1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

The Order of OFA Users is Mastery

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Tayimus, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Tayimus Number One

I have a theory for the order of the OFA users in Deku's. It's obviously not in sequential order, but I don't think it's simply random. What made me think this is I kept asking myself why Nana was next to Deku, yet Toshinori was on the opposite end. If the order was random, then it shouldn't matter who was next to Deku. Hell, it shouldn't even matter that Deku is at the end. It irked the fuck outta me. I kept dwelling on it, and then I remembered something.

All For One disparaged Nana, saying he was ashamed of her, basically a disappointment to the OFA lineage. We all thought that he was just saying that to rile Toshinori up. But what if there was some truth in there?

Once I started down this line of thinking, I wondered if the order of the One For All users was simply power. But I quickly hit a snag. From what we know of One For All, it's impossible for Nana to be placed last in the line before Deku, as well as for Toshinori to not be placed first as he defeated All For One (twice!).

So then what could have All For One's "shame" of Nana alluded to? And then ii hit me, what if the order of the OFA users is not power but mastery? What if Nana never managed to master One For All as it should have been, making her last in line. Her not mastering One For All ended up coddling Toshinori's understanding of the quirk. Toshinori bonded perfectly with the quirk, but that made him never seek more. He never asked questions. He never asked why he saw the shadows of the other users. Toshinori managed to completely master the physical aspect of One For All, so he ended up being third in the line. But it's now obvious that there is more to the quirk.

The first two in the line completely mastered all aspects of OFA, or at least more than Toshinori, thus they're going be saved for later. Deku, being the newest and less experienced, is placed after Nana. And now it seems the quirk might have mutated or evolved enough for the shadows that Toshinori couldn't interact with to communicate directly with Deku, and now he has a chance to master OFA to a greater degree than all the previous users.

What do you think?

Tags:
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. ~VK~ The King

Nah i think you're just overthinking that panel tbh.

3. Tayimus Number One

4. ~VK~ The King

Would be a pretty shitty thing to make the sole female user the weakest/least mastered tho lol. But then again that would make this a real proper shounen manga :lmao

5. Tayimus Number One

Yeah, I had that realization too. :sweatdrop

Side note I'm severely hoping that the short-haired OFA in the large overcoat is also female. Cause fuck, I'd hate for Nana to be the token female OFA.

6. ~VK~ The King

Also i don't want there to be more to the quirk. OfA is already overpowered af as is.

7. Tayimus Number One

That's cool. That's why I refrained here from saying that OFA gives other powers. That's a related but ultimately separate theory of mine. I opted to use the term "aspects," so as to not bog down what I'm talking about in the OP.

8. ~VK~ The King

9. ~VK~ The King

Also damn that bald guy with the goggles is the coolest looking one by far. I need more of this dude!

10. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Well, it's better than time travel theory.

11. Kor Well-Known Member

It makes sense, and is entirely plausible with the line OFA makes about the “singularity point”.

With the possibility that there’s more to OG OFA original quirk than just passing itself on, we could be seeing the actual ability of it right now through Deku where the last two generations of holders couldn’t.

12. White Wolf Retired Staff

What would be the explanation for the missing link then? Defected to the dark side? Transcended the boundaries? Was completely worthless?

It sounds nice in theory, but it would be rather offensive towards Nana. Having Deku so far back wouldn't really make sense either 'if' the quirk is mutating to a point where the shadows can communicate with him like an actual being, since that would in theory put him higher up than 'the failure' that is Nana, and probably one or two at least of the others, even at 20%.

Not to mention it isn't like Deku can't use 100%, it's just too harmful at this point in time (which yeah, does match up with mastery), but for someone to be a failure would think that they'd be stuck at x% forever never reaching 100% even if it was harmful.

13. Kor Well-Known Member

No, Deku would still be at the bottom because his mastery is still only around 8%, with his extreme limit being 20%. 100% for Nana was most likely a lot weaker than what Deku has now after All Might became a bodybuilding god.

One For All is an evolving quirk, what may have been just imprints of ghosts that can’t communicate with All Might may be something else for Deku.

We need to consider the possibility that the transfer power of One For All is also evolving as well, or that there is more to it that Nana didn’t have time to teach or didn’t discover herself.

14. Fry J Vigilant

The 1st OFA user should be the weakest of the holders and last in line then. I think we need to see more of the other holders before we call Nana the weakest.

15. Tayimus Number One

The order isn't power but mastery. I specifically address this.

16. Fry J Vigilant

I know, I was not just talking about power. You think Nana was last place in mastery of OFA. I think it would be the 1st.

17. Tayimus Number One

Your use of "weakest" greatly confuses me, then.

I didn't bother talking about the first because I thought people could come to the conclusion that because the quick was created with the First, it grew with him. Essentially, he was always completely mastered.

And no, I don't think Nana had no mastery of OFA, just less than everyone else and more than Deku.

18. Superman Well-Known Member

The other problem with that theory is the power grows stronger from the last use. So even if said person mastered it, the next person will always be stronger.

One of the shadowed people may just be the person who originally had it.

19. Tayimus Number One

Again, I literally address this in post. The order is not power but mastery. All Might, the eight in succession, is third in the line despite being objectively the most powerful OFA. This means that All Might didn't master all of One For All, just one facet of it.

What? They're obviously OFA users. Do you mean the one that originally had the Stockpile quirk?

20. Superman Well-Known Member

In the chapter all for one said he found a quirk that even a weakling like his brother could use. So afo could have seen that quirk in action from 2 people before taking it.

21. Tayimus Number One

One person had Stockpile, and then All For One took that quirk and gave it to the first OFA. The First inadvertently combined Stockpile with his own "Transfer" quirk, and it became One For All. This quirk, in turn, was passed on through eight more people (the people in line in Deku's dream), meaning a total of nine people (with the dude that spoke directly to Deku in the dream) had the quirk known as "One For All". The unfortunate person who had Stockpile would not be in the line.

22. Superman Well-Known Member

Wait really? I did not see that part. I did not know he accidentally combined it with his own quirk. I need to reread it.

23. Tayimus Number One

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  24. 1Person Well-Known Member

Makes sense especially since Nana had a quirk of her own so mastering OFA wouldn't be as high a priority for her.

OFA is a hybrid quirk and toshinori(like most readers) might have focused more on the flashier stockpiled power half of the quirk while ignoring the transfer half.

The younger brother being able to show visions,activate dekus body, and transfer more power to him even after death all seem to be related more to the original transfer quirk. Making it a lot more useful than we were lead to believe

25. Tayimus Number One

Indeed. It's clear that at the bare minimum, One For All is able to pass on the memories--even personalities--of the previous users. Perhaps fighting styles? Who knows, but it's evident now that All Might only managed one facet of the quirk.

26. 1Person Well-Known Member

Yeah it seems like izuku already has a greater handle on that part of OFA.

It'd be great to see someone come train deku in the less physical side the quirk.

27. Tayimus Number One

Part of me wants to see Deku get mollywhopped by each of the previous users. :trinny

28. 1Person Well-Known Member

Fuck that's even better lol. He always seems to learn quicker when he's getting his ass whooped

29. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Just leave this here. To add a point, it's not as unique design as some people think.
    We have several characters who use big bracers, and and shoulder pads:

And spiky hair, yeah it's everywhere...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  30. Superman Well-Known Member

Aw. My theory on the 2 shadowy people was going to be the original Stockpiler and all for one. But nevermind now.