• NBDContest
    Come enter in the NBD Banner Contest !
    Deadline for entries is February 4 at 12:00 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Tenten vs. Shino

Shino vs. Tenten

• Shino

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • Tenten

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
Tenten vs. Shino, two long/medium range fighters. One who'll stab you to death, the other will suck the life outta you. Who'll win? Tenten has an extra year experience, while Shino was second in his class after Sasuke.

EDIT: Just for purposes of making this fair and clear, we have to use the only time and area which we've both seen them fight, which was during the preliminaries on that battle ground.

Last edited:

Ghost-

Gone like the wind
Tenten, she'd stick a kunai in his head before he could do anything. Pretty lame I know, but it's what she'd do to basically everyone from the rookie 9.

Um sure Tenten lost vs. Temari who was defeated by Shikamru. This is the only time I have seen her fight.

Shino has used slugs to take out no name ninjas in the 2nd chunin exam test, Took out one of the sound guys, and Kankuro actually backed out of a fight. Before Shino tracked him down and took him on in a win that left him poisoned. Ten while shika and others were retreiving sasuke Shino was already out on a more important mission.

Tenten would put on a godd show but she doesn't have enough experience.

Rurouni

Mushishi
Just because TenTen's older doesn't necessarily mean that she's better. I think Shino would win. He seems to be a better fighter in many ways. But we haven't seen enough of them to say for sure.

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
SasukeAvenger said:
Um sure Tenten lost vs. Temari who was defeated by Shikamru. This is the only time I have seen her fight.

Shino has used slugs to take out no name ninjas in the 2nd chunin exam test, Took out one of the sound guys, and Kankuro actually backed out of a fight. Before Shino tracked him down and took him on in a win that left him poisoned. Ten while shika and others were retreiving sasuke Shino was already out on a more important mission.

Tenten would put on a godd show but she doesn't have enough experience.
Um, I think you mean leeches, and I think they were either Kiba's or just because they were in the forest of death. I think all they did was use the surroundings to their advantage to lay traps. He took out a guy with barely use of his arms. And Kankuro backed out to speed up the tournament.

On the other hand, he seems pretty good at using the Bug kawarimi so he might avoid attacks long enough to use his bugs on her. Then again, she has a ton of weapons she can use.

Although I think Shino would win, I think its definitely a good fight

Raikiri

R.I.P. Kisame, keep pimpin
I'd go with Shino. Tenten is good at throwing stuff, but she needs more than that. Heck, angry housewives are good at throwing stuff at their husbands, but I wouldn't pick them in a fight over a yucky bug infested dude.

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
I dunno...those bugs are pretty slow, on the other hand, throwing weapons are fast, and for her, deadly accurate. By the time they left his arms, he'd probably be a pin cushion. She never misses unless forced to miss, and he doesn't have a defense that can force her to miss.

My personal opinion is this won't be a close fight at all.

Even Kiba, during the chuunin finals prelims, is skeptic about fighting Shino. This should be enough evidence to say that Shino is around Kiba's level or above.

Kiba is good enough to survive against Sakon/Ukon, meaning Shino could probably do the same. Sakon/Ukon is good enough to beat Sasuke. You think TenTen has a glimmer of hope against someone on Sasuke's level? Temari got schooled by Sasuke in a few moments.

So my line of thinking is, at the time of each's respective battle, Tenten<Temari<Sasuke < Sakon/Ukon. And we know Kiba can do an excellent job against the twins when they are at CS level 2, which Sasuke didn't even get to fighting.

Tenten got demolished by a sand shinobi, while Shino was able to achieve a draw with Kankurou.

I really don't think Tenten is close to the level which Shino is at.

If people can't follow my logic, then I'll leave it at, Shino's smarter and more deceptive. Straight long range physical attacks aren't enough to beat him. Kankurou's whole fighting strategy is long range, and look what happened to him. And Kankurou would leave holes in Tenten.

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
Can't follow? How about can't agree. Ever heard of the game rock paper scissors?

Kiba only says that Shino is creepy, and thats only because he's a close range fighter and that means he'd be very vulnerable to getting bugs on him. Both Sasuke and Kiba survived losing to Sakon, yet you say it like Sasuke lost while Kiba won. Your logic is horribly faulty. If Sakura loses to Sakon and Sasuke loses to Sakon, are they equal? By your logic, then since Tenten can beat Sakura, she could also beat Sakon. See how it fails?

Tenten didn't get demolished, she got countered by wind. But just because water beats fire doesn't mean water can burn down a forest.
Kankuro isn't fighting here, Shino is. Look at the people by what they do and how they fight, not who they beat. Shino is also slower, less experienced, less agile, and his bugs move even slower than him.

Last edited:
O

Oldboy

Shino would own so hard that tenten would quit being a ninja and marry me. Did i miss something? I only saw tenten vs temari and she got owned real hard. Tenten is the weakest among rookies. Maybe she isn't weaker than ino and sakura. She can only throw kunai etc, worthless tecniques. Even more worthless agains shino, he can block them by his bugs...

Depends on where they're fighting. In a forest or somewhere with many hiding places, it's all about Shino. In somewhere like the preliminary matches, Shino would probably get hit a few times before busting something (Like he did against Zaku or Shikamaru did against Kin). He could use a bug shield to block Kunai, like he attempted against Kankuro's poison. The problem here is that Tenten doesn't look "underneath the underneath". I think that would lead to her defeat.

Oldboy said:
I only saw tenten vs temari and she got owned real hard. Tenten is the weakest among rookies.

Tenten isn't even a rookie. The only rookies are Ino-Shika-Chou, Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, Hinata, Shino and Kiba. Maybe Gaara.

Last edited:

purplecharm

Female Fatale
Well let's see... the anime creater always seems to make the male ninjas are stronger than the females, only Tsunade and maybe 10% of Temari that prove that wrong... When I heard Ten-Ten said sex doesn't have anything to do with power... I'm like... then why the hell do I see the male ninjas win 90%! Well whatever I think Shino will win since he's male ninjas and the creator will definitely do that!!! GRR

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
Actually I forgot who but one of the characters said female genin generally have weaker combat skills than males. However, Shino doesn't show much in terms of combat skills himself(Tenten's Taijutsu rating is higher) so I think he could be beaten

Marsala

The Ice-Cream Man Cometh
Insipidipity said:
Actually I forgot who but one of the characters said female genin generally have weaker combat skills than males. However, Shino doesn't show much in terms of combat skills himself(Tenten's Taijutsu rating is higher) so I think he could be beaten
Shikamaru said that, but he's a sexist. Of course, he's also right. Even Tsunade has less in the way of combat skills than her male counterparts. And it does make sense. There were practically no women on the battlefield in pre-modern times (there still aren't many), not because of sexist stereotypes but because women tend to have less physical strength than men and so weren't as effective fighters. Of course there are exceptions, and talking about generalities in a specific one-on-one match between two fighters is pointless.

This fight comes down to terrain. Tenten should win in a closed arena like the Forest of Death's tower since her weapon-throwing skills would give her a huge advantage, but Shino would win in terrain with good cover like a forest, since his bugs would let him attack from an even greater distance by surprise.

martryn

Dick in hand
Shino's bug shield would disable any if Tenten's attacks. The bugs probably protect him much like Gaara's sand. Unless Tenten has some technique that we haven't seen yet (and I'm sure she does) then Shino would own. To be really sure you would have to see Tenten in action again. But then again we need to see Shino in action again too.

Anyway, I stick with Shino winning.

Ghost-

Gone like the wind
Tenten's scrolls would rip him apart (i'm using the anime as canon for her since well...she doesn't do anything in the manga, heh). Like I said, she throws a kunai in his head and he dies. It's really that simple, people just don't like to admit it. Perfect aim is a skill people seriously underestimate, a soldier in the army with perfect aim would be singled out as incredable, and even in a world like Naruto...it doesn't matter how you beat your opponents as long as you won and they lost right?

Sol 3dge

Within the Darkness
Shino beat Kankurou, Tenten got beat by Temari. Shino is way more talented and powerful. Shino wins!

Yea, I'm not even talking about counters etc. Shino just has Tenten straight beat. The point of my logic is to say he is on a completely different level.

You can't say Kiba was only scared because he is a close range fighter. He quotes specifically "He'll be alright. He is strong. Even I wouldn't want to fight him" And Naruto backs the statement after that fight with "Damn, was Shino really that strong?". Everyone is obviously impressed. TenTen definitely wasn't a competitor in the chuunin exam finals, while Shino deserved to be. I think the only person who should have made it who didn't is Rock Lee.

Sakura loses to Sakon and Sasuke loses to Sakon, are they equal?

This is where your logic fails and mine wins actually. Sakura never fought Sakon. :p Thats the point. I'm not sure what that has anything to do with anything. Sakura is clearly weaker than Sasuke. My logic doesn't in anyway imply that if 2 character lose to the same opponent, they are on the same level. :huh

yet you say it like Sasuke lost while Kiba won. Your logic is horribly faulty

Thats not what I'm saying at all. I made sure to used the word survived multiple times. Sasuke got owned within seconds with CS1 while Kiba had to deal with CS2. Thats all I'm saying. The logic is flawless. And Sasuke owned Temari in seconds. Temari owned Tenten without effort.

Oh, and the Kankurou comparison is completely on point because Kankurou = completely long range fighter. And look what Shino did to him.

Look at the people by what they do and how they fight, not who they beat.

I'm well aware. I'm not sure where you got the idea of who they beat is no important, but Kankuro is def long range much like Tenten.

No way a 1 track mind is going to beat Shino. What are different non-explosive projectiles going to do against bugs taking the hits for Shino? Against replicas? The point is, kunais don't have any explosive power or versatility. Gaara doesn't have to move either because he has something to shield himself with. Shino's bugs even stopped Kankuro's rocket.

I really think they are just on totally different levels. So my answer to you would be what good is a piece of paper that can't cover the rock? Or a tiny scissor cutting through a really thick piece of paper?

But I really don't see how Shino is weak against long range so I'm not seeing the rock/paper/scissor analogy either. He snuck his bugs on 2 long range opponents without them even noticing. He is smart, can take a hit, thinks a move ahead, can defend and stays calm and collected. If throwing things really well was enough to make you a good ninja, Tenten would be acknowledged in some way, but she wasn't.

Last edited:

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
HimuraBattousai said:
You can't say Kiba was only scared because he is a close range fighter. He quotes specifically "He'll be alright. He is strong. Even I wouldn't want to fight him" And Naruto backs the statement after that fight with "Damn, was Shino really that strong?". Everyone is obviously impressed. TenTen definitely wasn't a competitor in the chuunin exam finals, while Shino deserved to be. I think the only person who should have made it who didn't is Rock Lee.

And Sasuke owned Temari in seconds. Temari owned Tenten without effort.

Oh, and the Kankurou comparison is completely on point because Kankurou = completely long range fighter. And look what Shino did to him

I'm well aware. I'm not sure where you got the idea of who they beat is no important, but Kankuro is def long range much like Tenten.

No way a 1 track mind is going to beat Shino. What are different non-explosive projectiles going to do against bugs taking the hits for Shino? Against replicas? The point is, kunais don't have any explosive power or versatility. Gaara doesn't have to move either because he has something to shield himself with. Shino's bugs even stopped Kankuro's rocket.

---

I really think they are just on totally different levels. So my answer to you would be what good is a piece of paper that can't cover the rock? Or a tiny scissor cutting through a really thick piece of paper?

But I really don't see how Shino is weak against long range so I'm not seeing the rock/paper/scissor analogy either. He snuck his bugs on 2 long range opponents without them even noticing. He is smart, can take a hit, thinks a move ahead, can defend and stays calm and collected. If throwing things really well was enough to make you a good ninja, Tenten would be acknowledged in some way, but she wasn't.
So you're saying Kiba didn't deserve to be in it even though he basically lost to a fart?

Sasuke actually took a little while to beat Temari. Temari happened to be able to blow away weapons. No matter how high a level Sasuke was, he couldn't beat her with throwing weapons.

As for comparing Tenten to Kankuro, Kankuro is a puppeteer, Tenten is a weapons master. They're all long distance fighters, so saying Shino beat Kankuro even though he's long range, then you're saying Shino can beat Shino because he's long range. They're totally different types of fighter. Distance is only a small factor in that that barely comes into play other than the fact that they must stay away from each other.

And its not that hard to throw kunai with exploding notes. Sakon threw 3 on a single one. It seems to me that the only reason she didnt do it against Temari was because she was afraid her wind attacks could blow it back.

And your answer to my paper rock scissors is still flawed. The question isn't the ability of the paper to beat the rock, its if a rock can beat even the smaller piece of paper.

I'm not saying he's weak at long distance. They both fight long distance. But her attacks are much faster and have a much stronger instantaneous effect which would win her the match.

Jeltz

Captain
This fight could go either way. Shino is the better ninja but he has no ultimate defence like the Neji, Gaara or Temari (in this specific case). Shino just has to survive long enough for his bugs to catch Tenten which would be very dependent on the terrain and how smart Tenten is.

debest

For those who chose Shino:
How would Shino win? In the case of the battle with the Sound, Shino won cuz he clogged up those airholes. For Kankuro, Shino won because the bugs ate all the chakra lines that he used to command the puppets.
But Shino can... suffocate Tenten by massing bugs? We haven't really seen a ultra powerful attack that can win battles.
Tenten on the other hand can just pummel Shino with tons of kunais and eventually Shino will be injured too bad.

And its not that hard to throw kunai with exploding notes.

Assumption. Tenten never has used an explosive note.

As for comparing Tenten to Kankuro, Kankuro is a puppeteer, Tenten is a weapons master. They're all long distance fighters, so saying Shino beat Kankuro even though he's long range, then you're saying Shino can beat Shino because he's long range.

I don't understand what you are saying, but what I am pointing out is that Shino isn't weak against long range fighters, so there is no rock/paper/scissor BS you are coming up with. Nothing suggests Shino would be weak against kunais.

But her attacks are much faster and have a much stronger instantaneous effect which would win her the match.

If one move with no versatility can win the match, then this isn't a ninja anime. But it is. So it won't.

Against Zaku, Shino won in a wide open room with no cover. Zaku is a long range fighter. Shino is clearly good at distracting his opponent, keeping them occupied. Clearly long range instantaneous attacks aren't enough. Especially in this case, when the attacks are non-destructive.

I can think of plenty of ways for Shino to beat Tenten:

-All kunai attacks will be nullified by bugs hanging out in front of him
-Shino can use cloning techniques to allow him to close in on his opponents
-Shino constantly thinks ahead and adapts to a situation, while TenTen has no versatility whatsoever
-TenTen has 1 form of attack and 1 form of attack only
-TenTen isn't Shikamaru, who can win using only 1 basic strategy due to being smart
-Shino's bugs do whatever he wants them to do
-Shino has proven himself intelligent and controlled

For Kankuro, Shino won because the bugs ate all the chakra lines that he used to command the puppets

Wrong. Shino won mostly because of the bug he cleverly placed on Kankuro, which ate Kankuro's chakra as well as ate the chakra lines to beat him.

So the stats? Shino is smarter, the progeny of his clan (as in, the future of his clan), and gets respect from the other ninjas. What does TenTen have? Nothing except throwing kunais and such.

Also, I don't understand why you are dismissing the fact that Shino is clearly in a bigger league than TenTen. They clearly aren't even on the same page. TenTen is good in comparison to Sakura and Ino at the time, but I have no doubt Naruto/Kiba/Shikamaru/Lee/Neji/Gaara/Sasuke/Shino would tool her. I don't care if she can throw kunais perfectly. She is just not on the same level as those guys are.

O

Oldboy

Don't worry, Shino will be easy on tenten since she is a hot chick. But no matter what shino ownage is inevitable. Tenten uses long range attacks, who said shino can't counter? Bugs surrounding the enemy ends the fight, no need for them to eat away tentes chakra. Also shino isn't bad in close combat . Does tente have any other jutsus than throwing knives and other stuff? Bug shield can counter those attacks.

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
We're not talking about the sand shield here, the bug shield first of all requires his conscious usage of bugs, and is not as impenetrable as the sand shield.

Why's he weak against Kunais? His attacks are too slow, Zaku's air pressure could've blown them away if he had 2 arms from the start, but since it was in a cast initally, shino had time to plug them, He has NO such advantage against Tenten. Its not even just kunais, her twin dragon attack throws everything from flails to scythes to shuriken, needles, and kunai. In less than a minute she can throw hundreds of them with deadly aim. Shino would have no time to block and would find it very hard to dodge. Anyone who's ever used throwing weapons in battle knows how to throw ahead of the opponent(like haku who managed to throw perfectly accurately a fake death needle on a moving, running Sasuke, it wasn't the type of needle, it was where he hit that faked the death)

Zaku's attacks are not long range on Tenten's level. All the attacks he used on Shino were when he was within a few feet of him. Kankuro barely missed Shino, and it is MUCH slower to move a puppet than it is to throw a weapon.

Shino gets respect because he's good FOR A ROOKIE. Tenten is still a year more experienced and you can't say she only uses one move. How many people in the preliminaries used more than one move? Kiba used Gatsuuga, Naruto used Kage Bunshin, Lee used Lotuses, Kankuro used his puppet once, Temari used her wind, and Neji used Jyuken.

Last edited:

warcraft

E-Married to Chibi_Sasuke2k5
Shino would defeat Ten-ten with great ease
Shino would defeat lods of people with great ease
Sasuke was the best in the their year right and Shino was 2nd but Sasuke tryed hard while i think Shino didn't try hard and easly be the best

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
Seems to me that anyone who is very mobile and can attack from a distance while keeping distance from his bugs would have a great advantage. Kankuro's weakness was that he stayed still. At the pace his bugs travel, Tenten would have no problem bombarding him with just hordes of weapons. Not to mention with her strings, she could probably set traps like Kidoumaru, if you notice, she uses them in several ways(to manipulate mirrors in the first exam, to redirect weapons in the preliminaries), so I don't see why trap laying would be out of the picture.

Like someone said earlier, he beat Zaku because of clogging holes, and Kankuro by cutting off his chakra strings. Tenten has no such weakness with her style of fighting. Theres nothing he can block or cut off that would stop her from attacking long enough to get enough bugs on her.

Last edited:

Insipidipity

Ignostic Buddhist
siewmei88 said:
of course shino....what is there to argue about?
um...first off, try reading the rest of the thread first, secondly, theres the fact that they're both about upper-midrange genin, one who's fast and experienced against one who's strategic but not much outside that department.

Lets look at it this way, Tenten lost to a Sound ninja who was her perfect counter. Shino almost died going all out to beat a Sound ninja who was his equal or lower in terms of skill.

Tenten's skill may not be on the level of Sasuke, Neji, Shikamaru, Naruto, Lee, or even Kiba, but she's definitely a match for Shino. Shino's bugs spread like molasses, while Tenten's weapons travel quickly and accurately and not to mention, in GREAT numbers. Bugs can't protect from her weapons because they're more suited for handling concussive or blunt weapons, not piercing ones. She lacks any weaknesses Shino can really exploit. Not to mention she is about twice as fast as him.

Using HimuraBattousai's logic, Tenten considers Lee to be the dropout and therefore the weakest, but still thought he was capable of handling the sound ninjas, meaning she could probably handle at least Dosu and Kin. Dosu brought Kabuto to his knees puking. Kabuto is on level with Kakashi. Kakashi is better than Sasuke, and Sasuke is ranked higher than Shino. Therefore, Tenten is clearly in a better league than Shino.

Kankuro only lost to Shino when he lost control of his puppet and therefore had no offensive capability and already lacked defensive capability. If the bugs didnt cut his chakra lines, the puppet would've posed enough of a threat for Shino to kill him. He would've been dead if the head stopped flying seconds before reaching him. Tenten doesn't have this weakness and has clearly both offensive and defensive capability.

Shino said he'd use all he had against Kankuro and clearly he didn't have an ultimate move like Tenten. Tenten is just as if not more versatile with her weapons as Shino is with his bugs. During the first chuunin exam, she combined the use of a mirror, kunai, and strings to help her and Lee cheat on the test, which is clearly more versatile than simply Shino once again using his bugs as always to gather information. Shino won the prelims because his opponent had his arms previously broken by CS2 Sasuke and wasn't even worth enough to save him from being a sacrifice for edo tensei. Tenten faced a fully capable Sand ninja who's fan could counter her weapons. No amount of versatility could've helped in that situation.

And I added in the first post the conditions to clarify any discrepancies about location.

Last edited:

Jeltz

Captain
I just have to correct one thing in your post. Shino didn't win his match because of that his opponent was damaged. he would have won it either way. His bugs blocked both of the arms. They would still have been blown up even if Sasuke hadn't damaged them earlier. Shino defeated him by surviving long enough for his bugs to enter Zaku's arms.

He could win in a similar way against Tenten, and Tenten can't use wind to blow his bugs away. She has to constantly keep moving or instantly kill Shino. She probably could manage to do that though. You have managed to convince me that Tenten would win over Shino, but I still say that he is the more useful ninja. Shino can use his bugs and intellegence to defeat enemies that other on his skill level can't defeat, but while he has strong attacks he also has weaknesses. His defence against ranged attacks isn't very good from what we have seen yet. But he is fearsome in close combat, and in battles where the opponent stand still and talk too much.

martryn

Dick in hand
I still think Shino is the clear winner. This is odd because in other threads I constantly preach that Tenten is not a bad ninja and is actually quite skilled. I think that Shino is more skilled, though. He is, in my humble opinion, a bad ass. He can direct his bugs by thought, yes, but they are living things, unlike sand, and can probably protect Shino just as well without much thought. You wouldn't think that a thin layer of sand would deflect a thrown kunai, but it does, and the same probably goes with Shino's bugs.

I think Shino has strategy on par with Shikamaru, and with the use of bug bunshins, could find a way to defeat Tenten. His little battle with Zaku was no indication of his skill level. Shino had the upper hand in the Kankurou fight the entire time, and would have come away without injury had it not been for the poison. And I find it slightly suspicious that Shino was deemed capable enough to be on a mission with his jounin level father at the time of the Sasuke rescue arc. I have no doubt that he would have been made a chuunin had the exam not been cancelled.

Top Bottom