboard Tube Knight Breaking hearts; breaking rackets

Then go teach somewhere else, preferably a school that matches up with your religion.

Society doesn’t have to bend over backwards to accommodate you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  24. Matto Chosen One

I'm sure a lot of students wouldn't like the change to be called by their last name. Calling students by only their last name is not common in US schools (outside of maybe sports).

Further, this would inadvertently single out the transgender student. It would be pretty obvious that the teacher is suddenly calling everyone by their last name to avoid using the transgender student's first name, and that doesn't create a fair or safe atmosphere for that student. It also suggests to other students that they don't have to respect the student's name change either - how can the school expect students to respect the student in question if there's staff who openly do not?

If a teacher can't do something as simple as honor a student's name change, they shouldn't be in the classroom, period.

25. Amol Chief of Wisdom

People nowadays throw SJW word wherever they can. No matter how nonsensical it is.
    It is like Hitler thing. Anything you don't like is SJW.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  26. Xhominid The Avaricious

As if you just can't flip it around the other way...

Both Alt-Right and Far Left need to get their heads out of their asses.

And you are acting as if calling them by their transgender name rather than their real name won't get the cat out of the bag either right? People do have access to the internet and it's not at all hard to find out about people even remotely or the teachers themselves slipping up...

You state that it should only be allowed in schools except schools are to prepare you for the real world, so how would it be anymore unacceptable to be called by your last name in school than it would be at your job?

27. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

What in the world makes you think that it would be appropriate in a job to call someone something other than what they want to be called?

28. Matto Chosen One

It's not about 'outing' the student, nor is it about the teacher 'slipping up.' It's about the teacher coming up with an entire policy to avoid calling a student by their name, which quite transparently shows that he doesn't think he should have to call the student by the name they want used, and that shows other students that they don't have to respect the student either. That is not an acceptable solution for that student, on top of being weird for other students in his classes. The most respectful solution - and the easiest - is for the teacher to simply try his best to learn to use the student's new name. The teacher simply does not want to do it because of prejudice.

And by the way, I've never had a job where employees were referred to by their last names instead of their first names by each other or by bosses. Even in schools, teachers, counselors, administrators and other staff typically address each other with first names, unless students are present (and even then, first and last names are often used interchangeably).

29. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the "soy" meme that keeps on getting thrown around.

30. Xhominid The Avaricious

A job that works by professionalism and that they themselves can easily remember. And again not to mention, what if someone wants to be called something stupid or completely offensive?
    Are you telling me that it's appropriate for someone to want themselves to be called by their nickname or gamertag on Xbox Live?

I would have to say that it's equally the opposite reaction because you also have to stretch it to those levels to begin with. You are saying it HAS to be about prejudice when it can simply be because of the teacher simply believing what he chooses. It's also up to the student's themselves on whether or not they want to respect the student or not. I even gave you that even if he does call her him/her by the name they want, it doesn't matter to ultimately appease them to hide them being transgender because people can find out in many other ways and the problem will still happen.
    The only difference is that the teacher "is at fault" rather than the actual problem at that point.

[/QUOTE]And by the way, I've never had a job where employees were referred to by their last names instead of their first names by each other or by bosses. Even in schools, teachers, counselors, administrators and other staff typically address each other with first names, unless students are present (and even then, first and last names are often used interchangeably).[/QUOTE]
    And I had plenty of times, in plenty of schools, magazines sent to me and many other things where my name was spelled wrong or mispronounced many times despite saying exactly how it's said and spelled multiple times and I was still able to move on fine as I know it's a rare variant of a name that is usually spelled differently.
    Now, of course that's also me but you also have to understand that you cannot just look at yourself just like how I cannot only look on this and see how it would be for everyone else and I simply feel that it's not helping.