1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest 6!
    Deadline for entries: September 08th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice

The pimp-roster evaluation thread

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by less, Oct 20, 2006.

Should the pimp roster stay?

1. Yay!

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Nay!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. More time for evaluation, plz, let's use it some more and make this thread again.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Grow a pair and make a decision yourself, "mod".

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. less

It's a few days late, but here it is: Your chance to speak up for or against the recent deployment of the pimp roster, which has been in effect for a week and a half now.

I'll give my own list of pros and cons sometime during the weekend, but for now I'd like to hear everyone else's opinion. Please write more than one sentence, and explain what your problems or benefits are. The poll will be pretty rudimentary, and the people in charge (not just me) will pay more attention to your posts than to your votes. Thank you in advance :amuse

Tags:
  2. Voynich

I'll wait out on the others posts too before adding my own, since I am kinda the one in charge so ...XD

3. Arty

My favorite part aside from seeing what's coming is that I got to pick a day and stick with it and that means that I can't just be a lazy slob like I've been before this thing

Thanks to the pimp roster I now have a set day to pimp cool things that dudes enjoy instead of slacking for a month between pimps thank you pimp roster

Edit: With some more pros

The obvious lack of flooding pimps is very nice

Maho does a pretty good job keeping the thread in check

With some cons

Lots of people seem to dislike how complicated sending out music has become, I can't really speak on that or against it but it's just sending one PM to Maho.

Some people miss their deadlines because they are doing something else or watching some guys wrestle each other

I might get yelled at for hogging a day too long if this becomes too popular :(

4. Nega

I like it because I get less crap everyday, but I have an idea to make it more organized unless people are too lazy. We could have people pm the pimp requesting the upload instead of just sending it out to everyone. That kindof kills the "pimp list" but 90% of these pm's I get just sit there since its not my kind of music. It would also make it easier to send out when you know who really wants it.

5. Voynich

I do think the pimplist needs cleaning. Only 5 rows of people are not banned/have fullinboxes/been dead for ages. Of those 5 rows maybe half likes getting the music. It needs cleaning.

Secondly I might wanna think of some sort of days for sending me pms cause it's quite difficult to keep track off at times. But I'll ponder on that a bit.

Negas idea sounds good but most people are too lazy to pm for it or completely forget about it eventhough they would like the music.

6. delirium

From what I hear, that's how it was done before. But the pimp-list makes it a lot easier. And it encourages people to actually comment in the thread instead of requesting in the thread and then never coming back. But if it's not your kind of music, you can always just delete the PM. No harm no foul.

As far the "roster", so far so good. I like seeing what's coming up. But some people have missed their deadlines. Bringing your hopes up only to slam them back down to earth. *cough*Ender!*cough*

7. less

First of all: The pimp list was cleaned (by moe, not me) last week, and if half the people on it are banned/have full inboxes right now, it's a miracle. Scratch that. It's not a miracle because it's not true. When I pimped the last saturday the only one I couldn't send to was Gimmp Jow. The current pimp list is pretty good.

Second of all: Nega's suggestion is a big NO from me. The pimp list is supposed to be about 1) getting new music without asking for it and 2) expanding your horizons. I agree the latter can sound kinda hippie, but that's what it's done to me, honestly, and I know of plenty of others who would agree. The pimp-list is educational AND ego-stroking. Best combo ever. Nothing is stopping you from deleting your PMs whenever something you think is not down your alley comes along.

8. Arty

Ok getting a little lighter here, I would say that this defeats most of the purpose of the music department. Do you remember the chap that came in here talking about how he hated hip hop? Do you remember how he was chewed out and how moe yelled at us for not trying to help him? I think half of The Music Department is dedicated into getting you into genres that you dislike

That's why I write my writeups like I do, at least. That's why I upload the samples. Someone out there might dislike the concept but at least I tried to get them into it.

I disliked the Joy Division-genre bands very much, now I spin less's Organ pimp all the time. The idea of the goddamn guitarist from Incubus doing a live instrumental album made me want to vomit, Time Lapse Consortium is being spun at least once every 2 months. I'm sure I'm missing some here just because I have rethought so many genres thanks to the pimp list since my return.

The pimp list is mostly ABOUT getting you into genres you don't find attractive. That idea is very very bad I am sorry Nega

Edit: With that idea The Music Department would be halfway to a 50% music elitist chat room and a 50% p2p music request forum and that cannot happen no sir

9. Voynich

I agree that deleting 2 pms a day is way too easy to actually find a way around that.

10. mow

It's minty fresh. You dont get a ridicolous amount of pms, you get to actually listen to what is shared for a change and the people who pimp the albums get a bit more focus instead of having their threads traveling to the pit of page 2.

It's not complicated, all you have to do is see an empty slot then pm Maho. Easy as pie. If people miss their deadlines Im sure we can sort something for them, or they can just upload an albu mbefore hand and have a write up done and any member can post the thread.

No matter what cons there are I dont think they can outweight the postive aspects of it.

and pimp list is a critcal aspect of the MD. We gotta keep it

11. Sid

12. Voynich

Missing deadlines is what I have the third spot for. Like adding Ree to the third spot cause she already had everything uploaded and all before she noticed the pimproster. Or adding less' idea of an Elliott pimp thing.

Basically my idea wins the internet. :p

13. Nega

I don't see people getting into new genres, only new bands through pimpage.

14. Arty

I just posted some examples of my own there and I'm sure it's happened to tons of other people but if everyone else is a negative nancy then I need an update on it

Are you sure there's a genre you hate so much that you wouldn't click on a direct quicktime link to an mp3 of a group that someone is pushing harder than less when he had his first chld

15. Voynich

Someone here is missing the idea that through discovering new bands and reading their description you might end up in different genres that spark your interest.

I personally hate The Smiths with a passion, but I love The Organ although they end up in the same range of genre. So just cause I dislike the Smiths it's useless to investigate the rest of post-punk?

16. Arty

Really, I can't see anyone on the pimp list for more than 3 months NOT getting into a band from a genre that they dislike.

Unless they are blind and they have a helper-mummy that reads them pimp descriptions and the mummy hates post punk too and he rewords the write up to make it sound worse

17. less

Personally, I used to think the genre "World-music" was just a pile of shit, until moe made me realize that was just a deragotory term used by people who doesn't listen. Tank you, pimp list.

It seems the Organ was much appreciated xD

18. Voynich

Unless you only listen to established names that scream METAL from miles away and disregard the rest. Then maybe you wouldn't. But then you have been deleting 2 pimps a day for ages so I don't see why that'd have a huge impact on the rest of your forum experience if you would have to do that still.

Basically the pimplist is for people that DO wanna hear new stuff. If you don't wanna venture outside of your box, that's okay, but then you shouldn't be on the pimplist to begin with.

19. Nega

Well I can see most people are diversified in what they listen to, but I am strictly metal. I now know that there are alot fewer metal heads then I had hoped there to be, so I'd like off the pimp list.

20. Voynich

If you just like metal you should just ask people in the metalthread to up stuff cause traditionally there hasn't been alot of metalpimps. Only Cata and Dragonslayer might up some metal and Colin and me for the little more avant-garde stuff but that's still a very very small amount compared to for example the post-rock pimps. So yeah the pimplist is really for genre expanding. for specified requests you'd be off better with direct requests to people.

21. delirium

I liked Nega's metal pimps though :(.. Except for one. I forget which band it was. But it had really cheesy vox in it. But all the Kalmah stuff was on point.

22. Nega

Its completly as you say, but when I had first arrived to the forum people advised me to get on the list as if it were standard procedure. That and I assumed metal would be a big thing seeing as how there is a metal thread, and no post rock thread.

23. Voynich

Cause most people like switching genres like other's switch underwear or even faster. Even most of the metalheads here aren't 100% metal. But really the only solution is to either put up with deleting 2 pms a day and maybe cathing a little bit of metal along the way or getting off the list and missing out on the 3 metalabums we send out a year. I personally am trying to up the rate of metal a bit since I'm sending 1 or maybe 2 albums out on monday but overall...it's your choice.

24. o0oEnderIlleso0o

This needs more structure. A better organization so that it is always easy to reference one spot to see who is doing what on what day and what slots are open. It needs a team of people to manage it and not just one.

I like the idea of set days for certain people who show reliability. For instance, say less reserves a slot and comes through with a great pimp and continues to set up slots and great pimps everyweek for a month. He then has the option to reserve one slot a week indefinitly until he misses he slot two times in a row. I would love to be able to "look forward to tuesday every week because I KNOW less has something genius up his sleeve."

This idea is great, it just needs work.

25. delirium

I think Voynich does a pretty good job with the roster. It's stickied and updated every day. I'd rather have actual dates on there though 'cause it's kind of confusing without them.

I think there should be a more obvious section to show what has been pimped. Deltron was a choice of pimp for me until I caught wind of it by chance in the FAQ.

26. Voynich

Dates will be added but half the time I'm updating things in a hurry and dates are like minor details to my life so I'll just try and keep in mind to add those. I intend to keep a list of the past pimps up my sleeve too.

Updating with a team is rather tricky cause you'd have to divide the task of recieving and adding pimps which will make it just even more tricky cause there is no chance in hell each team member is gonna be online at the same time to exchange info. So you'd have a very slow pimplist that might even get behind on the pimps which is like the complete opposite the list was meant for to begin with.