1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Little Mermaid (live action)

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by reiatsuflow, Jul 3, 2019.

1. IchijiNijiSanji

reminder that there was a "Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarves" that was so racist it's part of the censored 11 :krilldead

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. ~VK~

people want the illusion of change or originality while still having the comfort of familiarity. they want the same thing without actually feeling like they got the same thing.

3. IchijiNijiSanji

You're assuming they're the same people :hm
    I'm sure there's some overlap, but I'd be willing to bet the groups complaining about making ariel black and those griping about lion king being a samey remake with the charm washed away by the realism would be different

4. ~Gesy~

Yeah I guess...I mean the two newest Star Wars movies are hated for opposite reasons. JJ stuck too much to the original formula. RJ barely stuck to it at all.

5. reiatsuflow

These live action disney movies are supposed to be cover songs. That's what we want.

6. Deathbringerpt

There, now your argument holds some ground. Like, a handful. And it's still slipping through them fingers since you're somehow overlapping people saying widely different things. Anyway, these golden age disney remakes are all blatantly worse than the original versions so far for their own specific, different reasons.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM
  7. ~Gesy~

Did anyone honestly expect the new Lion King to surpass the original? I never heard of this. I simply took these as "retellings" and separated them from the original..I mean..they freakin made Maleficent have lesbian feelings for Aurora! :skully

And what do you mean by " being the same movie but with casting choices that won't be immediately recognizable to your average fan"? :catthinks

8. ClandestineSchemer

I don't want any changes to the lion king, for instance.

So Seth Rogan as Pumba already makes me cringe. Dude always plays the same stoner niche.

Oh, god that movie was shit.
    They made those fairy protectors completely retarded, just so Maleficent could be her "true" mother/guardian.
    Her name makes no sense as a misunderstood good guy.

:krilldead

9. Deathbringerpt

Put whoever they casted in a mermaid outfit out of context and ask them what character she's supposed to be. Dollars to donuts, Ariel will be the last thing they think.

It's just your bare minimum lazy Disney inclusive move. Cast a black chick for the role of a white character, win sympathy social points therefore the movie is better. Kinda like when they shoved the mean sexist old men in Beauty and the Beast with some random asshole going "A GIRL TEACHING ANOTHER GIRL HOW TO READ. GHASTLY SIGHTING. GO PICK UP A MOP, YOU BITCH" when France was the last fucking country in the world where society had any beef with women reading in the 1700s. It's all so cheap, lazy and such a completely fucking obvious american corporate move that people somehow equate with social politics for some inexplicable reason.

But everyone is fucking deadset about shoving politics into anything these days. You could make a thread about a dead raccoon's asshole in this forum and people would find a way to spin a discussion about the political spectrum of its rectum.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 4:46 PM
  10. Huey Freeman

11. ~Gesy~

I guess some feel the same about both films...but humans can also be contradictory on occasion as well. But yes not all. I was speaking generally.

The darker skinned characters were the most nefarious looking

Stay woke

12. Huey Freeman

Yeah but M Night Mcshamalalala did that to his own people

13. reiatsuflow

I get what shyamalan was going for with making the snow blue characters white and the fire red nation indian, and zuko/his uncle/azula are arguably the best characters on the show anyway. They didn't resemble their counterparts through aside from the kid who played ang.

The movie was just bad in every way so even that ambition was badly handled.

14. ~Gesy~

The dance moves cracks me up to this day:lmao

15. reiatsuflow

The question then becomes what the heck a white prince is doing sailing around in the Caribbean. Because considering the fact that Prince Eric sails around in a wooden galley, that would be around the time of the Atlantic Slave Trade during the Caribbean right? That could get problematic....

That's racist.

I don't know. Based on a previous thread I've done before, alot of black women are triggered by black men dating white women as well.

17. Huey Freeman

I mean they skate over the Native American Genocide in Pocahontas, can’t wait to see that live action :lmao

18. hcheng02

Can't be any worse than the live action Beauty and the Beast movie setting the time period in the mid 1700s France, which is right at the tail end of the French monarchy and the beginning of the French Revolution. Which means that there is a good chance that either Belle or her immediate family lose their heads to the guillotine.

19. Kuromaku

The above points actually tie into why I've always thought it a mistake to try to place a fairy tale into a specific time period and setting, because real history tends to intrude as a result. If anything, the writers should create a fairy tale type setting wherein it may or may not be a real place within a time frame that never really existed or doesn't really fit into a single period. A good example of such timelessness being how T.H. White's Once and Future King plays out into a somewhat mythical Medieval period that includes anachronisms to highlight the ever resonant nature and truths of King Arthur's legend regardless of how questionable the actual facts behind it are. It also explains why I'm usually not all that big on stories that try to get at the 'facts' behind the myths/legends, because that mystique behind them plays into their power.