1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

The Shannara Series?

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by elvenninja, Sep 28, 2006.

1. elvenninja

Has anyone ever heard of the Shannara Series? The books are by Terry Brooks.

Tags:
  2. Dark Angel's Thesis

:nod Yes, yes, yes!!! I have!!! In like sixth grade I IDOLIZED them, and even went so far as to write a fanfiction... Of course, it sucked, but...

Those books are very good and I'm assuming that you're posting it b-c you're thinking about reading them...? I don't want to spoil anything for you...smile-big

3. Haku2099

I highly recomend the books they're excelnt, I've read almost everyone, still missing a few though, but anyways you'll enjoy them

4. Kurosaki

I have read them all and they were all fantastic. Very enjoyable reading and worth checking into.

5. Rhaella

The first one was more or less an unconscious rip-off of Lord of the Rings. I find that amusing.

They're hardly the best things out there, but they're a fun read all the same.

6. Mori`

I just finished reading the sword of shannara...it was rubbish :/

7. Trias

Funny to see another person that had idolized it when he was in sixth grade. Rofl.

Hmm, yes, Mori, the sword of shannara is shit, but you should note that it was written by Terry Brooks when he was 19, and when he was very influenced by Lord of the Rings. So, the Sword of Shannara series are a cheap copy trilogy of LotR. Even Terry Brooks accepts that fact. I didn't like first series either.

But, well, the next three books, Elvenstone, Wishsong and First King of Shannara (they must be the names, but not sure about English translation, so well, they're estimated names) are actually add originality to the whole Shannara world. They are not very great either, but they are not a cheap copy, and have their originality, and contain some cool characters, and Elvenstone was one of the books that had made my cry, literally. That really stands for a lot, trust me. But again I must say, you still should not expect those other three books to be as great as some other series, like LotR, or Death Gate Cycle, or Wheel of Time, or... (list goes on with 666 more names)

Coo.

8. Gray Wolf

I have read the all three books of the original Shannara trilogy. There good books but not the best. The Dragonlance chronicles trilogy and Lord of the Rings are better.

9. Munkybutt

I was in love with The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara in sixth grade as well. =P

10. Fechtmeister

I just finished reading Straken. The High Druid isn't as good as the Voyage of the Jerle, but oh well. It was mainly having a character with as stupid a name as "cinnaminson" actually survive (gags).

I think while the shannara series is kind of redundant in ways and there are some things which I don't think terry brooks is very good at writing at (cough romances cough realistic dialogue), but his action scenes are pretty cool usually. My favorite out of them would have to be the Elfstones of Shannara (demon armies!!!) and the Druid of Shannara (part of heritage of sh. quartet). Gotta love beautiful women sacrificing themselves to become nature restored. Kinda heart wrenching when I first read them, but I'm a sucker for that I guess.

I do also like Terry Brook's Magic Kingdom of Landover series as well as his Word and Void Trilogy. In my opinion those are his better books.

11. isanon

now this is books i read a loooooooong time ago but i remember i liked them