1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

The Intelligent Hip-Hop/Rap Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Kucheeky Badkuya, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

I remeber this thread awhile ago, but I can't find it, well, I used the search button but couldn't find it. I remeber that jkingler made it. I also thought of an idea may a s-mod please auto-ban users, who drop by and say, 'Rap sucks' and thast all they wrote they don't post why and such. Saves us one last user to argue thirty pages and don't that user doesn't learn a thing.

Flame me or hate me, I love hip-hop and rap, you can't do anything aboutit. If you wanna flame me, don't flame me here. Prove me wrong of the errors you see. If you can prove me of some of my ideas are wrong than I guess I would be wrong.

I was almost a few seconds close in cracking skulls in the 'Does Rap Suck Now? ', I know I shouldn't be like that, since music has styles for everyones tastes, but some users in that thread, bitch, bitch and bitch. They listen to one rapper, lets say, 50 Cent and they think rap sucks. Well, 50 Cent may/do suck, but you should at least listen to different styles of rap, not all wanksta rap. Try groups that are more with empahize of lyrics and not how many girls you gave STD's to.

I made this thread for users who respect Hip-Hop/Rap for what it is, and listen to it and tell there opnion and why it is good or why it is bad. If you says a group stinks, why? Post song lyrics, names, beats, etc, to back up your reasoning.

Another reason for this thread is to teach a person here and there that Hip-Hop/Rap is good, and more people should listen to it, no matter where you from, age, race or religion. You have to remember that music is the universal language, not langague for one.

Hate it or Love it.

*awaits, S&G, moe, Catatonik, jkingler and other users view on Hip-Hop/Rap*

The word of moe:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
    Tags:
  2. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

I've been a hip hop fan since childhood as a result of where i grew up and who my friends were. I listen to gangsta, underground, and everything in between. I don't flame people for not liking it, but I would say to give it a chance, because chances are you will find at least one thing you like.

3. Aruarian Well-Known Member

I'm a fan to most music in general, and there is a lot of Hip-Hop and Rap that tickles my fancy. Although I loathe the likes of 50 Cent and such, I can not help but stop to listen to the greats as Tupac, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and whom ever else I might like while hearing. I have a few friends who write and rap, in Dutch, but it still sounds better than any Dutch rapper I have heard, save for perhaps Brainpower.

4. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Okay , some ground rules here

I will NOT tolerate one line comments such as "RAP IS CRAP LOLZZZZ!!!1shift"! This thread is discussing hiphop, and if you feel that it doesnt tickle your fancy, well you are entitled to your opinion, but please, at least make a good argument.

I know there is alot of bad music in hiph, but here is also a great deal of brilliant works, and this goes for every form of music. Debate and disuss, but dont come in making a single line and then leaving the thread. EVERYONE here is more than happy to share some of the fine gems we have come across, so if you feel that you think hiphop is aweful, at least give us the oppurtunity to send you a record or a song and give it a fair listen. That is all we ask.

5. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Very true.

People thinking that people who like rap and hip-hop, only like rap and hip-hop. that is a 100% not true. In fact, rap and hip-hop fans like different and more genres than epople think they do.

Take me for instance, I love rock, soft rock, a little metal, electronica, disco and sometimes, opera. The thing is that some music genres mind controll people an dthe mind controlling tells them not to like a certain genre sometimes rap and hip-hop. If we could get a few people to listen to a band, like Sugarhill Gnag, Immortal Techinque or The Roots. It could only take a band here nad there and they would have a different view on rap/hip-hop.

Hip-Hop isn't just a USA thing, there are otehr rap groups around teh world, like in Japan. In Japan they have Rhymester, who I love to death. I may not understand the words they speak but I understand what they are rapping about by beat, speed and style. Rhymester doesn't have that 'ghetto' approach there normal, Japanese people who like to rap, can't put them in jail for that.

6. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Have you listened to Nujabes by any chance? I garuntee you that you will fall in love with him too.

7. Procyon Loveless

Can someone please direct me to some of the intelligent stuff then? Because I feel deprived. The groups I'm familiar with are fulfill all of the stereotypes. 50Cent, Eminem, etc. They all kinda scare me off because of the gangster kinda thing, and a crude way of expressing things.

8. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Yes, I have I was using Rhymester as an example, I would like to also add Fat Jon, Tsurgai No Mai and there are others that I forgot.

9. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

FAT JON is LOVE

YOU HAVE to give Madlib a spin, he collaborated with MF DOOM on Madvilliany, which was one of the best records of last year.

Giro (lol @ your new nick XD): Im uping some records atm and Ill be sure to pass them by you.

10. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Sure thing.

I'll upload a Fat Jon[Lightweight Heavy album, which you all should have if not, send a PM to me stating you want it :)] for you since moe has more albums than me, I have a lot of singles instead. :crying

11. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Fat Jon is amazing. As I said before anyone who wnats Lightweight Heavy send a PM. moe, care to upload Madlib for me, pairing up with MF Doom, equals God's music. :tem

EVERYONE GET YOUR HANDS ON SOM MF DOOM SPECIAL HERBS VOLUMES, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Aruarian Well-Known Member

I have a recording on soundclick of a friend of mine rapping, it's in Dutch, but meh, I'll put down and translate the lyrics if its necesary.

13. the-youkai-slayer Slayer of the ethers

finally someone who actually sees hip-hop for the culture and art that it is.... people always let a lot of the negative hip-hop rappers influence their opinion but seriously open yours eyes, ears and mind people. there's a whole other world of hip-hop out there that can blow you away........... btw

Nas is f**kn awesome. agree? disagree? don't CARE.

oh and talib kweli & immortal technique too.

14. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

NaS is great, its just a lot of people think Kayne west is better. People compare NaS and Kayne which I don't know why, though. NaS had some great songs in his latest album, I loved, 'Suicide Bounce', 'Makings of a Perfect B**tch*', 'Briding the Gap' some great works of his.

the-youkai-slayer, have listened to Jurassic 5? The have a stlye sometimes like NaS, if you haven't listened to them listen to them.

15. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

kay guys, this is what I have uploaded

Nas - God's Son
    Nas - Illmatic
    Nas - It Was Written
    Nas - Stillmatic
    The Roots - Things Fall Apart
    The roots - The Tipping Point
    Lifesavas - Spirits In Stone

Who wants what?

16. izzy Live From the Plantation

I love rap and I think people here already know that from other threads but... one thing I have a problem with, concerning hip-hop.

It doesn't affect me the way rock/folk/piano/pop/ballads/almost every other genre has.

With hip hop I find my self saying "Thats clever word play" or " The beat is interesting". Hip hop's closet form of entertainment, to me, is comedy. It's either boring or really clever. But rarely do I feel emotion (well besides laughter). Tupac can make me angry and ATCQ will make me feel relaxed, but that is about the deepest it gets for me.

For myself, rock can resonate so many more feelings. I have cried, felt lucky, extremely elated, depressed, comforted etc.

I also feel that other forms of music besides hip hop seem much more Epic and beautiful.

I am not trying to bad mouth hip hop, this is just what I have experienced. Anyone with similar experiences? Suggestions on songs that resonate different emotions?

Sorry about my syntax! I am trying to write a paper and it's taking up all my syntax juice.

17. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

I would like these. Thanks.

You want the new/latest NaS album, Streets Disciple Part 1 and Part 2?

18. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Bless your soul. this is the kind of posts I want to see more of. I can completely understand where you are coming from. To me Folk/Post Rock is where my emotions can be driven to an edge, and I can comprhend how you feel in regards to hiphop, it was after all started as party-have-fun music(even the term MC stands for Master Of Ceremones, the man in those days simply backed up the DJ). And yes I agree with your clever word play statment. That is the other defyining quality found in hip hop and not present in many other forms of music. An example of this is free style battles.

There are however some very emotion filled tracks and record I can reccomend. Look for Atmosphere - Fuck you Lucy (single song) or Aesop Rock - Daylight.

@Kucheeky Badkuya; Sure thing mate, I'll pm them now. I have Street discle so no need to up it :amuse.

19. theskyisfallin the face of comedy

I'm lovin' Side to Side right now from the new Blackalicious record. 'tis good fun. What do people think of the new CD from them?

I find rap, when done well, gives me the biggest emotional response of any genre. Social Realist lyrics really get to me.

20. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I just got the new record actually, still havent given it a spin though. I have very high hopes for it. Does it hold it's ground well against Blazing Arrow?

21. 'RoP' Playas Only :p

Really well said ! reps for you. I mean there are sooo much good artist not only in english there are so many arts of hiphop and rap...you cant judge Rap only because 50 cent f.e. makes music for teenigangstas.

22. theskyisfallin the face of comedy

It certainly isn't a poor record and is in itself a decently strong record, compared to Blazing Arrow however...well that is a hard act to follow.

23. BlueCheese 希望

Why not join the Hip Hop FC then: this

Loved Hip Hop since the moment I started looking for music myself.

Completely agree with that, when I went to see De La Soul live my dad was standing next to me and he's 57. Admittedly he was probably the oldest guy there. Was kinda funny when Posdenous asked people how old they were and the highest he went up to was over 30 lol.

24. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

I'd love to join the Hip Hop FC, but I'd feel like such a noob.

25. BlueCheese 希望

26. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

I'm still relatively new to the genre and I'd be completely school'd knowledge-wise.

27. BlueCheese 希望

Then that's an even better reason to join. To find out more about Hip Hop. It's not about how much knowledge you have it's about everyone who loves Hip Hop coming together.

28. FaLLenInU njsfinest

As much devoted i am to Hip-Hop and Rap I cant overlook the fact that it is doing some major damages in our society. Hip-Hop and Rap has changed dramatically from the days of 2Pac and not for the better, lyrics no longer speak of the truth about the harshness of living in the ghetto and on the streets instead it tells of lies about the successs in thuglife. Hip-Hop and Rap has become corrupted by money and fame, and its influencing people into a lifelstyle that really only leads to death and pain. Music helps define alot of things in a person, personality, physical appeareance, mindset their all affected by the type of Music we listen to.

29. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

It seems to me that you're describing the current mainstream trend. Yes, hip-hop has changed, but some of it has changed for the better in my opinion. I don't know about you, but I don't care to be asailed with album after album constantly hearing about how raw the streets may or may not be. That message can only be so positive and it can only be reiterated so many times without becoming stale and trite. What you're describing would mean a repetitive slump for hip-hop and would only serve to hasten its demise.

30. The Fireball Kid Respect the Mustache

I'll join the hip hop FC! I would love to discuss Public enemy >.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.