1. Elusive Prizes Shop
    The Elusive Prizes shop has returned! Click here to start shopping!
    The shop is open from April 6th at 4pm UTC to April 10th at 4pm UTC..
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Advice The General Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by A. Waltz, Mar 18, 2020.

1. A. Waltz

ask for general advice on anything! it doesn't have to be about relationships, there's a separate thread for that.

Tags:
  2. A. Waltz

how the fuck do i get motivation to finish writing my final papers i am so mentally checked out w/ this whole coronavirus shit man

3. Canute87

there is life after corona

Rise above.

4. A. Waltz

but theyre saying we'll be like this for months... like.. what the fuck.. months... it all feels super fresh and new rn but... itll get old real quick.. what will we do then.. will ppl start to ignore quarantine laws and then just start going out again, making things worse again? but making everyone stay for like months.. our way of life just changed all of a sudden like that. didnt even get to say goodbye to my friends or teachers

5. Nep Nep

Catdank Faction:

Do you always allow things to sidetrack you? Are you really that motivated about what you're doing? Why are you even in college if you won't finish a measly paper?

6. Nep Nep

Catdank Faction:

There are way bigger problems, this is honestly small potatoes. This is gonna blow over and we'll likely develop a vaccine to make it a joke in the near future.

China itself is a much larger problem, the fact that basically the entire world is supporting their nasty government which gains more economical sway everyday, meaning they gain more power over the world and the ability to spread their practices widely.

America is getting close to either a revolution or a war at some point soon...

And hey, one day you're gonna die.

You can spend your days thinking about all that shit to little avail or you can just get on with your life and do what you're gonna do and unless that thing is starting a mass protest or something, you can kinda push the other stuff off for now. It's not relevant to you and your goals specifically.

Pay attention but don't be distracted. If you don't everything I've said could resolve itself and then cause you didn't finish your paper you'll have made no progress in your goals and hey if it does all go to chaos, maybe you'll be of some use in the aftermath, unless you're studying womens studies or something.

7. Jim

I would think a situation such as this would give you even more motivation :hm

8. UtahCrip

dont do it. writing papers is for nerds. you think you going to need it for real life? ive never used any of that in my day to day life.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Jim

10. Yamato

Flag:
    Argentina, United States

Trying to think of names for a male tan/reddish shiba inu pup I may be getting soon.
    So far my list of names include Brûlée, Natsu, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Toffee, Inoue, Flan.

11. Nep Nep

Catdank Faction:

Vulpix.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. A. Waltz

flan and brulee sound cute

brulee might sound a bit fancy or manly lol
    i feel like flan is cuter

13. A. Waltz

also,

Maple! like the maple leaf, kinda orange red in the fall:)

14. Gunners

It is more about discipline than motivation. Ultimately, it is hard to feel motivated about something that is stressful and unpleasant.

The best approach to take is to reach the realisation that you are going to put the effort in at some point. The next step is thinking about what you want from the effort you put in and the consequences of trying hard too late in the game.

Then it is a matter of planning and figuring out how you work best. I assume you are a full time student so your best bet is waking up early in the morning and putting in a few hours. If you can get a chunk of work done before 9am, what you do for the rest of the day feels like a bonus. I would complete paragraphs and then complete a game of freecell in between.

15. Gin

ok so

i've been out of work (by choice) for about 2.5 years now

graduated with my masters in computer science right before then, applied to a couple of jobs, didn't get them, kinda decided to say fuck you to the whole corporate world for a while, been working on developing my skills as an artist since

i'm super happy with the progress i've made, but i feel it's time to get back to taking getting a 'real' job that could easily financially support me seriously again

so my questions are

1. how do/have you guys motivated yourselves with self-training? i'm naturally rusty and need to get my skills back up to scratch and complete some recent work to show to prospective employers, don't have the imposing presence of grades looming over me to force me to meet deadlines, nor any other tangible motivator beyond the vague sense that "yes, i want this, i want to move forward again"

2. how much time would you recommend i spend training before applying for a new job? like i said, i have a masters and still obviously know how to code, but i want to be at my sharpest and have new work to show, but at the same time don't want to just leave this indefinitely, i'd rather set myself a goal in terms of months

preferable if there are some tech people who can answer this, maybe @sworder @Azure Ihrat

3. what are the best ways to seek out tech jobs, i'm aware of the main sites but they aren't too helpful, at least in my homwtown which is the only place i've looked so far, so any other suggestions? i've been introduced to my prior jobs via my university, an opportunity i no longer have, so yeah

ty guys :catsun

16. Island Moderator

Flag:
    United States

Allegedly, 70-80% of professional jobs are attained through networking.

A lot of times when jobs are posted on Monster or Indeed, the hiring manager already has a candidate in mind, and the posting is just a formality.

This isn't true in every situation, but if you're not networking with people in your field, you're missing a lot of opportunities. If you're fresh out of college with previous work experience in your field, the people to talk to would be your former classmates and professors. If you already have experience, networking with former coworkers is the way to go. Even if their company isn't hiring, they might know companies that are.

Or if you have nobody to network with, make your resume and cover letter shine. The better you can describe your own knowledge, skills, and abilities, the better off you are with getting a job.

And of naturally, you need to be able to do the stuff you say you can do. In tech jobs specifically, interviewers might ask you to show or explain how to do something, and you need to be prepared for that. You don't want to be the guy who says he knows how to do something and has nothing to say when an interviewer asks you to discuss your experiences with it.

As for only applying to places in your hometown, it depends on where you live. If you live in an urban/suburban area, you're probably fine restricting yourself like that, but if you live in the middle of nowhere, you might have to move if you want your dream job. On paper, the world is moving more towards remote positions, especially in tech, but we're not quite at the point where remote jobs grow on trees. You might have to compromise if you want a really good job in your field.

17. Azure Ihrat Retired Staff

ask yourself these questions:

- What kind of tech role do I want to fill? Software engineer? Data Analyst? Security professional?
    - What kind of company am I excited to work for? Software products? Tooling? Internet infrastructure?

ime it's been the case where i'm motivated to train for interviews because i can see myself in the role and i see training as a means to fill the gap between where i am and where i want to be.

if you don't answer these questions you kinda just have to go by sheer will, but that's also pretty normal. for some roles i just forced myself because rolling backwards isn't an option.

there is no recommended time. based on your career interests and the role you want to fill, google for resources on technical questions likely to be asked for such a role. train until you are satisfied with your knowledge.

general useful thing to brush up on:
    - implementation of algorithms!!!!
    - complexity theory/complexity analysis
    - data structures
    - whiteboard coding
    - software engineering patterns
    - unit and integration testing
    - continuous integration/continuous development
    - basic networking/OSI model
    - web service patterns

reflect on failed interviews and study for parts where you feel you are weak. they may happen and it doesn't mean you suck. the quicker you can recover from them the better. you need to use them to assess your technical shortfalls or reflect on the sort of place you could succeed at and what you are interested in changing if you're not a culture fit.

it helps to see interviews not as meritocratic gauges (they're really not) but as a game that you have to get good at to succeed. a lot of places have a set "interview structure". if there's a place you really, really want to work at, look up interview reviews on them on Glassdoor.com and make sure you're prepared for it.

if you're hellbent on a Big Tech job, they allow for multiple interview attempts and usually give great feedback on where you didn't do so well, and plenty of people get offers on their 3+ attempts at the same company.

you could try for remote jobs especially considering the current global state of affairs

misc important things that help differentiate you from the competition:

- it helps to demonstrate you have some niche technical knowledge or interest in something
    - ask thoughtful questions about the tech at the company
    - "culture fit" is a nebulous thing but it is real so be aware of that
    - if you're solving a technical challenge live like with whiteboarding, always make sure to be as communicative with your thought processes as possible

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Azure Ihrat Retired Staff

you're not wrong but you're also not super helpful here

19. Azure Ihrat Retired Staff

@Gin you would probably make a good lecturer

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. Azure Ihrat Retired Staff

oh ya and be prepared to answer questions like "describe a time where a project failed or didn't go as you expect and how you handled it"

they wanna hear shit like you gained valuable insight, mobilised resources to mitigate the risks, and took the learnings forward and managed expectations, shit like that

21. Island Moderator

Flag:
    United States

Most of my clients are looking for warehouse or construction work, so my experience with tech jobs and hiring practices in the tech industry is limited.

22. Prokopton

Flag:
    England
    A developer role is going to be hard in your situation. Presumably you haven’t been doing any relevant work in that time and now also have nothing to show for recent experience (projects etc).

If you haven’t been doing any developing at all in the past 2.5 years and have money to spare and are bent on a developer job, you could consider a bootcamp – though you’re overqualified with a CS background it will provide you with a scheduled structure to brush up on skills again.

Otherwise you’re going to have to brush on all those things Azure mentioned. You need to build a portfolio site and it needs to be full of projects if you want a good shot at a developer role (particularly in the bigger companies).

Start contributing to github – working on opensource projects is a great way to help brush up on those skills.

If you want to know what’s expected of current developers in whatever role you prefer it’s a good idea to start going to tech-meet ups (this will also provide an opportunity to network on some occasions).

To be frank with you if you’ve been out of any sort of development for 2.5 years it’s going to be pretty challenging to get a developer role especially if you haven’t worked a significant amount of time in a developer role previously (which I’m assuming you haven’t if you left tech after the masters).

To be honest in your situation I’d say consider working in corporate (accounting/finance). I don’t know how it works over where you live but in the UK accounting/tax is open to anyone and your quantitative background will be looked at favourably in accounting trainee roles. It’s also far easier and less stressful than tech jobs if you don’t mind the boredom of accounting.
    But having a CS degree won’t guarantee you a CS job if you’ve never worked in CS and have been out of it for 2.5 years, I’m afraid.

23. Gin

i most definitely would

helpful post though, ty

24. Azure Ihrat Retired Staff

Prokopton isn't wrong with the expected difficulty but as long as you're prepared for it it's not impossible to get a tech job imo

if you're finding industry experience is an obstruction, you can consider an internship at a Big Tech company as well, where you can get a lot of industry-relevant experience. the interviews tend to be more straightforward. if you and they find it is a good fit, you'll usually receive an offer at the end. they usually pay for your expenses and temporary relocation and such as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  25. sworder

I'd like to start off saying that getting a job is not hard if you have a masters. I'll speak about what worked for me.

1- I did Harvard's CS50 when first starting to learn to code. they have you do a cool stock trader app with a simple API. I put it on github.
    2- I did a Kaggle tutorial on recommendation systems and then made my own movie recommender off the IMDB public data sets.
    3- I did Amazon's own AWS tutorials to deploy a website on AWS with their own version of continuous integration and continuous deployment.

I did some other smaller stuff with different languages and some other things while in college but as you can see, as long as you have some decent stuff on your resume that just about anyone can do, at least some companies will offer you interviews. The more depth or breadth in your projects the easier it would be. Don't get discouraged btw, the first job is the hardest to get. Shotgun your resume to literally every company you can think of. It's not rare to get 3-5 interviews from 200 companies.

Interviews usually consist of asking basic language trivia which I hate but there's loads of resources out there, just look up the company on glassdoor and see what they say.

Now this is just for an average CS job. If you wanna come work here in the Bay Area, things are a lot harder. Every interview is gonna ask you algorithm and data structure questions. For that you're gonna have to grind until you can do medium questions within 30 minutes. This can take 3-6 months depending how many hours you dedicate per day. As you can expect, getting work here or in NYC is extremely competitive so it's hard to get in without experience.

After I had 1 year of experience, I got onsite interviews with Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, and Google. They are hiring aggressively. It's usually easier to get an interview with Big Tech than the smaller companies around here.

My advice - get literally any CS job you can get, grind leetcode (it will get exhausting and burn you out but it's worth it), start applying to the bay area within the 8-9 month mark. I started at $65K in my first job and I nearly quadrupled my compensation here in silicon valley. I don't say this to brag, I say this because I believe you are smart enough that you can make it too.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer. Good luck.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  26. sworder

also figured I might add, my very first phone interview was with Square. I was beyond excited at the time and I could solve problems at a decent pace, but I was not prepared for the pressure of interviewing

they gave me a binary search problem, it was a bit tricky so not a straightforward implementation but it was still an easy question. I froze, blanked out, and barely put out a working solution when the time ran out. obvs I did not get a second interview

don't underestimate the pressure of interviewing when you haven't done it enough, nerves get everyone

^this is excellent for practicing. you can also watch interviews which was amazing and you can see what's expected of you and the thought process expected to solve some of these questions

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  27. A. Waltz

@Mider T this article is for you or your girlfriend re: your posts in the other thread

o___O

28. Nep Nep

Catdank Faction:

That's absolutely fucking vile.

No it's not hot when a man wants you no matter what >.> shit's weird.

29. Nep Nep

Catdank Faction:

Oh god fuckkkkkk you @A. Waltz for posting that I CANNOT UNREAD THAT

30. Mider T

Flag:
    United States

Wait what?:lmao

This article is hilarious though

"There wasn’t a thing about her that he didn’t adore — including her extra-ripe, unwashed French pussy. "

" "

“I also enjoy cleaning her out after I’ve inside her. I went through a swinging phase with my ex-wife as well where I loved going down on her after she had fucked another man bareback. I didn’t want her to wash before I could,” he says. “