1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

The Importance of Music?

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by Ben Grimm, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

The only reason I even bothered to watch Black Panther was the soundtrack. I completely gave up on Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spider-man Homecoming and Ant-man due to the fact I am tired exhausted of Marvel movies. Black Panther is an excellent film, I am glad I got to see it and Killmonger is one of my favorite villains, but if it weren't for the soundtrack, I would not have even stepped foot into the theater. Only reason I even play Rocky 4 on my VCR was because of Hearts on Fire training montage. Even though Rocky 4 was trash, the sound track was beast.

How important is music to you when watching a film?

Tags:
  2. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

Peru
    Without music a part of the emotion you get from watching anything (film or tv) would be gone and/or lost. What stays with you as part of the experience is a piece of the soundtrack that played over a specific scene, regardless if it was an action or non-action sequence. The melody that was attached to the scene carries all the feelings you got while seeing whatever was unfolding and even if you are just listening to the OST without the movie, you'll get hit by the same wave.

Transformers are very forgettable movies but the OST, some of them at least, are quite awesome. Good OSTs can also elevate an average or bad movie into something else.

Music is awesome.

3. Mider Transylvania VM Zombie

4. Djomla Student

Black Panther is not an excellent movie.

5. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Moderately important. I agree that it can enhance a scene and make it more memorable but it can also make a scene seem more artificial and be too distracting.

Remember when movies and trailers used to play "Power" by Kanye west like it was the hype track of the century? I hated that everytime I heard it. And I like "Power".

:sniff

6. Unicornsilovethem They're so fluffy!

A lot of films wouldn't be what they are without their soundtrack. Or maybe more accurately, they wouldn't be as memorable. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Good Bad & Ugly, almost all of 90s Disney. Coincidentally you'll find a lot of the same composer names in these movies.

On the other hand, in a parallel universe where Star Wars didn't have such great music, it would still be a much beloved franchise of great movies. Those parallel universe people just wouldn't know what they were missing out on.

7. Stringer ∟ Maleficient

Canada
    not that important in my case, I tend to favor flicks that take a minimalistic approach in their use of music and rely more on narrative structure and character interactions to pull me in

e.g. movies like La Haine, No Country For Old Men, Rust and Bones , Army of Shadows, Le Samourai, The Defiant Ones 1958 (etc.) are among my favorites for that very reason, the music in them is either absent or purely circumstantial

that said there are films where the OST is so perfect that I couldn't possibly imagine the movie without them — John Carpenter's The Thing, Verhoven's Robocop, and Drive come to mind :blessed

8. Mider Transylvania VM Zombie

9. Stringer ∟ Maleficient

Canada
    to be honest with you I haven't seen American Pop

the music in Baby Driver was fire though, dat opening scene :noah

10. James Bond Name's Wolf, Werewolf

Sweden
    Music can impact a scene so powerfully so yes I consider music to be very important. A perfect example would be Freebird in Kingsmen, the action is undoubtedly amazing but the song just makes it even better.

11. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

There are a lot of movies that I watch where I don't even register the soundtrack, for better or worse. Is it just bland and forgettable? Or is it so seamlessly woven into the rest of the atmosphere that I was too enthralled to notice? Every movie is different.

But there are movies that work primarily because of the soundtrack. You mention "Rocky 4", but I would argue that the soundtrack for "Rocky" elevated a good film into a masterpiece. There are also movies that I wouldn't probably bother with if it weren't for the soundtracks. I'm partial to spaghetti westerns, only because I love the soundtracks that often accompany them. Even bad ones are worth checking out for their scores.

12. GhibliFox Member

13. Amol Chief of Wisdom

In Bollywood music/songs many times breaks or makes the movie. Many mediocre movies became super hit because of great songs in it.
    Aashiqi 2 comes to my mind .

14. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

15. Stringer ∟ Maleficient

Canada
    I like that guy's channel, some of his earlier stuff are comedy gold :lmao

by the way where's your sig from?

16. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

It is important but it is not a dealbreaker or anything. I suppose it really depends on the movie. In some movies I barely notice the OST while in others, it elevates the whole experience.

17. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

The Spine Song in his Transformers video still kills me everytime I hear it :hoho

I Want You To Make a Disgusted Face and Show Me Your Underwear

:kfam

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Stringer ∟ Maleficient

Canada
    for real, the dude's got talent
    his bane impressions always leave me in stitches :mjlol

wow that title... :dead

JAPAN :tupac

19. Wolfgetsu WhereWUFF!

Very important, I quite like them a lot and listen to them a lot.

20. Mider Transylvania VM Zombie