1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

The Fencing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Procyon, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Procyon Loveless

Okay, so does anyone here fence? I'm sort of interested in fencing, but my highschool doesn't have a team. I'll be able to participate in the next town over's team though. Does anyone know when fencing season is? To anyone else who fences, can you tell me what it's like? :tem

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
    Tags:
  2. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I used to practice fencing way back in the day and it's fantastic. Quite the rush really, with your opponent only few feet away from defeating you. The technical & foot movement aspects of a regular bout require a great deal of training and concentration, but it's quite easy to master as long as you remain vigilant in your training. If you enjoy dancing, fencing the perfect sport for you and vica versa.

If you want to find more clubs in your area, check this out. I highly reccomend it, Im quite sure you'll enjoy it ^.^

3. Kurairu Lords of Insufficient Light

Never liked fencing, too...I don't know, just never liked it at all.

4. Procyon Loveless

Awesome, Moe! :thumbs

It sounds really exciting! The way you describe things makes me really wanna start. ^_^

5. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Why so? It's loads of fun actually.

Giro, it's really awesome, when your in a bout, your mind shuts out your everything entirly. And the more bouts you're in, you'll get the feeling that you can actually see your opponents movement in slow motion. Very trippy :amuse

6. Haruka modkop

Hmm.. I never tried Fencing. When It was time I picked a sword art, I went the Kenjutsu/Kendo instead of Fencing for some reason. But Alot of my friends wanted to do Kendo also, So I did it to.
    This was before I knew anything about anime.

7. Procyon Loveless

That sounds amazing! You sound like you were pretty experienced with things. How long did you fence?

8. mightyiguana New Member

if your school does not have a team, you need to go the usfa website, and find where to fence in your state. I am sure your state has a local fencing club probably going to be in a big city. I am assuming you are american in this case. Another thing is go to the local university and see if the university has a local fencing club and see if you can join the club. I fenced in college. There is no season per se. Generally there are fencing tournaments between local clubs and university clubs. Then of course there is the u.s fencing assoociation tournaments that have tournaments to determine nationally reconginised ranks and seating for the olympics. Fencing is a cool sport, but it is sport that requires an enormous concentration and precise technique. It is also lends itself to thinking stragetically. Some would call fencing physical chess.

9. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Not that experienced really XD . I just practiced it for about a year or so.

Bingo. There's an entire arsenal of stances to make use of, really enhances your posture and reflexes.

10. Procyon Loveless

Is it expensive to get started?

11. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I'm not sure how it works in the USA and thigns might differ from club to club. But I think all that is needed is a memebership fee (which is an annual thing most of the time).

And oh, the wardrobe, I just checked ebay, New fencing jackets range from 26 to 39 dollars

12. Procyon Loveless

That's not bad. I was thinking of starting Kendo once. It totalled to be around $800 to get the equipment, not to mention weekly rides to New Haven. x___X

13. Yukimura k.fmgdf,m, impossible

I'm been fencing for a few months now, and I was wondering whether I should settle down on foil, sabre, or epee? I'm not very good, but I want to go compete quickly since I think learning from duels with more experienced people is better than learning in a class.

14. Moonlightshine Banned

i never tried fencing. but maybe someday. looks funny!

15. sel Agatha, This is Magnus

Ive fenced epee for about a year and really enjoy it :D

16. az0r Active Member

Never tried it Looks cool

17. Hagen (Inactive) Banned

Yeah. looks very cool. but all the equipment must be pretty expensive

18. PL0X I r spiderman.

The Unofficial Fencing Thread

Nyah. It's a bit expensive. $75 for a jacket, maybe $75 for pants as well, and around $50 for a helmet... hm... $30 for an underarm protector, $75 for shoes, $10 for socks, $10 for a glove, $75 for a lame, $150 for a foil... and these are, like, minimum prices. Professionals pay way more.

EDIT:
    'And oh, the wardrobe, I just checked ebay, New fencing jackets range from 26 to 39 dollars'
    o3o I've never seen them that cheap. I buy from my fencing club. I wouldn't trust eBay with this @_@

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  19. Redemption 乾杯

I used to Sabre when it was an exhibition sport for the olympics. Glad to see the women sweep the podium this Olympics. It completly shocked the fencing world which considers the US as a third world country in the sport. They got the bronze in the team as well.

20. Dream Brother Well-Known Member

Just started learning. Awesome sport -- love the stress on finesse, timing, speed and intelligence.

21. blackbird Sky High

Fenced for a few years in my early teens.
    It's a fun, fast and graceful sport though all the special clothing kind of makes you feel like some angelic bee-keeper.
    On the discussion of weapon selection, I preferred foil due to its size, looks and rule set.

Can't quite recall why I quit to be honest. Then again, at that age I had more important things to spend money on that custom made socks. ^^

22. Zanaya Kanizaby I live in gold i love Gold!:D

Maria is a fencing player!:nod But i want to know more about fencing can someone help me???:pimp :nod :lmao

23. Maria Ushiromiya Fanclub Ruler

Im taking lessons. I really like this sport. Can anyone tell me where i can watch fencing matches? Any channels or websites would be helpful!

also i read people asking how much its worth. Mine is only 80 a month and comes with everything.

24. Zanaya Kanizaby I live in gold i love Gold!:D

Hey can you tell me about fencing!

25. Maria Ushiromiya Fanclub Ruler

Tomorrow is my first fencing class! ANy tips?

26. Zanaya Kanizaby I live in gold i love Gold!:D

Cool i wish i can fence and i dont know any tips!:pimp :lmao :nod

27. Zanaya Kanizaby I live in gold i love Gold!:D

Lols when i saw the lmao thing i laugh alot his but fall off lols!!:lmao :pimp :nod

28. Dream Brother Well-Known Member

How did it go?

I've only had two classes in epee, so I'm in no position to give any tips, unfortunately. I just know that my teacher kept stressing that the wrist, forearm and blade should be one straight line, and that the tip of the blade should be pointed at around the level of the opponent's chest/collarbone. Also got advised to stand as angled to the side as possible, and when parrying, to avoid wide/exaggerated movements and instead be as small, simple and economical as possible.

29. Maria Ushiromiya Fanclub Ruler

great!! I won my first match 5-2. Kicked his but. But i cant control my pose very well do.

30. Zanaya Kanizaby I live in gold i love Gold!:D

Nice!!!I wish i can fence!!!:pimp :lmao :nod :para