1. opcontest
    Vote in the One Piece Fanart Contest!
    The Voting ends on Jul 10, 2020 at 6:13 PM.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alley Banner Contest
    Join the Alley's Thread Festival!
    Make a thread a day from the 1st to the 10th of July.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

This convo can sleep for centuries, to wake when it's least expected.

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Cardboard Tube Knight, Dec 11, 2010.

1. ЯƎWO⅃ᖷ

while we are on the subject of things that no longer are- whatever happened to dream brother?

2. Jimin

The fayth stopped dreaming... :catsad

3. Buskuv Retired Staff

I came across a slew of really old sci-fi serials at a book store the other day.

I'm talking like late 50s / early 60s.

I love this kind of stuff, and it's rekindled a longing for these stories and this kind of sci-fi. It's colorful, incredibly creative and non-derivative. I miss when fantasy and science fiction was creative and expansive, unique, not simply Tolkien or Space Operas.

Yes, yes, exceptions to the rule and all that, but these are fun, short, and often have that vague melancholy and futility they seemed to love in the 60s.

4. Buskuv Retired Staff

Been reading a shit ton of Cormack McCarthy lately.

Some of it I've already read, years ago, and others I've never had the chance, but it's really helped solidify that Southern Gothic literature fetish I have; it started way back in high school with people like Flannery O'Connor but it's just kept going.

It's hard to pinpoint why but a certain resonating with a genre so incredibly mired in haunting folk tales.

5. RemChu

Been reading old scifi by this Andre Norton chick. Damn, never thought of how it was like, to be a human girl lusting for Elven dick before. It's weird how it has magic, yet science fiction concepts.

The blend is good.

6. Catamount

Flag:
    Grenada

Hey there.

Lets revive reading club!

I suggest Kino no Tabi as it's a perfect novel to start with.

Please join

See you there, lovely bookworms <3

7. Mider T

Flag:
    United States

Is this thread where this came from?

8. Tyrael

So Pratchett wrote a short story in the style of Lovecraft about christmas cards, and goddamn is it magnificent.

9. Jimin

How do you people maintain the energy to finish really long works? :sadpanda

10. choco bao bao

Depends whether it's gold or not :catskully
    If it is I suppose you're so caught up in the plot/language/world/characters that you crave to find out more or want to know what happens in the end.

11. Robin

If I get to ch. 2 of any fiction book, I'll make it to the end :aww

12. Jimin

I've already seen the TV show of the novel. It's been pretty good so far but there's still a lot left. :noworries

13. choco bao bao

Bought this when I was in Beijing 4 years ago. Yet to flip open the cover :bookerskully

14. Rapidus

Flag:
    United States
    It's really hard to say how anyone really does it. :hmm I believe it has a lot to do with the motivation and determination to get any kind of project/work done. I am shameful to admit it, but I have started plenty of projects that I ended up on putting on the shelf because I either lost the motivation for it, or just didn't seem to be into it anymore. I mean, there are several potential great novel ideas unfinished ? and in their brainstorming stage, might I add ? in my writing folder on my computer. :laugh

So, I guess, all-in-all, if you're willing to stick with it, you'll be able to finish a project. It's all depending on dedication and motivation.

15. The Pirate on Wheels

I can count the number of books I've started and didn't finish on one finger. Provided it wasn't at someone's house and I lost access to it or something. I count reading a couple pages and deciding I dislike this book enough to never want to look at it again as finishing.

16. Jirou

If it's within my circle of interest, then no matter how long the work is or how thick the book is and how many installments are there, I'll be able to finish them all. On the other hand, if a certain work is new to my taste or field of interest, it might take a while for me to finish it. But once I get hooked into it? Oh man, there's no stopping me :catblush

17. Robin

The last time I read a fiction book was probably around 10 years ago, it was The Lord of the Rings. I used to like sci-fi.

Now I only read non-fiction. And I'm always busy so I may not finish if I got the gist of the idea and I know where the author is going. But I rarely drop a fiction if I got past the first few chapters.

18. Jirou

Yesterday I went to the nearest Fully Booked branch (it's like the cream of the crop of bookstores here) and I cried when I saw the limited edition leatherbound book set for A Song of Ice and Fire series, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy :catsad

19. The Pirate on Wheels

Do you guys and dolls find you have a different mentality toward e-books and online writings than you do printed versions?

20. Kikyo

Not really. I like to read. The format doesn't really matter to me.

But a book I love? That, I will spend good money to have a nicely bound hard cover edition. Something to treasure and appreciate for years to come. Assuming that such an edition is available anyway.

21. Jirou

I love reading. No matter what kind, I'll read it. It's already become a part of me. The only thing I have against e-books or online writings is how the radiation of my phone or my laptop affects my eyes after hours and hours of reading. That's all, really. Tbh, I currently have more e-book copies than I do have the physical/printed ones and it's because I'm so poor :catcry but whenever I have the chance to be able to buy a physical copy, I do make sure that it's the hardbound version.

22. Cardboard Tube Knight

Yes.

I basically treat print books like they don't exist at this point. All my reading is done on Kindle, iPhone, or iPad. Even when it comes to comic books I keep the hard copy bagged and boarded and read them on the iPad.

I do use paper to review my own writing, but that's just because I don't have a tablet that I can write on anymore. Getting an iPad Pro for this reason soon.

23. Moka

I'm just here because I love talking about anime. :chinpo

24. Krory

That's nice, dear.

25. Catamount

Flag:
    Grenada

Where can I complain about GRRM posting shit about cinema, cards and awards in his blog and not giving even a note on the next SoIaF book :catflip

26. Krory

Literally anywhere.

27. Catamount

Flag:
    Grenada

Then I am raging.
    He is a damn attention whore.

28. Buskuv Retired Staff

I really hate reading a book where the premise and world is far more interesting than the actual story contained with in it.

The Windup Girl isn't a bad story by any means, but it has that really frustrating, modern inclination to just end abruptly and without meaningful resolution because the author has no idea what to do; what's fascinating about the book is the world in which the story takes place, since it's both engaging and terrifying, but there are too many characters and too short of a page count for as much to happen as should be.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  29. ЯƎWO⅃ᖷ

Memba when this place had life ...

30. Krory

Not really.