1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

4. Voting for Graphic of the Week 50 -- Contest Central Banner is live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Voting for Photograph of the Week 54 -- Landscapes is also live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Entries for Graphic of the Week 51 -- Dragon Avatars are open! Click here to check it out!

Entries for Photograph of the Week 55 -- Freestyle are open! Click here to check it out!

-- Contest Central Staff
    Dismiss Notice

The "Hero Society" doesn't make sense and is stupid

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Ye Xiu, Mar 14, 2019 at 3:03 PM.

1. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

:lbj
    Why would the government let go of a vital part of their executive forces and instead let them work in their own private companies? They are already paying for their training.
    What's the point of all these independent, private organizations when it just makes cooperation/sharing information harder?
    Walking around in an easily recognizable costume, being a celebrity and letting the whole world know about your powers is contra-productive when fighting villains, why do heroes as such exist in the first place when there's no tangible benefit?
    Wouldn't it be much more effective to have centralized task force in which the members act anonymous and can always be deployed in the most fitting composition for the operation?
    What's the point of all the dumb hero names?

I could go on, the point is: the whole setting of MHA is an insult to your intelligence if you think about it. Everything is just there because it has to be there to tell the story the author wanted, whether it makes sense or not is an afterthought

What are your thoughts on the setting of MHA?

Tags:
  2. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

"Everything is just there because it has to be there to tell the story the author wanted"
    I mean that's sort of a no shit moment :hestonpls. As far as anonymity and hero names and the effectiveness of it(I'm just going to lump them together because I'm too lazy) welcome to super hero comics:zaru. Though admittedly most just go with the names they're given. I think the reason given in Mha is brand recognition and popularity but otherwise :catshrug. Government and the rules are a bunch of idiots I guess, makes you wonder why no one talks about it tbh. As far as my thoughts on the setting though. It could be a lot better. People complain about HxH being too lore heavy sometimes but you got a better feel of what's going on with the world in a few chapters than Mha in 200. We get a lot of telling and not showing in regards to past events and their supposed repercussions which can be disappointing at times:pandaslam:. The current arc could be the stepping stone into the right direction though if they do it right but who knows:catshrug.

3. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

Look at how we as the public get distracted from government actions and idolize celebrities in the real world.

By having these heroes put on a show, act all mighty and get public recognition, it builds a better sense of ease with the public.

By calling them "heroes" you get a good image of them, due to the implications of that word. It builds a sense of safeness within a society where someone could have a power like nuclear farts sitting right next to you.

If they didn't have heroes and instead had super powered military patrolling the streets, the public would be much more on guard and suspicious of the government, and would be watching their choices 24/7 with nothing to distract them.

Just take a look at the reactions people have had towards Google helping China become more of an authoritarian country.

4. Ashi cool beanz

It’s the same principle as comic book heroes minus the whole double life secret identity schtick

Heroes as a profession makes sense, and them being held in high regard while also serving celebrity roles.... also makes sense

I’m sorry I really don’t see your point here, you do realize One Punch Man has the same thing right?

5. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

If it's the same as in comic books, the setting in comic books is also shit. I don't really read comics, but aren't you just wrong? Comics are usually set in a world very close to ours. It's not like everyone has superpowers like in MHA. The people who become heroes don't do it as a normal career choice and are trained by the government, but because they just happen to come into possession of their powers and are noble enough to use them for the greater good.

No, it doesn't. Why the hell would society suddenly need self-employed heroes instead of just super-powered cops just because everyone has some sort of special ability?

The setting in OPM, a gag manga, is less ridiculous tbh. :hisoka

6. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

You guys are just making excuses because you like the manga and want to believe it is quality :maybe

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

I wonder why villains never go after the heroes' families.

8. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

"Heroes and villains are two sides of the same coin" - Best Jeanist

If they weren't legally allowed to be heroes than they would be antiheroes/villains. Everyone has powers and no one is stopping people from acting like "heroes" except this corny shiit hero system and it's laws.

Chisaki is 100% correct that mha society has an illness and this manga only really has a handful of true heroes honestly.

9. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

Then why don't we ever see civilians act actually as heroes or the government employing forces who use their quirks? Why is it, that only the very few people who entered an exclusive course during high school (so it's really a one time chance to get that license) are using their quirks to combat crime?

Just replace the quirks with guns or just kitchen knifes, it's the same shit in the end. Something dangerous anyone can possess which can quite easily kill a human. :kermit

10. Ashi cool beanz

This is a spite thread. :hm

11. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

I only refer to the relevant group in question, but if you want to exaggerate a point to make an argument then go ahead

12. Fry J Vigilant

Ye Xiu does this weekly. I think he gets excited about every new chapter tbh.:blobaww

13. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

Sad part is I actually agreed with him on certain points :hestonpls. Ah well at least you know who not to talk to about comics."Comics are usually set in a world very close to ours" :kanyelul.

14. Fry J Vigilant

Man has never read a comic in his life. SMH. Just bullshitting. :whatthe

15. Ashi cool beanz

Mods are losing their edge then tbh

Posts like this prove that this is just bait and not really an attempt at a honest discussion

16. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

I don't mind being section banned if I am not allowed to voice a negative opinion
    Then actually address my points and not just dismiss them with nonsense like "it's the same in OPM and in comics"

17. Ashi cool beanz

You mentioned super-powered cops

Cops already have a negative stigma even in that universe, heroes are viewed in a different light. I will grant you that it is just a glorified crime fighting force at the end of the day, but the series mentions this a lot. The politics may not take the forefront sure, but it is mentioned in the series a ton
    This post literally addressed everything you wanted an answer for but you chose to ignore

Your bluster doesn’t hide the fact that you’re not really speaking with an informed or open mind

18. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

If I watch movies like Ironman, I don't see how life on Earth there is so different from that in our world, at the beginning at the very least.

19. Fry J Vigilant

:whatthe
    :whatthe:whatthe

Actually do some research before you start mouthing off.

20. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

"Siri, what is Vibranium?"

21. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

I will never read comics. They are boring imo. No wonder their sales are declining despite the massively popular movies (which actually pretty shit as well)

22. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

Has the existence of Vibranium impacted human society significantly at the beginning of the movie? :hm

23. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

Never thought there were so many people seriously believing MHA takes a realistic approach to how a society of people with superpowers would be like

24. Fry J Vigilant

:saitamapathy

Go off then weeaboo.

25. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

This is a manga and anime forum, nerd.

26. Fry J Vigilant

Yeah no shit dummy. See you next week. :saitama2

27. Ashi cool beanz

I don't think it's realistic, it's just a viable best case scenario

28. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

Please stop bro:hestonpls.
    Even counting the movies they're just now getting into all the cosmic stuff from the movies with phase 2(or whatever phase it is now in the movies). Not counting that no Wakanda isn't a real place and supersoldiers didn't exist in ww2 in the real world:gabe.

29. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I think you have to consider the setting for my hero academia. This is set after a worst case X-men scenario, riot and breakdown of the social fabric after super powers surface. Total government collapse, riots on the streets, crimes and gangs unchecked. Pro-mutant groups, anti-mutant groups, the old government trying to regain control, new gangs capitalizing on the chaos, old gangs becoming more active, you even have war lords like All For One. In the middle of all of this, the average citizen was getting fucked, which is what led to people donning costumes and fighting any crime they could do. Vigilantism is highly illegal but that doesn't stop these people.

Eventually the old governments regain control, draft new legislation. Mutants are still extremely new to the social fabric, anti-discrimination laws are built, for both normal humans and mutants, that is how you get laws like "don't use your powers in public with the proper license". The vigilante's also had to be dealt with, but these people would have been enormously popular, there would be no way in hell they could prosecute these people, they likely all were given pardons. With crime still rampant and the age of chaos still looming, contracting out heroes to provide city defense would help out with the work load, but the new heroes would be government regulated.

This is how you get people like Destro and the revolutionary army, they wanted freedom to use their god given powers without regulations or licenses and fought for that freedom, which going by recent chapters which was a very bloody and violent affiar. Its been 200 years since quirks first sprang up, they would have been a extremely small part of the population, but now they make up over 80% of the population and that number is going to climb higher.

Hero system itself turned out to be a huge capitalistic adventure, driving up the economy and helping reassure the public. However it wasn't till you get a super hero like All Might that crime rate actually dropped, this would have been over 150 years since the age of chaos, if the hero system was effective, scrapping it would not be in the governments best interest.

Everything in fiction is a bit contrived, Hori wanted a hero society so he made one.

30. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

Can anyone answer this