1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for Graphic of the Week 50 -- Contest Central Banner is live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Voting for Photograph of the Week 54 -- Landscapes is also live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Entries for Graphic of the Week 51 -- Dragon Avatars are open! Click here to check it out!

Entries for Photograph of the Week 55 -- Freestyle are open! Click here to check it out!

-- Contest Central Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Throw the dice to win Golden Sparkles for a month. Check this thread.

Dismiss Notice

The English Voices or the Japanese Voices?

Discussion in 'Fullmetal Alchemist' started by Shishou, May 9, 2005.

Which voices fit the characters best? English or Japanese?

1. English

106 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Japanese

200 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. They are both really good, and I cannot decide.

88 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Shishou Under this eyepatch is an eye!

Now this, to me is a first.

I have been watching FMA in japanese, and let me tell ya... I feel for the first time, the english dub voices are superior to the japanese voices.

FMA Dubbed seems to have one of the best voice cast, that I have ever heard. And I have seen tons of anime in my time. The only voice I don't like better is Al's... His English voice is annoying.

But otherwise, nearly every voice seems to be better in english, and looks like it fits the character better.

Does anyone else agree? And please don't be Dub haters in this topic, this is simply aboot how their voices sound, and which fits them best.

Tags:
  2. theoneandonly is back to his origin

yeah for me the Japanese voices is better than english voices. But a godd job dubbing it in english

3. metronomy Active Member

The only dubbed voices i really like so far are that in kenshin... However dont get me wrong FMA does a pretty decent job

4. Procyon Loveless

Heh, I liked 'em.
    As long as things aren't butchered, I'm a dub fan.

5. Gaia DEIDARA IS ALIVE!!!!

The english voices are not bad but I prefer the japanese cast

6. Edward Elric Hagane no renkinjutsushi

the Japanese voice
    I love the voice of Ed (the same of Temari :p)

7. TheVileOne Peace Loving-nin

The voice actors seem to keep in spirit of the characters and I've enjoyed just about all of them so far. Gluttony is the only one I'm somewhat annoyed with. But its a strong English dubbing so far IMHO.

8. otakufan Temari Lover

I'm a big fan of the FMA dub... They're doing an excellent job in my opinion.

However, overall, the Japanese audio just sounds slightly better to me.

9. TheVileOne Peace Loving-nin

I do prefer Gluttony's Japanese voice for the most part. Eric Vale's Kimblee is pretty awesome I think. And Dameon Clarke's Scar.

10. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

I think it depends on which you see first for pretty much just about every anime I think. I watched the first 2 episodes on AS and then downloaded the rest. I think the voices for both are good except for Roy's english voice and Winry's voice.

11. jungwah8 I like penguins

I prefer the Japanese voices. Maybe because (as MasterHiko ^ said) I watched FMA with the Japanese dubbing first. The English dub though, wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. They did a pretty good job.

12. Freija Treasures

the original is always the best ;)

13. Racheal Ethereal Dream's Colourist

I defiantly prefer the Japanese audio, but it might be because I watched it first.

The english isn't bad though, Winry's fits well
    (<-- only seen one episode of the dub so far)

14. triggerc Member

most of the times, the Japanese voice cast will always be better unless they completely butcher the voice acting. because that in Japan, they have VA's that take voice lessons, singing lessons, and have being training and dubbing for many years, they are also considered celebrities, while here we have people that get paid like a few grand a year, and have not much motivation. also, most of the times english voices sound forced or extremely bland. so Japanese VA all the way.

15. Cao Ren It..it...It's...Lu Bu!!

I like'm both. Not matter what its a great show. Thats all what really matters doesn't it?

16. Ryozen New Member

You must remember, that the only reason that many people prefer the Japanese iits that they cannot tell if it sounds corny or not, which I am perfectly fine with. If you watch Beck, you'll see that the English parts are pretty butchered, but since most Japanese can not speak english that well (and are bombarded by 'Engrish' on all sides) they think that it sounds natural, yet we can pick out all the little errors here and there throughout the series.

Back to the topic at hand, I think I'll have to give the nod to Japanese voices... just because I really loathe Al's voice...

17. Kyuubi_Xx She's kinda crazy...

So far, they've done an excellent job with the dub. The voices fit the characters very well - however, I do prefer the Japanese voices over the dub ones, simply because that's what I'm used to. It's what I heard first, so that's what I'll stick with.

18. justafase They called him 'Astro Man'

I thought the dub was crap personally. Especially Al's VA, he sounds like Mickey Mouse if Mickey didn't have any emotions.

19. Jarlax The Lightning Alchemist

Ugh, no contest. The Japanese VAs are definatly better, although the dub could have been a lot worse.

20. TheVileOne Peace Loving-nin

I'm an actor, and I assure you even voice actors have just as much training and more as the Japanese seiyuu. Please don't belittle them in such a manner.

I think if more people would pay attention, English dubs are a lot better than they used to be, they've improved quite well over the years. There's a lot of bad English dubbings for anime sure. But I've also noticed a lot more quality ones as well.

21. kungpaopnda Panda Kung-Fu Generation

the only good dubbing that has astonished me thusfar is for the anime Cowboy Bebop, other then that i truly hate watching anime in english

22. BlueCheese 希望

I think a lot of it has to do with which you hear first. If you watch the entire series with the Japanese voices then you associate the voice with that character. Then when you hear a different voice it just sounds wrong. Imagine if a friend's voice suddenly changed like that, you would probably find it disturbing and difficult to get used to.

23. Hagane no Renkinjutsushi Nigga, fuck yo couch!

I have never heard the English voices but I can tell they suck so Japanese voices all the way!

24. LightningElemental Are sins...ever forgiven?

Just curious how you can tell the English voices suck if you've never heard them? :blink

Personally, I favor the English version. I think each actor fits the character perfectly, especially Vic as Edward. I heard someone say this about Lust's voice, and I think it fits my opinion of English Ed's: "...a voice I could lick right off the speakers."

25. greymeister New Member

Well I think Hiko Seijiro hit the nail on the head, whatever you're used to is what you're going to prefer. I know some people will just out and out say they hate English dubs, and I think that's mostly becuase they don't understand Japanese and think the voices sound cool regardless of what they're actual meaning is. That's fine and all, I just think it's a piss poor thing to immediately say that the English voice acting isn't good because "suBz rul3z!#" or whatever.

Personally, I voted the English voices. First #1 the Elrick brothers. Althought the female voice actress for Kenshin fit the role pretty well, I prefer the less feminine Edward that the english actor portrays. Also, Alphonse sounds like mickey mouse down in a well from the Japanese audio. Of course the biggest winner in my opinion is Dameon Clarke doing Scar. Just like in Yu-Yu Hakusho's Toguro, he does a superb job. Other voices all around are done fairly well, but Winry's screech seems more painful in Japanese for some reason.

I agree many times the Japanese voices are better, but I have to say in some cases, this one included, I prefer the English characters. However, barring people who blatantly discriminate against English actors in Anime, I think it does matter in which audio you got your first impression of the characters, and I saw it on adult swim first.

One exception to that rule so far was Rurouni Kenshin, the Japanese voices were just so damn good hehe

26. Capt. Rosuko Iwa's Super Tsuchikage

FMA has very good english Va's. I'm quite impressed with the job that was done on it. Funimation did it no? Quite a step up from DBGT and their previous jobs. If only all american anime were done so well. ROD, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo are all good examples of how to voice act an anime.

27. Aidire Member

I can't decide ;_;

I saw the dub first, so I am more accustomed to the english voice actors. However, after getting the first DVD, I also enjoy the Japanese voice actors.

Now, when it comes to Naruto, I don't think I'll get used to the dub (not that I'm going to hate it, because I'm not a dub hater).

28. Black Swan Active Member

though the english dub of fma is surprisingly pretty good i still prefer the japanese only b/c in the original anime the voice actors seem to me to convey more emotion and depict those emotions more acuratly imo.

29. Friend Professional Misanthrope

I watched a few episodes of the Dub first and then watched the rest of the series in the subs. Even though you usually like the first one you hear, I really enjoyed the orginal voices better. Now when I watch it on adult swim it really isn't the same. They do a great job though.

30. faults Healing Vision

Japanese sounds so much better. The English voices too me don't fit the characters.