1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Music Cult

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Nybarius, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Nybarius

FTP is short for "file transfer protocol". Basically, it is a way of moving files from one place to another. Unlike Bittorrent and other new-fangled protocols, it is a client-server system; files are uploaded to a central housing system, the 'server', and from there are made available to 'clients' which connect.

An anonymous stranger was kind enough to donate an anonymous FTP-server to the Music-loving NF denizens. Anonymous FTP just means that you log in anonymously--and you know what that means.

To access this service, you will need an FTP client, a couple popular ones are Smart FTP, BulletProof FTP, and CuteFTP; and for FireFox users, here's a nifty FTP extension:

If you're used to Windows, SmartFTP is recommended; here's a link to its help-file:

FTP Server #1 (Currently Active):
    The address is: ftp.jamesphineasmccaffrey.com
    Port: 21 (which is the default)
    The username is: anonymous
    Password should be of the form:

FTP Server #2 (Backup):
    Address: ftp.hugemassif.com
    port: 21
    username: anonymous
    password of the form:

Rules:
    No rules, but remember, it's good to give :)

Support:
    Please contact Nybarius, either through PM, the boards, or at Nybarius AT gmail DOT com if you have any problems, questions, or suggestions. Thanks!

PS: Yay, finally I'll have a popular post ;)

PPS: Keep in mind that nobody's paying me to do this, or anything; I was just thought the music-cult needed a place to back up their files. All thanks (be they reps, ups, or money) are heartily appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Erkekjetter

Good job mate. Rep for you.

3. Erkekjetter

This is the new Cult thread?! What's gonna happen to the other one? Will it die? lol

4. mow

I'll just close and recycle it (that way, no posts will be lost)

Nyb; I gave myself the libertiy of changing the title of the thread, hope you dont mind =]

5. Nybarius

No problemo. I just added a bunch more space & bandwidth, by the way, so anybody who was experiencing problems, they should all be fixed quite shortly.

6. Erkekjetter

Good thing too, I had a ton of posts there!:p

7. Nybarius

Good to periodically recycle these types of posts; them Gods be watchin' ;)

8. Erkekjetter

What choo talkin' 'bout willis?

9. Kucheeky Badkuya

Another upload place,

Rapidshare

10. Nybarius

Well, in some countries of the world, Intellectual Property Laws (mostly set down during the 19th and early 20th century, when they were designed to protect sheet-music vendors) imprison music which wants to fly free.

11. Erkekjetter

...so, the man's trying to keep us down! Fight The Man!

12. Nybarius

Basically, you've gotta fight to your right to brock out. By the way, it's mean to say "rep for you" and then withhold reps -- tapped out, perhaps? S'all good, spread it around :)

I wonder who uploaded that Live Kraftwerk set-- that's some rare stuff.

13. mow

Yes, it's finally working

The Complete Blue Recoding
    By Thelnious Monk & Afro Blue Impressions By John Coltrane are quite hard to find, and I got my bought mine 3 years ago (best $55.98, $21.98 I've ever spent in my life).Real gems and any jazz fan will love them.

Whaaaaaaa?

I love whoever did that.

14. Nybarius

See, I called in my underground tekno massif friends to help us all out with some live sets -- check out the Ben Sims, Adam Bayer, Marco Carolo, etc. etc.: time to learn about the techno realness, peeps :)

15. mow

YES

I just found my Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins & Sonny Stitt - Sonny Side Up cd! oh you guys have to listen to this, late 50's be-bop at it's finest.

16. Nybarius

Up there with Saxophone Collossus? ;) I have a rather -- erratic knowledge of the jazz. Perhaps you can educate me.

17. mow

Haha :hi5. It's up there :amuse

It's good to meet someone who knows Rollins =]. Whose your fav tenor sax player; Rollins or Coltrane?

18. Nybarius

Rollins is pretty essential, I'd think. Hmm -- Boots Randolph, did he play tenor sax? In any case, the answer is definitely COLTRANE for me. Just brilliant; too bad about the drugs. But maybe you can change my mind.

19. mow

I think boots did play tenor sax, not sure though

In regards to Coltrane Vs. Rollins; I'd probabily pick Rollins (with a very slight edge).

Coltrane (during '56) was still with the Miles Davis Qunitet, be he still wasnt the great player he'd later be. His skills and technique at that time still didnt manage to release up to the wild, remarkable talent and ideas he had stored in his mind. When he joined the Thelnious Monk quartet, then the change came a and he was able to hold his own against Rollins.

Coltrane has more jazz classics under his book, but none of his records is as remarkably consistant as Saxophone Colossus (though Giant Steps does give Rollins a run for his money). Rollins technique and playing is just mindblowing. Very imaginative, speed wise superhuman and exptionally unpredictable clarity and flare makes him the best tenor saxphonist.

But that doesnt change the fact that both men are Gods :cool.

Sigh, I need more Sonny Rollins.

20. Efraim Longstocking

yeh yeh! I need more Jazz edu too... What's the main differences between Alt-sax and Tenor sax anyway?

21. Nybarius

Yeah, you know what, I'm going to change my answer to "I'M NOT WORTHY!"

Giant Steps vs Saxophone Collossus? Don't go there. Both are of a class to start, or stop, wars.

By the way: wasn't Lester Young a tenor man? I know many fans of more hot jazz front, but he co-created the COOL.

22. mow

oh you'll get your jazz mate. I wont upload anything for the next week aside from jazz =]

Some of the differences between alt-sax and tenor-sax are
    1) Size. Alt sax is the 4th in the sax family, while the tenor is the 5th ( the sax family from smallest to largest is : soprillo, sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, bass, contrabass and subcontrabass)

2) Sound. Tenor sax tends to have a richer, more powerful sound. (Ofcourse that changes depending on the player, but its somewhat a fact)

3) Keys & Read. An alto sax reads in the key of E flat, and the range is from (not sure about this) D flat to 4 octaves aboe that. While Tenor sax reads usually at B-flat. I dont know its range ,though itr's definaitly different from the alt

Lol, so very true. I love talking Jazz. I used to chit chat for endless hours with my dad about jazz. Good times :amuse.

EDIT: Lester (The Prez!) was indeed a tenor man.

I should upload Miles Davs- Birth Of the Cool

23. Nybarius

I wish I came from a musically inclined family :-( I was actively discouraged from taking up musical pursuits in my youth. Perhaps that's why, as I blossomed, I became such a ravening beat-junkie.

24. mow

I wish I picked up an instrument when I was young. My dad was a music manic and all I heard as a kid was jazz and 60's rock/woodstock generation stuff, but I never picked up a instrument till late when I was 18. Now all I can do is write lyrics and smack my head on desk when I cant bring what I have in my head as music >_<

25. Nybarius

Oh god, same here. It's the same with foreign languages. I learned a lot in my youth--which continues still--, but not as much as I would have in a strict 19th century Edwardian household. My first instrument of choice is piano, and I'd like to learn to play by ear. Then drums, then sax -- t'is my fantasy.

26. mow

lol, same here. To able to play Naima on sax? Wow, that would be divine.

27. Nybarius

I'm a very talented MC -- been doing it for years -- & I remember having lunchroom battles with this kid who was a jazz-drummer. He would tap out classic beat after classic beat on the table, WHILE freestyling to'em. Hehe, imagine being able to do that WHILE playing the loop to "Ressurrection" on the synth. . .

28. mow

Jesus, that is amazing.

It's funny though when it comes to jazz. I recall a discussion I had with forkshy about it, and he was telling me how us jazz fans (that includes him) were music elitist of the first degree. when you discusss rock for example, everyone know the king, everyone knows the beatles, the who, Pink floyd etc everyone has similiar grounds to talk about it. But when it comes to jazz, people are always either:-

1) Extreme jazz fanatics that almost drive everyone away from the discussion
    2) Only know Miles Davis.

Check this thread and tell me your thoughs: Why is Jazz automatically assiociated with Miles & Coltrane?

29. Nybarius

I think the reason is marketing ability and staying power. Miles Davis, though he kept his back to the audience, was a CHARACTER, and managed to insert himself into generation after generation's mind as an iconic figure. Also, he switched up his ensemble quite a bit, thus causing there to be several generations of musicians who pointed their fingers up at him as their inspiration.

Jazz is highly elitist, but it's also capable of being grasped by most everybody. I think that the free-form nature of good jazz, which is always shying away from being pinned down to any set pattern or structure, keeps the masses from appreciating it. Compare some interpretations of jazz standards to the standard 3-minute, verse chorus verse chorus bridge &c radio format; they're Miles apart.

I'd add Louis Armstrong to the list, by the way, especially with the recent release of the Complete Hot 5's and Hot 7's. Also, I know it's not pure jazz, but let's not forget George Gershwin, whom everybody knows.

30. mow

ohhhh.

Please tell me you have George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue?