1. cafecontest
    Voting is live in the Cafe Banner Contest!
    Poll closes on Sep 20, 2020 at 1:37 AM ET.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

The most physically challenging sport?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by ValentineTheory, Jul 25, 2005.

1. ValentineTheory

Well since I didn't even know there was a sports forum, ill make my debut here.

So what do you think is the most physically challenging sport or event? and Explain reasoning.

My first vote goes to any fighting sports, boxing, MMA, Muay Thai, K-1, etc.
    They have to train their entire body for the rigors of fighting, learn to deal with being hit, training for stamina (which is quite different from just running, its a bit more complicated), have strength, speed, and actual fighting knowledge and experience. The only sport where the goal is to hurt or maim your opponent.

My second vote: Gymnastics. These guys basically have to torture their bodies from a young age in order to be the best. Totally physically fit, flexibility, difficult muscle memory moves, and the high serious injury probability.

Third vote: any long distance event, marathons, bicycle races, triathalons...for obvious reasons. It's hard enough for me to run 4 miles...these guys are running 10 or 20 and cycing across an entire country!

Tags:
  2. I ARE 1031

The hardest sport is mountain climbing. Is that a sport? If not then I would say dodgeball.

3. BlueCheese

Mountain climbing is a sport. Yes it is very physically draining if you only do it every so often. But that is only because it uses muscles that your body is not used to using. Once you go often it becomes much easier.

4. ValentineTheory

yah, it would also kinda suck if you like....fell to your death.

5. BlueCheese

Well, thats why you climb with ropes. So if you fall you don't get injured (At least most of the time).

6. Inuyashamish

i agree with valentine with the fighting sports, the only way to train to get hit, is to get hit

7. gunk

I'd go with boxing and triathlons/marathons for physically draining and challenging. I read somewhere that it takes at least three months for the body to fully recuperate from a marathon (at least like the Boston Marathon ~ 26 mi).

And golf has to be the least...

8. Wing-Zero

I SHALL AGREE 100%

9. I ARE 1031

Go Lance Armstrong. I never got one of those bracelets but he is awesome as hell!

10. Twizted

Well the decathalon would be the hardest sport, but then that really is 10 in 1, so if we're talking one singular sport, I would say competative swimming.

11. ValentineTheory

Oh Mercy! Swimming! I quit just for that reason! Id rather be punched in the face than having to join another swim team again in my life! Yah, i agree, competition swimming is certainly up there.

12. BlueCheese

I think the Tour de France is the most physically challenging event. So cycling I guess.

13. I ARE 1031

Why do you argue every one of my posts that you see? I thought that even the most experienced climbers have little to no chance of making it up Everest. Sooo...the bigger the mountain the more the challenge and it will keep you from making it easy...

14. BlueCheese

I'm not arguing every post I see of yours. You asked whether it was a sport and I answered.

Yes the bigger the mountain the harder to climb, that is obvious. However that does not mean that the hardest mountain is the highest. Many people have climbed Everest, i'm pretty certain that there are some peaks have never been climbed. This is why routes are graded with the safety level, and the level of the hardest move.

I am not disputing the fact that mountain climbing is a very physically challenging sport. That is one of the enticing factors of it. I just said I thought that there were other sports that were more challenging than climbing.

15. I ARE 1031

^ Ok, agreed. Dodgeball is definitely the most physically demanding...

16. Jedi Mind Tricks

I agree with what ValentineTheory said about what the hardest sports are.

Combat sports like boxing.

17. Uchiha_Sasuke_12

well, my bro does ironman and he has to train his butt off like three months before competition. he's all super dark because he goes kayaking and bike riding and stuff. weekend warriors at hawaii grow really dark tans.

18. Kyuubisan727

You guys are 100% correct! I´ve quit sports for a while because it was hurting my grades in school and I am one of those that has to focus a lot on one thing, not two at a time. I almost joined a gymnastics club when I was 5 but I heard that it was gonna take a long time to get very good so i said no to myself.

19. Viciousness

I agree with all the above choices. As for the most physically challenging team sport I'd say Lacrosse for right now, especiall for midfields, moreso than say the goalie who gets pounded but doesnt move much. Its alot like soccer with running up and dow the field constantly, then you have to cradle the ball constantly while running so youre working your arms as well as your legs, and if you dont have the ball youre ussually checking some one and wacking away with your stick while running. Then you gotta have good coordination to aim and catch the ball in these small pockets at the end of your stick as someone throws it like a rocket to you. I've played alot of team sports, Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, (also dodgeball and volleyball though just for fun, and wrestling for school, though I dont consider that team), and of all them Lacrosse was the most physically challenging.
    Havent done rugby or hockey though.

Also Im not counting track, gymnastics, swimming, mountain climbing etc. as team sports even though your score may be tallied as a team, since other than mountain climbing you dont really have to think with your teammates in mind or look to them for support, and Mountain Climbing teammates are optional.

20. Soxfan17

im gonna go with swimiming cuz ur using most of the muscle in ur body

21. Mangekyou_Master

I definately agree about the golf. I'd say fighting sports or marathons.

22. DesignCore

The fighting things u mentioned are not a sport.
    Like the saying goes.
    "you dont play boxing"

The msot physicaly demanding sport has to be soccer, though it may not look like it it really is saddly.

23. Keyser S?ze

yes but boxing is considered a sport. is it not? soccer is probably the most physically demanding sport today, they run around for 90 minutes.

24. DesignCore

Eh i dont consider it a sport. No one says lets go play boxing.
    Boxing /swimming/ mountain climbing all those thigns id consider activities.

I think a sport should encompass a team oriented style.

25. Kyuubisan727

Just because the word "play" is not implemented, it doesn't mean that Boxin isn't a sport! This is because you can say "let's go do some boxing" or "wanna box?" It might be slang, but if your friend or relative knows what you're talking about it's all good!

26. rimpelcut

kung fu because it implies overcoming the most physical challenging. It is a sport because you are competing with yourself and to achieve a level above others.

27. Sasuto

I'd say boxing, if you follow a regelar basis of training everyday whit running, rope jumping, shadow, sparring, sandbag, mitts and actual matches ( not everyday but you know what i mean) ..I practice boxe, and men i was 170 lbs at the begging and now i am 130-135 lbs..not only it gave me EXTRA extra energy but it sur is fun. Though i'm only training 3 or 4 days a week and my first match is coming this february it possibly aint the most physically challenging sport if you look at someone that practice everyday..

28. furious styles

American football is very taxing on your body. Aside from the major injuries you hear about every day like ACL/MCL tears, broken bones, concussions, etc. the minor bumps and bruises you pick up every game amount up to a lot.

29. Sasori_Echizen

Ehhh swimming (triathlon), soccer is tough, especially mid fielders and you get balls in the face and...well, balls in the balls xD and also you have to be able to kick a far distance

30. Freakness

What about Football and Rugby ? Isn't that .. Physical ?xD

But yeah, I think Triathlon ( Or whatever the English name is of Swimming+Running+Biking is ) is the most physicaly one .