1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

Voting for the first Konoha Country Club Poetry Competition is live!

Please check out the Entries here.

Place your votes in the 1st Choice Vote thread here and the 2nd Choice Vote thread here.

-- NarutoForums Staff

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and place your vote.

Dismiss Notice

The Starcraft 2 artsyle, good or bad?

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Ninjaguiden, Jun 8, 2007.

Do you like the New artsyle displayed so far in SC2?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2007.
  1. They are looking much better than before!

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. The old style looked better...

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. They both look good.

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. Ninjaguiden Certificated ninja guide

So basicly the question is: Do you like the way the new artstyle for Starcraft look (so far)?

I bring this up because I played the campaign again yesterday and the Protoss on the selection screen looks much more rugged and darker than the ones in the trailer/gamplay video. Same thing goes for the Terrans.

The Terrans IMHO look alot more cartoon like now, almost plastic.
    More rugged steel and darker tones are needed.

Tags:
  2. Joker Just one bad day

I think it's great, especially since we can continue to have a massive amount of units on screen. I didn't think I'd like that much of a graphical upgrade, but after playing with the old style for ten years, I'm more than willing to try something new. :) I'm sure they'll make the units look less cartoony in the final version.

3. Ninjaguiden Certificated ninja guide

I seem so pessimistic compared to your cheerfull outlook.

I guess that It will be the same as with many new things, you hate the change first, but then you end up liking it instead.:p

4. Joker Just one bad day

It helps that I've been playing the game all over again. :)

5. slimscane King Slime Scane

As far as soley the art style goes, well, I don't really like it. I love the environments, they look fantastic, but I still think they have a lot of work to do on the character models to make them look more realistic and dark, and less cartoony and like warcraft.

As far as the game itself though, I can't wait.

6. Ninjaguiden Certificated ninja guide

I know that no matter how the game looks (to an extent) I will nevertheless buy it.

7. Joker Just one bad day

Personally, I think the style distinguishes itself from other RTS games. Make it too realistic and it'll look like Command and Conquer. I'd rather have it look unique.

8. WILD CARD It's about time!

It doesnt look as cartoony as warcraft 3, but the graphics are GREAT! I love the design of area like how buildings crash while in the air, the nuclear bombs, the colossus and how it moves on platforms in a 3D environment, I also like the special effects like the black hole used by the mothership. The only thing I dislike are the design of some units; the mothership looks dull and boring, and the tanks look weird compared to the original.

But overall it is good and I am looking forward to it.

9. Ninjaguiden Certificated ninja guide

I was referring more to the look of the units, like how they are designed. I love the new graphics ofcourse!

10. Joker Just one bad day

While I'm thinking about it (hope you don't mind me continuing this discussion), a slightly cartoony look could improve the overall animation. A massive amount of realistic units on the screen could potentially be very hard to animate , and the slowdown could be rough, especially with 8 players in a game.

I was practically hypnotized watching the units move, attack, etc. They're animated very well, and I think that's mostly because of the graphic style.

Does that make sense? I hope it does. I'm tired.

11. Ninjaguiden Certificated ninja guide

Don't worry my friend it made plenty of sense. I too loved the way the units behaved, its just that mainly the Terrans are to clean somehow.

12. Joker Just one bad day

Yeah, some battle scars would look good, I'll agree to that. :)

13. Ethreal Member

Personally I think the new art style looks great, I especially love the look of the Immortals. And as always blizzard has put out some great concept art.

14. Ninjaguiden Certificated ninja guide

The immortals look kind of egyptian don't they? And I hope to see some kick-ass art by Metzen soon (hopefully in black and white!)

15. Joker Just one bad day

I noticed that, too. Personally I liked Dragoons better, but I'm sure the Immortals will grow on me. :)

I think black and white art by Metzen suits the Diablo series better, but regardless, I'll take any SC2 art from him in any form. :D

16. Ninjaguiden Certificated ninja guide

However I can't really understand how some people can say that the Immortals look more robotic than the organic dragoons. The way the immortals move looks like a moving animal with its guns searching for prey!

17. TDM Toast

The artwork itself is fine, but in-game, not so much. The Protoss should take it a little easy on the shiny stuff. Terran should not have Legos for buildings and octoroks for siege tanks. Zerg look otherwise fine, but the Zerglings should still pop/scream and not jump up and down like fairies. Overall, the game could get a bit darker.

Pretty specific, eh?

18. Joker Just one bad day

I think it's because they remind them of the droids from Star Wars. I never really thought of it either way, personally. I suppose it depends on the perspective. :)

Very specific, but that's for the best--makes for a better discussion. smile-big

I didn't even think of Octoroks when I saw the Siege Tanks--that's a good comparison, haha. I agree big time on the Zerglings. However, I kinda prefer how things look (aside from the Zergling animation). Like I said in an earlier post of mine, it distinguises itself from other games. I think the art style is unique. That's just my opinion, though--I can see why a lot of people want it to be much darker and realistic.

And... Where'd you get the concept art for that Raynor (assuming that's him) picture?! I could only find it in a video. Do you have the actual picture?