1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Boondocks

Discussion in 'Off the Air' started by Negative-Ion, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Negative-Ion

If you havent seen this show on CN every sunday at 11, you are missing some funny shit. Start watching, this show is a killer, so hilarious, im cracking up everytime i watch this thing.

My sig is from the show btw lol, yeah if you havent figured out yet, the characters are all black people. And the word ^ (use bro) is used like fuck thru the entire show lol. My niggas!

Tags:
  2. Kagalli

Are you sure its anime? I thought it was just a regular animated show by some American animators? *shrugs*
    Its a good show though. I like watching it.

3. Negative-Ion

Who cares what it is lol, i consider this anime. The voice characters are great too, and Riley is fucking funny lol. It does have some martial arts scenes too but the show is new and im expecting to show even more stuff like that. The comedy tho is what makes this show great.

4. KuwabaraTheMan

Not anime, but anime-inspired(the Champloo references are very obvious).

Love the show, really entertaining.

5. Iruka-Senpai

It's considered anime in my book and I love the show. The only problem is that there is no new episode next week and knowing adultswim that could mean it's canceled or on hiatus. They always do that.

6. silverwings

Boondocks is no more an anime than Totally Spies or Avatar. It's imitation and not the actual thing.

As far as I know, TV Guide is still showing an episode called "The Reality" to be aired on the the 4th. Are you sure they just didn't air an episode due to it being Thanksgiving weekend?

7. Blackvoice

that show is so funny have three out of the four i think i am missing the first one.

8. Gene

Yeah this show is pretty hilarious. Espcially the black guy who loves white people LOL. Plus it's very anime-ish...

9. Negative-Ion

This show ranks on my top anime list so far, and ive only watched 3 episodes.
    Damn nice anime.

also i dont get why some of you dont consider this show anime, i mean wtf makes naruto, one peice, bleach and the rest shows anime? Is there some brand that we have to put on a show to make it anime? Boondcoks has all the characteristics of a anime show.

10. chakra25

I think it's a funny show. The artwork is pretty darn good. I can't wait to see the upcoming episode with the samurai action. LOL!

11. KuwabaraTheMan

The fact that it debuted in America, is based on an American comic strip by American Aaron McGruder who is also in charge of the tv show, done by American storyboarders with American writers and American voice actors. The only part done overseas is Animation, and pretty much every non-CGI animated show is animated in Korea these days.

It falls in to the same category as Teen Titans, not anime but made by anime fans who chose to go with an anime look for it.

Besides, how many anime do you know that show R. Kelly in them?

I'm loving Boondocks, Huey and Riley are pretty funny, and Grandad's pretty cool. Sunday's episode with the blind guy was really interesting.

12. earthshine

i will never forget the blind ^ (use bro) samurai

13. GSurge

Is it done by the studio who did Champloo?

14. Negative-Ion

Are you trying to say that a show is considered anime if and only if is made entirely in japan or by japanese people? Americans or whoever else cant make anime? And when they do, they are not considered anime?

Samurai champloo, had a some western themed episodes too, Gantz also and its considered anime. Boondocks because is based on western themes is not anime? I dont get it.

15. KuwabaraTheMan

It has to be made by Japanese people. Boondocks is not made by Japanese people. The creater, directors, writers, and storyboarders are all americans. Its an american cartoon that has lots of anime influences, just like Teen Titans.
    Champloo and Gantz were made by Japanese people, though. Just like how Cowboy Bebop and Big O were western series, but made by Japanese people. Boondocks isn't anime because its made by Americans, and done in America. If it was like Transformers where Hasbro came up with the idea but left the Japanese to write, direct, and animate it, it would be anime. But it isn't, its an American series that's done by people who like and respect anime and allowed it to influence their style.

I could claim that Cowboy Bebop and Big O have western looks, rather then anime looks, so they're American cartoons, not anime. It would be the same as claiming Boondocks as anime.

16. stab-o-tron5000

Rocks in my backyard are just rocks. Those same rocks in space would be called astroids, even if they were identical to the rocks in my yard. If an astroid lands in my backyard, then it's called a meteorite even though it's now among the other rocks in my backyard. It's not like it's better than the other rocks or anything (although it would be more exotic). The name "meteorite" simply helps define it's origin.

So Hinata's Fan pretty much got it. By definition, anime is any animated show/movie that comes from Japan. If it doesn't come from Japan, despite how it looks, it ain't anime. If Naruto was originally made here in America, even if it looked exactly the same as it does now, it would be a cartoon, not anime. Just think of the term as an identification of were the product originated from, nothing more.

17. Negative-Ion

Ya all dont know what you are talking about. A movie made in US, is called a movie in Japan. A movie that is made in Japan is called a movie in US and so on and so on.

Its like saying, only black people can rap and do hip hop. and then say that Eminem is not rapping or making hip-hop because he is white. Or to take it to another level, its like saying if you are not black and not from the U.S then you cant rap. Hell i know there exists japanese rap, french rap, greek rap, albanian rap etc etc and a lot of these people are not black. Does that mean what they are doing isnt rap or hip hop?

Please dude get your sterotypes out of your mind already.

18. silverwings

If it's made in America, it's called a cartoon or Animation.

When Japanese cartoons started debut over here way back when, it was refered to as Japanese Animation. That was shortened to Japanimation. Which was then shortened to anime.

Boondocks is anime-influenced. Just like Teen Titans, Totally Spies, and Avatar. Those shows are not considered anime, just like the Boondocks is not considered anime. Just a show that sees the current appeal of anime and borrows characteristics for its own show.

19. stab-o-tron5000

So If I called lasagna "Italian food" I'd be stereotyping the Food?

I said it once and I'll say it again. The very definition of the word "anime" is specificly:

anime: (an?i?me)
    Function: noun
    animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes

Allow me to point out the important part of the definition that you seem to be having trouble understanding

animation originating in Japan

You also seem to have it in your head that by saying Boondocks isn't anime we're somehow putting it down. We're not, I think it's an incredibly funny show. I am in no way saying that labeling it as a cartoon is a bad thing. Any negative connotation you're perceiving from our insistance of not referring to Boondocks as anime is in your own head. But despite the art style used, any animated show made in America is called a cartoon.

20. Iruka-Senpai

I think anime are just cartoons with a fancy name. I consider Boodocks anime because of the art,expressions, and stories. The word anime refers to the style of animation and storytelling,not the creators. I like drawing anime stories in my sketchbooks with anime art and let's say one day I end up publishing a comic/manga in Japan or America or both. Are you saying that even though I published it as an anime that because I'm an American it's not anime or that I can't write a Haiku because I'm not Japanese?

So..that's its origin. That means it is referring to the people who created it first and the country it first appeared in, not the people who are allowed to make it. If what you said is true, then the spaghetti I made to eat isn't spaghetti because an American company made it and canned it while I, a Mexican, cooked it. It even says "style of animation."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  21. genjo sanzo

BTW this show is funny as hell,
    the only reason I really hate it is that they replaced FLCL for it!!!
    Why not S-cry-ed or some other crappy ass show.

22. Negative-Ion

Dude you dont understand that by giving something a title like "anime" it doesnt mean that anything else cant be called "anime"

Windows is an Operating system
    Linux is an operating system.

They both have different names, but at their core they are Operating Systems, they perform the same function. Just because are made by different people and companies, it doesnt make Linux a lesser OS than Windows.

The Boondocks is the same stuff, it falls in the anime category. Because a genre is originated in some area of the world it doesnt mean anything. Drama was orginated in greece, but the drama everyone else does is still called drama as a genralization. now if you want to be specific if you want, and you can call drama originated in greece, Greek Drama. Just as if you want to be specific you can say Japanese anime and American anime. Now because we all here know what anime is, we can refer to it as just anime. People in greece, refer to their drama as drama, they dont refer to it as greek drama. You know what i mean? its the same thing with anime, we are on the cyberspace, there is no borders, so i can call any anime from any ara of the world by its genre name, anime. It doesnt matter if its japanese, greek, american, or french. Its anime.

23. S14girl

Its not anime. But sure hell is a good show, the music is great also.

24. Negative-Ion

Wtf is anime then? By your standards anime is any show that is made stricktly by japanese people. This is hilarious really, i mean is the "title" anime copyrighted by japanese people? I mean i might want to create a anime show, but because im not japanese i cant make a anime show? And if i do, i cant call my show anime?

damn this is crazy, dudes get it off your systems.

25. Kucheeky Badkuya

These is a thread for this in the TV Section....X_X

26. RealaMoreno

27. earthshine

for somthing to be anime, it must be made in japan, as anime actually means japanese animation, all others are simply animation

28. Raistlin-sama

Anime is a japanese production (meaning that some of the actual animation can be made by korean studios, without it not being defined as anime any longer) made mainly by japanese people. Therefore this cannot be considered anime. And I don't really get why you want it to be defined as such, since it have absolutely no influence on the quality of the show. It is simply animation originating from another country then Japan, and it therefore cannot be considered anime, by the definition of the word.

29. Dimezanime88

You noe, there are japanese animators over here in America. Anime doesn't really have to be made in Japan, for it to be considered anime. Yes The Boondocks have some references to Ninja Scroll and Samurai Champloo [obviously], and it isn't an anime but a cartoon; but asians [Koreans, Chinese, and etc] help out in the production. Avatar obviously isn't done by Americans alone...dats for sure...Boondocks should be in the Theatre section...plus, there is already a thread...jeez..

PS. Japanese anime style can be reproduced, like dat of those who do fanarts...U tell me this, if Eyeshield 21 kept the same animation, but without anything showing that it was from Japan, but still kept its japanese text, but dubbed in english, would you or would u not consider it anime still?

30. SeruraRenge

The funniest character, IMO, is Uncle Ruckus. Now, I have had a best friend who was a self-hating Jew, but I have NEVER met a self-hating black man before.