1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

The Naruto Cliche list!(Important for fanfic writers)

Discussion in 'Naruto Fanworks' started by Therahedwig, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Therahedwig

Darkness Over Light, The Other Side of Me

This one is sooo true, why am I posting this here?

Because then people here can use it to become better writers.

(If you still want to be a better writer after this, try the plot/character articles on gamingw.com, they're really good)

Tags:
  2. YamisuiOnna

aarikaa is a member of the fanfiction anbu, the site i mentioned in a previous thread where we provide hilarious reviews of bad naruto fanfiction. for those of you who've found stories online containing the cliches mentioned in aarikaa's masterpiece, please feel free to post links to them here so we at the ff-anbu can piss on...erm...roast...erm, i mean provide constructive criticism for them.

while we're on the subject of writing tips, i've got a few to add that can PREVENT writers from backsliding into cliches:

1) If you're going to introduce an OC, never describe your OC YOURSELF. Wait until the OC meets up with the main Naruto characters you're involving in the story and describe the OC through THEIR eyes. Readers quickly lose interest with long-ass descriptions of your character's eyes and hair and outfit if there's no apparent relevance to the story's plot yet. Face it, people: nobody likes it when an OC is more important than the actual characters. Let the NARUTO CHARACTERS decide whether or not the OC is beautiful or strong or crazy-looking.

As a sidenote, I'd like to add that if the Naruto characters who are giving the visual/behavioral assessment of your OC see only his/her positive traits and no flaws whatsoever, little warning bells should be going off in your brain: THIS IS A MARY SUE. Which brings me to my next point...

2) NATURE ABHORS A MARY SUE. I'm not going to provide a litmus test here, but here are some tips to keep yourself from writing a Mary Sue:

Pick personality flaws that are realistic to give your OC. Having a tragic past or being bitchy and assertive are NOT significant flaws. Having a scar on the OC's cheek does NOT count as an appearance flaw...unless you're Dilandau... Some examples of more realistic flaws are:

a) The OC feels insecure about his/her physical/mental weakness and tends toward jealousy of others.
    b) The OC cares too much about what others think of him/her and tends to follow the crowd when he/she should speak up.
    c) The OC is assertive but tends toward selfishness.

These are just some examples of realistic personality flaws, which make OC's far more palatable. Also, because flaws shape us as much as strengths, if you give them to your OC he/she will appear to have more depth and you can avoid the cardboard cutout cliche. Readers identify more readily with deeper characters.

3) WRITING ACTION/ACTIVITY WITHOUT USING STUPID NO JUTSU'S AND MORE DIALOGUE THAN KICKING/PUNCHING/STABBING.

From reading a lot of peoples' fics and comments, it seems we all struggle with writing good action sequences. Unfortunately, action sequences are practically a must in a fighting show like Naruto. Some tips:
    a) Picture the setting in your head where the fight will take place. Make a rough sketch if that helps. Now you know what buildings/trees/objects are near your characters. Picture where the characters are positioned, and keep track of where they are. This way you can have them change positions and use the landscape around them to make things more interesting. (e.g. fighting atop tree branches/roofs; running across water).
    b) Write your fight scene all in one sitting. This is hard if you're prone to writers' block, but it helps. If you can keep your flow of concentration uninterrupted, you'll give your fight scene more continuity because you're more aware of WHERE your character is positioned. Position awareness is VITAL to a fight scene. Otherwise we just have two characters standing God knows where and hurling random jutsu's at each other.
    c) Keep conversation to a minimum during the fight sequence. I know Naruto is riddled with flashbacks during fight scenes (many of which make me want to claw my eyes out with their repetitiveness), but for a fanfic the action's most important. Inserting flashbacks in a fic the way they do in the show just causes confusion for readers and disrupts the flow of the story. A warning sign that you're writing weak fighting scenes is if the characters are talking more than they're fighting. If you want dialogue in the scene to explain what's going on, have the characters who are watching do the talking. Generally intense fighting makes the dueling characters too out-of-breath to be long-winded.

Wow...this turned out to be a lot longer than I expected. And it's not even a rant. At least, not entirely...

3. salodon

Hey, thanks. smile-big

4. Saffi

I found that really useful Yami..thanks :D

5. Kool ka lang

You should put all the NF cliches in here too.
    Like blind itachi, gaible, kwGOD, all the good stuff.

6. Therahedwig

No Kool, those are running gags, they are good, clich? tend to be bad...

7. Freiza

Well it would be nice but it's not there.......
    but this im guessing was from there
    I like the advice, especially the one about keeping fight convos to a minimum. i hate when people have to much talking....*coughDBZcough* but also those that hve none or very little piss me off*coughBleachcough*

8. NomiNinja90

I'm writing a Time-travel Naruto fic where Naruto goes back in time (the only way I could think of was that Kyuubi sent him back) and becomes his fathers best friend. He decides to seal the Kyuubi himself to give his future-self a father. (its alot more complicated but I won't get into details :p)
    Are there any cliches I should ABSOLUTLY avoid?

9. homo sapiens narutardis

I believe a common cliche in Naruto fics is the angry mob scene so often used in Naruto's childhood flashbacks. You could go through the anime/manga a hundred-bajillion times, and you will never see an angry mob. Angry glares, yes; but I have yet to see an angry mob. If Naruto really was chased by an angry mob in his childhood, I'm pretty sure it would have called to Sarutobi's attention, seeing as he has a crystal ball and sees all. Same goes to those who say that Kid!Naruto gets screwed over by unscrupulous shop-owners. ANBU would be on their asses if that was the case.

Other cliches would involve the crap that is "Me and My Friends Got Sucked into the Narutoverse" and the high-school fics. Some high school fics aren't that bad, but 99.99% of it is utter crap.

And vampires, Oh God, the vampires... I mean, we already have Twilight, for crying out loud. Why bother with the vampire fics mucking up the website?

At least the Emo Kid phase is over, thank God.

@ NomiNinja90: If possible, please avoid Good!Kyuubi, or the "They Killed My Kits and My Mate, So I Destroyed the Village"!Kyuubi. It's just a recipe for disaster, not to mention that the manga has explicitly stated that the Kyuubi is a just a mass of chakra and hatred. A viable way for Naruto to go back in time would be would be a long-lost jutsu scroll he discovered, and a backlash while trying to experiment to Hiraishin himself.

If anyone knows what other cliches there are, please let me know.

10. Suhoon

This journal has been deleted and purged.

-just a warning for people.

11. Amrun

However, we do actually see some angry mobs / glaring, but people take it WAY too far and to an unrealistic level and it's a horrible cliche.

Abused!Naruto is not cool.

Another huge cliche is Smart!OP!Naruto. Naruto is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOT a super smart over powered kid; that defeats the entire purpose of his character and makes him someone else.

Also, harem!Naruto is a cliche that I hate.

Outside of Naruto-centric fics, raped Sakura is a bad cliche, but rape in general is a cliche in fanfiction.

There are particular cliches for every different sort of fic and for each individual pairing especially.

I think number #1 biggest cliche in Naruto fanfiction is timetravel, though. DON'T DO IT, FOLKS. It's practically guaranteed to suck.

Full content is posted in-thread.

12. Dejablue

unfortnately that page no longer has the cliche list on it. What were they specifically if you remember?? Well what YamisuiOnna posted was probably what used to be there.

Sorry i didn't read that above post until just now. yeesh.

I've read tons of stories of Naruto being too outwardly depressed or TOO outwardly energetic and outgoing. Like the writer can't find the medium between Naruto's sadness and happiness.

13. Amrun

On the other end of the spectrum, while Naruto-centric stories tend to portray Naruto as way too mature and strong -- which I understand, to a point, but there's a fine line that many people bulldoze -- stories that feature other characters often do the opposite. They make Naruto completely socially retarded and just plain stupid.

Sadly, it's getting harder to refute that with the newest turns of the manga, but many people take it way too far.

In particular, Sakura-centric stories that have Sakura ignore Naruto almost entirely except token appearances where he does something stupid and she placates him really get on my nerves.

14. Dejablue

Oh then lets talk about character specific cliches. Since that's usually where people mess up. How they write the characters.

15. BellatrixLestrange

Being an avid NaruHina fan, a cliche that I hate is Hinata getting sent to the Branch House, or dying of the Curse Seal. That itself is not totally awful, but people almost never consider the alternative and do stories where Hanabi seems to show all this promise, but when Hinata gets confident, the younger sister gets told that she will be sealed and sent to the Branch House when Hinata's firstborn turns three.

Rape is always an awful cliche, as is a horrid amount of abuse.

The obsession with the seme/uke thing amongst yaoi fangirls is extremely annoying, as are most other forms of badly written "romance".

Overpowered/supersmart/Gary Stu Naruto is very annoying and I can't stand it.

I automatically skip over high school fics. I watch Naruto because it is a FANTASY. That means none of that crap.

16. bloodplzkthxlol

turning kyuubi into a female. I've had enough of this cliche. and like someone above already stated, people keep using the same bland back story over and over again. "oh my kit got killed, bawww" no. I personally like the idea of good!kyuubi but only if its done RIGHT. but it hasn't been yet.

17. Dragonessa

Let me think....the major cliches of Naruto fanfiction that I've seen are varied but the biggest one I have seen is SasukexOC, especially when the OC is another "long-lost" Uchiha. At least if your character is paired with Sasuke, give him a reason other than that "You are one of my clan! OHMYGOD I LOVE YOU" . Also, the fanfiction where Sasuke is trying to "rebuild" his clan...those are just nightmares.

Another nasty fanfiction cliche has to do with our favorite pedo!snake Orochimaru. Now I love me some Orochimaru-fanfic goodness, but when you are writing Orochimaru try not making him a total pedo!bear. He's not all pedo. He's got some depth beneath him that makes him who he is. Explore that and try to make him more than a one-note protagonist or antagonist.

I could go on for hours about other things too, but I honestly don't want to start spamming the place.

18. Dejablue

19. Dragonessa

SASUNARU. Holymotherofjesusandmary....that pairing is so abundant with shit its not even funny. I've seen so many craptastic fics about that pairing. If you are writing a yaoi fanfic, make the characters in-character and give them reasons for loving each other other than Naruto going "I'M BRINGING YOU BACK SASUKE TO THE VILLAGE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND WANT YOU IN MY PANTS!"

20. Sunnyfox

Kyubi talk in Naruto head (mind)! Or other jinchuuriki who talk to is demon in is mind!!!

1 word for that: Annoying!!! :mad

maybe i do exeption with Bee cause HE can...but Naruto or Gaara...forget it!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  21. homo sapiens narutardis

Glad to see this forum is getting somewhere.

Here's something I'd like to discuss BTW- Character bashing. Oh Jiminiy Cricket, how I hate that stuff. As much as there are characters we will never like, I don't think they deserve to be treated like crap.

Common victims of these are:

Sakura/Ino/Karin as The Bitch.

The Uchihas as a family of assholes (namely Fugaku Uchiha, although there is nothing in the manga that ever implied that he was a child-abusing, wife-beating basketcase)

Hiashi Hyuuga as a nasty child-abuser. Yes we know that the man hasn't treated his daughter very well before, but later chapters/episodes have shown that he is starting to mellow out.

And as mentioned earlier, Orochimaru the PedoSnake. 'Nuff said.

Also, there's the character derailment for the less-popular characters:

Psycho!Anko. Okay, this really grinds my gears as Anko may be eccentric, but not to the levels as some fanfics portray her. She's not murderous or extremely sadistic. Just a little wacky.

Kiba/Kankuro as misogynists who only have girls on the brain. Kiba is raised by his mother and sister. I am positive that living with them will teach him a thing or two about treating women right. Same goes for Kankuro as he has Temari for a sister. One more thing about Kankuro- he's a lot smarter than he looks.

Well, that's it for the meantime. Peace out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  22. Kind of a big deal

Romance and pairings. That in and of itself is a huge cliché.

The manga does perfectly fine without it, but sometimes it seems like fanfics only exist to satiate the craving that girls have for romance. Let's face it, the majority of fanfic writers are female, and at the risk of sounding chauvinistic, women often have trouble seeing the bigger picture, which is why romance stories become a microcosmos of the two main characters. Or worse, the one main character described in the story. So that's one important point to make about romance.

Another point to make is quick and easy: what you want to see happening to your favorite characters is not a good story. Again, this holds true even more with pairings and romance. Seeing your favorite pairing happening in a story doesn't cut it.

Third point: If it's not the main theme for the story, don't try to artificially add a romance if it doesn't add to the plot. I get it. I understand that you'd probably get more people to read it if you announce a pairing up front. But none of them are worth your time if you're serious about writing something good.

And fourth point, when romance is the most important theme in your story, don't forget that there's a world revolving around the two characters involved. It's actually my first point but elaborated upon.
    So again, most romance stories bog down into the thoughts and motivations of the two or the one character.
    Romeo and Juliet is a good template for how to write a romance. Notice how there's a plethora of characters besides these two, that get real development, notice how there's factions, politics, things and events happening. All kinds of stuff that isn't about the two characters whispering to each other.
    A romance can be interesting and engaging when it's set in a context because unexpected things can happen. In a regular romance fanfic (before I give up reading the whole thing) I keep hoping for something unexpected to happen to mix things up. Never happens.

Speaking of unexpected things: they don't have to end up together. In fact they could end up hating each other, or loving each other but being bad together, so they split up. Or it's never meant to be. Or something tragic happens. So many possiblities, and so few people take advantage of them. Think about it for a minute, the time they had together when it was great could be all the more special because of how it ends up. Especially if you don't have a lineair timeline.

Then there's the issue of characters being out of character. If two persons are totally incompatible, don't change one of them to the point that it works. Change the world around them to the point that it works. Fabricate something so they have a common ground. They don't have to be in it for the reasons either.
    A jerk character can be into a girl out of lust, boredom or even convenience, or not even like her at all. At some point he will consider her his property, or grow used to her, or even have guilt over the fact that he strings her along. If he grows to love her, it's realistic, has depth and it's complex. It's definately better than the character not understanding his own feelings and why he is attracted to a girl. I'm just saying.

And finally, think long and hard about how old the characters are, and how fast things are moving along. In a real world setting, people don't get married a few weeks after meeting someone. Especially not when they are in their teens by the way. And people don't stay together forever.
    If you think about it, this is just another form of mixing it up and bringing something unexpected, teenagers who go out for a while (nausiating as that may be as a story subject) don't end up together in 99% of all cases. This last point especially reveals the young age of the writer by showing how naive they are. You gotta have some ambition to write something better than that.

The typical fanfic romance story isn't bad because I don't like romance, and it's not bad because the romance isn't lovey dovey enough. The story is bad because it's lacking as a story. Expand on the setting so we better understand why this particular romance is so interesting, rather than just stating it.

23. guidewriter211

I think a lot of you have a majority covered, however, one cliche plot that has been getting on my nerves is the 'i'm-an-oc-girl-who-got-captured-by-the-akatsuki-and-now-they-love-me-and-i'm-one-of-them' fics. I have never seen a fic like this where any of the characters are actually IN character...or where the OC isn't a mary sue.
    I shall save you time.
    Tobi tries to be her bestest-best-buddy because he's a 'sweetie' at heart.
    Pain either tries to kill her or rape her.
    Deidara tries to seduce her, though not rape her because he's a nice guy.
    Itachi is rather sweet and the 'big brother' she has been missing.
    Kisame wants fish sticks and is often an idiot, following Itachi around like a lost puppy.
    Sasori is trying to suck Deidaras face off...or other random appendages.
    Konan is kissing the ground Pain walks on and is UBER jealous of the OC because she's so darn perfect and beautiful in every single way.
    Zetsu is rarely included.
    Hidan does his laugh, and is either a protective big brother, or a total perv and tries to get in her pants.
    Kakuzu wants to cut off her head and sell it because she's worth about a billion dollars (or whatever their currency is).
    I think that about covers what you will be missing when you skip over one of these stories.

24. Kankurette

^ I HATE bastardisation of Kisame. I don't know what's worse, him being turned into a moron, or him being shoved out of the fic because he's not pretty enough.

I've written this elsewhere, but:-
    - Gaara having friends as a kid. No no NO. He did NOT have friends. The kids in Suna hated and feared him.
    - Sakura being turned into a huge raging bitch who beats Naruto senseless, and is either humiliated or given what for by Hinata / Naruto / Ino / a Sue.
    - Shikamaru saying 'troublesome' all the time.
    - Lee and Gai saying 'youth' all the time.
    - Sasuke saying 'dobe' all the time.
    - Naruto as a weeping uke.
    - Hinata being raped and abused by Hiashi / Neji.
    - Chouji not doing anything besides eating, and not having a personality outside liking food a lot.
    - Paedo!Kakashi.
    - Akatsuki not acting like the motley crew of terrorists, religious fundamentalists, Norman Bateses, wannabe gods, megalomanics, plant men, serial killers and angsty bishounen that we know and love. EG when a fangirl finds their base and they don't kill her. Or they all sit around doing their nail polish and talking about their feelings.
    - Deidara saying 'un' at the end of every sentence. He says it when he's finished speaking. There's a difference.
    - Kyuubi calling Naruto 'kit'.
    - Badly written lemons.
    - Ino being a brainless bimbo.
    - Naruto goes back in time to meet his dad. Didn't one of the movies do this?
    - Hinata being turned into a Sue.
    - Naruto getting a kekkei genkai.
    - High school fics, especially where Kakashi or Jiraiya teaches sex ed.
    Yeah, Idiot!Kankuro annoys me too. Impulsive and hot-headed does not = stupid. Recent chapters show that Kankuro is actually intelligent.

As for Kiba being a misogynist, wtf? Tsume and Hana aside, he's never treated Hinata like crap. In fact, he likes her a lot. And he's never disrespected Kurenai for being a woman.

25. HolyDemon

Extensive psyche description is what would turn a linear story into a masterpiece. We could have just 2 whispering to each other, or sometimes just one person whispering to him/herself and still get the bigger picture. The dialogue, the feelings, the doubt and many trivial humane thoughts will slowly add up into the atmosphere. There may be little development, sometimes not at all, but readers can feel the humanistic behaviors, the authentic demographic and political context. It's even more realistic when such notions are formed not through an omniconscious point of view that knows all, see dialogue but from a puny mind who knows naught.

After all, you don't need to see everything to get the picture.

26. homo sapiens narutardis

Btw, did I already mention Bitch!Karin and Pervert!Sai? Since their appearance back in '07 these two have received a whole of hatred because of their involvement/resemblance to a certain Uchiha.

Karin does not hate Sakura or any other female for that matter. In fact, one of her lines to Sakura was, "Don't cry." Does that sound like something a bitch would say?

Sai is not a pervert. Yes, he's a little creepy, but that's because he's emotionally stunted. And seriously, in this day and age, green jokes and swearwords are just about as common as fish in the sea.

27. bloodplzkthxlol

yesyesyesyes and again yes. at first I thought kyuubi calling naruto his kit was cute but later it turned into a running gag again and again. it drives me crazy and its lost its taste. I guess I keep going on fanfiction because I actually hold hope that some people actually give 2 h00ts about the series they're writing about. turning every character ooc ISN'T FUNNY, if you take a step back and realize what you do to these characters you begin to wonder why you loved them in the first place.

I want a good akatsuki fanfiction with the actual crime genre, thats NOT CENTERED AROUND DEIDARA FOR PETES SAKE! no highschool fliks those have been done countless times and you expect someone to read that trash? this was a comic book about ninja's wasn't it? not some highschool soap opra with preteens talking about sexual intercourse and marriage?

yeah I know its says "unleash your imagination" but I wasn't expected so many people to have the same freaking idea! THINK before you post instead of clogging the tubes with this garbage. if you don't then it'll just be left forgotten under the piles of the exact same story (if you want to call it that), no one's gonna remember you and it'll just show the minutes you've wasted on your keyboard when you could've used your brain and actually try to gain an audience.

but no, people eat that shit up, and they get a lot of reviews saying make more, what? alright but hey, word of advice: you're missing out on good literature. *end ramble*

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  28. Kakashifan727

It's kinda sad really. How many more HS/ Akatsuki fics do we need to see?

29. Desert Butterfly

The thing that's been bothering me the most, lately, is: depiction of characters as one-dimensional people.
    Tenten as a weapon-maniac tomboy; Chouji as a binge eater with no life; Sakura as someone whose only purpose in the plot is fangirling over Sasuke/Naruto/whoever it is; Shikamaru constantly saying "Troublesome" and acting lazily; and so on and so forth.
    Seriously, ever heard of in-depth characterisation? There's more to the characters than their main hobby/love interest/general attitude.

30. Kakashifan727

i dunno if it's a cliche but something I personally find odd. In most of the OC-takes in Naruto/Sasuke and tries to care for them fics, they do everything almost perfectly and Naruto turns up the way he should in canon, albiet with a few changes. However, if they're not ninja who obviously have a damn good payroll, just working at Ichiraku's isn't going to cut it. It has to be at least minimum wage and those apartments don't look that cheap. They'd need at least two jobs, though that depends if they get the magical loan from the Sandaime plot device that usually happens. After working for those long hours, how the heck would they be able to train the kid, feed, bathe etc?

They'd pass out eventually or just be exhausted/cranky for most of the day. Especially with the teenage kids who are about college age, though most IRL are usually independent, some aren't. How could they take care of themselves, much less a 6-8 year old kid for five(?) years while working two jobs that are probably 6 hours long? It'd be impossible and we all know that the kid would suffer some small negligence as to the parent not being home due to the job, etc.

I dunno really...just my two cents on that.