1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

The Worst Sequels of all Time.

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by MartialHorror, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Shiny Bright like a diamond

Evan almighty was pure garbage

2. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

The only thing good about Evan Almighty was that it didn't just recycle the formula of its predecessor...

But it was still pretty crappy.

3. Jonavity Neko

Sweden
    Batman And Robin
    Die Hard 5
    Transformers Age Of Extinction
    Home Alone 4

4. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

@mr_shadow, I have seen all four Species movies, but I cannot recall every detail of them; in the third film, why did Sara not have the same sex drive that Sil and Eve had in the previous films?

5. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    I think the key component was that she had a human upbringing and therefore a better ability to control her urges.

Although didn't she run off pretty soon after becoming an adult anyway?

I liked the nature-vs-nurture thing anyhow. In the first film it's never unambiguously explained what the aliens hoped to accomplish by sending their DNA to be combined with that of humans. Laura just speculates that maybe SIL is a biological weapon. Then in the second film it's more spelled out that the aliens are a predatory race that ravaged Mars in a distant past.

But Abbot, IMO quite reasonably, thinks that maybe the aliens' intentions were not malevolent, and that SIL just turned out the way she did because Fitch & co treated her like a lab animal rather than a person. So he's going to try raising Sarah as he would a human child (as far as possible) and see what happens.

I like to think that maybe the aliens thought they were "helping" humanity by providing an "improved" genome that includes neat features like super healing and intelligence. The fact that the original-strain humans will soon die out is maybe an acceptable price to pay for the wonders that the human-alien hybrids can accomplish in the future?

Since H.R. Geiger worked on both Species and Alien there is predictably a fan theory that the two franchises take place in the same universe, in which case the transmission in the first film maybe came from the Engineers. But at the moment this can't be confirmed on-screeen since Species is owned by MGM and Alien by Fox Disney. So we'll have to wait for a future merger.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

@mr_shadow, that is very informative, indeed, but the Fox/Disney merger still has not been finalized, from what I last heard, and each studio is still operating as if nothing has changed.

7. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Im surprised at the level of interest in "Species". I didn't think it was that big of a deal. There will never be a cross-over between "Alien" and "Species" though. Say what you will about the "Alien" franchise, but it is accompanied by a certain amount of prestige and hype. The franchise has yet to fall into direct-to-DVD territory and while the sequels are mostly divisive (at best), they have yet to taint the namesake. When you think of the franchise, you probably still think of "Alien" and "Aliens", not "Alien Vs Predator: Requiem".

I can't tell you whether "Species" holds up or not, but when people think of the franchise, they think of the deterioration...and the fact that they fell into direct-to-DVD territory. You don't crossover a beloved franchise with a garbage franchise, even if the rights somehow fell into the hands of the same owners. That would be like Freddy Krueger have a crossover with the Gingerdead Man...although if that sounds too harsh, replace the Gingerdead Man with the Leprechaun.

8. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    I've seen the first film an innumerable number of times as a teenager (won't go into why...) and therefore know enough of the dialogue by heart that I maybe read more into it than even the screenwriters deliberately put there. I think that might be true of a lot of fans.

Like, at one point I plotted out what SIL's maximum lifespan might have been.

In the first act we learn that she is 3 months old but looks like a 12-year old. In other words she aged on average 4 years per month. Then after the chrysalis phase the comes out looking 20 (Natasha's age at shooting the film). So basically:

Spoiler:

1 month - 4 years
    2 months - 8 years
    3 months - 12 years
    (Chrysalis - 16 years)
    4 months - 20 years

Extrapolating

5 months - 24 years (<- Eve's age in Species II?)
    6 months - 28 years
    7 months - 32 years
    8 months - 36 years
    9 months - 40 years
    10 months - 44 years
    11 months - 48 years
    12 months - 52 years

13 months - 56 years
    14 months - 60 years
    15 months - 64 years
    16 months - 68 years
    17 months - 72 years
    18 months - 76 years
    19 months - 80 years
    20 months - 84 years
    21 months - 88 years
    22 months - 92 years
    23 months - 96 years
    24 months - 100 years

We don't know if her growth rate is linear or if it slows down upon reaching adulthood, but assuming that it is linear she had a lifespan of only two years, which would explain the extreme urgency of procreating. The alien species could be like mayflies who live extremely short, but intense, lives.

They compensate for the compressed lifespan by being extremely acute learners. SIL learned to speak fluent English within days of her escape, as well as how to use money and drive a car. This explains how the aliens were able to invent interstellar communication and space travel. Even though the generational turnover is extremely rapid, the current generation is able to pass on all of its knowledge to the next generation in a matter of days, meaning the aggregate body of knowledge keeps growing even as the individual scientists drop like flies.

9. Hubris You're Welcome!

One of the worst sequels I've ever seen has to be Honey I blew up the Kid. I saw this movie as a child and thought this movie is absolute trash. I recall liking the first movie although I doubt I'd watch it now that I'm an adult, so I try to avoid watching things I liked as a kid. They basically turned one of their kids into a Godzilla shtick. The story development in this one was non-existent and all of the fun of the first movie was gone. This movie left you wishing that the Son of king kong showed up to give the annoying toddler a wedgie. I don't know why Rick Moranis even agreed to be in this film, but it is a pretty bad sequel.

10. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

I will be reaching further back in time for the next films that I shall mention; during the 1940's, Universal Studios had experienced amazing success with their monster films, so they naturally decided to make sequels to them. The Bride of Frankenstein was an amazing success, but Son of Frankenstein was merely above average, lacking the emotional impact and staying power of its two predecessors. Universal also made no less than four sequels to The Mummy, and they all were rather formulaic repeats of the original, but without a charismatic leading actor such as Boris Karloff.

On the subject of The Mummy, the 1999 Mummy film was actually very good (and I cannot believe that that film will soon be 20 years old), but it spawned two sequels and a spin-off (the latter of which I shall not even bother mentioning): the first sequel, The Mummy Returns, was essentially a complete copy of the first, but was still fairly enjoyable (remember that Ghostbusters 2 and Home Alone 2 are essentially repeats of their originals, but are still regarded as excellent films in their own rights), but the second sequel, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, was awful, being a terrible mess of nonstop action and lacking the original leading actress from the first two films. I cannot believe that Jet Li agreed to be in such a film, as that was nearly as bad as Jackie Chan agreeing to partner with both Owen Wilson and Chris Tucker; both Chan and Li should not have lowered themselves to appearing in such mediocre films.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  11. Monna Malicious Miraculous Malevolent Maelstrom

300 and Sin City both had absolutely terrible sequels. Ironically I think these movies series were made by the same creator. :hm

12. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Well, at least in the case of "Rush Hour" and "Shanghai Noon", like them or not, they were responsible for Jackie Chan becoming famous in the west. Even though they weren't my first Jackie Chan experiences, I don't know if I would've explored his Chinese filmography if it weren't for those and I assume many feel the same way...although I doubt anyone feels that way about "The Mummy 3" for Jet Li.

The old Mummy sequels were pretty weak and formulaic. Does "Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster" count as a sequel?

13. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

I was well aware of Jackie Chan long before those two film series, having seen First Strike, Mr. Nice Guy, Armor of God/Operation Condor, Project A, and Legend of Drunken Master before his American films, and both The Medallion and The Tuxedo were very bland and forgettable.

I have never even heard of that film, before now; did it have any connection to the famous Karloff film, or was it merely using the famous name?

14. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

1) But I would assume most people in America weren't familiar with Jackie Chan prior to "Rush Hour" and "Shanghai Noon". They're not anywhere near his best works, but they functioned nicely as gateway drugs for American audiences. I think I had seen "First Strike" and "Rumble in the Bronx". I thought "The Medallion" sucked and "The Tuxedo" had its moments, but I agree it was pretty bad.

2) I don't think so, I think they just used the name. I hear some of those latter Dracula/Wolf-Man/Frankenstein crossover flicks were pretty bad, but I haven't seen them. I wasn't crazy about most of the old Universal sequels. I think "Son of Frankenstein" is good in its own way, but you're right about it lacking the emotional core of its predecessor. The rest of the Frankenstein movies were pretty weak, as were the Mummy sequels...although I actually prefer "Hand of the Mummy" over the original Karloff film. I'm actually one of the few people who doesn't like the original Mummy, but I think it's funny how when most people think of the original Mummy, they are actually thinking of "Hand of the Mummy".

15. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I'm probably a bit biased as I fucking love almost everything that is Universal Monsters, but I think the crossover films are really darn good. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula are all fantastic, as is Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

16. Dragon D. Luffy of the Stars

HG2 is watchable. It is starting to stink but has some of what made HG1 so good.

HG3 is so bad to this day I havent brought myself to see the last film.

17. Dragon D. Luffy of the Stars

/closethread

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  18. Dragon D. Luffy of the Stars

Mission Impossible 2

It's weird because all sequels after it were good even if the formula got stale. But at least it has a good formula while 2 is just a generic action film that pretends Tom Cruise alone can be the reason to see something.

19. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

"Criminally Insane 2" (AKA "Crazy Fat Ethel 2") might be a contender. The first one wasn't really a good movie, but it was fine in the context of 1970's, low budget, grindhousploitation. The sequel is 50% stock footage of the first, 50% unwatchable.

20. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    But it's directed by John Woo! :wth

21. Dragon D. Luffy of the Stars

22. Cardboard Tube Knight Breaking hearts; breaking rackets

How was that film any worse than the original? I thought that both were equally corny and campy.

24. Cardboard Tube Knight Breaking hearts; breaking rackets

The original makes sense, the second one is a mess. They start off by murdering characters right away and then so much random shit just happens. I remember being a kid and knowing it sucked.

25. Plexa Well-Known Member

The Land Before Time's DVD sequels took quite a dark and emotional film and turned it into a singalong series. I'm not going to pretend I didn't buy the boxset and don't know the lyrics to most of the song and don't absolutely love everything about it, but looking at them objectively they betrayed a lot of the content from the original by turning them into happy-go-lucky anti-bullying infomercials.

The Star Wars prequels are pretty bad, even if I adore them.

I think Iron Man 2 was pretty disappointing, and while I appreciate what they were trying to do with Stark's alcoholism and terminal illness, it was more of a way to introduce War Machine and Black Widow, accelerate the roles of Romanov, Fury and Coulson, familiarise us with S.H.I.E.L.D. and help to set things up for Avengers Assemble. In that respect it shares similarities with Infinity War, which is also clearly leading up to and setting the scene for New Avengers and Captain Marvel. The difference is that Infinity War accomplishes this with real weight and glory, and is at least entertaining to watch. Iron Man 2 could probably be skipped from the series and it wouldn't impact the MCU in any real way (I think that Romanov being introduced to us in the interrogation scene in Assemble is actually a more powerful way to establish her character). The original Iron Man was quite charming in a way, particularly watching Stark tinker with his weapons and suits, and much of that charm was missing from the sequel.

Thor isn't anything special, but Thor: The Dark World is also quite disappointing succeeding Assemble, and places all its bets on Hiddleston's Loki who, although charismatic, I think we have seen enough of.

26. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

I will agree that changing the actor who played Raiden was a major mistake, as the new actor neither looked nor sounded like Christopher Lambert, nor had his acting ability.

27. Marco 8 Ball Palma Banned

i cannot think of one right now. But i will try and come back.

28. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I seem to remember whole storythreads being dropped...although I've purged so much of the movie from memory that I can't remember what. If you do watch them again, at least the first one had some good choreography and set design. The 2nd one looks cheaper and more rushed.

29. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

Blade Trinity. It just wasn't as good as the first two movies.

30. Rukia I’m the fucking game!

Germany
    The Last Jedi.