1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

The Don Krieg appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Ohara Library' started by PX23, Oct 13, 2018.

1. PX23 Member

Krieg's Pirate Armada consisted of a fleet of 50 ships and 5,000 men before entering Paradise. For comparison Orlumbus's Yonta Maria Grand Fleet consists of 4,300 members, while a Buster Call requires a fleet of 10 battleships with 10,000 soldiers on board. In chapter 548 Jimbei (Oda) says that "Battleships are still battleships, they're a formidable force no matter who's aboard" so it doesn't really matter that fodders were those firing the cannons.

It's important to note that his right-hand-man Gin had a bounty of 12,000,000 which is exceptional for an East Blue underling. Gin also smashed through Pearl's "iron wall" with ease, something East Blue Sanji wasn't capable of doing.

DK's Modoku Gas Dan MH5 would've killed/defeated Luffy and Sanji if it were not for the plot armor gas masks. Crocodile's golden hook which contained scorpion venom and Duval's harpoons coated with poison were still considered lethal later on, poison is deadly AF in OP. Only Magellan, Reiju, post-Impel Down Luffy, Smoothie, and Gangster Gastino are immune to MH5. Skypiea Zoro (108 Pound Hou) is the first SH that can reliably take Krieg without plot BS.

The Don can effortlessly wield an explosive spear that weighs 1-ton single-handedly, so he's basically Mr. 4 without the mental retardation. His flamethrower reduced a mast to cinders instantly, meaning Mr. 3's wax (remember that Galdino took down a pirate with a 42,000,000 bounty + captured Zoro & Brogy) would be ineffective against him. Even without poison he's pretty formidable for an early villain.

Krieg was the last man standing vs Luffy. Had it been 1 vs 1 with no one around to save hammer boy from the sinking iron net...

With hindsight, what bounty did he deserve?

Tags:
  2. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal
    The Don :bury

Could have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

And sadist Mihawk.

3. White Rabbit Yumi Carrotoid

He was so manly.... :blobblush

4. TrafalgarRao The dude who will change the world

:facepalmed

5. midace Well-Known Member

~75 mio with potential till 200 mio tops - if he wouldn't have crossed ways with end level strength guys

6. GilDLax Well-Known Member

Definitely can be a boss in Grand Line with his full force instead of the battered post-Mihawk state they were in Baratie arc.

Also I think he did throw that small pedal ship of Baratie which sure can be heavier than 1 ton?

I'd say 90mil.
    Now if you upgrade all of his weapons to New World level like made of sea stone, buy him Caesar's gas weapon, etc. he could be as high as 200mil+.

7. Mysticreader Well-Known Member

Don Krieg did manage to amass an impressive fleet, this speaks well for both his leadership qualities and charisma to be able to gather such figures especially since he started out in the weakest sea. Had he somehow survived paradise, he might even be a supernova and a candidate to awaken coc.

Who knows, maybe it wasn't by chance that he met Mihawk along the way. Mihawk being "clairvoyant" probably wanted to test his potential.

8. Shrike Let's Baby

It was early One Piece, if Oda wrote him now, he would have no more than 50 fodder followers. Realistically, his bounty should have been ~15k, as Arlog was the most dangerous guy in East Blue with 20k.

9. Gledania Yeah but no.

Flag:
    Belgium
  10. Kinjin Silver Bullet

Switzerland
    Arlong > Kuro > Krieg as far as East Blue villains goes. He's still decent though.

11. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany
    Never like Don Krieg.

12. Kings punch Well-Known Member

I almost made a don krieg thread awhile back when i was rereading baratie. Dude had an army, why did the government never take him down? Dude coulda killed luffy too if not for luffy getting help. I liked krieg

13. PX23 Member

Sabagashira Ichi-gō's three mouth cannons alone could weigh 5 tonnes, yeah. He lifted the ship with one hand, threw it a fair distance into the air (a decidedly more impressive feat than Arlong lifting a wooden house with all his might).

Once he finds out about Kairōseki it's in his character to steal a great quantity of it to upgrade his diamond fists, armor, Nīdoru Mashingan stakes, seastone-embedded net, … definitely. Oda originally designed him as a cyborg called "Krieg - 9000" so I can see him dissecting Pacifistas also.

14. Shiba D. Inu ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

16. Kingdom Come Someone tell me how to put my profile picture

Don Krieg real bounty should be around 50 million.
    Arlong closer to 60 million.

18. Joe Maya Well-Known Member

Cannot imagine these fodder more powerful than Don Krieg.

19. midace Well-Known Member

@PX23 can you please do more threads like these? Really enjoyed reading it. How about Arlong? Would love to see him come back - he would make a great third man for crocodile. I know it's far fetched but if Alvira can join buggy Arlong can join crocodile ;)

20. PX23 Member

Crab-Hand Gyro 73,000,000
    That one 55,000,000 fodder shot by Demaro Black

21. Joe Maya Well-Known Member

lol imagine that 55 million fodder,more than 3 times Don Krieg bounty manage to beat him and his 5000 men and 50 ships or that Haritsu Kendiyo guy fodder'd by Eustass Kidd manage to get into the New World with such paltry crew...can these noob beat Don Krieg and his armada ???

22. Mysticreader Well-Known Member

Even Sarkies had a 38 milllion bounty. Other than his arsenal of weapons, Don Krieg actually uses poison which in the one piece verse, actually seems potent if you don't have an antidote/cure at hand.

23. PX23 Member

Jigorou of the Wind killed 7,000 pirates, he was a General Zombie (renowned warrior in life). A legendary fighter (i.e. a Mihawk or Ace) can wipe out Baroque Works' 1,800 "Millions" & 200 "Billions" for breakfast.

The thing is, Rear Admiral Strawberry and some generic nobodies managed to overwhelm Fisher Tiger. 100 Whiskey Peak pushovers cornered East Blue's greatest swordsman (if Miss Monday can make Zoro bleed imagine what DK could do). Higuma an 8,000,000 mountain bandit ultimately cost a Yonko his arm. The Kumate Tribe overpowered the Buggy Pirates. In chapter 661 Brownbeard of all people owned post-skip Luffy, Zoro, Robin, and Usopp. Yet people crap on the Don for losing to the WSS.

24. Joe Maya Well-Known Member

Sarkies could solo Don Krieg and 5000 men armada.

25. Joe Maya Well-Known Member

All this is what we called plot & hype.
    Like Oda want to show oh these type of bounties is the norm in the Grand Line / New World.

I mean wasn't it only a decade ago we all thought oh Roger / Whitebeard bounty is 1 billion r u crazy????wtf 1 BILLION?
    srly i'm not surprised if we see a group of pirates with 10 billion+ bounties hanging around Raftel.

26. PX23 Member

The guy riding Bellamy's coattails? He can't even solo the Flying Fish Riders GTFO

27. Vivo Diez Well-Known Member

Don Krieg was a nice point of reference in the series how gadgetry and equipment cannot beat overwhelming power and willpower. Mihawk easily destroyed his army, Luffy beat his ass with him using all of his equipment and gadgetry.

28. GilDLax Well-Known Member

That's not true. It's relative and a matter of degree.
    For example, water > fire seems like a widely or even universally accepted basic idea in elemental fighting, but reality is the amount is important. How can you beat a giant ball of fire like Ace's Entei with a small bucket of water? Not to mention sometimes in fiction you have weird fire or weird water that functions very differently from their real-life counterparts and that changes everything.

So frankly, Krieg's losing to Mihawk and Luffy doesn't mean gadgets and equipment cannot beat willpower and actual fighting capabilities. It only means Krieg's gadgets and equipment are not good enough. If you give Krieg the best Ironman suit ever he would stomp EastBlueLuffy. But even then Krieg wouldn't beat a lot of fictional characters out there because they are even stronger. Again, relative.

29. Vivo Diez Well-Known Member

Ofc it's relative, start of series Koby won't beat a pacifista with willpower alone. But the message I'm referring to has been literally echoed throughout the whole series.

30. GilDLax Well-Known Member

You bolded ''overwhelming power'' but talked and gave a link about willpower?

Anw, I know what Zeff said and sure, I don't challenge the nice message itself. I'm just saying reality is Luffy could beat Don Krieg because Krieg was only that much at the time. If Krieg was equipped with shit made by Caesar and Vegapunk and was like a Pacifista then Luffy wouldn't have won, unless with plot-armor.

To flip the statement, your abilities and willpower cannot beat overwhelming gadget and equipment. Unless you're even stronger, which is my point: it's relative. Frankly these statements sound like tautology.

So really, the message is nice and as the author Oda can exercise his omnipotent control over his universe to give it a context to be uttered so it echoes with the readers. But the result of fighting is not really an evidence or point of reference of gadget and equipment cannot beat willpower and vice versa though. Mihawk is just plain stronger is all.