1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

The reason why people say Mei isn't fit to be a Kage.

Discussion in 'New Leaf' started by Louis-954, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

It really isn't about strength, skill, or intelligence. She could be the best in all categories for all I care. This isn't about her being the strongest/weakest Kage so please don't turn it into a debate about that.

The reason people say that Mei is not fit to be a Kage is because she is lacking in the resolve department. When shit goes bad she begins to doubt herself, her ability, and even that of her peers. To me, that's a very unbecoming trait for a Kage to have.

Here is what I mean:
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke

Now compare that to the resolve of the rest of her Kage peers and passed Kages.

A:
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke

Onoki:
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke

Tsunade:
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke

Danzo:
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke

Sandaime Raikage:
    As well as MS sasuke

Senju Tobirama:
    As well as MS sasuke

Sarutobi Hiruzen:
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke

Minato Namikaze:
    As well as MS sasuke
    As well as MS sasuke
    Link removed
    Link removed
    Link removed
    Link removed

Gaara:
    Link removed
    Link removed
    Link removed
    Link removed

Not a hint of cowardice or hesitation in any of them.

These are prime examples of what it means to bear the title of Kage. When you take up the mantle of a Kage that comes with the burden of laying down your life to protect your family, allies, and villagers if need be. It means that you will defeat the enemy at all costs or you will fucking die trying.

Proposing they allow Madara to casually stroll away from the battlefield and pursue Naruto is absolutely ridiculous. She along with her peers swore to defeat Madara at ANY cost. Do those words and that promise not mean anything to her? As a Kage they should mean more to her than her very life. It isn't just Naruto she'd be fucking over but ultimately her own village as well! If the only thing Mei can do to halt Madara for even one second longer is get steamrolled by him then that's what she should do. Letting arguably the biggest threat on the battlefield loose with no resistance as a leader on your part is unacceptable as far as i'm concerned.

Tags:
  2. Ginko25 Member

Maybe also the fact that before the Madara's fight, she was outperformed by her attendant every time it was possible ?

Her attack slowly melted Sasuke's Susanoo and barely did any damage. The swordsman kid broke through it, hit Sasuke and sent him flying.
    Everyone dealt with the Zetsu's spores on their own including the swordsman kid. She needed Oonoki to do it.
    To protect the kages, Naruto and the kid do a combo to defeat black Zetsu. Mei doesn't do shit.

And then in the kages fight, she is the only one without resolve

3. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

^ This isn't what the thread is about. It has 0 to do with strength. I don't care about Ao, Choujirou, or Mei's performance. Lets not derail the thread, thanks.

4. 3rdgenkage Banned

she is some creepy Mist girl she isn't supposed to be all strong willed like Tsunade

5. solid-soul ....

and yet she still standing with her pair.....that enough resolve for me

6. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

Clearly someone didn't read the thread. I'm not comparing her to just Tsunade. I'm comparing her to Kage in general. As in, the vast majority of people who hold or have held the title.

7. Rios Well-Known Member

Tsunade is just stubborn and as shown it really didnt make her a good kage.

8. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

Yes lets ignore all of the other examples. I should have known better than to make a though provoking thread lol. Is it really that difficult for you people to stay on topic?

9. First Tsurugi M O T I V A T E D

She's never gotten a moment to shine, unlike the others.

Every other Kage had their moment in the limelight, Raikage against Sasuke, Gaara against his father, and Onoki and Tsunade against Madara.

10. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

Like 3-4 people now who haven't read a word I said. xD I give up.

Can a mod please delete the thread? Thanks.

11. Kanki KIG

People severely underestimate her, partly because many people on here like to fap over speed all the time which is something she hasn't really shown.

If she can manage to put up the Mist she's a major pain in the ass to beat.

This.

12. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

Absolutely unbelievable. The lack of reading comprehension here is incredible.

13. ueharakk Active Member

Her attitude sucks not only compared to other kages but to the other non-fodder good guys in general. Overconfident and witty when she thinks the battle is in her favor, yet scared frozen and ready to give up when the odds turn against her.

To be fair though, it seems that she was probably the mist's best choice and she is pretty young.

14. 3rdgenkage Banned

No you are just picky bro I thought the first time you griped was maybe legiment but the rest were on topic. Just because I didn't make a list of every single Kage and talk about why Mei isn't like them doesn't mean I didn't stay on subject. I choose Tsunade the only other girl Kage choice. You shouldn't be posting threads if your this picky. Are you really going to compare a macho dude like the Raikage to a girl its a waste of typing.

15. Dragonus Nesha Le Rouquin Retired Staff

I understand why Kishi has her be the negative outlook: her pessimistic comments emphasize and enhance the appearance of Onoki's and Tsunade's optimism. Kishi needs a character than can survive through this battle with Madara while also holding a pessimistic view; that means one of the Kage.

As for her being unsuitable for the title because of lack of conviction in front of seemingly overwhelming odds, meh, it's a realistic view, which again is needed to make Onoki's statement stand out. All of them think about it; Kishi just has Mei be the voice for their doubts and pessimism.
    And I don't think it makes her completely unsuitable. There is something to be said about a tactical retreat. They know his destination and have means to communicate with the shinobi there and approaching there.

16. jayjay³² Drug Addict

You make a good point, her resolve in the Madara fight is nothing. She has shown everyone that she is hopeless.

However, you can't judge her resolve only from the Madara fight and then fail to cite how she reacted against Sasuke after citing Raikage's resolve against Sasuke as well. The rest of the kages' mindsets are from different fights. Mei isn't always like this. The expired/dead kages are also fighting different opponents. So that is completely irrelevant to what is going on in the Gokage vs Madara fight.

The mindsets during the Madara fight only matter. Whatever happened with Sasuke is irrelevant. Madara is clearly much stronger then all of the kages combined and Mei knows this. The only person who stands a chance against Madara right now is Hashirama, and even he can't be completely equal because he did not fight him with rinnegan. Gaara even agreed with Mei during the fight.

You also have to look at this from a different perspective. Here are all their mindsets for the battle.

Raikage = Cocky Mindset
    Tsuchikage = Feeling-guilty-for-not-beating-Madara-before Mindset
    Hokage = Die-trying Mindset
    Mizukage = Hopeless Mindset
    Kazekage = No-way-out Mindset

Basically, most of the kages are in a world of delusion. Sadly, because Mei is in a hopeless mindset, she is obviously not going to try to beat Madara. That's why we haven't seen any of her moves.

17. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with anything. Your reading comprehension truly is abysmal. Strength, muscle mass, gender, and personality are not the subject here.

It's about the resolve that she lacks, resolve that almost every other kage possesses regardless of gender, strength, speed, muscle mass, and whatever else you can think of. She doesn't have the resolve to defeat or stall the enemy at the cost of her life or die trying. She'd rather let them do as she pleases when she feels like she's been defeated. It's a shameful and unsightly trait, one no other Kage possesses.

18. TH4N4T0S Parasitus Venator

Indeed, a ninja who lacks conviction is unfit to be a Kage. However, is Mei's attitude in her current fight enough proof that she lacks "Kage-level conviction" or is not suited for the title of Kage? I don't think so.

The Hidden Mist got rid of its bloody ways under her reign; she faced Sasuke on her own, was willing to fight Danzou if necessary, fought to protect the feudal lords, and battled Madara until she was finally overwhelmed. These aren't minor deeds and accomplishments. She had to have at least some level of resolve to achieve them -- one that probably reaches "Kage-level", considering their difficulty.

Her battle against a seemingly invincible opponent has thrown her beyond the limits of her conviction and into the realm of fear, allowing her risk-averse side and the thought of the potential benefits of tactical withdrawal to kick in. Although I don't agree with her current thinking, I wouldn't say it makes her an unfit Kage. Relatively unimpressive, perhaps, but not unfit.

19. PDQ Meta-Debater

As Alfred said, it's a crap job but someone has to do it.
    Mei hasn't had anything super personal at stake in this war to really motivate her. A and Tsunade have Naruto and B as family, Gaara has the relationship with Naruto as his savoir and a fellow Jinchuuriki(not to mention Tsunade and Gaara are established characters since preskip), A has had his father and 2 of the worst criminals of his village's history appear, and Oonoki has fought Madara before and has had to fight his own teacher. So at this point, they're really amped up. Mei's motivation is "you guys used my village as a home base". Given her relative weakness, it's obvious she would be the foil.

Does that make her unfit to be a Kage? No. Kages are defined by being the strongest in their village. Finding someone stronger than her in the village would make her unfit for being Kage. Her strength is questionable because she relies on two relatively tame Kekkei Genkai compared to everyone else. I mean, the fact that she had two was pretty awesome, up until they revealed Oonoki had something beyond Kekkei Genkai, making her abilities seem obsolete. That being said, we've found no one stronger.

Finally, if you're going to make a thread about "why people say" rather than "why she might be considered" or "Why I say", then you're going to have to contend with the various reasons rather than one you happen to believe. Clearly if everyone thinks it's due to weakness, then even if you think otherwise, it's inaccurate to make a thread stating other people's opinions for them and then wondering why no one is listening to you. The problem isn't with people's reading comprehension, it's the misleading nature of your title.

20. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

Think of this topic like an apple. People are coming in and talking about oranges and bananas. That's the part I find annoying, they aren't addressing the topic at hand. It's clear that all they read was the title(if even that im beginning to wonder) and completely disregarded the contents within. It's fine if people disagree with me but at least disagree with what i'm talking about and not something arbitrary that I have no interest in discussing at all.

Resolve and physical strength are nothing alike, hence the reason I have no idea why people are bringing it up.

21. Freechoice Freechoice

Great thread, repped. :del

22. lazer God is my judge

Mei spots a hopeless situation, so if something isn't working, she believes it's pointless to continue doing the same thing, e.g. perfect susano'o. She lacks strategy, she's knows it's not working but lacks an idea of how to deal with it. This is one of the main reasons i like naruto, he comes up with off-the-wall strategies on the spot, this is what mei lacks.

23. PDQ Meta-Debater

It comes across more like:
    the Title is "Fruits people enjoy",
    the first post is about why apples are great,
    then wondering why people are coming in and talking about oranges and bananas. The title serves more to define the posts people make, the first post can help shape it but ultimately is interpreted as one opinion on the matter.

For future reference, for a topic like this, try titling it less ambiguously like "Is Mei's resolve unbefitting of a Kage?". You'll get more relevant responses. It might sound less poetic but it gets the job done better with less fuss.

24. sicmofo Safeguard Abuser

awesome thread. some people out there just cant read. repped

25. ShadowsX Banned

This is called PNJ, sure not all the cases were PNJ.
    For Mei it depends on how you see it, logically what Mei is doing is not right nor wrong when your enemy is very powerful to defeat you leave some forces to stale him while the rest retreat to gain some rest and work out a strategy and call for backup, what the Kages are doing are fighting without a teamwork strategy sure they they watch each other backs but they need an offence strategy so retreating for just nothing but to be safe is wrong.
    but if you read in Madara words that exactly what Madara wanted, not to kill them but break their will to fight.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  26. lazer God is my judge

You call this pnj?

27. ShadowsX Banned

read again.

28. Godaime Tsunade Densetsu no Kamo

She's not unfit to be a Kage. She's shown the intelligence, loyalty to her village and the necessary skills to have proven her worth. Her will power was crushed some time ago, and while she no longer believes that they can win, she is merely being realistic - against Madara, 5 shinobi of their level who are already low on chakra fair a very low chance of success. She in particular can't do anything against Madara, countering his Katons with her Suitons are about the only thing she has been useful for in this match, and even then there have been several times where she has failed to even do that right.

That being said, while Mei knows the difference in power between herself and the other Kage and Madara, I think complaining that he's too strong in their situation is a bit stupid. Even if Mei is right, and that no amount of determination and willpower will allow them to defeat Madara, they have no other choice but fight. The five Kage are the strongest shinobi in the army [besides Naruto and Bee] there's no one else who can stop Madara, or even last very long against him at all. If they run away from him, then he goes after the Kyuubi, and Naruto doesn't stand a chance against both Madara and Tobi, he'll be killed.

The Kage have to keep fighting, they have no other choice. Mei is being rather naive, to assume otherwise. Though, I must stress that it doesn't make her a poor Kage.​

29. Hiko Seijurou The Scarlet

lol at when she was shaking against Madara.

Look, I'm not a Mei-fan myself (I do believe she is hot, though), and I don't think she is fit to be a Kage, but in her defense, she was being realistic. Madara is an immortal that is clearly leagues above them, and they have mostly run out of chakra. A said that even Tsunade, who spams regeneration, would die if she kept going.

The fact that Madara, a powerful enemy, said he would leave is an advantage to them, but Oonoki kept provoking him, asking to be killed.

I know promises are important, which is why you shouldn't make them easily like those 5 did, but you have to recognize that there are battles you just can't win.

Now if Sasuke weren't heading to a journey of self-discovery at the moment . . .

30. Whirlpool Triumvir

Bitch just wants to live.