1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Terminator reboot (directed by Tim Miller, November 22, 2019)

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by TetraVaal, Sep 21, 2017.

1. TetraVaal Living deliciously

James Cameron is directly involved. Both as a producer, and for story development. Josh Friedman, David Goyer, Charles Eglee, and Justin Rhodes, are all part of a creative team to help develop and flesh out the story to possibly run as a new trilogy.

The film is being directed by Tim Miller, known for directing 'Deadpool'--as well as being the founder of Blur Studios.

The film will retcon everything after Cameron's T2, ala, similar to what Neill Blomkamp was going to do with his Alien film, and following directly after Cameron's 'Aliens.'

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton will both be returning. No word yet if Arnold will actually play a Terminator this time around, but Linda will be returning in the role of Sarah Connor.

The film is currently beginning to line up castings for new, younger characters, that will drive the new film and potential trilogy. So, don't count on Emilia Clarke or Jai Courtney returning (thank God).

I know the general consensus on this will be, why not just let it die? And, following the results of T3, Salvation, and 'Genysis'--I would be inclined to agree.

HOWEVER, with James Cameron being directly involved, and Terminator always being his baby, as well as the fact that Tim Miller is a very capable filmmaker, who for whatever reason, was overlooked for the success of 'Deadpool', at least instills hope that this could actually right the ship, and give fans a sense of closure following the greatness of T2.

Tags:
  2. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
  3. White Wolf Retired Staff

and so on...

---

Personally don't really care haven't even watched Genisys yet :hm but might check it out some day.

4. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    :U

5. Zombie GRIMMM The Black Empire

This could potentially save the franchise. It's been badly beaten and abused by Hollywood in more recent times.

Hopeful but not enough to keep me from having a lot of doubt.

Linda Hamilton though.

:bury

6. God أفضل صديق هو العودة

Flag:
    South Korea, United States
    Isn't Linda over 60 now? That aside, not even being paid can hide Camerons disappointment over the past deluge of horrid sequels his franchise received in the past decade-and-a-half. Esp if they're essentially ignoring Genisys' attempt to reboot the franchise hard

7. Mider T VM Rapist

I was looking for this thread yesterday to post about Linda, didn't realize it hadn't been made yet.

8. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Linda coming back sounds like a dumb idea imo. How does Elderly Sarah Conner make sense? :hm

9. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Because Terminator 3 and up are being retconned, although I suspect that she won't have a major role.

I have hope that Cameron and Miller can save the franchise, but it should be noted that Cameron sucked the dicks of Terminator 3, Salvation and Genysis, only turning on them once the fans did. I'm not sure if he genuinely liked them or if he had just sold out and lied. Also, Cameron as producer isn't a guarantee of success. Does anyone remember "Sanctum"?

10. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    It said in one of the links that Cameron said that if there are "few" female action heroes, there are "NO" female action heroes older than ~40. So he thinks bringing Hamilton back is kind of a progressive move against age discrimination.

She turns 61 next week.

If the movie is set in present day, which it'd have to be to account for Hamilton's age, John Connor would have to be about 32 since he's likely born in 1985; within 9 months of the first movie.

While fans would probably like to see Edward Furlong (40) reprise the role from T2, he was in trouble with the law for drug abuse and domestic violence as recently as 2013, so unless he's really cleaned up his act they'll probably recast the role like they did for T3 (for the same reasons).

11. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

They should cast Steven Seagal as John Connor.

12. Mider T VM Rapist

Linda Hamilton is a Libra?

13. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

I dunno..I always liked the fact that Sarah played a role in mentoring her son for the coming apocalypse, and bowing out leaving everything to him once the time came. That might be the key component of her character and they're ruining it to prove a point.:notrust

14. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Lol, preferably they cast a guy who is in his early 30's and -you know- kind of looks like Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. If they care enough about realism.

Quick Wiki says Biehn actually has two real-life twin sons born in 1984! Meaning... I guess his wife was pregnant when he shot the sex scene with Hamilton? The wonders of actor life...

Hamilton also has a son born in 1989.

Not sure if any of them have any acting ability though.

15. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    No, they're bringing Hamilton back because the last three Terminator films have been disappointments/disasters, and they think reuniting more of the original cast will get more nerds to go see the next one. So they get more $$$.

But Cameron doesn't want to say that, because it sounds too cynical and manipulative. So instead we get "cougar empowerment!"

16. God أفضل صديق هو العودة

Flag:
    T3 was more uninspired/a rehash than truly terrible, 4 and 5 were terminal AIDS though.

17. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Cameron has been told for years that he is the only one who can save the franchise. Fans begged him to direct another. His name alone would have sufficed. Raiding nursing homes for washed up acts wasn't necessary imo .

18. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    I liked Salvation to be honest. I thought it was a fresh take on the Terminator universe, since you can only do so many "run from the killer cyborg in present day" stories before it gets stale.

Better to do it Aliens style and make a film of arguably a different genre but set in the same universe.

19. Mider T VM Rapist

20. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Would you disqualify Schwarzenegger on account of his age (70) as well?

21. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I just hope this isn't one big nostalgia circle jerk.

22. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Yeah. Schwarzenegger was ridiculed a ton for his age in the last film.

23. God أفضل صديق هو العودة

Flag:
    I mean all of the films definitely have PIS (one egregious offense being T-1000 not killing Sarah on sight in that factory despite being able to shapeshift), but the 4th one was even worse in that regard because of Skynet's incompetence in giving Marcus nearly uninhibited free will instead of just taking him over to kill John immediately. It was still a lot better than Genisys though.

24. Imagine

I'd like them to just stop. 3,4, and 5 have pissed on the franchise enough. This reboot will probably be just filled with callbacks to the original and more terrible CGI.

Just let it die. :defeat

25. Shiba D. Inu #admiralgang

:defeat

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Lewd Lewd x 1
    • List
  26. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Genysis is the only one I can say I really disliked. To me, it was a nostalgia circle jerk that didn't seem to understand why the first 2 films worked so well, a combination that infuriates me. I don't give a shit if the characters are wearing the exact same shoes as they did in the first film, especially if you're going to get these characters all wrong.

"Salvation" was just mediocre to me, while I remember thinking "Terminator 3" was decent, but underwhelming. I haven't seen that one since it came out though, so I might change my mind if I revisit them.

27. God أفضل صديق هو العودة

Flag:
    I honestly didn't even watch Genisys except for the first 10 minutes and CinemaSins' review

28. butcher50 Well-Known Member

One thing i like about T4:Salvation is the seriousness of tone, sure it was brought down to the PG13 rating and has plenty of other flaws but at least the dumb jokes/dark comedy of Rise of the Machines (until the last 15 minutes) and Genisys are absent in Salvation.

hopefully Cameron will make it R rated and without the dumb jokes.

IMO the first 20/30 minutes of Genisys are pretty watchable however once the make-shift/hobo parts time travel machine is introduced into the plot, the movie goes downhill from there and never recovers, Arnold apparently just can't resist doing something comical all the time without Cameron to reign him in.

also thanks to the PG13 rating, the two main "human" hero characters are basically invincible, as tough as machines themselves, Sarah and Kyle go through stuff that should have either permanently crippled them or killed them towards the end of the movie.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  29. Suigetsu Fantastiche

30. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    I didn't mind it at all, since it was made into a plot point.