1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

The Noumu Plot

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Yoshua, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

So I've been a humongous fan of MHA for a lot of reasons. The characters, the dynamics, the action, it's all been great. However, one of the things I have loved has been the story. Everything hooks up together. OFA and AFO, how their contributions have affected society, Stains fall and the rise of the LoV, Bakugou being kidnapped, the fall of All Might, and so on so forth. It's been great. Because each character has a reason for being there. Whether for symbolism, representation/evidence of a problem with society, or just to move the plot along, each character and faction has a reason for their existence.

However, there has been one exception to this rule. Or at least, an unknown factor. And that's the Noumu.

The Noumu have appeared as bio-weapons used by the LoV, which is cool and all. But in terms of their relevance to any characters or plot, they've kinda just... not had anything to do with anything or anyone. They just show up as mob enemies or bosses for the pro-heroes, and then are soundly defeated and never spoken of, except whenever they happen to reappear. But outside of that, nobody talks about them. The only case this has happened has been with Hawks and Endeavor, but that was just before the two of them got ambushed by High-End.

The Noumu have just felt off compared to everything else, which makes me curious. What exactly is Horikoshi trying to do with these Noumu? Because he could've just let them fade after AFO got beaten, but they're still kicking somehow. So what gives? Why keep them around as only foot soldiers when you could just get a bunch of thugs to do the same thing?

As it stands, we know only a few things about the Noumu:

1.) The Noumu are beings comprised of multiple quirks and are subservient to the villains.
    2.) The Noumu have been slowly getting more and more intelligent with each one. The first one could only follow orders, but the second wave had that winged one that went after Deku, possibly due to memories of him, and High End was actually able to think and speak.
    3.) The Noumu all are technically human.

That's basically all we know of them lore-wise. But that's it. However, those points make me start to wonder what Horikoshi is doing. He established they're human, and he's been slowly granting them individuality. Little by little, he's been evolving them. But as it stands, there's still no development in terms of their relations to anybody. No significance aside from being mindless soldiers. Why bother with developing their ability to think and speak if they're just gonna be grunts?

This makes me think, could it be possible that Horikoshi is amping up to have one of the students perhaps become a Noumu themselves? It could potentially be a tie in that would bring so many points together. Hawks, the doctor for AFO, how the Noumus are being made, the school traitor, etc.

What do you guys think? Would that make for an interesting development, to have one of the students become a Noumu?

Tags:
  2. White Wolf Retired Staff

Well it's already (heavily) theorised that the Winged Noumu that napped Deku during the Stain arc was at least in part Bakugo's childhood friend, which to some degree makes sense... where do they get all the quirks an shit to operate on? Someone has to pay the price and get sacrificed to make them.

Don't know how realistic it is for it to be a student, mainly someone in the main group... there hasn't been that many "dark" moments in the series so far to consider something so brutal (at least considering there doesn't seem to be any way to reverse the process).

It would be interesting though, and there are a lot of characters that don't get to shine... at all, so them being lost in that manner could be some interesting growth for the top few, but I dunno.

It depends on if they can even make more Noumu's after AFO got arrested; or if they're just stuck with what they have (and the top few which are "evolving" in the process to become stronger, more intelligent, etc)

3. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

Horikoshi confirmed that the winged Noumu was Deku's friend in a databook.

I'd say the entire concept of the Noumus is pretty dark to begin with. But I feel having one of the students become a Noumu and learn to thrive in that form would be kinda neat. Either that, or have a Noumu who has some individuality that befriends the class, that would also be interesting, with the class helping the Noumu adapt to their new body and life.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

I have full confidence that the Noumus will be very relevant in coming arcs, they serve as A. An easy way for heroes in this series to utterly murk opponents with attacks that would realistically kill the average human and have more violent fights without it being too gorey since even though they're human they aren't 'really' human B. The allow for much more dynamic fights by having mulitple qurks to work with, allowing Horikoshi to bend his own world rules a bit in a way that makes sense and C. The fact they are made from human beings will undoubtedly be played for drama and plot developments later down the line, especially with that Horikoshi has hinted at.

I think the main reason the Noumu haven't been the focus is because there have been more relevant/mandatory things to cover first before we get into the nitty gritty stuff we really want to know about like that(similar to the One For All lore), and I feel like we have since left the stage of the story where the stuff holding back that kind of thing is really there, so hopefully we'll be seeing more lore/world building-esque arcs in the near future. The thing I really appreciate about this story is that I'm never sure where it goes from where it is, but it's never in a frustrating way, each new development and arc feels like a natural progression and since the manga has so many places to play with it overloads my mind with ideas of what could happen next, like I could not tell you where the story could really go from here beside maybe Deku doing some independent research into the history of One For All

5. White Wolf Retired Staff

Oh neat.

Well yeah that does open the door to some possibilities if he's already confirmed that aspect, having a "hero"-esque Noumu that's aware of who he was prior would be intriguing to see :ahmm
    They're definitely going to be more relevant since I know there's no doubt that we have yet to see the last of AFO, and he'll most likely utilize them heavily for his escape/return.

6. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

But would I rather have Shinsou join Class A or a Noumu?:psyduck These choices...:dammit

7. White Wolf Retired Staff

Hmm, that's interesting though if you could build your own Noumu out of the known U.A heroes (Excluding Deku, Todoroki, Bakugo, Iida and Ochako since those 5 are I think way too ingrained into the story to turn IMO :hm), which quirks would you combine?

If they were to take a student it can't be someone with a trash quirk... else it wouldn't make too much sense outside of just story growth. Shinsou's mind control is an interesting contender but it'd need to be (probably?) a more intelligent Noumu that can actually utilize it with some level of strategy.

8. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

I would imagine Momo's quirk would be devastating if combined with other quirks. Give her enhanced strength, regeneration, the ability to make mini-noumus like the High-End could... she'd be terrifying to face.

9. Kellogem Well-Known Member

I think its just an easy way of putting in opponents with monstrous strength into the story whenever they are needed.. with proper villains it'd raise the question where were they before, how they didnt get shot down by All Might and why'd they join forces with the LoV when their members are kind of mediocre in term of strength. There is only so much Muscular, Stain and Gigantomachia you can pull out before it gets fishy like high caliber villains just poping up one after the other.

OTOH with noumu, the author can always just go "oh, the noumu research is going well, we created another super strong one" whenever he wants. also the weak ones good for canon fodder - sure, you can use thugs for that, but I think its more time consuming designing-wise than the Noumus which most if them are like result of a Noumu generator and it makes everything more convenient than selling the idea the LoV is just keeps recruiting small time thugs in alleyways.. and if the design or power of a thug is interesting, its a waste to use as disposable pawn, if its not, whats the point anyway, you can just use those meat-dolls.

10. HellFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

I actually wonder if at some time in the future Bakugo will learn the fate of his childhood buddy and how that might affect him.

11. luffy no haki 1st Seat

Yeah, its kinda weird tho. That guy was part of his bakuhomies all the way till junior high school. He really didnt get notice of his disappearing at least?:hmm

12. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I kinda want their to be a Nomu uprising, Shiggy has to regain control over them as they rebel in the streets. High end can talk and possible communicate with the others. The Nomu's themselves bring fear, adding multiple quirks drastically ups their power, we saw how a bunch of mid range heroes were getting bodied by a mid range Nomu. Only top heroes will be able to fight them. This creates fear among the populace, there are probably tens of thousands of heroes in Japan, but if only a couple hundred are capable of fucking with mass produced ones, people have to live in fear.

One of the things Shiggy wants is for people to act on their own initiative, so many people just don't do the things they should because they expect a hero to do it. You have a crowd of a thousand citizens, 80% at least have a quirk, they could maul a Nomu to death but they won't. They see a homeless beaten child on the streets, they will wait for a hero to do something about it.

Well, its similar to american schools where people don't always go to the same schools between elementary, middle and highschools. I say the problem is exacerbated a bit since because of the train system, your options for school are vastly opened up, so its extremely likely that you won't go to the same schools. Even with all the modern day shit, staying up to date with classmates is next to impossible, if they haven't seen each other since before middle school Bakugo may have completely forgotten him.

13. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

Honestly, that's a cool idea. I'm pretty sure not all of the Noumus are people who were on a sign up list, probably a lot are abductees. I could see something in the future where a Noumu has enough of their mind still remaining, and uses their strength to break free and escape into the city/wild. We then have an arc with some of class 1-A helping capture the Noumu, and perhaps even bond with it.

14. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

15. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

Holy crap I don't know why but I just got FMA vibes from dog-girl
    What if he is fighting a Nomu and the Nomu is just evading and trying to defend himself. Baku is obviously going to start for the kill since that is his personality. Then in the middle of the fight the Nomu goes:
    >Ba.....ku....go?
    O_O!

His fucking face would look terrified like Edward's and he'd break down not knowing what to do. Then this could be a pivotal moment for him going back to what AM said that you can't save everyone. He would realize this first hand omg now I want Baku to fight a Nomu 1v1

16. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

One thing about Nomus is that they are pretty dumb. I'm sure the guy with the Brainwash/Mind Bend quirk could control one of them for his use. I mean I don't 100% know the technicalities of his Quirk since I sort of forgot him but if he could just get one of those mid-range Nomus to bark back at him then he could control they ass and have a powerful ally.

Acid girl could also finally showcase her going all out. Her acid seems odd for a Hero but the author also seems to hold her back. We've seen it go through steel and concrete and robots and a whole bunch of other stuff. IDK why she just doesn't melt villains with it. Maybe her vs a Nomu would finally shine her abilities and she will Goo-ify a Nomu from head to toe showing how strong she is.