1. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Breakfast!
    Deadline for entries: February 10th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Art Lounge Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We consider ideas for a brand name. You can probably come up with a good one. Click. Within cells, interlinked.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Come enter in Flash Fiction -- Photo!
    Deadline for entries: January 29th by 11:59pm EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

The official Psyren deserves to be WSJ top 3 thread

Discussion in 'Featured Manga of December 2009 (a)' started by cbus05, Dec 2, 2009.

1. cbus05

Just as the title says. This series as far as writing quality (and addictiveness) should make it top 3 in the WSJ. OF course, it's not.

If anybody objectively reads Naruto, Bleach, OP, then Psyren, it would be hard to say Naruto and Bleach are a higher quality manga than Psyren. OP is hard to say since it can be amazing at times (although occasionally it takes a step in the shitter... ie.. davy back arc, amazon lily).

So here is to hoping more people start reading Psyren from this thread and boost the popularity!

Tags:
  2. Lord Jure

Psyren is definitely better than current Naruto. Bleach and One Piss were never good. I don't understand why this manga just isn't popular.

3. Ennoea

I do agree it deserves more attention, I think it started out just too stereotypical and put off alot of readers. Anyway lets be glad SJ is still giving the manga a chance.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Akatora

No thanks, if so it would become mainstream and likely lose at alot of what we like about it

get it a solid spot between 5 and 10 is what it deserve this way the mangaka got an easier time ending it when he want rather than making it into to much of a money machine that need to be milked

I suspect that this happened to Bleach, but i'd have to have lots of TOCs to look through from that area to have a chance

without that it'll remain speculation

5. Adachi

In order to qualify for the top 3, a series must fulfill either:

a) being as shitty a series as Naruto and Bleach (which I doubt you can top) and still maintain high popularity from the massive amount of people who cannot appreciate real manga

b)being as FUCKAWESOME AS WAN PISS

So, your choice.

6. Gene

choice a seems like the most likely option then

7. Inugami

it can!.. just need too focus more on shitty romance triangles and make more long the fights .

8. cbus05

okay, maybe by traditional standars, it shoudln't be top 3, but according to NF quality manga readers, this manga should be pimped as the best manga in WSJ. I still enjoy reading some WSJ mangas (namely one piece) but to be honest, the top ranking manga clearly are simply inferior to Psyren at this point, and since this it the Manga of the month thread, i feel it's important to increase the Psyren pimpage out there. So Psyren fans, please... increase your pimpage!! it's important!

9. LivingHitokiri

Since when Quality is topping wsj?

10. Cochise

Toriko will climb into that spot before Psyren, it rates very highly. I have the feeling that Beelzebub will eventually make it there to. Psyren, meh, not sure.

11. Gene

idk about Toriko, but Beel and Psy will have to overcome their yoyo habits in the reader polls first if they want to make it to the top 3

12. Waveblade

Indeed. That said I'd just like for Psyren to stabilise in a nice middle position, it rise from there if it wanted.

13. Cochise

The reason I mention Toriko over the other two is that it is very successful in the polls. It beats out Naruto and Bleach fairly often, or it had been doing so. I haven't seen the polls in awhile, but if I had to guess, it's only picking up steam in Japan. Funny, because I think Psyren is more suited for US audiences. If Psyren's popularity were to skyrocket and replace Naruto (I can't imagine Kishimoto's series lasting much longer), I think it would translate well around here. Then again, anime has a lot to do with cross cultural success, so yeah. Toriko has anime, but I don't think it has the right build for most Americans or Brits to like, not that the Japanese really care what we think. Oh well, who knows? I certainly don't. Maybe Psyren will be a trinity member someday with another new manga and One Piece. One Piece will never be out of the trinity, namely because it will never end.

14. Truekakarot

Psyren is likely destined to be the next Mx0. Or it could have some awesome story arc that makes it a hit of Hitman Reborn!/Gintama status

"The manga(Mx0) was intended to run for longer, but due to the low ratings it had in Weekly Sh┼Źnen Jump it was put up for cancellation."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  15. Yoshi-Paperfold

I wouldn't compare MX0 and psyren. Mx0 story arcs had potential, but they were poorly executed (i.e The Targeted Culture Festival). Psyren is coming up on it's 100th chapter and so far the story has been solid. The first 98 chapters have fleshed out much-needed information to substantiate the plot, establish the antagonist and setup subplots for not only the two main protagonists but each focal character that either interlocks with the story or is associated with the story's motif (the mind).

16. cbus05

Meh, I think mangas like D Gray Man and KHR were popularized largely due to their anime counterparts.

That, and it's probably rather normal for a manga to yoyo quite a bit in the first 100 chapters of the story. Who knows tho .

17. Gene

That would be pretty funny since they both had poor anime adaptions.

18. Lord Genome

In the polls Toriko has been beating Bleach out a lot, Naruto not so much

Good Luck passing up One Piece

19. Jugger

Well its better that psyren doesn?t get in top 3 it would start repeating itself with new enemies and shit. I don?t want it end like one piece that does samekind of arc again and again.

20. Danchou

I was pretty enthusiastic about Psyren in it's early stages and would probably rate it in the top 5, but the later parts of the manga (when most of the big mysteries were revealed) hasn't managed to grab my attention as much. I think it shouldn't run too long from now before it starts dragging.

21. Bungee Gum

lol i started reading this yesterday, mainly because i check out all the manga of the months because i think they have a lot of potential, and wow this one is really really good, way better then expectations. im only on chapter 45 before any really big mysteries hit the floor, so anyone suggest i keep reading or keep it in its blissful state?

22. cbus05

It has only gotten better since. The main criticism I see popping up is that it started out relatively slow (although I didnt think it did). Regardless, it's pretty awesome the further you go.

23. Tenacious Lee

It is unfortunate since psyren is clearly better than bleach and naruto.

ive yet to read toriko, but beelzebub will probably get better ratings once it gains an actual plot. since psyren is already waist-deep into the story and many of the mysteries have been revealed, I honestly dont see it becoming much more popular

24. Bungee Gum

time will tell in my books if psyren is better then bleach or naruto, naruto might end with a bang and bleach might get better after this arc. but nevertheless it should be top 10.

25. Penance

If it ever did make it to the top three, then that's cool; if it doesn't...well, we just need more people reading Psyren, anyway...:zaru

26. MrCinos

3. Nurarihyon no Mago

My WSJ top 3. Then Beelzebub and Psyren.

27. Bubyrd Ratcatcher

yes imho psyren would deserve to be in top 3 with OP and KHR

28. KidTony

I read the first 35 chapters of psyeren and dropped it. Couldn't get into it all all.

29. vegitabo

it's good, but too goddamned similar to gantz