1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

The Ask NJT Thread!

Discussion in 'Translations' started by njt, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njt Can I get an ossu?!

OK~~ I like to help with translations and I have good views on life and stuff.... so ask me about Translations(that you think are a bit iffy) and life(sometimes you need a new view) and stuff like that... yeah, I'll try to get back to you in a timely manner.
    Also please note, I don't have it out for any translator. I mean, the more we understand of the chapter... the better we end up... right? So in the end... everyone wins. So be gentle.... :thumbs

Examples of translations I have been asked about before are...

Check it out! which is an important thread and....

A Pm I have received before....

===begin PM===
    haha no problem and good calls. I would eventually get to these chapters, seeing as I'm going through and re-translating the inane chapters to see if they got em right. But yeah, I don't mind doing them in advance.

As for the first chapter, I have it done by Knives... is that what you have? I checked the downloads at Narutofan.com and it's the same one they have so I'm guessing it's the same.

Anyways... off to the corrections~

Chapter 158. Knives did a very good job, I just thought some places should be changed a tad bit, but for the most part correct.

フン・・・
    ジライヤ
    umm....
    Jiraiya...

この子は前の弟子と違って少々口も頭もおまけに顔まで悪いようだね。
    It seems that this boy is worse than him(your previous apprentice) in terms of speech, intelligence, and to top it off, looks.

四代目と比べられりゃ誰だってキツイだろーよ
    When comparing against the 4th, anyone would have a hard time.

なんせ あやつは忍びとしての器は歴代一だった。
    Anyways, He was the greatest Shinobi in all of history....

術の才に溢れ頭脳明晰・・・人望に満ち
    Full of talent, clear headed... very popular.

まぁ・・・ワシ並みに男前だったしのォ
    and well, handsome like me too.

・・・だが
    その四代目ですらすぐ死んだ・・・
    ... But....
    Even the 4th died quickly.

On chapter 217, Inane didn't quite get who was talking, good catch. It should go like this....

オロチマルの洗脳か・・・
    虚しい奴だ
    Orochimaru's brainwashing eh...
    You've got no soul.

大技を使い過ぎたな・・・
    チャクラもそう無い・・・
    I've used too many big attacks(high chakra depleting attacks)
    これで最後だ
    This is my last chance(shot/jutsu etc)!

There ya go. Let me know if you want anything else cleared up.

===end PM===

Questions like that, stating where and what you are having a question about is appreciated ;)

Tags:
  2. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

YES! Three cheers for trendwhorism.

I hope you don't mind if I ask some translation questions, because that is what you're known for.

1. Is manga written mostly in Hiragana, Katakana, or Kanji?
    2. Was written Japanese hard to learn? Or rather, HOW hard was it to learn?
    3. What do you do in Japan?

3. njt Can I get an ossu?!

Haha, that's the whole point of this thread ;)

anyways- here I go.

1. Depending on the manga it can vary. So~~~ here's a definition of the thre styles.
    Hiraganaひらがな, squiggly lines that make up most of any manga. Particles and conjugation are made up of these wonderful little things.

Katakanaカタカナ, Used for borrowed words or names, or really strange dialects, or well for made up words. Like, for example, my name would be written in Katakana, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Japanese people can't have their name in Katakana either. My grandma-in-law's name is in Katakana.

Kanji漢字. Those things every gaijin (foreigner) fears. Luckily for easy manga like Naruto, or things found in Jump, they have something above them called furigana. That is generally hiragana over the kanji so you know how to read it. Katakana also appears but is much more rare. An example how the manga Naruto sometimes does kanji is like in the previous chapters, they will have a kanji 弟 which is little brother, and in katakana above it have the word ガアラ in katakana. meaning that Gaara is the little brother. So it's important to be able to read at least lower level kanji because they sometimes like to make what they are saying a bit clearer that way.

There are two kinds of manga, well other variations are also out there, but Naruto is a shonen(little kid's manga). Manga like Tenjyou tenge(I translate this too) would be considered a seinen(adultish manga) due to reasons like brief nudity, sexual situations and all that jazz ;).
    Seinen manga is also loved for it's Lack of furigana, which makes beginner translators all squirm with happiness, and headaches as they try to and try being the key word, to read the manga without the help of a kanji dictionary.

2. Learning how to write japanese is a whole new ball game. Many japanese people suffer from a thing called word pro baka, which is taken from word-processor baka. In other words, they can read and write stuff on a computer, but when it comes to writing it.... they draw a blank. It's becoming more and more common because of their cell phones and the all their assingments having to be typed up and not written. But alas that is life.
    How am I getting over it? Well I have a nice PDA that I use to practice writing. I use a program called King Kanji, that checks your stroke order as you write the Kanji. It's very nice and I recommend it to anyone that has a pda to try it. A pc version is also out, but unless you have an electronic pen, I don't recommend it. Kanji gold is another program that is very good in helping you remember kanji. Give it a try. It's free.

3. I'm an English teacher :eek:. Yeah, but I've been here too long, and don't speak enough english that well... my english is going blah- So yeah, not the best teacher, but in comparison to a Japanese teacher I stand out very well :). I also Teach Japanese which you can find out at my site. So yeah, even you can learn a tad(ok a bit more than that but....) with a 1337 Japanese teacher ;).

Hope I answered the questions well enough.

I moved to Japan in May of 2003. In two months marks my 2nd year :).

Yeah I'm married, got married in July in 2003.
    I'm American, from Utah. Yeah, I'm mormon but don't practice regularly... but still somewhat religous....
    But I lived all over America went to well over 17 different schools. Why? because I used to live in motels and my parents got kicked out of them because of domestic violence, so I did the whole motel to trailer park, then to a house where my room was a closet, then to a real room, then to an apartment then back to sharing rooms with one of my 4 sisters(I have 7 in total) and yeah- due to various reasons had to go all over america/utah because of one lame reason or other.

I plan on staying in Japan for another year (depending if I have enough money to continue my college education) perhaps longer... Only time will tell.

Any more?

4. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Can you explain basically how the on-yomi work, and why?

I'm confuzzled. :confused:

5. njt Can I get an ossu?!

I would love to go into detail as in my ideas of how it works, but here is a site that explains it much better than I could....

if you want me to give it a brief break down I can....

The on'yomi (音読み ) of a kanji (also called its on reading or Chinese reading) is based on the Japanese approximation of the original Chinese pronunciation of the character at the time it was introduced.

The kun'yomi (訓読み ) of a kanji (also called its kun reading, Japanese reading, or somewhat misleadingly its native reading) is a reading based on the pronunciation of a native Japanese word,

6. Masaki Mugiwara Kaizoku

Since when did we have an admin named NJT?

And where have I been all this time? I'm finding a new mod/smod/admins every week.

7. njt Can I get an ossu?!

haha, I've been admin for a while now....

And yeah, I guess this forum is expanding, so much new muscle is needed ;)

8. KupoExMachina I am Kupo101.

I have never seen you before in my (NF) life. WTH is that in your avatar? Its scaring me...

9. Shunsui Think. Supporting Staff

he was adminned for PM space and for being friends with tazmo...

though i have absolute trust in his admin abilities ^^

10. Arcanis Sticky Fingers

w00t! i'll be asking you for some translations later =D

What's the best way to start learning Kanji, Hiragana and all that, by myself? i know quite a bit of japanese but only romanji :(

11. njt Can I get an ossu?!

well, seeing that you are pretty new, and you probably don't hang around the areas that I do... then it makes sense that you haven't seen me before.

As for my avatar, it's Dan hibiki. Giving the nice guy pose.... fear it or love it, just know... that it pwnz you. :thumbs

Thanks I'll try not to let you down ;)

Best way to learn Kanji is practice, and repetition...
    Use Kanji gold (google it)for the repetition. For practice try chatting with people, or reading. There is a saying if you read 1million words of a foreign language (in use, not just vocab lists) that you can become close to or pretty much native in that language. I think it's true- but probably haven't read 1million words yet, but heck- wasn't counting ;).

Hiragana just cram it in, keep up with the japanese though and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

12. mongooseboi :]

13. njt Can I get an ossu?!

haha thanks. I've been an active Narutofan'er for a long time, it just wasn't until recent that I actually joined to forum. Great to be here :).

14. Jiraiya しゃんなろ! / aka Terramare

How long did it take you to learn Japanese, and if you've only lived in japan for less that 2 years, then did you learn japanese from before you moved there?

15. njt Can I get an ossu?!

I started learning Japanese about 6 years ago. Had a cool teacher for my first year of Japanese, but the second year she moved away to get more education and we got stuck with a lame teacher, that well... didn't know how to teach... anyways- It was pure self study from there. I bought every teach yourself book I could get my hands on as well as took advantage of the tourists that visted my area. (lots of japanese people around) So it was nice- and I got to speak a lot of japanese. To help in my conversations I would take note cards and would write down things I wanted to say. To save on space in my back pocket I would write really small, and things that were of importance. When I saw a Japanese person I would go up to them, and do a joke in japanese, if they were japanese they would laugh and that's how I started the conversation. I would talk until I couldn't say what I wanted to, and when that happend I would remember what I wanted to say, and try looking it up later.

Because of all that I think I progressed really fast. But there comes a point where you decide that you are fluent and well, it's hard to progress after that. So that's why I'm using translating to take me up even more levels. Being fluent in one language is one thing, being able to accurately translate back and forth is a completely different story. So. that's what I'm doing~ helping you guys, by helping myself...so in short we both win ;).

ah- and here's a site that I used in my beginning stages of learning I actually visited this site before it was an actual domain, it started as one of those geo city sites... yeah- that was the day ;)

16. Nehir Acemi ghost

what should I do to see those ????? the japanese letters :blink
    (I selected japanese character encoding but it didn't work)

Thanks for the link :wink

17. njt Can I get an ossu?!

Try the instructions on this site, and hopefully it'll work for ya :).

Reiko, the Shadow Fox

18. Sayo The Hedgehog

19. njt Can I get an ossu?!

Ummm wasn't really all of a sudden, I've been here for quite a while, just never to the forums... did lots of outside the forum work...
    The reason I came was lots of people had their translations up here, and I just wanted to help correct some of the mistakes~.
    Sorry I didn't make a huge glorious entrance, but I'm slowly making my rounds around here ;)

20. MechaTC Mike, The Genius Penguin

How do you feel about the american manga company's translations? For instance...I'm reading Ai Yori Aoshi translated by Tokyopop now, among other manga. Am I missing out on anything by not reading a web translation?

21. njt Can I get an ossu?!

I honestly don't know. All I have heard is bad things about viz and their Naruto translation. I have been in Japan for 2 years, and near the end of my first year I started watching Naruto. From there my interest in Japanese manga/anime grew. So I'm really a noob when it comes to anything regarding manga and how it goes since I've only had a year experience with it.

So---- unless you know Japanese it's kinda hard to really know if you're missing out on anything in the translation. But I'm guessing they are doing a good job. Unless they are trying to americanize it so that it loses it's soul...

But heck I think you should support the authors, not the american companies. Learn japanese and buy the real manga- :p

But yeah, that's just my prospective :)

22. lucky Wants the Custom Title.

was japanese your first language? If not, how long did it take for you to become fluent in it? Er... or pretty fluent.

props for all your good work at translations btw...

23. njt Can I get an ossu?!

Nah, Japanese isn't my first language, and it took about 2 years to be able to say whatever I want to say....
    so--- been advancing ever since then :).

oh, and thanks for the comment :D.

24. pajamas Banned

why does it seem I was the only one who realized your existence as an admin?

(I often look at the forum leaders thing and would always think, what does NJT do?)

25. Masaki Mugiwara Kaizoku

You seem to have a more serious attitude than the other admins and the smods. Is this true?

26. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Do you ever feel you rushed too fast into life? 20 is pretty young to have a baby girl. And you're making me and occa feel old and unaccomplished. :p

I feel I'm taking things too slowly at times. But, you can't rush love I guess. And I've got a decade to go before I can start my career. It's depressing sometimes.

27. njt Can I get an ossu?!

hmmm I do a lot of side work for Taz, like when something new and cool comes out in Japanese and he needs a translation for it, I normally help him out with it.
    Like stated above, I got the job for extra pm storage... and yeah- just making ummm doing what I can when I can :p.

Hmmm, while my time is limited, I work 40+ (lately around 50 hours) per week, plus teach japanese on my spare time, have a baby and family to "play" with and stuff to translate. My time is very limited, but I try to have a fun time when I can... But generally stick only to the translation / theory threads so that I can check those translations and help those, that are forming theories on mistranslated japanese....

But---- I do mindless post sometimes, just don't really have that much time to do it...

Er, not really. At first I thought WTH was I going to do... but then yeah- I thought(and follow this to the T) that "everything happens for a reason" and so I just followed it out. Turns out, that me being married and having a baby so early was one of the best things I have done. I've got to stay in Japan for a lot longer than say, I wasn't married. That and, in the past year, both my mom and dad passed away, 5 months apart from eachother. (my mother of lung cancer due to smoking 2packs of smokes a day) and my father, from well... long story, and better summed up as an accident. So my mom got to see my wife and kid before she passed away, and the same with my father. so I think it worked out quite well. and so am happy with the way things are happening.

28. Arcanis Sticky Fingers

In ch216 pg08, after Lee is hit by Kimimaro's tail, he says "his metamorfosis...his body has not fully adapted...changing has slowed him down..."

Is that really what he says? because some people in the forums are saying that was a mistranslation and that Kimi CSL2 is as fast or faster than before :S

29. njt Can I get an ossu?!

oh yeah- I dunno where Inane got their translation, but anyways it's way off. Lee was talking about himself... the correct trans goes...

216 page 8/naruto24 156.

まだ・・・体が・・・
    My body... is still....

これじゃかえって
    足手まといだ
    Like this, all I'm doing is getting in the way.

邪魔な砂だ・・・
    Annoying sand, (lit would be more like "your sand keeps getting in the way)

まずはお前だ・・・ガアラ
    I'll take of your first...

これじゃ like this
    かえって changes to (he was trying to help, but him trying actually changes into 足手まとい )
    足手まとい in the way
    だ is

30. TenshiOni Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.