1. img
    Take time to sit, get comfy, and watch the leaves fall...
    Come and join us in our forums Falling Autumn Event!
    The deadline is on September 25 at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come vote in the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 23th at 4:42 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

The (probably) over done Gaara vs Deidara question..

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by ChinYisou, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ChinYisou

I know this has probably been brought up before.. And I'm not just being an illogical fangirl here so hear me out..

I'm not pissed that Gaara lost against Deidara, really, I couldn't care, what annoys me is how. Gaara has had chakra enriched sand around him his entire life, his bond with it only grew stronger throughout the years, so how in the world does a Deidara chakra filled bomb get into his defence? Yeah it was covered in his chakra, but surely, the chakra covering it had to know something was wrong..

15 years of being around him? Surely with that much saturation, Gaara would've noticed something?

What are your thoughts? There's only one way I can think of really, and that is that by that time Gaara, after using a great deal of energy protecting his village relied too much on Shukaku, and Shukaku has no sense of self presavation, no sense of danger to himself and so with Shukaku's influence he ignored it.. But really, that doesn't feel right..

It just seems wrong.. Any opinions?

Tags:
  2. Grrblt

I find it difficult to believe that he actually had any "feeling" in the sand. If you get really good with a remote-controlled model plane, you wouldn't really notice that someone attached something small to it unless you saw it.

3. SpadeZ

You live with your blood all your life and it beats daily but if you got a few drops of someone elses could you tell the difference?

I could have phrased that better but makes sense to me smile-big

4. ChinYisou

It really does seem a little more attached than a remote control plane though yes? If you can control your chakra away from your body, like Deidara can by exploding it far away from him.. Then surely you must be able to feel something from it?

Maybe it's just my twisted up brain.. 22 years with stupidness does this to you.

5. Mouten

Perhaps the reason Deidara used 18 on the village was precisely so Gaara wouldn't notice or at least suspect he tampered with his sand. The necessity to create a huge sand shield almost certainly distracted Gaara from his opponent, and Deidara only had to place one more bird close to Gaara to make sure he would move rapidly to protect himself with the missing sand from the gourd.

6. Sai_What

First imagine carrying a cup of sand around for your entire life. You stare at it alot, sometimes you take it out and play with it...
    Than imagine that one day, someone adds a few grains...replacing some of yours...they look the same and everything...You wouldn't notice.
    That was a pretty literal example if you think metaphors give too much elbow room...

7. ChinYisou

Aa.. I guess I see too much in the whole chakra manipulation thing.. I mean Naruto's was messed up and he didn't seem to notice.. but then again he wasn't aware of his as most people are of theirs (In the Narutoverse at least).. ah well.

8. The Truth

He didn't notice because he was in the heat of battle. Gaara was to busy fighting for his life so Deidara took the oppurtunity to sneak his clay in there.

9. Mouten

I think it's a good point since Gaara is able to create sand from minerals underground, it's logical to think he knows if something was wrong with the sand.

10. ChinYisou

Yeah, that was kind of my point.. say you played with a doll (action figure, whatever) every day of your life, the only changes to it were changes you made, wouldn't you notice if someone styled it's hair differently?.. Or say you tidied your room, very specifically, if someone moved your favourite item, if only a few centimetres from it's original place, you'd notice.. or at least I would.

Maybe it's an OCD thing.. but Gaara seems like the OCD type when it comes to things close to him anyway.

11. Orofan

All I gotta say is Deidara should feel lucky he met Gaara AFTER Gaara met Naruto.

The Old Gaara wouldn't have given a fuck about the village and just killed Deidara while the sand village burned but Deidara would have been killed I have no doubt.

12. ChinYisou

And if people in the Narutoverse couldn't sense changes in chakra what have half the stories been about? How could they know if someone was appearing next to them? How could Sasuke feel the pressure of the enormous chakras of Zabuza and Kakashi at the beginning? Chakra is a force otherwise ninjutsu and genjutsu would be useless and the only true ninja would be Gai and Lee.. (more notably probably Lee, as Gai can use ninjutsu and genjutsu right?) and though that is a world I wouldn't mind.. it would take away from the story no?

So the idea of Gaara being able to feel something through the chakra enriched sand isn't too far fetched is it?

Gah.. meh.. I'm going to bed.. work in the morning and all.. damn all this having to work for money.

13. Mouten

Except Deidara was the one holding back to get Gaara alive in the first place.

14. Tabaco

First of all, we gotta assume it wasnt the authors mistake (or the infamous plot no jutsu). We have to act like physicists, trying to find laws for the incredible nature, stranger it is, not just accepting Deus Ex Machina (sp?).

So, we are left only with possible theories, that will be confirmed in the future or not.

The first one I can think of is that Deidara (since he has control over the clay) spread it out all across the special sand. It was there, but it was so spread no one could ever detect.

Another theory is that Deidara can hide the chakra of the clay (which would be very suiting for the way he uses it), or the clay itself has the ability to do that.

Or maybe the clay is chakraless (or with very little chakra, just enough for its movement) until Deidara activates it. This makes sense since Deidara has to use hand seals before it explodes.

I read it some time ago and I havent got the manga in this computer, so if I said something that contradicted the manga, please tell me.