1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Roleplaying Section is hosting their latest create-a-character contest. This month's theme is "Magical Girls."

Check it out here!.
    Dismiss Notice

The OFFICIAL Metal Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Tazmo, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mider T VM Rapist

The Post-Super Naruto era is finally over:bury

2. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I'll make a list with my favourites black metal albums of the year later today. Hard to choose just 10-15 tho, because it's been a lot of great releases.

3. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I don't have many albums that are very depressive, but I got a decent amount of good albums if nothing else.

Helheim - landawarijaR
    A very unique black metal album and by far their best album since 1999's Terrorveldet. So good in fact that I've started to appreciate all the albums from The Journeys and the Experiences of Death and to this, which I did not do before.

The Great Old Ones - EOD: A Tale of Dark Legacy
    Post-black metal inspired by H. P. Lovecraft. It is their third album and by far their best, in with each album they are not only getting better, but they also manage to capture more and more of the lovely H. P. Lovecraft feeling.

Wampyrinacht - We Will Be Watching. Les cultes de Satan et les mystères de la mort
    These guys started all the way back in 1995, but only released a demo in 96 and an EP in 98. Almost 20 years later they get their debut album out (written in the mid 90's and recorded between 2000-2002) and what a glorious album it is. Probably one of the better black metal albums of the 2000's so far.

Front Beast - Third Scourge from Darkness
    Raw, rotten and ancient black metal.

Aek Gwi - Hideous Dreams
    A mix of black metal, dark ambient and doom metal. This album sounds evil, haunting, dark and twisted. Aek Gwi is a one-man band with one album, a demo, some splits and stuff from before, and this is his second and last album. With him he's got Fumika Souzawa of the Japanese funeral doom band Begräbnis and Li Chao of Chinese ambient horror project Li Chao. Twisted asian horror music.

Paranoid - Praise No Deity
    Calling this black metal is a bit perhaps not quite right, but the black metal influence is there for sure. Raw, furious d-beat in the vein of Disclose, Framtid and Discharge mixed with some Hellhammer, Darkthrone (The Cult is Alive) and Venom. Fantastic band, and live they're absolutely insane. Top notch!

Emyn Muil - Elenion Ancalima
    Emyn Muil released his debut album back in 2013, a Tolkien-inspired epic black metal band in the vein of Summoning. Not quite a rip off, but it's where the band got its main inspiration for the music. At times he was onto something, but the songs were too short and never managed to grab me at all. For his second album he upped the song-lenghts a lot and it has really worked magic. Sounds like a medieval Summoning. Epic, majestic, amazing. One of the albums of the year IMO.

Whoredom Rife - Dommedagskvad
    Grim and mean, but rather epic and melodic. One of a thousand fantastic black metal bands from Trondheim.

Midnight - Sweet Death and Ecstasy
    Midnight quickly gained status as a cult band and it was well-deserved. Catchy black/speed/rock n fuckin roll. Venom meets Motorhead. Another great effort from Midnight.

Cradle of Filth - Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay
    People will tell you this ain't black metal, and maybe they're right. But with their last two albums, Hammer of the Witches and this, Cradle of Filth has gone back in time and found a lot of inspiration in their second and third album. And while not as good as Hammer of the Witches, it's their second best effort since Cruelty and the Beast IMO.

Xanthochroid - Of Erthe and Axen Act I & II
    Cinematic black metal, they call their genre. And as stupid as that sounds, it's not too far fetched. Imagine mid-era Emperor, earlier Opeth, Wintersun (debut), Ne Obliviscaris and Dimmu Borgir having a child. That's basically what this sounds like. A double album. Good, fun stuff.

Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven
    While not original, this felt like a new sound for WitTR. Much more back to the roots, but grimmer than ever IMO. Liked it hella lot!

Demon Bell - Evoked & Menacing
    Black/speed metal in the vein of early Bathory, Venom and such. Total fucking badass!

Baise Ma Hache - Vive la Mort!
    French black metal extremely inspired by Peste Noire to the point where some of their releases can be called rip-offs. But it works. But this time they seem to find a bit more inspiration from demo-era and debut album of Peste Noire, as well as Autarcie and Sale Freux. Both bands are or have been old school Peste Noire clones at some point, tho. But I really like these guys.

Obscure Burial - Obscure Burial
    Black/death metal with strong Necrovore, Incubus and demo-era Morbid Angel vibes. A damn fine album!

Beastiality - Worshippers of Unearthly Perversions
    Black/death/thrash in the vein of old masters like Bathory, Mefisto, Treblinka and so on. A really, really cool album.

Cosmic Church / Kêres
    Split between two Finnish bands. Four tracks and 40 minutes of cold, melancholic black metal. Both sides are great, but as Cosmic Church are one of the better bands from Finland over the past 25 years it should come as no surprise that their side is the best one. Brilliant!

Drudkh / Paysage d'Hiver
    Another split which contains two Drudkh tracks and one Paysage d'Hiver tracks. A bit weird combo as Drudkh is more autumn-like and Paysage d'Hiver is a mean blizzard in the form of music. But both bands deliver the goods. The Drudkh tracks sounds like something off Forgotten Legends and Paysage d'Hiver sounds like Paysage d'Hiver. Paysage d'Hiver wins this btw. Ice cold black metal!

Nordlicht / Paysage d'Hiver
    I've not exactly heard this split yet. But the Paysage d'Hiver track was up on myspace some time back and I think this'll be the exact same version, and that track was immense! Also, this will be the first Nordlicht material in 15 years. Excited!

Cultes des Ghoules / Sepulchral Zeal
    Cultes des Ghoules is a band that just doesn't stop impressing me. Released one of the most impressive black metal albums of all time with last years Coven..., an almost 2 hour long black metal album that never got boring or anything. This track sounds like classic CdG. It's got strong Mortuary Drape and Necromantia-vibes to it, and it's occult and cool as fuck. Sepulchral Zeal leans more towards death metal, but does in many ways sounds like a death metal version of CdG. Not quite as good, but very cool.

Sale Freux - Vindilis
    Like always, there's something really weird and off with the production. The guitar sounds is thin and the drums sounds like crap, but I just can't get enough of this band. Peste Noire worship to the bones, but amazing. Makes me want to go to the French country-side, settle down a long way from anyone and anything and drink piss-warm, homebrewed beer and let my beard and hair grow.

Goatmoon - Stella Polaris
    I was never a huge fan of Goatmoon, but they got a track here and a track there that I liked. But with Stella Polaris he really managed to impressive. It sounds typical finnish, but that's not negative at all as I am a huge fan of that modern, melodic scene. This is a bit more jolly and folky, but it totally works. A total fucking cheesefest, but that's fun. Listen to the tittle track. That part when it turns heavy metal is so cool. Cheesy, but cool.

4. Cubey

I listened to thrice woven twice yesterday. Terrific album. Two hunters was great too. And yeah I know the Seattle black metal scene gets a lot of shit but it just impressed me :kanyeshrug

Adding

The great old ones
    Aek gwi
    Emyn muil
    Whoredom rife
    Xanthochroid
    Paysage
    Cosmic church

To the list

Gonna listen to Cultes des Ghoules / Sepulchral Zeal and wampyrinacht right now.

In the meantime check out this dope metal/hardcore hybrid. Nothing new, just raw aggression

5. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Will check it out. Talking about metal/hardcore albums, Integrity, one of the original metalcore that actually kept the sound of both hardcore and metal in their sound (as opposed to Killswitch Engage and all the 1054604684161 bands that were inspired by them) released a new, great album under the title Howling, for the Nightmare Shall Consume last year. Really cool album. Dark and crushing.

6. Cubey

I’ll look into that one once I’ve finished going through your recs. Paradise lost’s Medusa though :obamabury

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Paradise Lost seems to have made a fine comeback to good music after Nick Holmes joined Bloodbath in 2012. After Bloodbath released Grand Morbid Funeral (which was a huge step up from the boring The Fathomless Mastery), Paradise Lost went back to a more death/doom-oriented sound with The Plague Within and Medusa. That is not a coincidence. Nick Holmes joining Bloodbath is the best and most important thing to happen to the band since the release of Draconian Times.

Still prefer their earliest stuff, tho. But the two last albums have been a back to form for sure.

8. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I finally got a hold of these demo tapes:

Sigh - Desolation
    Sigh - Tragedies
    Sigh - Tragedies 1991 Demo

After searching for these for well over 10 years (closer to 15), I finally got my hand onto them earlier this week. The price was incredible and the condition looks near mint on both Desolation and the Tragedies 1991 Demo. Tragedies also looks fine, but I gotta change the case on it.

That takes me up to 31 Sigh releases, but I still don't own a single copy of the following releases:

The Eastern Force Of Evil; Live '92-'96
    Scenario IV: Dread Dreams
    Hangman's Hymn - Musikalische Exequien
    Scenes From Hell
    In Somniphobia
    Scorn Defeat 20th Anniversary Gig
    Kindred Of The Dying Kind / Young Burial
    To Hell And Back: Sigh's Tribute To Venom (cassette)

I also don't have all versions of their other releases, so I still got a long way to go before I get a complete collection.

9. Farto i'm super gay and not powerful Retired Staff

Demo cassettes in that condition certainly aren't easy to come by.

10. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

They sure ain't, but they've been in the collection of two who takes really good care of the music. Not sure if it has had more owners, but the first owner of the two I know of is a black metal musician who also has a label and a record shop. Cares about music and takes good care of stuff. The other one I don't know much about, but he collects both music and VHS and all the pictures I've seen, as well as what I received myself, has looked like it's in excellent condition.

Asked why he sold off so much, but he had a huge collection and simply didn't have the space anymore. So he's got a huge amount of vinyl and tapes for sale, as well as some old VHS tapes that I really want.

But Happy they were in such good condition. Will be sure to take good care of them myself.

11. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

12. Farto i'm super gay and not powerful Retired Staff

That's the idea but it's so rarely the case, especially with bands that started off making 10-50 copies of their demo tapes. I'd really like the Boris demo cassettes but they don't appear often and go for a lot, and I have no idea what kind of condition that entails, either.

13. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

I don't know if the convention in this section is that you can make threads to discuss specific albums, or if it's supposed to go in the respective genre mega-threads. Anyway I made a thread about Judas Priest's new album that just came out today. Mods feel free to merge if it goes against the section policy.

14. haiduk New Member

Haiduk

\m/

15. Farto i'm super gay and not powerful Retired Staff

I had a feeling I would like the new Keiji Haino / Sumac record.

And I was right. This is wonderful, the right kind of Keijo Haino madness with that oomph from Sumac.

16. Ernel32.dll Virtue Signaling In The Global North Retired Staff

> tfw when u've been sleeping on Animals as Leaders because u mistook them for The Animal Collective