1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

The Perfect Cut-Out?

Discussion in 'Art 101' started by Kal, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Kal Active Member

No matter how much I try, no matter the patience, I never get it right, as you can see from my sigs, the edges aren't really what I'd call perfect.

I tried every possible way, but I'm starting to lose patience & it's too time consuming.

I used Vertus Fluid Mask, Extract, Quick Selection Tool, everything, but I always end up with the same results, can't seem to get those edges right, and then I just end up adding some outer glow or outline.

Any suggestions?

Tags:
  2. Therahedwig Parodie Nin

Did you try to fiddle with the feathering function yet?
    or perhaps you could cut them out by hand(eraser)...

3. Creator ♥Tsunade's Husband♥

Zoom into it. The closer you zoom the better your section will be. I know its long. But think of it like this. The ends justify the effort. :p

Edit:- Look at my sig. (Girlfriends :p) those are from a manga and it took me about half an hour to cut them to perfection.

Also you must try even if you fail first time. :thumbs

4. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

5. Edo Αρχίδια

I use the select tool when coloring, that way I don't get out of the borders when coloring...however this only works when the lineart is very clean and clean cut...otherwise you have to zoom in and use a smaller brush.

6. Hitomi =^● ⋏ ●^=

Time consuming indeed, but practice makes perfect you know! anyhow, I making a Tut about it and I'll post it later on, perhaps in a new thread. Try it out it might help you.

@Creator, those girlfriends pics of yours aren't what you call cut to perfection. If you wish look up my thread later, m'kay.

7. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

Use the magic wand tool to remove the solid colours (not so good with textures though)
    or
    zoom in and use the pen tool Make sure it on paths not shape layer . and cut out the pic with little tiny dots, right click when youve finshed connecting the dots and click on "make selection" type 0 in the option box and click okay,

go to edit menu and select "cut'' and your done.

8. Heero Summer

what he said

9. Kal Active Member

Pen Tool's OK I guess, definitely a better result than before. It's still not 100% perfection, but I'm happy with it. Thanks everyone.

How about that tutorial Snow Princess?

10. Fonster Mox Khe Tyūbi

I think pen tool or eraser are the best bet. You just have to be prepared to spend a very long time on it to get it just right, zoomed in very far. Extract is pretty much useless unless there's a really obvious contrast between the item and background. Just be aware that the people who have really well cut-out PNG sigs probably spent about half an hour doing that ;)

11. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

It depends entirely on the image. For some images the magic wand would be best if you toy with the tolerance. Other times its best to use the pen tool, that works well when you have nice clean lines to work with.

For softer images the quick mask mode is best because you can zoom into like 1500% and paint over what you want and erase what you don't, then just keep checking and adjusting until its right.

As those above me have said time makes perfect.

Could you show us what image specifically you're trying to cut out, then our suggestions would be more geared towards your needs.

12. typhoon72 Razzin Frazzin

hey could any of yall register on my site because we need people to make anime renders and plus the site is kinda empty and it was just made yesterday its in my sig and you can be on the GFX Crew