1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

The True Immortal?

Discussion in 'Naruto Theories' started by hesd, Nov 25, 2005.

1. hesd Anomic.

Do you think that Tsunade and Kabuto are the "real immortals" (by this, I mean not dying of old age or any degenerative diseases) given the fact that they have mastered Kabuto's technique of cell creation?

Recall:
    1. Tsunade's Genesis Rebirth hastens cell division. The technique costs the user some extra years...refer to the soliloquy of Shizune (the Great Sannin Battle).
    2. Tsunade said that Kabuto's Tummy Regeneration technique enables the user to create new cells.
    3. She used this to cure Lee.

Now:
    Aging is a progression of irreversible change that eventually leads to death. It occurs at the level of individual cells, tissues and entire organs. Meaning, if one can constantly create new cells, not just regenerate them through catalyzing cell division, then one is immortal.
    Moreover, Tsunade possesses a greater advantage than Kabuto coz she can now negate the effects of Ninpo Sozo Saise. She can use it anytime without worrying of shortening her lifespan.

What do you reckon?

Tags:
  2. funjat Where to from here Adventure?

No, because one can regenerate a limited number of cells in one body in a lifetime. After that you are dead.

3. hesd Anomic.

I believe I did enough to highlight the distinction between create and regenerate? Please re-read the post.

4. funjat Where to from here Adventure?

What I should've said: No, because one cannot create unlimited number of cells in one body in a lifetime. A normal human can only produce so many cells. So if you are able to leverage yourself above that then you would be immortal. But Tsunade and Kabuto can't.

5. Soluzar New Member

With respect, although your intended point is clear you've done nothing to refute this theory. What you are doing above is simply stating your opinion. Without some kind of evidence from the story reasoning to back it up, normal rules of biology can't be assumed to apply to the effects of ninjutsu.

I still tend to doubt that Tsunade has gained immortality as a result of learning Kabuto's Jutsu, but I am basing my refutation on a philosophical observation about Naruto. Orochimaru seeks immortality; Orochimaru is evil, in part because of the things he is willing to do in order to achieve immortality, such as taking the body of another human for his own.

You see what I'm saying, I trust? It would be a conflict of messages if Tsunade could achieve immortality. Good authors don't allow the core values of their work to be compromised. It's quite one thing to have ambiguity, and quite another to have a clear instance of, and lets be blunt authorial hypocrisy. The Naruto-verse assigns a price to immortality, and for a good reason.

I wouldn't be saying this if Naruto wasn't a typical Shounen Jump title, but there are a few rigidly defined rules for that type of manga, and if an author wishes to break those rules, he'd be writing another genre.

6. hesd Anomic.

This actually is the point--the inconsistency that would arise if Tsunade and Kabuto's medical jutsu can gain immortality for both. So why would not every nin aspire to master the technique, however difficult it is?
    As to why would Orochimaru take over another human body..the answer is that he doesn't want to immortalize his original body..he wants a stronger one.
    And why doesn't normal rules of biology applicable? Narutoverse has proven to transcend barriers of nature. And I believe creating new cells isn't so much of an exaggeration as compared to other things in narutoverse. Btw, that a human body has a fixed number of cells does not hold water. Cell count is dynamic. What is constant is the number of cell division.
    Of course Tsunade and Kabuto will not be portrayed as immortal. I just toyed around the idea of them being able to create new cells--as the hackneyed definition goes--the building blocks of life.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  7. Soluzar New Member

Another excellent point, and eventually the Narutoverse would be filled with immortal Shinobi.

Perhaps. However, he may only keep that stronger body for as long as it lives, and then he must find another one, which may not be so strong. I don't believe that he will retain the Bloodline Limit which comes with a host body when he passes to the next one. For this reason, he might prefer to make Sasuke's body immortal, as an example.

With the double negative, I'm not honestly sure whether or not you agree with me... I think you do, though, and I also note that your distinction is correct. Total number of cells is not constant, but their rate of division is. Creating more would bypass the limitations.

For what it's worth, it was a fun idea, and I rather wish that they'd explore that notion in Naruto.

8. hesd Anomic.

OMG, sorry for the sloppy grammar!lol. Indeed, double negatives. What i meant was, to make the question affirmative, "why does normal rules of biology inapplicable?" Thanks for that one.