1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Roleplaying Section is hosting their latest create-a-character contest. This month's theme is "Magical Girls."

Check it out here!.
    Dismiss Notice

The Worst Sequels of all Time.

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by MartialHorror, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Shiny Bright like a diamond

Evan almighty was pure garbage

2. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

The only thing good about Evan Almighty was that it didn't just recycle the formula of its predecessor...

But it was still pretty crappy.

3. Jonavity Hero

Die Hard 5
    Transformers Age Of Extinction
    Home Alone 4

4. DemonDragonJ Hotter than Hell

@mr_shadow, I have seen all four Species movies, but I cannot recall every detail of them; in the third film, why did Sara not have the same sex drive that Sil and Eve had in the previous films?

5. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

I think the key component was that she had a human upbringing and therefore a better ability to control her urges.

Although didn't she run off pretty soon after becoming an adult anyway?

I liked the nature-vs-nurture thing anyhow. In the first film it's never unambiguously explained what the aliens hoped to accomplish by sending their DNA to be combined with that of humans. Laura just speculates that maybe SIL is a biological weapon. Then in the second film it's more spelled out that the aliens are a predatory race that ravaged Mars in a distant past.

But Abbot, IMO quite reasonably, thinks that maybe the aliens' intentions were not malevolent, and that SIL just turned out the way she did because Fitch & co treated her like a lab animal rather than a person. So he's going to try raising Sarah as he would a human child (as far as possible) and see what happens.

I like to think that maybe the aliens thought they were "helping" humanity by providing an "improved" genome that includes neat features like super healing and intelligence. The fact that the original-strain humans will soon die out is maybe an acceptable price to pay for the wonders that the human-alien hybrids can accomplish in the future?

Since H.R. Geiger worked on both Species and Alien there is predictably a fan theory that the two franchises take place in the same universe, in which case the transmission in the first film maybe came from the Engineers. But at the moment this can't be confirmed on-screeen since Species is owned by MGM and Alien by Fox Disney. So we'll have to wait for a future merger.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. DemonDragonJ Hotter than Hell

@mr_shadow, that is very informative, indeed, but the Fox/Disney merger still has not been finalized, from what I last heard, and each studio is still operating as if nothing has changed.

7. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Im surprised at the level of interest in "Species". I didn't think it was that big of a deal. There will never be a cross-over between "Alien" and "Species" though. Say what you will about the "Alien" franchise, but it is accompanied by a certain amount of prestige and hype. The franchise has yet to fall into direct-to-DVD territory and while the sequels are mostly divisive (at best), they have yet to taint the namesake. When you think of the franchise, you probably still think of "Alien" and "Aliens", not "Alien Vs Predator: Requiem".

I can't tell you whether "Species" holds up or not, but when people think of the franchise, they think of the deterioration...and the fact that they fell into direct-to-DVD territory. You don't crossover a beloved franchise with a garbage franchise, even if the rights somehow fell into the hands of the same owners. That would be like Freddy Krueger have a crossover with the Gingerdead Man...although if that sounds too harsh, replace the Gingerdead Man with the Leprechaun.

8. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

I've seen the first film an innumerable number of times as a teenager (won't go into why...) and therefore know enough of the dialogue by heart that I maybe read more into it than even the screenwriters deliberately put there. I think that might be true of a lot of fans.

Like, at one point I plotted out what SIL's maximum lifespan might have been.

In the first act we learn that she is 3 months old but looks like a 12-year old. In other words she aged on average 4 years per month. Then after the chrysalis phase the comes out looking 20 (Natasha's age at shooting the film). So basically:

Spoiler:

1 month - 4 years
    2 months - 8 years
    3 months - 12 years
    (Chrysalis - 16 years)
    4 months - 20 years

Extrapolating

5 months - 24 years (<- Eve's age in Species II?)
    6 months - 28 years
    7 months - 32 years
    8 months - 36 years
    9 months - 40 years
    10 months - 44 years
    11 months - 48 years
    12 months - 52 years

13 months - 56 years
    14 months - 60 years
    15 months - 64 years
    16 months - 68 years
    17 months - 72 years
    18 months - 76 years
    19 months - 80 years
    20 months - 84 years
    21 months - 88 years
    22 months - 92 years
    23 months - 96 years
    24 months - 100 years

We don't know if her growth rate is linear or if it slows down upon reaching adulthood, but assuming that it is linear she had a lifespan of only two years, which would explain the extreme urgency of procreating. The alien species could be like mayflies who live extremely short, but intense, lives.

They compensate for the compressed lifespan by being extremely acute learners. SIL learned to speak fluent English within days of her escape, as well as how to use money and drive a car. This explains how the aliens were able to invent interstellar communication and space travel. Even though the generational turnover is extremely rapid, the current generation is able to pass on all of its knowledge to the next generation in a matter of days, meaning the aggregate body of knowledge keeps growing even as the individual scientists drop like flies.

9. Hubris You're Welcome!

One of the worst sequels I've ever seen has to be Honey I blew up the Kid. I saw this movie as a child and thought this movie is absolute trash. I recall liking the first movie although I doubt I'd watch it now that I'm an adult, so I try to avoid watching things I liked as a kid. They basically turned one of their kids into a Godzilla shtick. The story development in this one was non-existent and all of the fun of the first movie was gone. This movie left you wishing that the Son of king kong showed up to give the annoying toddler a wedgie. I don't know why Rick Moranis even agreed to be in this film, but it is a pretty bad sequel.