1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Give your waifu the ultimate gift - being crowned the most popular waifu on NF by helping her win in Senjou’s “NF Waifu Popilarity Contest”

Feeling extra confident? You can now bet on your Waifu as well for fun forum prizes here

Come on with everything your waifu does for, you should do this for your waifu.
  4. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.
  5. The latest NF Newsletter is out (October), read it here

The OFFICIAL Metal Thread (The Post-Super Naruto Era) - Part 1

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Tazmo, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Mod

2. Uncle Acid Active Member

Kodama is Alcest's best release since Souvenirs d'un autre monde. Music-wise it's more or less the same as Écailles de lune and Les Voyages de l'âme, albeit a bit less metallic. The music or songwriting itself isn't better, but unlike both Écailles de lune and Les Voyages de l'âme Kodama doesn't have a track that feels a bit out of place. I think both Solar Song and Beings of Light are excellent songs, but they feel a bit different from the rest. This new album, Kodama, doesn't have a track like that. It's more pierced together in a way.

Sounds absolutely brilliant! I have rarely heard Winterhalter more interesting than on this album. He just keeps getting better and better with each release he's on. Superb drummer.

3. Vault Time: Donut of the heart

4. Cubey Well-Known Member

5. Scud .

New Decrepit Birth single is finally out. They went back to their roots a bit, and I have to admit, I really like it.

6. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Mod

Out of all the 'post black' bands still pumping out shit, I'm still fairly keen on these guys. I think the Post Punk and throaty vocals probably help, since I loved Otta, Svartir Sandir and Kold. Hopefully it's awesome.

7. Uncle Acid Active Member

Newer Solstafir is as much "post black" as Rihanna and Beyonce tbh.

8. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Mod

I guess I can't listen to it then

9. Uncle Acid Active Member

That wasn't the point, was it? So why the salty reply?

10. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Mod

Solstafir is well on their way to being a meathead Sigur Ros, especially with their most latest outing, but I still like the band and their newer stuff. I think either Kold or Masterpiece of Bitterness are my favorite releases, though.

11. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Mod

12. Larcher Ten Feet Up

New Converge is upon us, this track is fantastic. It captures the atmospheric feel you can lose yourself in songs like Cruel Bloom and Wretched World, but als has sludgy and grit filled passages as well. I'm sure the album is going to be great.

13. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

just listened to animus's "poems for the arching, swords for the infuriated" and im pretty fucking impressed to say the least. never looked into the sub-genre but are there any other depressive black metal albums like it?

14. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Mod

15. Uncle Acid Active Member

I haven't heard this album in ages, but I believe Velvet Cacoon's "Genevieve" is probably what you're looking for. The Animus album also has Burzum's "Hvis lyset tar oss" written all over it.

Also, I wrote a small list of the best depressive black metal albums of all time, as well as some words on the sub-genre itself not too long ago. Could post it here if you're interested in more from the genre.

16. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

thanks man and yeah id love to see that. really loving the noisey wall of sound thing that genevieve and animus have going on (the latter leaves a much better impression on me, with its synth and otherwordly vocals thrown in, than the former).

17. Uncle Acid Active Member

Some might disagree with including an album like Hvis lyset tar oss, because is it really depressive black metal? Well, it sure is borderline. But a lot of the albums released post-94 that has the depressive black metal tag to them are heavily influenced by and based around much of the sound of Hvis lyset tar oss, End of Life, Strid, Ravens over the Road of Kings, Forgotten Woods, Through the Woods, As the Wolves Gather, Sjel av natten and a few more. And while that doesn't make the original album a part of the subgenre itself, I do feel like Hvis lyset tar oss belongs on the list. The others aren't even debatable, because they are depressive black metal.

Strid - End of Life
    Strid - Strid
    Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
    Forgotten Woods - As the Wolves Gather
    Forgotten Woods - The Curse of Mankind
    Forgotten Woods - Sjel av natten
    Forgotten Woods - Forgotten Woods / Through the Woods
    Nidhoggr - Ravens Over the Road of Kings
    Wigrid - Hoffnungstod
    Wigrid - Die Asche eines Lebens
    Nyktalgia - Nyktalgia
    Hypothermia - Rakbladsvalsen
    Hypothermia - Gråtoner
    Hypothermia - Veins
    Hypothermia - Köld
    Trist - Stíny
    Trist - Sebevražední andělé
    Trist - Zrcadlení melancholie
    Xashur - Nocturnal Poisoning
    Xasthur - The Funeral of Being
    Make a Change... Kill Yourself - II
    Austere - Withering Illusions and Desolation
    Austere - To Lay like Old Ashes
    Lifelover - Pulver
    Lifelover - Konkurs
    Drowning the Light - Drowned
    Woods of Desolation - Toward the Depths
    Woods of Desolation - Sorh
    Min Kniv - Av aske
    Nargaroth - Geliebte des Regens
    Brocken Moon - Das Märchen vom Schnee
    I Shalt Become - Wanderings
    Mortualia - Mortualia

Then you have bands and albums like Bethlehem (Dictius Te Necare), Celestia (Apparitia - Sumptuous Spectre), Leviathan (The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide), Mortifera (Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera), Sombres forêts (Quintessence), Gris (Neurasthénie), Amesoeurs (s/t) and some others which is borderline depressive black metal, I'd say. But enough to be included? I don't know. And nor do I care really. But all these albums rules.

Anyway, the list - 33 albums, but only 19 different artists. Tells you everything you need to know about this sub-genre IMO, even though some of these bands have released other good albums aside from the ones listed.

But after the boom in the early 00's a billion and two bands formed, but the vast majority is as hilariously bad as they are sad (in a bad way) and ridiculous. The albums connected to the whole depressive black metal sub-genre are usually very, very good, or simply bad. There's rare to find something inbetween IMO, even tho it does exist of course.

But this is a genre I play a lot during winter. Bands like Trist, I Shalt Become, Woods of Desolation, Hypothermia, Forgotten Woods and Strid are in heavy rotation during the whole winter and have been for many, many years now. Especially Trist is nothing short of perfect during this time of year, and probably the band I play most during winter alongside Paysage d'Hiver. Perfect!

The worst example of this subgenre is probably this hilarious piece of music:

Good on them having an elephant doing the vocals, tho.

Once upon a time there was also lots of hype surrounding bands like I'm in a Coffin, Happy Days, Nocturnal Depression, Thy Light and others. But I don't get it at all. Think they all suck donkey balls, and they all seem like big jokes to me.

18. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Mod

Had no idea Primitive Man had released a full album yesterday.

Fantastic surprise.