1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

The 2006 midterm elections, who will win?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by narutokun15, Oct 5, 2006.

Who will win the federal miderm elections of 2006?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2006.
  1. Democrats will take both the House and the Senate

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Democrats will take the House but not the Senate

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Democrats will take the Senate but not the House

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Republicans will keep both the House and the Senate

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Don't care, I really don't pay attention to politics

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. narutokun15 Going in & out, like sex!

Read this first line carefully: "This is a question on who you think will take over or keep what this November, not who you agree or approve of more!" With all the scandals going on in Washington, an unusally low approval rating for the president, and disgust w/ how the federal government handeled Katrinia, there is a great deal of talk about the upcoming midterm elections.

Alot of people feel that the Democrats will make gains and possibly take back the House and the Senate! Some, however feel that the Democrats are ill prepared and don't have a message to do this. A lot more suggest that the Democrats can (and will) take back the House, but not the Senate because they have more senate seats to defend and only 15 Republican seats they can take, but still agree that the Democrats can gain seats this November, but still not take over!

Once again, this s a question on who you think will take over or keep what this November, not who you agree or approve of more! So if you are a Republican who thinks that the Democrats will take over or a Democrat who think that the Republicans will keep power, than you can vote for those options! Just who you think will win, not if you are a Democrat or Republican or want to see who in charge!

The poll will close the day after the election, so none can cheat and guess who the winners will be, after they've been decided! Oops, looks like I made it a day later than I wanted it to be, so it looks like I have to ask you, Please NO VOTING AFTER THE OFFICAL ELECTION RESULTS ARE IN!!! Thank you.

Tags:
  2. Toby <b>Detective Dollars</b>

I think it's hard to say as the winner will most likely face a fall-back against the national elections. But my vote lies with the republicans, despite their loss of popularity, as there are more of them who didn't vote last time.

3. Saufsoldat POOP TRAIN CONDUCTOR

I'm not an American citizen but those Republicans went to far with their middle-east domination tour.

4. That NOS Guy The Pilot Who Lives by Pride

I think the Dems can actually win the house, but they'll come up ever so short (something like picking up 2-3 sears and narrowing the margin) in the Senate races.

Of course, the one I'm interested is in the house races. The house is vastly important right now for the simple fact that it has the responsibility for purse strings, and when the Bush administratio needs money to fight a war the Dems don't like things could get .... interesting to say the least.

5. Noodle Smash Brother

I think that's its difficult to say. While i'm interested in politics, i'm not sure that i'm informed enough about the practicalities (i'm more into debating abstractions) to provide an educated guess. That said, I think that in many places "Republican" has become a dirty word, but at the same time, I think that may be mostly due to Bush (as to the merit off Bush-bashing, i'll address that at some other point possibly), but on a local level, party affiliation may not be as important. I wouldn't be surprised no matter what the outcome, but I have a feeling that Democrats will take either the house or the senate, to try and balance out the political power in the country.

6. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

I don't expect a major power shift like many in the U.S. are saying (usually democrats). Incumbent representatives regardless of party have an enormous change of being reelected. According to my political science professor, that chance is 98%. In the senate it's 88%.

Then again, the recent fuck ups in Iraq and corruption the media keeps bringing up around the Republican party may create a Democratic resurgence.

7. Kiba_Luvr Doing It Doggy Style!

I think almost 100% sure the Democrats will take the House. The Senate is much trickier. The democrats will win Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Montana and Ohio for sure. The most vulnerable democrat is Senator Bob Menendez in New Jersey, but he's on the rebound against Tom Kean Jr. out there and New Jersey is just not going to elect a bush republican in this year. The democrats have all but won Tennessee, I cannot see Ford losing to Corker who has completely self-destructed. That leaves Missouri and Virginia. Virginia still has George Allen in the lead and they need to defeat him or Jim Talent. Talent is much more vulnerable in Missouri but this is a very tough race and its going to be close, there is no clear favorite in Missouri right now but I think the Dems will win simply because Talent has everything right now going against him. The fact Talent refuses to take a stand on Minimum Wage is going to cost him dearly, the other problem is talent's Opposition to Stem Cell Research which is going to hurt him, the Mark Foley scandal is going to hurt talent even though he had nothing to do with it. Plus the fact that the Republicans are hurting nationwide is going to be a major factor.

In Virginia, I think Allen is looking more and more like he will lose. Arizona is going to be kept in the Kyl column unless Jim Pederson makes a dramatic comeback. Nevada is all but safe for the GOP.

8. SundanceChile Wandering Composer

With so much scandal on both sides, it's really up in the air for me.

9. Lord of Mikawa Slow dance with the

The Dems will win not because they are the better party, but because people are fed up with the Republicans.

10. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Looking at what seats are up, I actually expect the Dems to lose a couple seats in the Senate.

The House is messier... Could go in either direction. If I had to put money on the line I'd say I'd expect things to slide towards the Dems, but I don't know if it would be enough for them to get a majority.

11. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

I would like to see the Dems win the House and the Senate, but going by their campaigns in the past few years I doubt that will happen. They don't seem as aggressive in getting their message out as Republicans.

12. Itachi Incarnate Wanderer in life.

Thats entirely possible, though I do not know enough about the matter to make an educated opinion. People are fed up with the Republicans, but there are some people who are still fanatical to their party. So lets see what happens.

(btw, where do you get those anti-drug sigs? I saw one for Gai, Temari, and now Orochimaru, who makes those? I WANT ONE! PM the info!!! :cry )

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  13. ez Jesus Christ

i'm hoping democrats take it even though i'm not a voter. I dispise republicans and pretty much conservatives in general.

14. The Space Cowboy Unfair, Unjust, Human

Meh...The Democrats will probably take one house.

15. kelleh Crotchety old bat

Like?

Personally, I think it's hard to say. Each race is so individualized (as they should be) and there are different issues up for grabs depending on the region and what politicians like to dredge up and emphasize. I'd predict at least a small majority for the Democrats in the Senate, though, and some kind of larger gain in the House.

Here in Pennsylvania, I have no doubt Santorum will be out on his ass come November, and our Democratic challenger will hopefully bring a level head to the playing field. And that's really the vote I'm looking forward to casting.