1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

The 24 hours that changed Brexit: What just happened?

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Death Certificate, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Death Certificate Well-Known Member

The last 24 hours will have huge implications for , with major news from the House of Commons and the European Court of Justice that will shape what happens to Britain in the coming months.

Here’s a rundown of everything that happened, and what it means for Brexit – and the vote next week on ’s deal.

Tags:
  2. ~M~ Do it for her

The British always keep things interesting, must be that dry wit

3. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Yeha these events are amazing and coming in such a frequency that it really feels like we are watching a thriller. I am wondering what the released statement regarding Brexit holds, and how it affects the vote over the deal at the 11th.

4. Dragon D. Luffy of the Stars

I am worried another country might overtake Brazil as the dumbest political system in the world.

5. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves just yet :cat

6. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

7. Skaddix Well-Known Member

So wait the European Court saying Britain be like fuck it we made a mistake guys let us back in....

I have been distracted by the France but shit we need to get impressions from our UK Posters.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 3:05 AM
  8. Gunners .

Great, now they just need to spin things as the EU wanting them out so that they no longer have power/influence.

Get people to think remaining is a sign of defiance.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Skaddix Well-Known Member

10. Pliskin Well-Known Member

I am literally afraid of this happening. The EU legal comment regarding article 50 made me pretty salty.

11. stream Do something, Naruto!

One way or another, there's going to be delicious salty tears. I think I'm going to run out of popcorn.

12. GRIMMM Master of Fright

13. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Wonder if that will catch on steam after Mays deal will fall through parliament tomorrow.

Even if they somehow do a last ditch effort to cancel the exit, they have massively lost influence in the union.

Imagine new european projects and them being against the proposal. What will the other leaders say?

"Oh what will you do? Leave? Oh wait, you failed that already, Sucka."

14. stream Do something, Naruto!

It's a question of strategy. The three possibilities are a no-deal Brexit, Theresa May's deal Brexit, or staying in the EU. Among the MPs voting tomorrow, none of the possibilities have a majority.

Before, when people thought staying in the EU was essentially impossible, then all the remainers were going to vote for TM's deal, because it was better than the alternative (a no-deal Brexit). So it had a good chance of being accepted.

But now, if push comes to shove and TM's deal is rejected, it might well come to the point where the MPs have to choose between a no-deal Brexit and another solution (Staying? New referendum?), and in that situation they will likely refuse a no-deal Brexit. So by this point, remainers might well vote against TM's deal, because if it's rejected they have a good chance of getting something better.

On the other hand, the hardliners who want a no-deal Brexit would have completely rejected TM's deal before, because they thought if nothing gets support, a no-deal Brexit was going to happen by default. Now, they might decide to vote for TM's deal, because if it's rejected the UK might end up staying in the EU.

Needless to say, no matter what happens at this time is going to be utterly humiliating for the UK. :maybe

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Skaddix Well-Known Member

16. Gunners .

17. Skaddix Well-Known Member

So when do the results of the Vote come out it happens today right? And the UK is 6 Hours ahead of me.

18. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

A visual depiction of UK pondering its options right now:

19. Roman Emperor

Lol. Looks like these past 2.5 years have been a literal clown circus event in parliament. All of it amounted to absolutely nothing.

20. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

This is why you never let plebs directly vote on big issues like this, their too misinformed too easily manipulated, and too busy with their own lives to know the importance of trading routes this is why we have representatives to learn and study this shit.

Slavery in the united states would not have passed if it was directly voted on by the people nor would women's right to vote, or civil rights

21. Kroczilla Well-Known Member

Which would be pretty much "mission accomplished" for Europe. If even Britain with its strong economy can be so thoroughly humiliated, who the fuck in their reasonable mind would ever seriously attempt any form of "EUROXIT"?

22. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    Nah you cant say that.

Seriously.
    Democracy is power on people. The legitimacy or nation is from people.they have right to decide what the govt will do. Even if it is bring everyone jump to the cliff

23. GRIMMM Master of Fright

Jeremy Hunt earlier today said "cancelling brexit isn't an option", after the court ruling. We'll see how that pans out tomorrow though.

24. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Only a united Europe is a strong Europe.

I dont care if it means individual Nations having to realize their insignificance in the grand scheme of things - if in the end all get behind the idea of a united, strong Europe I think its worth it.

25. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

Mlk was hated by 60% of the country when he got shot
    People in the north didnt want freed blackmen taking jobs away from them
    And the me too movement and the lack of CEOs that are female should show you that women are still having a hard time

26. Hozukimaru &#32

Well they didn't leave yet. They just gave a notification about leaving in the future, they can take that back.

Although my personal experience would tend to agree with this, I don't think it's true. We have examples like Switzerland that disprove this "complex issues and uninformed voters" theory. It's the system that determines how informed and engaged the population is.

There have been successful referendums against slavery or in favor of women's right to vote around the world, including some US states. Public opinion often proves itself much more connected to the real issues that state bureaucrats.

Brexit brings uncertainty. The UK can thrive outside or inside the EU. It certainly has more flexibility outside the EU, it can trade more openly with the world and have a more adaptable immigration policy. Overall it has greater potential for success. At the same time, it has greater potential for failure. There is no outside force to ensure its future path, it could close its borders and hold its breath and the EU wouldn't have a say on this.

In the end events can be interpreted differently and often have an unclear cause. Brexit is not good or bad, it's what you make of it.

27. GRIMMM Master of Fright

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sad! Sad! x 1
    • List
  28. Roman Emperor

:rengescust

29. Skaddix Well-Known Member

Ah May Freezed, didn't have the votes. I seriously doubt delaying is going to help her on that front.

30. GRIMMM Master of Fright

It gets funnier. Prominent brexiters are betting against the pound to make money after moving operations to ROI.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM