1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

The Encyclopedia Of Manga

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by mow, Oct 20, 2004.

1. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I was thinkin that there shoul be an encyclopida for manga, a thread that ppl can use to info for the manga out there, good or bad, so here it goes

Manga's Name:- the title of the manga.
    Author's Name:- self explaintory.
    No. Of Volumes:- the no of volumes released at this moment.
    Licesened:- yes or no.
    Genre:- Shonen, Shojo, etc
    Target Audience:- for example, 16+ if it contains viloence and so on
    Synposis:- A breif overview of the manga and whats it about
    Why you recommend it:- things that you enjoyed in the manag and why you thing ppl should check it out.
    Why you DONT recommend it:- If it sucked, tell us why.
    Where to get it:- Links for the scanlating groups or in case licensed company's website.
    Author's other Works:- self-explainatory

RULES
    1.NO FLAMMING. Please respect other member's opinions
    2.NO SPAMMING. Only post if you are going to submit info using the guidline stated aboe.
    3.In the reccomendation section, dont just say the manag was nice or it was bad, validate your reasons.
    4.If you have further information on one of the submitted manga's pm me or Saga-Sama.

Thanks for particpating :D .

REVIEWS:

20th Century Boys
      2001 Nights

666 Satan

• A

Addicated To Curry
      Aishiteruze Baby
      Akira
      Angel Densetsu
      Angel Sanctuary
      Azumanga Daioh

• B

B'tX
      Basilisk
      Battle Angel Alital / Gunm (Japanese name)
      Battle Royal
      BECK
      Berserk
      Blade Of the immortal
      BLAME!
      Bleach
      Bowling King
      Bremen

• C

Cardcaptor Sakura
      Change Guy (100th reviewed manga) :woo
      Chobits
      Chronicles of the Cursed Sword.
      Cowa!
      Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star

• D

D.Grayman
      Death Note
      DNA
      DN Angel
      Dr. Slump
      Dragonball

• E

Eden
      Elfen Lied
      Eyeshield 21

• F

Faeries' Landing
      Flames Of Recca
      FLCL
      Fly
      Fruits Basket
      Full Metal Alchemist
      Full Metal Panic
      Full Moon wo Sagashite (Searching for the full moon)

• G

GANTZ
      Get Backers
      GTO
      Gun Blaze West
      Gunsmith Cats

• H

H2
      Hajime no Ippo
      Hana-Kimi (hanazakari no kimitachi he) For you in full blossom
      Hikaru no Go
      Hellsing
      Homonuclus
      Hot Gimmik
      Hunter x Hunter

• I

I"s
      Ichigo 100%
      Inuyasha
    • J

• K

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
      Kill Me Kiss Me
      KingOf Hell
      Kiseiju
      Koroshiya Ichi

• L

Legal Drug
      Love hina
      Lone Wolf & cub

• M

MR
      Magic Knight Rayearth (MKR).
      Majin -Devil-
      MARS
      MONSTER
      Mermaid's Scar
      MPD Pshyco
      Mr.Fullswing
      My Hime

Continues on the post below . . .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
    Tags:
  2. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

• N

National Quiz
      Nausica? of the Valley of Wind
      Negima! Magister Negi Magi
      NHK ni Youkoso

• O

Oldboy
      One Piece

• P
      Pet Shop of Horrors
      Pita - Ten
      Please Save My Earth
      Pretty Face
      Priest
      Prince of Tennis

• Q
      Qwan

• R

Ragnork
      Ranma 1/2
      Rave Master
      REAL
      REBOUND
      Rookie
      Rurouni Kenshin

• S

Saint seyia
      Saiyuki
      Sakuran
      Salad Days
      Samurai Deeper Kyo
      Samurai Excutioner
      Scyred
      Serial Experiments Lain
      Shaman King
      Shaman King
      Shaolin Sisters
      Slam Dunk!
      Suzuka

• T

Tenjo Tenge
      The Ravages Of time
      The Violinist of Hameln
      The Wallflower
      Threads Of Time
      Touch
      Tuxedo Gin

• U

Urusei Yatsura

• V
      Vagabond
      Violinist of Hameln

• W

Wolf's Rain

• X

X/1999

• Y

Yakitate!! Japan
      Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
      Yotsuba!
      Yu Yu Hakusho

• Z

Zombie Powder
    =========================================================
    WE HAVE REVIEWED 100MANGAS!
    THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING THE INFO AND POSTING HERE :smile-big AND THANKS TO PEK FOR ORGANZING THE LIST

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006
  3. mary no jutsu hungry

Manga's Name:- hot gimmick
    Author's Name:- miki aihara
    No. Of Volumes:-5
    Licesened:- yes
    Genre:- Shojo
    Target Audience:- 13 and above kinda depends on how mature u are
    Synposis:this is about a highschool girl named hatsumi. she lives in an apartment complez with her family. its inhabited by the workers of a certain company. all the workers live there. it is ruled by the company owners wife tachibana.so angering her could make u lose your job and your home.
    well one day she walking to school when she sees her sister akane she asks whats wrong and her sister says she thinks she might be pregnant(her sister is in middleschool)so she goes to the store to buy her sister a pregnancy test. well on her way home she bumps into her childhood bully. ryoki tachibana the som of ms tachibana. well she drops the pregnancy test and thinks shes pregnant but then she says its for her sister. she then regrets saying that. afraid she might be kicked out of her home she says that she'll do anything so he won't tell his mom and he says "alright as long as you become my slave"
    well she has no choice but to d what he says so he's like trying to do it to her but then she is rescued by her childhood buddy azusa. will he save her from the clutches of the evil ryoki or does he have something else in mind

Why you recommend it:its probably the most addicting manga ever. that is does not even describe the story there are so many twists and turns its good
    Where to get it:- sasuhina colored

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  4. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Manga's Name:- BECK
    Author's Name:- Harold Sakuishi.
    No. Of Volumes:- 19 volumes.
    Licesened:- No.
    Genre:- A shonen manga, but will appeal to mature aduinces
    Target Audience:- 14+. Contains (at rare times) some sexual refrences and death.
    Synposis:- Yukio (also called Koyuki) is somewhat of a loser. He's not very popular, athletic or musically talented. In fact his favorite musician is an idol singer.
    His life seems to be on an upswing when he gets reacquainted with a childhood friend, Izumi and when he meets Ryusuke, a musician with connections to the very popular American band, Dying Breed.
    Through Izumi and Ryusuke, Yukio becomes acquainted with the world of rock music and finds that he loves the Dying Breed. He then aspires to be a musician and begins to learn the guitar. His quick progress with the guitar and his incredible voice earn him a spot in Ryusuke's band, Beck.
    Why you recommend it:-I usuallly part myslef away from manga's that revolve music, but this one cuaght my attention greatly. The story is superb, fresh artwork and great character development. You will most definiatly find yourself attached to this manga and its characters
    Where to get it:- Synopsis and Download Here
    Author's other Works:- None that I know of .

5. Saga-Sama Banned

Manga's Name: Saint Seiya.
    Author's Name: Masami Kurumada.
    No. Of Volumes: 127 episodes and counting.
    Licesened: No
    Genre: Shonen
    Target Audience: 13+
    Synposis: Saint Seiya is a story from Masami Kurumada about warriors called 'Saints' whose task is to protect, and to fight against evil forces. There are also evil Saints in the story who are on the hostile side. It is said that every 200 years an evil will come back to earth and try to rule the world, and at the same time, the Goddess Athena will be reincarnated to prevent the evil from accesion to power on earth. The story has five main chacters: Seiya the Pegasus Saint, Shiryu the Dragon Saint, Shun the Andromeda Saint, Hyoga the Cygnus Saint, and Ikki the Phoenix Saint. The task of these Saints is to protect Athena, the Goddess of peace, and to defeat the evil forces. The Saints wear special armour, which each has deserved after years of hard training. Their armour not only protects them from external impacts, but also gives them special abilities. The armour represents a star constellation, from which a Saint also gains his power, called 'cosmo'. The cosmo of a Saint is like an aura. According to the story, everyone has a cosmo, which he/she is able to discover.
    Where to get it: Any downloading program such as kazaa or torrent...
    Author's other Works: None that I know of.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  6. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Manga's Name:- GANTZ
    Author's Name:- Hiroya Oku .
    No. Of Volumes:- 15 volumes.
    Genre:- Mature shonen
    Target Audience:- 18+. Mature content. Do not be surprised if you come across disturbing imagery showing death, decapitation and sexuality.
    Synposis:- Somewhere in Tokyo, there is a room. In that room is a black sphere. Periodically, people who should otherwise have died are transferred to the room. There, the sphere gives them special suits and weapons, and sends them out on a mission to kill aliens here on Earth. While these missions take place, the rest of the world is largely oblivious to them. These missions are lethal - few participants survive them. The sphere calls the shots, and it's not the slightest bit nice. It's name... Gantz.
    Why you recommend it:-This manga is in a compleltey different level than anything ive ever read in my whole life, the only manga that is in its level is Ichi (ill post the info on that one later). GANTZ is twisted, the story is mind boggoling in every aspect, charcters are very well drawn (dotn get attached to any of the characters though). Though its contains violence and sexualty , you cant help but continue reading it like its an addication. This is the sortof manga which either you'll love oor hate, there's no in between.
    Where to get it:-
    Author's other Works:- HEN .[/B]

7. Noex Member No. 4154

well moe u know me....:) i dont get this??? what is this good for ohh well plz answer me!!!!! :D

8. Saga-Sama Banned

Manga Name: Samurai Deeper Kyo.
    Author's Name: Akimine Kamijyo.
    No. of volumes: 26 episodes.
    Lisenced: Yes.
    Genre: Shonen.
    Targeted Audience: 16+.
    Synposis: It is 1604, four years after the Battle of Sekigahara, perhaps Japan's greatest civil war. The people try to recover from its aftermath and enjoy the newly attained peace. Amid such times Yuya Shiina, a roughneck girl who earns money by capturing outlaws, mistakes a roaming and peace-loving medicine seller Mibu Kyoshiro for the legendary wanted man "Onime-no-Kyo." But she soon realizes that she is wrong when she sees that Kyoshiro is just a weakling. Nevertheless, she ends up capturing Kyoshiro anyway -- he is wanted for running off without paying for a meal. As they travel together Kyoshiro tries to help Yuya catch another wanted criminal. In the process Kyoshiro is cornered. Then he mumbles, "Here he comes," and the color of his eyes turn a deep red. He pulls out his sword which he had never touched before and suddenly, Onime-no-Kyo, the legendary assassin said to have killed one thousand men with this sword, is standing there.

Kyoshiro and Kyo: Two spirits in one body. Yuya is looking for a "man with a wound on his back" who killed her older brother. The two head to Edo together. One after another, samurai come after Onime-no-Kyo. Why do Kyoshiro and Kyo share the same body? Historical figures, such as Tokugawa Ieyasu and Oda Nobunaga, emerge in the story and the mystery of the two souls is gradually resolved.
    Why you recommend it: Nice story line, cool soundtrack and lovely characters.
    Where to get it: Lisenced can't get it...
    Author's other works: I think none.

9. EndlessRain KB24

Guess for just info like an encyclopedia does :p

Manga's Name: Ragnarok
    Author's Name: Myung-Jin Lee
    No. of Volumes: 10 out in the US
    Status: Seems to be ongoing, but it look liked it took a break?
    Licensed: Yes
    Genre: Fantasy/Action with some comedy
    Target Audience: 13+
    Synopsis: Ragnarok means the prophesized fall of the gods. The gods of course don't want this to happen, so they release their elite army of warriors called Valkyries to prevent Ragnarok from happening. And on the other side there are people who know or want this to happen such as Fenris Fenrir, one of the main characters. She is trying to find the reincarnation of Balder who is the main main character, Chaos, to help her on her journey to make Ragnarok happen and fight these Valkyries. So its like a war. Of course many new characters are joined and problems met along the story.

Why you recommened it: The manga is completely awesome. The story is great, the characters are well-developed, and art is amazing. And for you Norse Mythology fans out there, this is good. Plus, any of the Ragnarok Online players should like this since RO is based out of this.

Where to get: Bookstores
    Author's other works: None that i know of, but I know he has made other manwha, especially since he has made his own Dive to Dream Sea studio.

10. korican04 ftp-nin

Manga's Name:- Death Note
    Author's Name:- Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata
    No. Of Volumes:- 108 chapters
    Licensed:- yes by viz
    Genre:- Shonen Jump/Murder!!!
    Target Audience:- 16+, mature story people dying, getting murdered, so on.
    Synposis:- Death Note starts off with a Demon from the World of the Dead looking on the human world. Each demon has a Death Note a book which can kill a person by writing the victims name in it. One of the demons puts a death note in the human world for his amusement and this is where the story begins. A brilliant High School student named Raito (light) finds the death note and starts writing names down like a mad man!!!. Mainly to kill criminals though. Another brilliant man detective "L" is investigating these mysterious deaths. "L"'s brain power is uncanny, he figures out in what country and city and even which suspects could have commited these unworldly murders??!?! The story is a battle of the wits against Raito and L. Raito needs to get rid of L and L needs to find out who are commiting the murders and how before he too is killed.
    Why you recommend it:- THis is all about story. THis is basically two geniuses trying to out do each other with their brain power and Raito's death note. One is trying to kill criminals and the people trying to stop him, the other is trying not be killed and to solve this crazy murder mystery. The story keeps you angst and you can't wait what happends next. The characters are great and greatly drawn you won't be able to stop reading.
    Why you DONT recommend it:- Not really action, but the crazyness of the story and occurences make up for it.
    Where to get it:- OrangeTangerine website or PM me.
    Author's other Works:- ????

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  11. Saga-Sama Banned

thx guys... and if anyone has other info about a submitted manga by another user, plz PM this info to Moe, or if he gives me the authorisation to handle this PM me then... and we'll work the info and sharing it...

12. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

this is strange I was just about to ask you to help me out in that! lol i guess great minds think alike. :p
    Ill edit this in the fist post

13. Saga-Sama Banned

hehe, homies do think the same way afterall ^_^

14. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Manga's Name:- Koroshiya Ichi
    Author's Name:- Naoki Urasawa.
    No. Of Volumes:- 10 volumes.
    Genre:- violence, sexuality, gore, drama and psychological thriller.
    Target Audience:- 18+. NOT FOR THE WEAK OF HEART! Manga contains explicit contat and extrem violence and gore. IT was even banned in some parts of Japan!
    Synposis:- In japan, everything is ruled by the yakuza. An old man tries to remove the yakuza from power in a town and plans to take over it. He uses a mentally disturbed youngster by the name of Ichi to assisnate theYakuza leaders. Ichi suffers from nightmares and a fetish for murdered corpses and blood. The story follows Ichi and his attempts to kill of the yakuza
    Why you recommend it:- I really dont know! this manga has completely captured me, its violent, full of sex and blood and at times made me sick to my stomach, yet I kept on reading it. The main character Ichi is well down and his psychological development throughout the manag is very interestsing to see. The artwork is average, but the auther compinsates to it by using extremly powerful and shocking scenes and a great story. You will either love it or hate it, theres no in between.
    Why you dont recommend it:- Trust me on this one, if you dont like violence dont come into a 5m radius of this manga, it will really cause uneasiness and will induce nuisea if your not into that genre
    Author's other Works:- Homunculus

15. Anbu_soul Iwa Sato Seibyou

Manga's Name:- Flame of Recca .
    Author's Name:- Nobuyuki Anzai.
    No. Of Volumes:- curentely 5 or 6 volumes in the U.S.A that i know of
    Licesened:- ??????.
    Genre:- actoin
    Target Audience:- i say for ages 13and because it shows one of the charecters (0)(0)at the end of the first volume
    Synposis:- i've only read the first one but the stories about Recca who kind of street punk and create fire with his hand at will and Yanagi Sakoshitanow follwers him around till he has to fight his rival Fuko Kirisawa is possed by a missteryes women and has to his rival with a special power.
    Why you recommend it:- it's just good and figting packed and a little humor
    Where to get it:- i don't know any wed sites i just know at book store
    Author's other Works :- not sure

16. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Manga's Name:- Hajime no Ippo
    Author's Name:- Morikawa Jyoji.
    No. Of Volumes:- 67 volumes. 77
    Genre:- Shonen Sports.
    Target Audience:- 13+.
    Synposis:- Hajime no Ippo is a boxing manga that follows Makunouchi Ippo in his quest to attain strength. ppo starts as a kid who is always bullied in school tell one day he meets a boxer who helps him out. Ever since then Ippo begin boxing and fell in love with it. he story follows ippo in his attempts to become a pro boxer and the trainnng and oppenets he meets along the way.

Why you recommend it:- This pobabily THE best sports manga evwer created. The artwork is great, the boxing matches are done to the point of prefection, great characters and the story stays solid and doesnt lose a beat to even though its 67 volumes and still going on.Highly recommended to those who enjoy sports
    Author's other Works:- None that I know of.

17. Blinus I always have a plan

Manga's Name: Hunter x Hunter (It's worth noting that the x is unpronounced. It's like a fancy hyphen. Just say 'Hunter Hunter when speaking it.)

Author's Name: Togashi Yoshihiro

No. Of Volumes: I'm not positive. Around 20.

Licensed: No

Genre: Shonen I guess, but it should appeal to fans of other genres as well.

Target Audience: I'd say about 12 and up, but it's not so bad that younger kids couldn't handle it.

Synposis: Gon Freaks is a young boy living on a secluded island with his aunt Mito. His hobby is fishing, which he excels at. After being saved from a wild animal by a man named Kaito, he learns from him that Gon's father, Ging, is alive and is a 'Hunter', which is a title given to one who... how to put this... excels at life. It doesn't literaly mean hunter, like hunting animals. Gon decides that he too will be a hunter, and hopes to meet up with his father someday. On his journey, which takes him through the Hunter's Exam and beyond, he meets several companions. There's Leorio, an aspiring doctor... Kurapika, a boy who wants to avenge the slaughter of his tribe by a criminal organization called the Genei Ryodan, and Killua, a member of a family of assassins, yet ironically he hates the idea of being an assassin himself. Gon, Leorio, Kurapika, and Killua go on many exciting quests, hoping to resolve their own storylines. It's rather simple in description, but it's all awesome. Trust me. :-)

Why you recommend it: I guess I answered this question with the above answer too. I guess I like the characters a lot, they are all very well developed, their motives are reasonable, and they aren't just the cliched good guy bad guy types you see elsewhere. But the number one reason I recommend it: The character Hisoka. A sociopathic magician who uses playing cards as weapons. He is extremely entertaining to watch. Is he good? Bad? He assists both sides off and on, so you decide when you watch.

Why you DONT recommend it: Hunter x Hunter and suck don't belong in the same universe. It rules, trust me.

Where to get it: Toriyamaworld.com has the first 16 volumes. Use animesuki.com to find all 62 series eps and all 3 OVAs.

Author's other Works: Most notably, Yu Yu Hakusho.

That's all I guess. Check it out.

18. Kimun* Not a Baker.

Manga's Name:- Rurouni Kenshin
    Author's Name:- Nobuhiro Watsuki
    No. Of Volumes:- 28
    Licesened:- Yes, Licesened by Viz
    Genre:- Historical, Action, Shonen,
    Target Audience:- 13+ Just your average Shonen audience
    Synposis:- Himura Kenshin is a wandering Rurouni who is searching for a way to atone for his sins during the Bakumatsu and "In the 11th year of Meiji, in the middle of Tokyo, this tale begins...".
    Why you recommend it:- It's mixes history, battles, and romantic comedy. This series is a prime example of a Shonen series. (Also a great manga to show to friends who haven't been introduce to anime.) Watchers of the television series must at least read the third arc which was never animated, and truely ends the Kenshin series.
    Why you DONT recommend it:- Shonen series are long.. and the first arc isn't too great compared to the Kyoto and Jinchuu Arcs.
    Where to get it:- Viz store- The Tenten FC: Watch Out for the Rain of Steel . *cough*cough* entire series- 006
    Author's other Works:- Gun Blaze West, Busou Renkin, various One Shots.
    Extra Note: The Author of One Piece was at one time working for Watsuki during the writing of Ruroken.

19. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Manga's Name:- I"s.
    Author's Name:- Masakazu Katsura.
    No. Of Volumes:- 15 volumes.
    Genre:- Shojo
    Target Audience:- I think 16+ will do, contains ecchiness and a tad bit of hentai (very rarely)
    Synposis:- I's is the story of Ichitaka and his attempt to find love. The title for the manga comes from the title of its three main characters- Ichitaka, Itsuki, and Iori. Ichitaka is in love with Iori who is a model that goes to Ichitaka's high school. However, because of past events, Ichitaka is unable to confess his love for Iori. When Iori and Ichitaka are paired up for a project, however, Ichitaka views this as his chance to get closer to Iori. During the project Ichitaka is extremely nervous around Iori, but Iori begins to realize how sweet and caring Ichitaka really is. Right as things seem to be going Ichitaka's way, Ichitaka's old girlfriend from grade school shows up and her name is Itsuki. Even though she keeps it reveled, Itsuki's purpose for coming back is to get Ichitaka back. How will Ichitaka handle this situation?

The story follows Ichitaka and friends throughout their entire high school life and into their college/adult lives. Itchitaka will make many new friends and most of those friends help Ichitaka out in his quest to be with Iori. Ichitaka's quest for love takes many twists and turns, but the question is still the same, in the end will Ichitaka end up with Iori.

Why I recommend it:- This is probably onefavorite Manga of all time and right off the bat I recommend it to all. This manga leaves you cheering for Ichitaka, but never sure of what will happen. A lot like Video Girl Ai, right when you think everything is going to work out, something news pops up.

The character development is great in the series and you feel as if you know each of the characters. By the end of the manga you will probably wish there was more to it, that is how good it was.

The overall story is extremely interesting and never is boring, somthing new is always happening. As I said, that story and character development is great. The artwork of the manga is also very good and enjoyable to look at. One thing that I found I liked about this anime is that it didn't end when the goal was achieved. Even when Ichitaka got what he wanted, the series kept going on and showed Ichitaka's hardships of keeping his goal and living with it.

Where to get it:- SasukeXHinata C2 group and Zombie Powder
    Author's other Works:- Vedio Girl Ai, DNA^2

20. eternally Member #623

Manga's Name:- Full Moon wo Sagashite (Searching for the full moon)
    Author's Name:- Arina Tanemura
    No. Of Volumes:- 7
    Licesened:- Nope
    Genre:- Shoujo
    Target Audience:- 12+ some mild violence, a lot of talk about death, suicide.
    Synposis:- 12 year old Kouyama Mitsuki has always dreamed of being a singer. She and her childhood friend Eichi made a promise to both chase their dreams before he left for America 2 years ago. However, she has throat cancer so not only is it painful for her to sing, it is also dangerous. She is watched over by an overprotective grandmother who insists on giving her throat surgery, but she refuses to risk losing her voice, because of the promise she made with Eichi. Eichi, however, hasn't contacted her at all in those 2 years. One day, she meets two shinigami who inform her that she has just one year left to live. Instead of becoming scared of death, Mitsuki is even more determined to achieve her dream. The male shinigami, Takuto, uses his powers to turn her into a healthy 16 year old, giving her a chance to chase her dreams and reach Eichi across the sea with her voice...
    Why you recommend it:- First of all...beauuuutiifulll drawings! Very detailed, just..gorgeous. *_* Very sweet, emotional story about chasing dreams. Great character development too - each character has a very complicated past that accounts for his/her personality, full of angst and tangling romances. :p
    Why you DONT recommend it:- Kinda girly..no..very girly. xD
    Where to get it:- The Tenten FC: Watch Out for the Rain of Steel or IRC at #selene_scans@irc.irchighway.net or watch the anime (not as good): Zombie Powder
    Author's other Works:- Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne...very similar in drawing style.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  21. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Manga's Name:- MONSTER
    Author's Name:- Naoki Urasawa
    No. Of Volumes:- 18
    Licesened:- Not at the moment, but there are rumors its going to be soon.
    Genre:- shonen psychological thriller.
    Target Audience:- 14+ some mild violence, a lot of talk about death, suicide.
    Synposis:- Dr. Tenma is a Japanese man working in Germany. He has it all, incredible medical skill, a great job, a beautiful fiancee. He becomes disillusioned with the hospital politics though, when one day he's ordered to forgo operating on a critically injured man in favor of someone who was more famous. After this point, he decides he will do what he thinks is right, regardless of politics.
    One day, a young boy and his younger sister were brought in. The boy had a bullet in his head, an operation that the doctor knows only he is capable of completing successfully. But soon after a politician was brought to the hospital and the high ups in the hospital want Dr. Tenma to leave the boy to operate on the politician. Dr. Tenma decides that he'll do what's right and save the young boy's life.
    The young boy's operation was a success, but the surgeons operating on the politician fail, prompting his life to fall apart. Dr. Tenma is passed over for a promotion and his fiancee becomes cold to him and eventually leaves him.
    But soon after, strange murders begin to occur, ones that benefit Dr. Tenma greatly and though he becomes the #1 suspect, they have no evidence against him. But it seems that the boy whose life he saved has a hand in things, and that he is much more than he seems...

Why I reccomend it:- one of my fav. manga's of all time, and the first work that introduced me to the genious Naoki Urasawa. This is awonderful manag with a great story and will surely keep your eyes glued to the screen waiting for the next twist to occur. Urasawa is a masterful story teller, if you enjoy a manag that will make you think (example Death note) i suggest you pick this one up.
    Where toget it:- Synopsis and Download Here or for online viewingLink removed. Also the anime can be found in Link removed
    Author's other Works:- 20th Century Boys, Pinapple Army, Happy! and Pluto.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  22. Fullmetal Moderator

Manga's Name: Aishiteruze Baby
    Author's Name: Maki Yoko
    No. Of Volumes: There are 6 in Japan at the moment, 4 of the volumes have been scanlated.
    Licesened:no.
    Genre:Shojo
    Target Audience: believe its 8+. it starts of as a cutesy story plot but also has some dark scenes in it
    eg. Sakashita Miki throwing a knife at her dad (censored in the anime, she has a keychain instead)
    Synposis:This is a really cute and hilarious manga about a handsome playboy, Kippei, who suddenly finds himself being the caretaker of his cute little 5 year old cousin, Yuzuyu. She has come to live with them due to some family problems and Kippei must learn how to deal with this huge responsibility ^^ *hehehehe* It's a must read for shoujo fans! XD
    - (source, DragonVoice's site)
    Why you recommend it: well for those that have a "heart!" and isn't into VIOLENT ANIMES/MANGAS (sick sick people)
    all the time then this is a good manga for you. Has a good storyline, excellent character development,
    and has a well played out romanatic scenes also.
    Where to get it: here
    WARNING! this scanlation group changes their site from time to time so best chance to stay updated
    is to check out their IRC channel #dragonvoice@irc.irchighway.net
    Author's other Works: Unknown at this point

23. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Manga's Name: National Quiz.
    Author's Name: Reiichi Sugimoto + Shinkichi Katoh.
    No. Of Volumes: 4 Volumes.
    Genre:shonen I guess.
    Target Audience: 16+. Its an okay for all ages, but i believe you have to have a certain degree of maturity to understand the nature of the political message the manag tries to send.
    Synposis:In a different world than the one we live in, a world where Japan is the lone superpower of the world, there is a wildly popular game show called the National Quiz. Every night, people dreaming of riches, fame, vengeance and happiness compete on the show, for the chance to be granted a wish, any wish they have: the National Quiz has the power to make your wildest dreams come true. It also has the ability, if you lose, to make your life a living hell.

This is the story of K-i K-ichi (aka prisoner KK47331), a former actor-turned losing National Quiz contestant-turned wildly popular host of the show, and the people and events surrounding him.
    Why you recommend it: If you love polictial Satiree this is the mnaga for you, its hilarious, smart nad delivers its message with out boring you. Though the artwork mght not appeal to many ppl , i believe its simply perfect for the manga and story.
    Where to get it: Synopsis and Download Here

Author's other Works: Unknown at this point[/QUOTE]

24. Leathie Sexie Nin

Manga's Name:- MARS
    Author's Name:- Fuyumi Soryo
    No. Of Volumes:- 15+ an Epilogue Volume
    Licesened:- Tokyo Poop (err.. pop)
    Genre:- Shojo Romance
    Target Audience:- Females 15+ some violence, blood, angst, suicide, rape, and SEX.
    Synposis:- Kira and Rei are two high school students. Kira is a quiet art student and Rei is loud obnoxious and loves to race motorcycles, he is also a ladies man. These two unexpectedly come together and as the series goes on they support eachother through thier times of turmoil.
    Why you recommend it:- God I loved the story!!!! There was just enough romance plus crazy angsty teenager crap and death going on in the novels to get me hooked and keep on reading it. Its probably one of the best that Tokyo pop has ever put out.
    Why you DONT recommend it:- F the don't recommend there is nothing bad about this series!
    Where to get it:- Borders or Barnes and Noble also Link removed should have it.
    Author's other Works:- As far as I know she doesnt have any other work but if she does will someone plz let me know.

25. seta101 Nemui-Jounin

Manga's Name: Love Hina
    Author's Name: Akamatsu Ken
    No. Of Volumes: 14
    Licesened: Tokyo Pop
    Genre:- comedy/romance
    Target Audience:16+ Comical Violence, partial nudity, language
    Synopsis: Keitaro is a high school graduate who's failed to get into prestigious Tokyo University, twice. He's determined to get in though, to fufill a promise to a girl he met 15 years ago. After his parents kick him out, he decides to ask his grandmother to stay at her inn. Upon arrival, he finds out (painfully) that the inn has turned into a girl's dorm, the Hinata House.
    Why you recommend it: 100% hilarity. Nonstop comedy, mixed in with the right amounts of romance and action. If you're a fan of anime and/or manga, and popular culture, this manga is chock full of references to both.
    Why you DONT recommend it: N/A
    Where to get it: Borders, Amazon.com, possibly Link removed.
    Author's other Works: Ken Akamatsu is also the creator of A.I. Love You, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2004
  26. raphous Pirate King !

Manga's Name: Bremen.
    Author's Name: Umezawa Haruto.
    No. Of Volumes: 9 Volumes.
    Genre:ShonenI guess.
    Target Audience: 12+ Some scenes are kinda violent or sexually explicit
    Synposis: This is the story of Romie Katsuga, young guy who's looking for his "freedom", and this freedom he'll find in creating a rock'n'roll music group, with one guitar player he met on the road, one transvestite drum player, and an old hardcore bass player. They're forming the group "Bremen", and you can follow their steps to celebrity and success.
    Why you recommend it: this manga is all about freedom of mind, and freedom of acts, about "Rock" spirit. I liked it because it's simple, it's relaxing when you're out of a hard day of work, and the characters are incredibly nice to watch. You'll find this manga funny, and entertaining, besides... 9 volumes is not a big amount of money to spend.
    Where to get it: In manga shops, like all of them
    Author's other Works: Unknown at this point

27. Hyuugan_Shadow New Member

This would of been right.. if he stated the anime the manga is currently,

Manga Name: Samurai Deeper Kyo.
    Author's Name: Akimine Kamijyo.
    No. of volumes: So far 8 or 9
    Lisenced: Yes.
    Genre: Shonen.
    Targeted Audience: 16+.
    Synposis: It is 1604, four years after the Battle of Sekigahara, perhaps Japan's greatest civil war. The people try to recover from its aftermath and enjoy the newly attained peace. Amid such times Yuya Shiina, a roughneck girl who earns money by capturing outlaws, mistakes a roaming and peace-loving medicine seller Mibu Kyoshiro for the legendary wanted man "Onime-no-Kyo." But she soon realizes that she is wrong when she sees that Kyoshiro is just a weakling. Nevertheless, she ends up capturing Kyoshiro anyway -- he is wanted for running off without paying for a meal. As they travel together Kyoshiro tries to help Yuya catch another wanted criminal. In the process Kyoshiro is cornered. Then he mumbles, "Here he comes," and the color of his eyes turn a deep red. He pulls out his sword which he had never touched before and suddenly, Onime-no-Kyo, the legendary samurai said to have killed one thousand men with this sword, is standing there.

Kyoshiro and Kyo: Two spirits in one body. Yuya is looking for a "man with a Scar on his back" who killed her older brother. The two head to Edo together. One after another, samurai come after Onime-no-Kyo. Why do Kyoshiro and Kyo share the same body? Historical figures, such as Tokugawa Ieyasu and Oda Nobunaga, emerge in the story and the mystery of the two souls is gradually resolved.
    Why you recommend it: Nice story line, lovely characters, plus intriguing plots and twists. Nice Brutality in some volumes.
    Where to get it: Barnes & Noble
    Author's other works: I think none.

28. AsanoHa Sex and Violence

Manga's Name:- Shaman King
    Author's Name:- Hiroyuki Takei
    No. Of Volumes:- 32
    Status:- Complete for now but he may start publishing again later
    Licesened:- It's been licensed in America I know that, but the US version is not worth reading unless you're really desperate.
    Genre:- Shonen I guess. Supernatural(Ghosts and Spirits)
    Target Audience:- 12+
    Synposis:- Shamans are people who link this world with the next. They can interact with Ghosts of those long dead and even the spirits present in nature. Most shamans have one or more primary spirit or mochirei that they work and fight with and who is their eternal partner. Yoh Asakura is a particularly talented Shaman from rural Japan who comes to Tokyo to find a mochirei (which he does in the samurai named Amidamaru) and to train for the Shaman Fight, which happens every 500 years. The Shaman Fight is a tournament that decides who will be Shaman King. The Shaman King is the head of the shaman community and gets to have the Grand Spirits (pretty much God) as their mochirei. Yoh wants to be Shaman King for two reasons: one so he can lay around all day and listen to music and two so that he can make sure that everyone can have a peaceful life. Shaman King is about the adventures of Yoh and his Shaman friends as they compete with and against eachother in the Shaman Fight. The Shaman King story takes places between 1998 and 2001.
    Why you recommend it:- Shaman King deals with some really deep philisophical issues. What is good and evil? Can someone be all good or all evil? What is justice? Who decides? I love that Mankin makes you think hard about what's going on while entertaining the hell out of you. Yoh's personality is so differant than the typical shonen main character. He never ever gets worked up over anything unless he is forced to and he has an inherint belief that everyone is basically a good person, which I find refreshing from the constant definitive good versus defintive evil crap. I'm super pissed it got cancelled in the middle of the climactic ending, but I have hope that he'll be able to finish the series sometime later
    Where to get it:- Impossible to find consistent scanslanslations, but it's pretty easy to find scans here and there. You're better off looking in french or chinese sites though, because all the english speaking webmasters out there got lazy updating their sites long ago. UPDATE: Direct Manga has uploaded Mankin scanslations up through chapter 131.
    Author's other Works:- Nothing really big. He did a semi-annual spin off of Mankin, called Funbari no Uta, that takes place 7 years after the end of the Shaman Fight. Takei's favorite work was actually a manga about Budhism called Butsu Zone. Unfortunately for him Butsu Zone only lasted three volumes because it was too religious, but Takei reincarnated it's themes and some of it's characters into Shaman King. Exoticar was a short manga story Takei injected into the second half of the 27th volume of Shaman King because he loves exotic cars. Shaman King is by far his best and most popular series however.

This is what really got me into manga! Please read this series wherever you can find it or atleast try to find some decent summaries.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  29. wingsofevil Banned

MANGA'S NAME:- Kill Me Kiss Me
    AUTHOR'S NAME:- Lee Young Yuu
    No. Of Volumes:- 5 volumes
    Liscensed:- it's licensed here but i dunno if it's the original version or the american version.
    Genre:- action/romance/comedy
    Target Audience:- T-OT
    Synopsis:- it's about 2 identical cousins named Jung-Woo and Tae. They both live in an environment with gangs and school bullies. Tae and Jung-Woo both get involved in love and romance. buy it...its a really good series.
    Why You Reccommend it:- its much different than any other mangas i've ever seen. it copes with everyday life and if your getting bored with the same old plot line you might see in many mangas than i reccommend to try this manga out.
    Where To Get It:- I got mine at suncoast but try your store that you buy manga from to see if they have it.
    Author's other Works:- This is his first series that he has come out with. He's new.

Do i get a reputation point for doing this? =D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  30. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

*nods head* yuo do i just repped you :)