1. cafecontest
    Voting is live in the Cafe Banner Contest!
    Poll closes on Sep 20, 2020 at 1:37 AM ET.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Eyes Of Konoha: Theory on the Sharingan and Byakugan. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Naruto Theories' started by Ulquiorra Schiffer, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Ulquiorra Schiffer

OK. I just want to see people's opinions on this matter. I belive that the tomes in Sharingan each have a different use. For example. One tome, slows down movement and allows the user to copy movement. Upon mastering the Sharingan, the user is able to copy handseals as Kakashi did against Zabuza and predict movement before it happens as Sasuke does in the Valley of the End. The second tome gives the user a chakra sense of sorts. Basically what Sasuke does in the Forest of Death. It allows the user to see the chakra signature of a person. When Sasuke uses this in the Forest of Death it shows him that none of the Rain nins are there and that Naruto is fighting Bunshins. This would also explain how Itachi knew that Sasuke was behind him when he and Kisame went to capture Naruto. The third tome allows the user to better control, see through, and counter Genjutsu. This is compareable to when Itachi counters Kurenai's Genjutsu when he and Kisame return to Konoha. Kakashi also used something like this when he was in Tsukuyomi. I think Kakashi couldn't break Tsukuyomi because Mangekyou Sharingan is a higher level of Sharingan, and therefore casts obviously stronger Genjutsu.
    That's all on Sharingan.

Byakugan sort of ties in with this. If one tome of the Sharingan gives the user a chakra sense then that would explain why it is theorized that Sharingan comes from Byakugan. The Sharingan has other special traits that make it stand out. This is why, if the Hyuugas and Uchihas are realated, the chakra sense is dulled from the Byakugan. Byakugan allows the user to view the Tenketsus and chakra circulatory system. If the Sharingan could do that it would never be defeated. So to make the Sharingan different from the Byakugan, it has the abilities I listed above. Sharingan and Byakugan are similar because they both have a chakra sense. It is more refined in the Byakugan because that is Byakugan's main purpose. Sharingan's main purpose is different. Thus the dulling of the chakra sense. When Byakugan is active, vains form around the eyes. Why is that? I think that it's the constant chakra pumped to the eyes to maintain it's abilities. But if that's the case why doesn't Sharingan have the same vains? They both require a constant feed of chakra to keep them active. But why does one show vains, and the other doesn't? My thought is that to have the Sharingan show vains would make it too apparent that the Sharingan is derived from Byakugan. I don't know how...Maybe a Hyuuga had an afair with an woman outside the clan. The child that was born did not have Byakugan but a weak Sharingan and the family was outcast. Possibly the defaint Hyuuga was slain and the mother escaped with the child and changes her name to avoid being sought out by the Hyuugas. Later on down the line two Uchiha cousins have a child and thus the true Sharingan is born. It keeps going like that until a somewhat large clan is born. The clan winds up in Konoha, and the Hyuuga's threaten war. So to avert a crisis, the current Hokage, creates a seperate village inside Konoha for the Uchiha clan. Thus, the Uchiha clan that Sasuke and Itachi were born into.

Now I know this seems farfetched but bear with me. This is my belief and I'm interested to hear opinions, comments, or suggestions. Just don't come here simply to flame this. I wouldn't go to you opinion and flame it....Even Constructive critisim is welcome.

-Uchih4it4chi

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Gaimanotaku

You describe the Sharingan pretty well. My major point of contention is going to be that if the Sharingan was just an accidental evolution of the Byakugan it'd be incredibly anticlimactic given the slow teasing out of its history and all the big secrets of the Uchiha shrine and the Mangekyou's development.

This to me shows that the Sharingan was a designed trait, whether something deliberately bred (oh boy, eugenics in a children's show. Wonderful.) or artificially induced and then breeding true.

All of the sharingan's flair ups, the development of the different tomoes under emotional stress and the awakening of the mangekyo mid-murder make me think that something beyond biology is involved here.

This is where things start getting a little fanfictiony and ridiculous, but this is my own take on Sasuke as a demon. What if Sasuke was never a Jinchuriku, specifically. What if the Uchiha found some way to split a youma's essence, dilute it, and carry it through the bloodline. Shades of Tekken and Advent Children. What if the entire Uchiha massacre was about concentrating that essence, and bringing it down to one Akatsuki member (now stronger) and one sacrificable Jinchuriku.

I know that became wild speculation pretty quick, but my whole point is that whatever the solution to the mystery is, it just feels as if it's going to be something expansive and wild.

3. Ulquiorra Schiffer

Well hey like I said I was looking for peoples opinions and giving mine. Thanks for posting and I really appreciate what you had to say. I'm going to rep you for even taking the time to read all of my post. Thanks.

4. iaido

A thread like this has been done before.

I personally like the theory that the sharingan's origins lie within a demon of some sort. When I think about it, Sasuke is supposed to be the foil to Naruto. Naruto has a demon, so Sasuke having a bloodline coming from a demon is a stretch but logical. The red eyes further support the theory.

I don't get how Kishimoto plans to explain the sharingan coming from the byakugan IF he decides to take this route. The Hyuugas are said to be Konoha's oldest and greatest clan, but Konoha isn't THAT old... It lasted what, 6 generations? For an Uchiha to spring off from the byakugan within 6 generations is ludicrous. It's about semantics; the Hyuugas could've been around before the founding of Konoha but it specifically stated that the Hyuugas were Konoha's oldest clan meaning that they were the first clan in the village, probably right from the start... That means the Uchihas came after the founding of Konoha. Like I said, it really doesn't make sense. I stress Konoha's oldest clan. You might say that the Uchihas were around before the founding of Konoha but that would make both clans the original clans of Konoha and hence, the two oldest clans of Konoha. Again, semantics. If Kishimoto said the clan with the longest lineage in Konoha or something to that effect, then it would make sense. It might just be a translation error, I don't know.

I don't like the idea of a Hyuuga and Uchina hybrid, that would just be stupid. Of course a sharingan user wouldn't have the same abilities of insight of that of the byakugan because that would pretty much make the Hyuugas worthless and the Uchihas unbeatable like you said.

5. Nara Twiggie

Interesting. Now I believe that the Sharingan is "descended" if you will from the Byakugan. The reason I think that the veins don't bulge from a sharingan user's eyes is that the powers of a sharingan are more distributed. Where the byakugan focuses all it's power to one use, the sharingan has the three tomes and even the mangekyou. This leads me to believe that the sharingan was a designed trait used from the breaking down and even distribution of the byakugan's power.

6. Ulquiorra Schiffer

I never said this had to happen in Konoha....And it's not like a clan like the Hyuugas just poped up overnight. The way I see it, the hyuugas were probably settled somewhere near Konoha. Then insert what I said about the defaint Hyuuga and his mistress. Later on down the line, after Konoha was formed and the Hyuugas were there, the Uchihas came and tried to settle in the village. Knowing of the past the Hyuugas threaten to start a war with the smaller Uchiha clan. The current Hokage, to avoid a crisis, seperates the Uchihas from the rest of Konoha. The Hyuugas agree to drop the ideas of war if the Uchihas are not part of Konoha and live in the Uchiha Village. This would explain why Fugaku was always talking about strengthening the relationship with Konoha.

7. kapsi

Why are these black spots called tomoes?

8. uncle jafuncle

It's probably the Japanese word for "spot" or "dot" or "comma" or something. Sorry if that wasn't helpful in the least.

9. metalanime

Or it could just be that each tomoe is 1. Ninjustu, 2. taijutsu, 3. genjutsu. for both offense and defense. It could just be the eye as a whole. Regardless, Itachi would have known of sasukes presence, skilled ninjas like kakashi pick up presence by sound, vibrations and changes in the air, smell, heartbeat, breathing and just picking up on someones killer intent, like how kakashi detected gaara.

What I used to think was because there are more pupils, the eye would naturally receive more information due to refracting light, enough that a person could actually see the normally invisible light created by chakra, as light itself is energy, chakra would emit some. As far as movement prediction, the user of sharingan again sees in so much detail that whenever a slight movement is made the muscles used are seen as the energy, or the motion itself flows into them making the speed and direction obvious and the eyes being linked to the brain might cause the pre image as well as implant the image into the users memory, like a photographic memory, instantly recording everything it sees. Then the brain just ties in the exact forms and functions recorded into the rest of the body.

10. ShounenSuki

Tomoe (巴) is the Japanese word for a symbol resembling a comma. Three commas in a circle (as in the Sharingan and Heaven Cursed Seal) are called Mitsudomoe (三つ巴)

And the plural of tomoe is tomoe, not tomoes

11. Ulquiorra Schiffer

That's a possiblity. I just thought I would share my opinion on the subject to see other people's ideas. This was basically just something that me and a friend of mine thought about and I decided to post it to see if anyone felt the same way as me. Personally, I like the idea of the Sharingan being derived from the Byakugan. It makes sense and it's been hinted on before. I don't know about the Hyuuga infedelity thing but I just thought that would be a cool twist. LOL... Anyways I was just expressing my thoughts on the subject and I'm still interested in hearing anything that anyone wants to share.

-Uchih4it4chi

12. Daenerys Stormborn Advisor

What if, long ago, a Hyuuga clan member was born with a different dojutsu from the rest of his clan (i.e. the Sharingan)? He went on to have descendents, who also had the Sharingan. Eventually, tensions between the two parts of the Hyuuga clan reached the point where an actual fight broke out, and to avoid a Konoha civil war, the Hokage at the time separated the "new" Hyuuga clan from the old, thus generating the Uchiha clan. Meanwhile, during the fight, one of the Uchihas killed his Hyuuga brother (or some other close relative), and ended up with the Mangekyou. The Uchihas realized how dangerous this secret was, so they locked it away in that hidden temple. And the Hyuugas, to avoid a similar internal fight in the future, created the branch family that would be completely loyal to the head family.
    That's just my theory, and it could be completely wrong...but I find what Kakashi said during the chuunin exam about the Sharingan having evolved from the Byakugan intriguing.

13. tanukibeast

they said in the manga that it was the first generation of the hyuuga clan that made the branch family and all the rules

14. wiggely

i believe that the sharingan just gets more powerful as more tomeos appear. its not like each tomoe is for ninjutsu or genjutsu. so as more appear the mastery of the sharingan over perdicting and copying such things becomes greater.

15. Blizzard chain

Well the byukagan requires ALOT of chakra feed to be able to see through solid objects and to be able to see almost 360 degrees