• Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is February 28 at 9 pm UTC.

• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Theory: Sarada will not unlock the Mangekyo Sharingan in the series

Bashkuga

UNLESS certain aspects of it get retconned. First of all, it's important to note that the use of the Mangekyo's powers will cause terrible mental and physical strain on the user. So much so that if used too much it will cause the eyes to lose their light, thus making the user blind at some point. The solution to this in the original series was the Eternal Mangekyo, which seemed to pretty much nullify the above mentioned downsides (or in Obito's case his Hashi cells). However, to unlock the Eternal Mangekyo one needs to replace their eyes with the Mangekyo eyes of a very closely-blooded Uchiha relative. Seeing that every Uchiha except Sasuke is dead, the only person able to grant her these eyes would be, unsurprisingly, Sasuke. The problem is that Sasuke only got one eye left after the Ishikki debacle, and I very much doubt the writers would want to only give her one Eternal eye.

So the only way I see Sarada getting the Mangekyo is by retconning away all the mentioned downsides, so that she can always use it without any consequences. I would personally not be a fan of such a decision, but it's possible that I have missed something in my theory that would grant her the Eternal Mangekyo anyway.

Utopia Realm

Looking for strong opponent's to fight.
Wouldn't mind if she just raises the level of her base sharingan. LIke, increase her perception and precog abilities to an even higher extent. Maybe give her shape and elemental manipulation to her CES strength. Fire-Wind CES punches and kicks along with wind style shunsin.

DekuScrub

Hiding at the Owl Cafe...maybe
Honestly I feel the same. I don't think Sarada will awaken the Mangekyo unless something massively changes for her. It seemed that the thing was awakened by the mental strain of committing a betrayal, either real or perceived.

Examples of perceived betrayals would be:

1. Itachi -> Shisui
2. Obito -> Kakashi and Rin
3. Sasuke -> Itachi

Madara and Izuna are unexplained, but they were at war. We can make guesses.

Also, there's one big theme I've noticed in the Boruto series: It seems to be aimed at parents who used to follow the previous series, as much as it is aimed at the current generation's kids. This attitude usually manifests itself in "parent" jokes (such as Hiashi going complete Grandpa mode), or in themes involving parents and children. We have already had Sarada's parents state quite firmly they do *not* want Sarada going through anything that would result in a Mangekyo awakening. I admit this could be a Chekov's Gun of sorts, but I also get the feeling that unless she makes a point of seeking it, she won't awaken it. Just a hunch.

I really would like her to find her own thing in her own personal journey.

I Blue I

Akatsuki Member
Well, I think she probably won’t get Mangekyou because its requirements absolutely demand screen time and character development. And we shouldn’t delude ourselves into thinking Sarada is getting anything of the sort.

Utopia Realm

Looking for strong opponent's to fight.
I thought about it and perhaps instead of a Mangekyou that requires betrayal of sorts to activate, Sarada gets a Mangekyou based on self sacrifice for someone she loves, causing her eyes to evolve a different way.

Alita

Alita>You
They could use the excuse that her father's unique situation and genes allow her to develop an ems naturally or give her reduced eye problems. She could also produce a healing jutsu to heal herself of prolonged negative effects like through byakugou or something else.

xingi

Well, I think she probably won’t get Mangekyou because its requirements absolutely demand screen time and character development. And we shouldn’t delude ourselves into thinking Sarada is getting anything of the sort.
Ehhh,

Same could be said for 3 tomoe although to a lesser degree or even CES yet she got it anyway

Abcdjdj1234

UNLESS certain aspects of it get retconned. First of all, it's important to note that the use of the Mangekyo's powers will cause terrible mental and physical strain on the user. So much so that if used too much it will cause the eyes to lose their light, thus making the user blind at some point. The solution to this in the original series was the Eternal Mangekyo, which seemed to pretty much nullify the above mentioned downsides (or in Obito's case his Hashi cells). However, to unlock the Eternal Mangekyo one needs to replace their eyes with the Mangekyo eyes of a very closely-blooded Uchiha relative. Seeing that every Uchiha except Sasuke is dead, the only person able to grant her these eyes would be, unsurprisingly, Sasuke. The problem is that Sasuke only got one eye left after the Ishikki debacle, and I very much doubt the writers would want to only give her one Eternal eye.
Sasuke's original pair of eyes
Hashi cells
Ninja tech
Byakago seal
Otsutsuki chakra asspull

Literally anything is possible, hell they might just use the excuse that she's the daughter of a six paths chakra / rinnegan user like Indra was hagaromos child and hence she won't go blind like Indra
So the only way I see Sarada getting the Mangekyo is by retconning away all the mentioned downsides, so that she can always use it without any consequences. I would personally not be a fan of such a decision, but it's possible that I have missed something in my theory that would grant her the Eternal Mangekyo anyway.
"Say no more fam"
Naruto gets a nuclear furry mode which does not kill him when it kills kurama and y'all worried about these retcons :catskully

Abcdjdj1234

I certainly hope so. Sarada deserves her own thing.
Own thing as in an alien gives her asspull tatoos otherwise no
Wouldn't mind if she just raises the level of her base sharingan. LIke, increase her perception and precog abilities to an even higher extent. Maybe give her shape and elemental manipulation to her CES strength. Fire-Wind CES punches and kicks along with wind style shunsin.
Sasuke with rinnegan getting stomped out here this is nowhere even close
Honestly I feel the same. I don't think Sarada will awaken the Mangekyo unless something massively changes for her. It seemed that the thing was awakened by the mental strain of committing a betrayal, either real or perceived.

Examples of perceived betrayals would be:

1. Itachi -> Shisui
2. Obito -> Kakashi and Rin
3. Sasuke -> Itachi

Madara and Izuna are unexplained, but they were at war. We can make guesses.

Also, there's one big theme I've noticed in the Boruto series: It seems to be aimed at parents who used to follow the previous series, as much as it is aimed at the current generation's kids. This attitude usually manifests itself in "parent" jokes (such as Hiashi going complete Grandpa mode), or in themes involving parents and children. We have already had Sarada's parents state quite firmly they do *not* want Sarada going through anything that would result in a Mangekyo awakening. I admit this could be a Chekov's Gun of sorts, but I also get the feeling that unless she makes a point of seeking it, she won't awaken it. Just a hunch.

I really would like her to find her own thing in her own personal journey.
We are reaching alien universal God tier here and y'all don't want her to awaken meager MS? This makes zero sense :dafuq

She remains at three tomoe while boruto and kawaki go planet level otsutsuki? :scoobyhuh

MS was drawn by kishi as a concept art even before the series started, and it was already foreshadowed in the anime as a future tragedy. There's no way it's not coming

We have already had Sarada's parents state quite firmly they do *not* want Sarada going through anything that would result in a Mangekyo awakening
Not really re-watch the scene, none of them told that they didn't want Sarada to awaken MS, they assumed that it was a foregone possibility ( foreshadowing it) and feared how she would handle it

Last edited:

Abcdjdj1234

This is the kind of cynicism I can agree with :catskully but look at her three tomoe and Chidori , it was given to her randomly by the manga, them giving her MS in a half assed way without much development is more likely to happen... It won't be good or satisfying but it'll happen

dergeist

Retconned:kobeha

No, that isn't even remotely true. The sharingan comes by a surge in the brain chakra, which activates a gland which releases the yin chakra, which awakens the sharingan. The stronger it becomes the stronger the eyes become. Some require an emotional surge, but others like Madara, Itachi (saw Shisui die, but wasn't traumatised), likely Izuna (he supposedly awoke it the same way as Madara) etc don't. They awaken the powerful eyes as they are.

So, whatever causes the brain surge is good enough.

Also, Nazirama was a smidgen biased against the Uchiha, largely out of fear of their sharingan. He clearly said they awaken a power not even the senju can match. And was trying to justify why he pushed the Uchiha into the corner and turned them towards resentment.

Bashkuga

Retconned:kobeha

No, that isn't even remotely true. The sharingan comes by a surge in the brain chakra, which activates a gland which releases the yin chakra, which awakens the sharingan. The stronger it becomes the stronger the eyes become. Some require an emotional surge, but others like Madara, Itachi (saw Shisui die, but wasn't traumatised), likely Izuna (he supposedly awoke it the same way as Madara) etc don't. They awaken the powerful eyes as they are.

So, whatever causes the brain surge is good enough.

Also, Nazirama was a smidgen biased against the Uchiha, largely out of fear of their sharingan. He clearly said they awaken a power not even the senju can match. And was trying to justify why he pushed the Uchiha into the corner and turned them towards resentment.
Did you actually read my post though? I didn't say anything about the conditions of getting the MS, I'm talking about her not receiving it in the story because of the strain and eventual blindness that comes alongside it, which as of now can only be fixed through EMS or Hashi cells.

Sasuke's original pair of eyes
Hashi cells
Ninja tech
Byakago seal
Otsutsuki chakra asspull

Literally anything is possible, hell they might just use the excuse that she's the daughter of a six paths chakra / rinnegan user like Indra was hagaromos child and hence she won't go blind like Indra
Sasuke's original pair of eyes - possibly, however I doubt that the writers even remotely remember the existence of these. It's the best possibility though.
Hashi cells; there has to be a very good reason for her to receive Hashi's cells (as these would drastically alter her appearance like a Hashi head growing on her body or fully white limbs).
Ninja tech; let's not go there please.
Byakago seal; that's now how it works. The Byakugo seal activates the Creation Rebirth jutsu, which repairs damaged body tissue by forcing cells to rapidly split. The blindness that comes with the Mangekyo is a result of "losing the light" in their eyes, not of damaged tissue. So unless this also gets retconned the Byakugo seal wouldn't do shit. And even if it (unsurprisingly) gets retconned, then Sarada first needs to learn medical ninjutsu before she can active the seal, since the Byakugo is the pinnacle of medical ninjutsu. As of now it doesn't seem like she's putting any focus to it, but this could obviously change in the course of the story.
Otsutsuki chakra asspull; a reason so terrible that even the Boruto writers would find it too much.

Whilst of course everything is possible, the point of my post is to find a proper reason for her to no get blind or get the EMS without making it feel like a retcon or an asspull. Using Sasuke's old eyes seems to be the best-case scenario imo.

I expect this to be the case. It's more likely that she will hone her 3T to a greater extent, like Utopia mentioned.

Last edited:

dergeist

Did you actually read my post though? I didn't say anything about the conditions of getting the MS, I'm talking about her not receiving it in the story because of the strain and eventual blindness that comes alongside it, which as of now can only be fixed through EMS or Hashi cells.

Not quite, if she gets Byakugou they've connected it to rokudo sennin, so it might be a get out of blindness technique. Also, she is the first child of a rokudo chakra rinnegan bearer, so is in the same position as the original Indra and he inherited the sage's powerful chakra and chakra genes I doubt he went blind, so..

Bashkuga

Not quite, if she gets Byakugou they've connected it to rokudo sennin, so it might be a get out of blindness technique. Also, she is the first child of a rokudo chakra rinnegan bearer, so is in the same position as the original Indra and he inherited the sage's powerful chakra and chakra genes I doubt he went blind, so..
To cite my previous post about the Byakugo seal; that's now how it works. The Byakugo seal activates the Creation Rebirth jutsu, which repairs damaged body tissue by forcing cells to rapidly split. The blindness that comes with the Mangekyo is a result of "losing the light" in their eyes, not of damaged tissue. So unless this also gets retconned the Byakugo seal wouldn't do shit. And even if it (unsurprisingly) gets retconned, then Sarada first needs to learn medical ninjutsu before she can active the seal, since the Byakugo is the pinnacle of medical ninjutsu. As of now it doesn't seem like she's putting any focus to it, but this could obviously change in the course of the story.

Besides, we have no idea if Indra got blind or not. We barely know anything about him, so I don't think it's really fair to use him as a comparison in this case. There is basically a bit too much headcanon in your theory there :p.

dergeist

To cite my previous post about the Byakugo seal; that's now how it works. The Byakugo seal activates the Creation Rebirth jutsu, which repairs damaged body tissue by forcing cells to rapidly split. The blindness that comes with the Mangekyo is a result of "losing the light" in their eyes, not of damaged tissue. So unless this also gets retconned the Byakugo seal wouldn't do shit. And even if it (unsurprisingly) gets retconned, then Sarada first needs to learn medical ninjutsu before she can active the seal, since the Byakugo is the pinnacle of medical ninjutsu. As of now it doesn't seem like she's putting any focus to it, but this could obviously change in the course of the story.

That was pre-retcon bud, initially Tsunade invented it, then it got attributed to rokudo in the new series :DankPepe

Besides, we have no idea if Indra got blind or not. We barely know anything about him, so I don't think it's really fair to use him as a comparison in this case. There is basically a bit too much headcanon in your theory there :p.

We know he didn't go blind since he inherited rokudo's chakra. It is also why he awoke PS without needing brother's eyes, unlike the other Uchiha. The only other one who awoke PS with his own eyes was Obito and Kakashi attributed it to Rokudo chakra. So I'll let you do the math there :mahbro

Edit: I don't mind even if she doesn't, as long as she stomp diffs the arsepullers it will be more salt in the wounds of his stans.

Last edited:

Bashkuga

That was pre-retcon bud, initially Tsunade invented it, then it got attributed to rokudo in the new series :DankPepe
How does that address my point? Did you, yet again, actually read my post? The seal itself is only an accumulation of a large amount of chakra, but on itself doesn't do anything else.

We know he didn't go blind since he inherited rokudo's chakra.
Source on the not going blind part?

It is also why he awoke PS without needing brother's eyes, unlike the other Uchiha. The only other one who awoke PS with his own eyes was Obito and Kakashi attributed it to Rokudo chakra. So I'll let you do the math there :mahbro
Sure, so where is the part that deals with him going blind or not? And besides, Kakashi only mentioned gaining Six Path's power enhances ocular powers AFTER he successfully tried to form Kamui into a shuriken; he did not specifically say gaining PS itself. It's not solid proof of anything ;).

dergeist

How does that address my point? Did you, yet again, actually read my post? The seal itself is only an accumulation of a large amount of chakra, but on itself doesn't do anything else.

You're post assumes they're keeping the seal as merely chakra storage. It has been associated with karma and rokudo, so yes I expect it to be involved in countering blindness, although I doubt it will be necessary.

Source on the not going blind part?

I dunno the fact that he wasn't actually confirmed to be blind, whipped out PS (something not seen outside of EMS, except with Rokudo chakra) and has Rokudo chakra. Then he went on to fight an Asura who was given power up by Asspullromo. In fact there's no proof anybody went blind, except Sasuke and Itachi.

Sure, so where is the part that deals with him going blind or not? And besides, Kakashi only mentioned gaining Six Path's power enhances ocular powers AFTER he successfully tried to form Kamui into a shuriken; he did not specifically say gaining PS itself. It's not solid proof of anything ;).

Nope, the fact PS came into existence, even though MS has an upper limit of legless armour Susano'o is the proof against that head canon. Also, Kakashi was spamming the MS, then it's returned to Obito and he forms a PS with the rokudo chakra, and no signs of blindness.

I mean you argued Hashi cells cure blindness, you got any proof of that headcanon:hmm

Abcdjdj1234

Sasuke's original pair of eyes - possibly, however I doubt that the writers even remotely remember the existence of these. It's the best possibility though.
Hashi cells; there has to be a very good reason for her to receive Hashi's cells (as these would drastically alter her appearance like a Hashi head growing on her body or fully white limbs).
Ninja tech; let's not go there please.
Byakago seal; that's now how it works. The Byakugo seal activates the Creation Rebirth jutsu, which repairs damaged body tissue by forcing cells to rapidly split. The blindness that comes with the Mangekyo is a result of "losing the light" in their eyes, not of damaged tissue. So unless this also gets retconned the Byakugo seal wouldn't do shit. And even if it (unsurprisingly) gets retconned, then Sarada first needs to learn medical ninjutsu before she can active the seal, since the Byakugo is the pinnacle of medical ninjutsu. As of now it doesn't seem like she's putting any focus to it, but this could obviously change in the course of the story.
Otsutsuki chakra asspull; a reason so terrible that even the Boruto writers would find it too much.

Whilst of course everything is possible, the point of my post is to find a proper reason for her to no get blind or get the EMS without making it feel like a retcon or an asspull. Using Sasuke's old eyes seems to be the best-case scenario imo.

I expect this to be the case. It's more likely that she will hone her 3T to a greater extent, like Utopia mentioned.
This makes zero sense when the power scaling is going to evolve into universal God level one day, sarada is not going to be kept at three tomoe sharingan in any way, it's baseline common sense. Even kakashi was not kept at three tomoe much less sarada will be :tiredpepe

Hell kakashi spammed kamui and still somehow never went blind due to plot

I listed out ways they could bypass her blindness, and even if not any of that they'll find a new retcon or asspull or whatever. They literally pulled a nuclear furry mode which didn't kill naruto and kurama died. It's not rocket science.

MS is literally Baseline at this point, she should be getting something atleast on the level of the rinnegan or more to be close to the boys

Bashkuga

You're post assumes they're keeping the seal as merely chakra storage. It has been associated with karma and rokudo, so yes I expect it to be involved in countering blindness, although I doubt it will be necessary.
So far it is only confirmed to be just Chakra storage. It's definitely possible that it will gain a greater role as the series progress, but I wouldn't hold my breath until we have more information.

I dunno the fact that he wasn't actually confirmed to be blind, whipped out PS (something not seen outside of EMS, except with Rokudo chakra) and has Rokudo chakra. Then he went on to fight an Asura who was given power up by Asspullromo.
We have no info about him other than that he is the son of Hagoromo who inherited his mental powers, that he fought with his brother, and used PS. We also know that he was defeated by his brother, and who knows, maybe that was because of the blindness that eventually occurred? Just because it's not confirmed that he wasn't blind doesn't mean it didn't happen, especially because of the information that we have about the MS in general.

In fact there's no proof anybody went blind, except Sasuke and Itachi.
Kakashi mentioned that he was losing vision on his Sharingan around the end of the war arc, and Madara took his brother's eyes as well.

Nope, the fact PS came into existence, even though MS has an upper limit of legless armour Susano'o is the proof against that head canon. Also, Kakashi was spamming the MS, then it's returned to Obito and he forms a PS with the rokudo chakra, and no signs of blindness.
Firstly, there is no proof that EMS is needed for PS. We only know that Susanoo develops in stages, as can be seen with Sasuke vs Kakashi in the Land of Iron bridge. The series and the databook also so far only have stated that EMS' purpose is to stop the negative side-effects from happening. Secondly, Kakashi, like I mentioned, started to lose vision in his left eye. Let me show you the panel:

As for using Obito's PS (which was an actual asspull), it was not his power, it was a temporary one from Obito. It's not the same situation as Sarada gaining her own MS.

I mean you argued Hashi cells cure blindness, you got any proof of that headcanon:hmm
Truthfully, there isn't. In fact there is also no proof that Obito wasn't going blind either. HOWEVER, the difference here is that Hashi's cells gave him a ton more durability, so much so that he could survive without having to eat or drink and rapid healing powers. Besides that, Hashi's cells also restored Madara's eye that he used Izanagi with, so it ain't far-fetched to believe that Hashi's cells have the same effect on Obito's MS. But of course this is objectively viewed still headcanon, as there is no official confirmation to this, however it's far more believable than Sarada not going blind because she is the daughter of the reincarnation of Hagoromo's son.

Abcdjdj1234

Byakago is not medical ninjutsu it's the pinnacle of chakra control. The seal and mitotic regeneration jutsu are two different things. You don't need medical ninjutsu to store chakra and create the seal

Boruto manga spent seven pages explaining things about the seal and medical ninjutsu was not even mentioned once. It was called a jutsu which gives you great power in emergency cases. No medical ninjutsu.

Bashkuga

This makes zero sense when the power scaling is going to evolve into universal God level one day, sarada is not going to be kept at three tomoe sharingan in any way, it's baseline common sense. Even kakashi was not kept at three tomoe much less sarada will be :tiredpepe

Hell kakashi spammed kamui and still somehow never went blind due to plot

I listed out ways they could bypass her blindness, and even if not any of that they'll find a new retcon or asspull or whatever. They literally pulled a nuclear furry mode which didn't kill naruto and kurama died. It's not rocket science.

MS is literally Baseline at this point, she should be getting something atleast on the level of the rinnegan or more to be close to the boys
I mean I don't disagree with your reasoning for power scaling, I just don't see how they could do it without retconning stuff (other than Sasuke's original eyes). There is also the possibility that the producers won't give a shit and keep her at 3T, because they're too focused on Boruto and Kawaki. Btw, Kakashi did go pretty much blind; see my post above.

Byakago is not medical ninjutsu it's the pinnacle of chakra control. The seal and mitotic regeneration jutsu are two different things. You don't need medical ninjutsu to store chakra and create the seal

Boruto manga spent seven pages explaining things about the seal and medical ninjutsu was not even mentioned once. It was called a jutsu which gives you great power in emergency cases. No medical ninjutsu.
I worded it wrongly by accident, I meant that the Creation Rebirth was the pinnacle of medical ninjutsu. The Byakugo seal itself doesn't do anything else other than store a large amount of chakra, but I don't see how that would prevent the strain and blindness from using MS.

Abcdjdj1234

I mean I don't disagree with your reasoning for power scaling, I just don't see how they could do it without retconning stuff (other than Sasuke's original eyes). There is also the possibility that the producers won't give a shit and keep her at 3T, because they're too focused on Boruto and Kawaki. Btw, Kakashi did go pretty much blind; see my post above.

I worded it wrongly by accident, I meant that the Creation Rebirth was the pinnacle of medical ninjutsu. The Byakugo seal itself doesn't do anything else other than store a large amount of chakra, but I don't see how that would prevent the strain and blindness from using MS.
The producers won't give a shit and never explain her lack of ms blindness is more likely, more focus on boruto and kawaki didn't prevent them from randomly giving her three tomoe and Chidori. I don't see why it has to be any different for her MS.

Sarada getting ms and Susanoo will sell merch. It's a no brainer from the story and business point of view.

Bashkuga

The producers won't give a shit and never explain her lack of ms blindness is more likely, more focus on boruto and kawaki didn't prevent them from randomly giving her three tomoe and Chidori. I don't see why it has to be any different for her MS.

Sarada getting ms and Susanoo will sell merch. It's a no brainer from the story and business point of view.
That's definitely something I can see happening.

Top Bottom