1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by RavenSupreme, Jul 16, 2018.

1. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

How much do you lift? what exercises do you do? How often do you work out? Do you have any tips/hints you want to share?

Discuss anything related to working out here.

Tags:
  2. Island In the Sun Moderator

United States
    I ride my bike and am part of a running group, but I don't do any lifting.

I used to go to the gym semi-regularly in college because it was free, but I can't be bothered getting a gym membership.

3. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    I wish Robert Hadyn and Avraell were still here.

4. StarlyMermaid Flower that grew from concrete

I used to run lightly and do yoga around the start of 2016 and I was in a really bad place (I struggle with BPD).

2017 came around and a friend of mine talked me into enlisting for the marine corps and I thought it sounded great. As I trained with them, they gave me something so much better than weight loss. I gained confidence, some aggression and a voice and some friends that I still follow on twitter, insta and stuff. I also learned to push my boundaries and that comfort is an illusion. So 2017 was when I started to do more than just running and cardio and it was when I finally ran a mile without stopping. So once I was able to finish a mile (or more), the next goal was to sprint it/them and beat my previous times.
    I started doing auxillary workouts and HIIT. Such as push-ups, squats, lunges, and stuff like that.
    So I would do this:
    3-5 minutes of jump rope
    30-45 seconds of:
    Jumping jacks
    Wall sits
    Push-ups
    Sit-ups
    High knee step ups
    Tricep dips
    Squats
    Planks
    High knees
    Lunges
    Left side plank
    Right side plank
    Mountain Climbers
    1-2 mile run

I changed it up like adding resistance with dumbbells, or doing a different workout. This was most of 2017. Plus I'd workout with marines about 1-2 times a week depending on the recruiters.

2018 is when I finally started going to the gym.
    Now what I do is: less cardio and more lifting.
    Except for on leg day, I will run a mile or two before lifting weights (sometimes). I will either run or jump rope, stair master for as long as I can (always trying to beat my previous limit), OR high incline on the treadmill.
    Sometimes, I just walk (speed walk) to the gym since it's about 2 miles from where I live and that'll be the cardio for the day.

No specific days set, just try to get them done during the week. I do the usual split which is bi's/back/shoulders, tri's/chest/shoulders, legs/sometimes shoulders, and abs/cardio. On my rest days sometimes I'll go play soccer or something. Also I don't really care to have a day specifically for abs at the gym because I have free weights and dumbells at home and it can be done there unless I wanna do knee raises or something.

Why are shoulders done on those days? I don't know. I don't know which muscle group is appropriate for them so I do them along with arms and sometimes legs when doing power squats or squat press. My husband and I don't agree with my workout regime bc of it. He does shoulders when he does legs.

The next few weeks I'm going to change it up a bit to cause my body some stress.
    It'll be legs/back, bi's/shoulders, tri's/chest/back and fast paced yoga for abs.
    Hopefully my body responds well and I see some change.

5. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Wow thats a really great progress. Are you satisfied with it so far?

6. StarlyMermaid Flower that grew from concrete

No, I can be better :( But yes I have come a long way. My uhhh booty and my arms are more firm and sculpted so that's pretty motivational and I've noticed my back is looking stronger. I'm still kinda thick where I don't wanna be lol.

You asked how much I lift?
    It's not impressive or anything D:

When I bench press, I max out at 95. I use dumbbells sometimes for more range and I start off with 20. Then 25 and end with sets using 27.5. The gyms I've been to have numbers in between the multiples of 5. So, it's like 5, then 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5 and so on and that's perfect honestly if you're trying to move up.

When curling, I start off with an ez bar (or straight bar) 30lbs. 5x5. Then move on to 12.5 and end with 10. I do resistance curls too but the numbers on those machines are different. For me it's harder to curl a resistance of 12.5 than to just curl 12.5 dumbbells, lawd it hurts

Since legs are a bigger muscle, I push myself by adding 10-20 pounds more between sets. I max out at 140 sadly. Only 2 measly reps :C For deadlifts, my max is 110. My back is surprisingly stronger than it looks lol. Legs are a bigger muscle so they hurt more and take a lot out of you haha. But they can also handle a lot more.

Um idk if you want to know anything else just ask :)

7. Aphrodite

I thought we already had a thread like this here?

8. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Well it certainly sounds like an inspiring journey. I just started recently to work out a litte and its things like these which keep me going.

Keep up the good work

9. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Super Moderator

Another fitness thread! Great! I try to exercise daily doing one of the following:
    • Mountain bike
    • Rowing machine
    • Bowflex Max Trainer (stepper)
    • Walks
    • Calisthenics

10. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

How long is your daily routine, when you do any of this?

11. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

What kind of music are you listening to while doing workout? Any playlist to keep you fired up?

12. savior2005 Well-Known Member

I hit the gym 3 times a week (sometimes 4, the extra session being cardio and stretching only)

My workouts consist of a warmup of half mile walk/run.

Then I lift full body workout style, consisting primarily of Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Overhead press, Pull/Chin ups, and Rows. I don't do all these exercises for each workout, rather I alternate (ex: Monday: Squat, Bench, Row. Wednesday: Overhead press, Deadlift, Pull/Chin Ups etc)
    I also do accessory exercises like curls and triceps pulldowns and abs with each workout (again not all at once, but rather alternating) but sometimes I skip them if I'm short on time.

Then after I'm done with my lifts, I do anywhere from 1.5-2.5 miles of walking/jogging/running. I'll also usually do foam rolls before or after cardio, depending on if there's space in the gym for me to do it (that sections usually full).

This stuff has been working for me quite well. In a little over a year, I lost 100lbs, going from 265 to 165, altho now I'm 180 due to vacation and slacking on my diet. However, I do try to count calories, which is a big part of my success. I do the workouts that I do because I enjoy being able to run a few miles at a good pace and I like to increase my strength on the big lifts.

13. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Youre doing this a whole year already? Thats awesome. How long does this routine takes? Sounds like 60+ minutes for sure.

14. savior2005 Well-Known Member

I did this for the past year and still do it now. Yes, it takes me about 1.5-2 hours, but I can only make it to the gym like 3 times a week, so when I'm there I stay there a while.

15. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Wow thats a lot of work. I am currently trying to get a little fitness done myself. But at best I manage to do around 20 minutes. 12 of which being jumping rope and the remaining 8 being some regular body weight training.

What kept you motivated for that entire year?

16. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Super Moderator

It varies a lot. If it's mountain biking I'll usually go for a couple hours on the weekend. With certain types of calisthenics, like burpees, I'll only do 15 minutes. A nice relaxing walk can be half an hour to an hour. Forgot to mention that I also hike in the mountains, which can be several hours. I don't have a rigid routine or specific goals. The most important thing to me is to get some form of physical activity every day and find a way to enjoy it.

I do want to get into more strength training with weights, which is not something I'm doing currently. As a woman, I'm obviously not looking for bulk but it's really important for bone density and toning. It's been fun when I've done it in the past and it was enjoyable to see progress and gain strength. So that's kind of my next project.

I generally listen to podcasts or audiobooks. Music is honestly better because you get into the rhythm and work out harder, but I just do whatever I can do look forward to the time spent exercising, and for me that means informational content. What do you listen to?

17. savior2005 Well-Known Member

Seeing improvement both visually (less fat) and physically (more healthy, stronger, faster, not being winded after a flight of stairs)

18. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Interesting concept. Doing stuff outside would likely keep the motivation up compared to staring at a wall for every training session. And when its about adding in something positive for your life the expectations and stress to reach "result X" are missing, allowing for fun while doing sports. I like it.

The first week since I started to work out (I am just in my second week overall, have not done any sporty activity in more than 9 years) I did it without music and that felt a little weird. Now I just listen to my randomly shuffled spotify playlist but I feel thats not really enough. Sometimes it switches from a catchy electro swing which pumps me up and doubles my swings jumping rope to some classical song which I added in the same playlist for whatever reason, completely throwing me off my rhythm.

I mostly train at home right now. Not feeling like doing anything outside or in a gym, so there is no problem with what I am listening to and how tho.

Thats great. Im sure you will keep it up even further. How long have you needed to motivate you to actually do something about your fitness? I was kind of sloppy for almost a decade and just now decided to get up my ass. And what was the motivation for you to start to begin with?

19. savior2005 Well-Known Member

It took me 8 years to get motivated. In those 8 years, I went from skinny fat to super obese. What motivated me one day was me thinking that I'm in my mid 20's and eating away my life. I felt like shit throughout the day (other than when I was eating), I had no energy to do things, I was completely unappealing visually. My already xlarge clothes were getting super tight and I didn't want to buy another set of larger clothes. Now, I'm down to about a medium.

20. StarlyMermaid Flower that grew from concrete

I make a different one if I get bored of the last one and trust me when I say it varies and it's not all like rock or hard rock or rap.
    Apparently my brain responds well to variety when working out. I get irritated if I listen to the same thing too often and I'm not sure why?
    Right now the playlist looks like this:

Drake - Nice For What
    Drake - Nonstop
    Drake - Fancy
    Ariana Grande - Into you
    Chicos de barrio - El baile del gavilan
    Ne-Yo - Because of You
    Rihanna - Needed Me
    Demi Lavato - Sorry not sorry
    The Weeknd - I feel it coming
    Majid Jordan - Her
    Shakira - Chantaje
    J Lo - If you had my love
    and some other stuff

Sometimes I'll listen to Metallica and Tupac lol

21. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

thanks thats a good list. gonna use that to get inspired

-

I replaced my Latte Macchiatto Caramel Creme coffee x2 with a Fruit tea.

Never realized that I basically add 400 calories every morning when drinking that shit without having done anything else that day

22. StarlyMermaid Flower that grew from concrete

Yeah D: I used to pay attention to carbs more so than calories. I don't now and I see that I've gotten a little bigger (in a good way) and feel less tired since adding more carbs to the diet. I mean carbs from oatmeal or toast or pasta or potatoes.
    Lol admittedly I stray from the diet more often that I mean to and eat carbs from burgers (I love burgers and tacos) and end up feeling pretty bad about it.

Try focusing on low carb rather than low calorie things because eventually and if you stay dedicated to working out, you'll have a faster metabolism and you'll burn more calories through out the day. I think that if you plan on taking a break, then less carbs that day and if you're gonna work out that day, then more carbs if that makes any sense. So on a rest day, have lots of greens and some meat, and on work out days, oatmeal for breakfast for example.