1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

The Ravages of Time

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by , Sep 25, 2005.

1. .

The Ravages of Time

The Ravages of Time (火鳳燎原) is a manhua by Chen Mou (陈某) that takes place at in ancient China. The story revolves around a young 's command of the Sima family "army", the Handicapped Warriors, and it's leader, Liaoyuan Huo. The series mixes together historical fact with popular fiction like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Chinese folk tales. Many of the characters go against their usual portrayals in Chinese literature -- is not a violent drunkard, is not muscle-headed idiot and is not a mustache-twirling villain. It is very much a seinen manhua with plenty of complex plots (like Death Note) and bloody action scenes (like Lone Wolf & Cub). There are few women in the series, but even so, women may enjoy the series for the good-looking (and very intelligent) men and boys. Also, the art style is gorgeous and very different from the style of most Japanese manga.

If you like The Ravages of Time and wish to discuss it - as well as any Three Kingdom-related manga, book or film - then this is the place to do so.

Volumes 01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | + (in progress)

_____________NEWEST_____________

Last Release: August 5, 2007
    Next Release: ???

Unhuman 《不是人》

______________NEWEST______________

Last Release: May 20, 2007
    Next Release: ???

Scanlation Sites
    Manga City Chapters 1-3 (Discontinued)
    Fifaynet Volumes 1-5 (Discontinued. All volumes now hosted at RW)
    Volumes 6+ (Ongoing)

Page Samples
    █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
    More scans can be found in the Post a Manga Page thread.

Other Links
    YesAsia (Buy the manhua)
    The Bill Wang Forums (Raws - Link currently invalid)
    (Raws)
    (Three Kingdom information)

Related Fan Clubs
    The Ravages of Time FC
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms & Dynasty Warriors FC

For those who find this series particularly complex and the hard to understand, I suggest you go down to your local video store and rent the most recent game. It isn't exactly historically accurate, but it's a fun way to help you understand the events that shaped the times and help you remember who is who. Trust me, you'll have no trouble remembering L? Bu and how badass he is after he's wasted your general for the zillionth time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
    Tags:
  2. .

You so rock. :tem

Actually, it is being scanlated. Fifaynet "dropped" it, but all the people who worked on it at Fifaynet (translators/editors) have made their own group to scanlate it. So... Basically Fifaynet is still scanlating it, but under a different name... If that makes any more sense... :amuse

[Edit: The new group is called ]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  3. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Ah thanks for the info, they just released ch 42 & 43, from volume 7. Really good chapters, seems like every chapter have a huge role in the whole manwha's plotline atm. I just had to make a list with the different feudal lords and important characters so i would not mix them up. The latest chapters got like 10-15 new characters, more or less important. Recommend that people do this with manwha's, who arent really familiar with korean / chinese names.

The masterminds in the manwha, imo, faaar surpass L and Kira from Death Note's brains.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  4. .

Whoohoo! Ravages has a thread of it's own now. :glomp

Chapters 44 and 45 have been released too. I think 46 and 47 should be coming up in a week or two as well...

I had to do that too. Especially when I first got into the manhua. I also made a glossary, since I was completely clueless about Chinese titles and honorifics.

I used to have a (somewhat incomplete) character giude on my website, but I lost all that info when Fifaynet's server went kablooie. :cry I'm working on making a new one, but it is going very slowly.

I actually can't wait until the manhua progresses a bit more -- a lot of cool new characters get introduced. Personally, I'm impatient to see Guo Jia (my favourite Genius). :amuse

I have never read Death Note, but I'll agree with you anyway. It's kind of scary reading a manhua where everyone is super smart. It's hard to predict where things will go...

[Edit: Ooops. I was wrong. Chapter 46 and 47 just got released today. Yay!]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  5. Yagami Raito The Human Death God

Just started reading, damn... this is some good stuff. Mangas just keep piling up for me, darn lucky i've got some time to waste. Thanks for telling us of this manga!

6. Code Zoamelgustar

Great manga (or manhua). Started reading it a few months ago, didn't really know what to expect, but after reading a couple chapters definitely grew to liking it quite a bit.

7. .

Cool. It's totally awesome that there are some Ravages fans lurking here on NF. :amuse Ravages doesn't seem to have a large English fanbase, so i'm always surprised to run into fans.

Chapter 48 and 49 should be released next weekend or so. I just need to get my act together and finish 48 ASAP. :sweatdrop

8. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Thanks for correcting me, always thought it was a manwha. Anyway, those two latest chapters were awesome and im actually considering buying some volumes whenever i get my hands on some money, pretty annoying tho that the shippings are always expensive. Looks really promising, seems like it reaches volume 21 and is still going on :drool

Oh, and i was checking out a few others manua's at Socar's color tutorial

It says "Chinese comics" but at the "Language section" is empty, although i doubt it,do you think there is a slight chance of it being translated? -___-

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  9. mayumi Well-Known Member

Go

i have been keeping up with this manwha for quite a while now and i like it very much. thanks for continuing to scan/translate for us.
    ________

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. pakku surlier than ever

Well after seeing this here it's definitely going on my list of things to read. Your comparison of the characters' intelligence with L's and Kira's has made me curious, though... do they play a lot of mind games like that in RoT, too? I've always wanted to find a comic that's like DN's first couple of volumes (I've lost interest in it now, not sure whether that's because of less-than-stellar scanlations, because I forget the many details between the weeks or if it simply lost the quality I found appealing).

11. .

When I have the money, I plan on buying the volumes too. Of course, I have no idea how I'm going to buy them since they are only sold on Chinese sites. :oh Yeah, and you're right. It's expensive. However, I've heard that, if you look long enough, you can find the volumes in Chinatown bookstores.

Also, Ravages has recently been licensed in Japan. If you can read Japanese, volumes one and two are already out. I hear it was popular in Japan long before it was licensed. It has also been licensed in Korean for some time now too.

I doubt it. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for Chinese comics (unlike Japanese) in English. If you're lucky, you might be able to find translations of the comics online. This site has a few transaltions of wuxia novels and a few comic books. Not the ones you mentioned, unfortunately. :(

Amusingly, YesAsia lists Chen Mou as Chan Mau Mau. :amuse

Oh and, Pek, where'd you find the art for your signature and avatar? I'm not a big Orochimaru fan, but your avatar and sig kick ass.

I've never read DN, but Ravages has a lot of mind games. And plot twists. Even someone who knows a lot of Three Kingdoms history will find themselves surprised at some point. Chen Mou likes to shake things up. There's a feint within a feint within a feint. :p

12. .

Meh. Sorry for double posting. :p

Chapters 50 and 51 has been . Chapter 51 kicks off a new arc about events in Chang'an. However, volume seven is mostly about getting to Chang'an. Fifty-one begins with a cute little scene between Xiao Meng and Wang Gang. Wang Gang learns the hard way to ph34r Meng's girly wrath. :amuse

I'm all excited. The Chang'an stuff is where things really get interesting. Plus the arc ends with the introduction of the Third Genius! 'Course, he's something of a jerk, but still it puts the Fourth Genius's introduction on step closer (Fourth is my favourite Genius) and that's always a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  13. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Sweet, Morrigan. Since #lurk came, Ive become much lazier with checking up newly released scans on the scanlators sites/channels. Anyway, ill check it out later.

14. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Does this manga have any relation to Romace of the Three Kingdoms? Since, in the sample pages I saw Yan Liang and Wen Chou mentioned.

15. .

I've noticed that #lurk releases our scans. They're actually pretty fast at getting the new chapters up too. I've been thinking of contacting them about that as no one at RW knows anything about IRC, but we'd like to release our chapters on IRC too. Maybe we can work something out with #lurk. smile-big

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapters. Especially, 50 as it gave me a lot of trouble. :p Oh and look forward to more notes on Chinese expletives with upcoming chapters. :amuse

BTW, the release are always on a Sunday and usually every three weeks -- unless an editor needs more time.

Yup! It's basically a historical manga for the Three Kingdoms time period. However, even knowing the 3K history, it's sometimes hard to figure out what's going to happen next and there are quite a few surprises.

I've heard that some 3K fans in China don't like the series because it takes some liberties. I, however, find it much more realistic than novels like Sanguo Yanyi.

16. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Awesome! Now I get to see my favorite battles and duels, historical accurate. Now, I have to catch up. :nod

17. .

Eh... I wouldn't exactly call it historically accurate. Just look at Diao Chan for example -- though she was fictional to begin with... Anyway, it's more like Chen Mou shows how and why things come to be. Like Liu Bei's rise from a commoner to a ruler and Cao Cao's journey from being a decent person to a tyrant.

He also changes some of the character's personalities a bit. Zhang Fei isn't an ill-tempered drunk here. He's actually, of all things, an artist and a kick-ass warrior with a high-tolerance for alcohol. :) He just lets himself appear to be a wild drunk to throw people off. Zhang Fei is one of my favourite people in the series. :amuse

Then there's Sima Yi who is something of a lazy genius (and pretty cute to boot!) and Lu Bu who is actually a genius of sorts (as opposed to the brick-headed super-warriors he's usually portrayed as)... There's a lot of interesting characters. :)

18. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Well, it seems more accurate than the Dynasty Warrior games. But, Zhang Fei highly tolerant of alcohol? Time Paradox! ^^

19. .

Any 3K story is more accurate than Dynasty Warriors. :amuse DW is good for helping to remember names, though.

There's a funny scene in volume 19 or 20 where Zhang Fei and Zhang Liao have a drinking contest and both get completely plastered. This was the first time, that I'm aware of, that Zhang Fei wasn't faking intoxication. The next morning you see him lying on the floor, unconcious with his eyes open, foaming at the mouth.

Lemme see if I can find that page and I can post it...

Edit: Ah, ...

20. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

This is a manga that I am REALLY curious about. This needs a pimping project every bit as badly as Vagabond, if not worse. :omg

21. pakku surlier than ever

So, I tried starting this manga a while ago, and it seemed like it definitely had the potential to be the awesome manga you all say it is..

However, my lack of knowledge on the whole Three Kingdoms thing left me a little lost, and scared me off. Think it's worth the trouble reading up on it, or should I just struggle along, maybe make something of a list like peK and just hope for the best?

22. Code Zoamelgustar

Well I doubt knowledge of the Three Kingdoms is neccessary, as pointed out earlier, there are differences. I've only played the DW games... and read the first few chapters of the book (well currently reading it off and on), and I'm not neccessarily struggling through it. Some things may be lost to me, but still a very enjoyable manhua without understanding everything.

Though of course if you like the type of story, then it'd probably be benefical to read up on it if you're going to enjoy it at the same time.

23. .

Good idea. smile-big
    The same thing happened with me, but I'm the geeky type who will go out and research the stuff I don't understand. :amuse But most people don't really want to spend all that time on a manga, which is completely understandable. However, the people at RW are trying to -- in their spare time -- put together a chapter/volume summary page, a glossary, a character guide and a map of China (since the modern ones aren't very helpful). I'm also going to try making a little "history in summary" section to cover the things mentioned mainly in the first volume. Stuff like the Yellow Turban Rebellion and the troubles in the Imperial court and some cultural notes (I also want to make a glossary of the Chinese obscenities used in the manhua, but we'll see about that :wink). Unfortunately, these things will take time, though the chapter/volume summaries and China map should start appearing online pretty soon. :)

Other than that is a really, really good source for 3K information. You can try too. However, the one thing that really helped me is... the Dynasty Warriors games. :sweatdrop

The games kind of bastardize Chinese history, but I found it very helpful in remembering names and important events. :laugh

P.S. I think there will be a chapter release tomorrow, so be on the lookout for that.

24. .

Sorry for ther double post, but two chapters have been released today:

Ch. 52: True Man Whose Head Touches the Sky
    Ch. 53: One Who Exterminates the Insect

Get them .

Here are some notes for these chapters:

• Beiping is the ancient name for Beijing and is also a part of Gongsun Zan's state, Youzhou.
    • will later go on to fight for Wei under Cao Rui (Cao Cao's grandson).
    • Jizhou is the state occupied by Yuan Shao. A small portion of it borders the state that contains Henei, where the Sima Family lives.
    • Zhou means "state" or "provinces", so anytime there is a place name with -"zhou" at the end it is a state. Example: Yanzhou means "State of Yan".
    I forgot to mention that Chen Mou is putting the manhua on hold for a week to do a special side story. This side story is being printed in a Chinese newspaper and focuses on Lao Da (that's not really a name so much as a title -- it means something like "number one"), a character who hasn't appeared in the scanlated manhua yet. He's actually the former leader of the Handicapped Warriors.

[The newspaper is from Taiwan. Blackbird says it's something of a tabloid paper too. :amuse ]

If you want to check out the raws for it, you can find them . The images are kind of bad because they were taken with a digital camera and newspapers aren't the best for raws anyway.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  25. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Great Morrigna, thanks for the info and the releases. I have been busy with re-reading Berserk & Lone wolf & Cub. Someone rep him/her( sowwy ). I will try to read it after I get home from school & work and edit this post with my opinion/thoughts/feeligns about this latest chapters (:

26. .

Thanks, peK :)

I'm kind of decicated to keeping things up to date here since this is the only forums I've found with Ravages fans on it and I really love having people to talk to about the series. :amuse I was a bit disappointed to find out that people on forums focusing on Dynasty Warriors or the Three Kingdoms aren't interested in this series. Strange since those sort of people would be far more likely to understand everything that goes on in Ravages. :huh Oh well.

In other news, the map of China is nearing completion. smile-big The map was released in volume seventeen, so we're translating it all and then going back to modify the information so that it fits the time frame of the volumes we've scanlated.

[Edit: The little sidestory is over. It's only about two chapters long and, unfortunately, doesn't really tell the readers a whole lot they didn't already know. But it is pretty cool anyway. Turns out Huo is as scary as a child as he is as an adult. I'm trying to convince Blackbird to let us scanlate it -- I'd do all the editing myself if I have to! We'd need better scans, though. The camera shots that are online aren't very good for scanlating. :cry ]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  27. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Oh man, the emotions & the badassness of these chapters. Wang Gang is so fucking badass, I was totally into it and almost screamed "Nooo" when he died.

Damn awesome chapters, fuck it. All TRoT chapters seems to be freaking intresting, loved the ending of volume 6 too with the three brothers vs Luu Buu, just awesome.

Your notes were awesome and I hope you get better quality on those sidestory's, I'm a huge fan of 'sidestory's'/'fillerarc's. And I can't wait to get my hands on that map, seriously it is well needed. ^^

Make a huge name/important things list and I can promise you that you'll have far more fans then before. The biggest reason why people are dropping this manga is because they have problems with the names and some of the things which you ought to have a little idea of.

28. .

Man, pek, you're a bigger geek that me -- and I'm pretty hardcore. :p I admire your enthusiasm! smile-big There's so many badasses in this series, it's hard to be surprised by anyone's "badassitude". I did, however, really appreciate Wang Gang's sense of loyalty -- the loyalty of all the Triad of Clear Wind, actually.

I really, really loved that chapter until I had to edit it. Seriously, it was the most difficult chapter I've ever had to edit. I haven't looked at that chapter since I finished it just incase I have some sort of post-traumatic stress reaction to it and end up shivering under my desk. :oh

I'm a big fan of translation notes, so I'm very glad Blackbird has been adding more and more notes. The sidestory wasn't anything incredibly special, but I would like to scanlate it. Hopefully Blackbird can get his hands on some back issues of the newspaper to scan it. :nod

I really appreciate the feedback (so keep it up!) and I totally agree. As I've made it my mission to spread the word about Ravages, I've seen that a lot of people are put off by the complicated cultural/language/history.

In our free time, some of us at RW are trying to put together stuff like that. It's a slow procress. :cry I, myself, am trying to get the website organized. I'd really like the site to work similar to Wikipedia to allow us to easily update "articles" with new information. Unfortunately, I'm not very skilled at that sort of thing. My knowledge is mostly HTML, with a little bit of CSS and PHP. I'm having a hard enough time figuring out Wordpress! :S Hopefully, we can get something put together...

P.S. There should be a two-chapter release this Sunday, so look out for it!

29. Crowe inactive - most of the time

I'm the biggest manga/manwha/manua geek ever ^^'

What I love with 'historical' manga's is the amazing display of loyalty. Just look at Lone Wolf & Cub, they kill themself's without hesitating when their leaders tell them. Complete trust and complete loyalty ftw.
    Haha, I know. I have also had moments like that, had to clean a Death Note chapter once, was extremly low quality and took me like 2-3 days (10-12 h) to finish like 4 pages. And all my work was just trashed the day after since some dude found us way better raw :/
    Yeah, make sure he knows that those are very appreciated ^^
    Yeah, I know. It got to be a bitch hard job to scanlate + and try to put some kind of dictionary together. I wish I could help you guys out, though I suck with html and have promised myself to never try to edit a manga page >.>

You could try to have a very simple html design? It doesn't really have to look cool and all, it is the information most people want (:

Anyway, keep up the good work ^^

30. .

The you may really like some of the much later chapters. Chen Mou goes on a bit about loyalty. Like blind loyalty vs. loyalty of choice. Then there's people like Lu Bu who doesn't believe in loyalty at all.

Actually, now that I think of it, in one of the upcoming chapters (possibly in the release after this Sunday's) Gongsun Zan muses a bit about the loyalty of his men. Even though he is a greedy and self-serving guy, he still has subordinates willing to die for him. He's floored when he sees that Liu Bei is willing to put his life on the line for a subordinate that isn't even his.

[Lone Wolf and Cub rocks! However, I actually prefer Samurai Executioner over it. :p ]
    Luckily Ravages scans really well -- even the new release raws are of better quality than most Shonen Jump ones. So it's not the quality, so much as the work itself. The art style is much more complicated than what is found in most Japanese manga, so it makes some of the clean up a bit difficult. I makes me realize how good I had it cleaning up PMK before I got into Ravages. Anyway, chapter fifty had two double-pages and page upon page of over-image text. Those two things are what I hate the most about editing. :notrust
    I'll probably end up doing just that. I tend to gravitate more towards minimalism anyway. :amuse

I have to wonder if people will really get into a manhua where they have to consult notes so often. :huh I don't mind it, but I others might. Some people are just lazy readers. :p

Here's a peek at chapter fifty-four, if you're interested: