1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

The best and worst power ups in Shounen

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Skilatry, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Skilatry Well-Known Member

Tags:
  2. Kellogem Well-Known Member

The worst: everything giving a character an all around strength / durability / speed boost while not changing his fighting style or at least giving new techniques or utilization of powers. I hate that shit..

The best: the opposite of what the worst do (lazy to type it out).. example.. I liked Yosihna Agehas full body Melchsee's Door thing

Or Allen Walkers innocence powerups - Crown Clown, the one when he started to use his arm as a a sword..etc.

Tyki Mikks noah awakening was pretty awesome too.. though it gave him strength boost, but it looked sick and gave him a different fighting style.

3. Brian           

Yusuke's cause it resulted in the best beat down ever

4. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

I really hate Mid fight powerups its such a bad cliche in animes that usually removes the need for skill or strategy in a good fight and just replaces it with overwhelming the other person with temporary power to win. I think When Luffy first went Gear 2 that was a really hype moment though, I at least appreciate the fact it wasn't a mid fight power up, Luffy allued that he had new abilites to show off before he used it. Ontop of that Luffy could have won the fight without it he only used it to introduce it to the audience, which is alot better than him a**pulling it.:hiro:hiro

The worst powerups Ive seen..guh their are aloot I dont like, but its a tie between..Akames fight in the anime Akame ga Kill. She had a sword that steals the soul of anyone who it cuts and its STATED clearly in the begining that even Akame would die if she got cut with it so she has to be careful while cleaning it, then all of a sudden in the final fight at the end of the series Akame just cuts herself with it on purpose and "absorbs all the power of the souls its stolen" and become super wtf OP from it inexpicabley. Theirs no explination of why it did that and didn't just kill her liek it was suppost to, or how she knew it would happen. :laugh:laugh

The other worst one i've seen is in Pokemon, Ash was doing a double battle against one of the gym leaders and he had Pikachu and Swellow, then he was like "Okay Pikachu hop onto the bird's back and use thunderbolt on it!" and then he does, and rather than the lightning Hurting the bird and instantly KOing it because its SUPER effective against flying types. It ACTUALLY gives the Bird a Golden Electric Aura and gives Swellow super Saiyan then it one shots the gym leaders pokemon!! :rotfl:rotfl

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

One of the best powerups for me is super saiya-jin in Dragon ball, because it is one of the most iconic powerup not only in shonen manga, but in all of fiction.

However, from the very same series, there were numerous powerups that I did not like, at all; first, super saiya-jin three appeared with no foreshadowing at all, and, unlike the previous forms of super saiya-jin, it was achieved merely through training, not through extreme emotional states. Then, later in the same arc, whenever it seemed that the heroes were about to defeat Majin Boo, he continually revealed new powers simply to keep the story going. Also, I am not certain if they can be considered as powerups, but both the fusion dance and potara earrings were revealed with no foreshadowing, at all, either. Later, in Dragon Ball Super, Freeza was revealed to suddenly have massive growth potential that he had never been hinted to have, before.

In Naruto, the Sharingan was an interesting concept, but its users too often revealed new abilities whenever doing so was convenient to the plot, with Itachi being the worst offender in that regard.

6. Canute87 Nuke Imminent

Worst powerup - Mangekyou Sharingan.

7. B Rabbit OL's Best

I liked Gears because its iconic to me and really only for Luffy.

Sharingon was ok but to...gary sue fot me.

My second favorite powerup moment is when Ichigo went Bankai vs Byakuya.

8. WorldsStrongest Padoru

Canada
    Bankai and Shikai are pretty great due to the fact that each one is incredibly unique. Really cool concept, not that they are all winners tho.

You cant hate on Super Saiyan...I also liked Kaioken before Goku was able to spam the fuck out of it.

One of the worst power ups i can name would have to be Erzas armors...Bitch literally has a plot suit for everything.
    Woulda been cooler if Ichigos Bankai didnt suck and wasnt so horribly bland :raisigh

Rather than a Katana, Kubo should have just had Ichigo swing around a literal stat stick...Woulda been more accurate.

9. Sweetcorn ...dame dane dame yo dame na no yo OoOooOoOO~

Worst: Super Saiyan Blue

10. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

Why is Zoro wearing his bandanna your favorite?? :):)

11. Sweetcorn ...dame dane dame yo dame na no yo OoOooOoOO~

Bandana stats: 100% BS immunity and increases badassery by 9000%

If equipped on a swordsman, there is nothing they cannot cut.

12. Gledania Yeah but no.

Belgium
    Best : BAN - KAI

Worst : G4 :giogio

13. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

Do you just not like how gear 4 looks? :laugh:laugh

14. Gledania Yeah but no.

Belgium

Yes.

:hestonpls

15. shaantu Well-Known Member

worst: G4 Tankman was the worst power-up I've ever seen

16. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

Tankman because it's underwhelming? or because its gross looking? :skysun:skysun

17. shaantu Well-Known Member

both, I know it was one-time gag power-up but still it was bad

18. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

LOL are you sure it's going to be one time? I can just Imagine him using it on "Whitebeard's Son" or something, and having a comedic fight.:rotfl:rotfl

What's your opinion on snakeman? :):)

19. shaantu Well-Known Member

nah I'm pretty certain it was one-time use, it doesn't seem that useful except it tanks. Also that form requires to eat

Snakeman is not bad, I like that he's not as big as he's in Boundman form, and I actually prefer when Luffy's more agile just like with G2. Probably the best of his G4 forms.

20. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

Well the peculiar thing is that when he used it he specifically says "Tank man: Full Version" I think implies that their may be a normal version of G4 Tank man that isn't usually so fat and full of food. Mabye its usually just with air? :):)

Do you expect a G5 LOL

21. shaantu Well-Known Member

no idea lets hope we wont see that lame form ever again
    G5 is definitely possible, probably some kind of mix with G4 + Awakening but it's just my first thought :)

22. Konami Yatsa Well-Known Member

Worst: I remember Kirito breaking the game or someshit

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  23. Keishin Well-Known Member

I've never watched Sword art online but I know it's really popular, would you reccomend it? I'm not really a fan of harems animes. :):)

25. Konami Yatsa Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest SAO fan dropped it after season 1, If you don't like harems I don't know if you'd like it since a large number of the girls had a crush on him but he chooses one pretty early on.

26. Gordo solos David "Gordo" Gordon

Super Saiyan Swellow was one of the funniest things to me as a kid. I distinctly remember going WTF when I saw it. That will always be my favorite power up :supercat

27. Adamant soul Well-Known Member

Naruto Best Power Up - Eight Inner Gates = I'm all for power ups which are incredibly risky but have a huge reward, I just wish we could have seen it more often. Lee should have been the main character damn it.

Naruto Worst Power Up - Jinchuriki and anything passed the normal Sharingan = I don't think I even need to explain this.

Bleach Best Power Up - Bankai = Takes time and effort to master with big reward when you get it right, as long as it's not Soi-Fon's though. :maybe

Bleach Worst Power Up - Hougyoku Aizen = Yep you can just survive everything for free, be immortal and transform at your leisure and the thing doing this can't be destroyed because.... fuck you. :notrust

Dragon Ball Best Power Up - KaioKen = Same as the Eight inner Gates

Dragon Ball Worst Power Up - Zenkai Boosts = You're getting more power for doing absolutely nothing, Hit's "Improvement" falls under the same category.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018